Any comments?

jaigee
24th February 2006, 20:34
I recently posted this photograph, have any of the experts here got any answer or comments. My mind is a complete blank as usual!

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17816&nocache=1

nigelcollett
25th February 2006, 11:00
Jaijee

Have got the L+H Merchant Fleets book out of the library at the moment and having checked the profiles I can't find one that really fits. The nearest I could see was the STELLA built in 1880 for the Liverpool, Brazil & R. Plate S.N. Co and based in B.A. She was sold in 1984 for further local trading.

Sorry can't be more help

Regards

NigelC

Santos
25th February 2006, 21:25
Jaigee,

I seem to remember in my very distant memory, that L+H or in partiicular the Vesty Group, owned a couple of tugs scattered around Brazil and the River Plate.

I remember seeing one on a trip to BA and I am sure its the one in your pic.

Kind regards

Chris.

tell
2nd March 2006, 02:38
I made inquiries on here about a tugboat that was in Liverpool in the late 40s she was called George Salt, she made it down to SA under her own steam, ,It transpires she belonged to the vestey group, Sorry I can't remember what thread I posted it in .Tell

tell
2nd March 2006, 02:46
I made inquiries on here about a tugboat that was in Liverpool in the late 40s she was called George Salt, she made it down to SA under her own steam, ,It transpires she belonged to the vestey group, Sorry I can't remember what thread I posted it in .Tell
just remembered it was the LIverpool thread and Ruud gave me the info

jaigee
2nd March 2006, 11:46

Hi tell,

Just read the post, it certainly sounds as if that could be the one. (Thumb)

John Mepham
19th November 2006, 11:09
I recently posted this photograph, have any of the experts here got any answer or comments. My mind is a complete blank as usual!

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=17816&nocache=1
I remember seeing at least 2 tugs with L & H funnels, I know one was in
BA I have a photo of it somwhere, I can't remember where the other was, the first mate ( Ronsard ) told me they were owned by the Vesty group !!!.

Santos
19th November 2006, 16:44
Hi Guys,

Hope this helps

Luna built 1889 tug at Buenos Aires, 1894 transferred to Argentine owners (lasted until 1975 when beached and abandoned)

Stella 1880 tug based at Buenos Aires, 1894 sold Argentina.

George Salt 1936 tug, 1945 transferred from Blue Star Line, stationed at Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 1946 sold to Brazil renamed Sao Cristovo.

All tugs owned by the Vestey Group and operating in South America.

Chris.