Tressillian

dnobmal
25th February 2006, 16:33
Does any-one have any info on the Tresillian which sank in the fifties,I know she was one of Haines

treeve
25th February 2006, 16:53
Hello, I believe the Hain Tresillian was sunk 1890 or so ...

TRESILLIAN
Peninsular & Oriental Steam Nav. Co.; 1944; W. Doxford & Sons; 7,373
tons; 431x56-5x35-5; oilengines. The motprship Tresillian, on a
voyage from Montreal to Avon-mouth with grain, took a heavy
list to port on November 30th, 1954, when her cargo shifted in
heavy weather, about 150 miles N.W. of the Bishop Rock. Her
call for help was answered by the tanker Liparus which, however,
could not get near enough to take off her crew, but put out oil to
reduce the heavy seas. The crew of the Tresillian abandoned her in a
sinking condition and the Liparus launched a motor lifeboat to pick
up the survivors on rafts and in a boat. Thirteen men were saved, one
of whom died afterwards from swallowing oil. Another four men
were picked up by the motorship Ardglen, making a total of 16
survivors from the Tresillian's crew of 40.

Best Wishes
Raymond

Pilot mac
25th February 2006, 17:08
Tresillian was built as Registan for Frank Strick in 1944. She was sold to Hains in 1946. She was 7368 grt and 5039 nrt. Built by Doxford and sons Ltd, Sunderland. She capsized and sank on 30/11/54 when her cargo shifted in heavy weather 25 miles off Ballycotton, Ireland.She was on passage from Montreal to Avonmouth with a cargo of grain.
She was the fourth and last ship to carry the name Tresillian in the Hains fleet.
Tresillian translated from Cornish means 'The sunny place' it is also a small village on the Tresillian river near Truro at the main entrance to the Tregothnan Estate.

regards
Dave

Pilot mac
25th February 2006, 17:14
Treeve,
the tail you tell is the 1954 sinking of the Tresillian (Fourth).

Tresillian (1st ) sank off Italy 1896.

regards
Dave

dnobmal
25th February 2006, 20:21
Hello pilot Mac & Treeve thanks for info,I am a Cornishman but living in exile, too many grockles.

benjidog
25th February 2006, 20:45
Hi Dnobmal,

I bet the Spanish say the same thing about grockles from Cornwall (except in Spanish!) (LOL)

Brian

treeve
25th February 2006, 23:47
Lloyds Register Records are correct, as I have passed them on ....
Lord Inchcape of P&O made an offer of 3.996 million for the company on 27th October 1917 after the death of Sir Edward. The fleet was valued at 2 million and cash assets of another 2 million were held, and P&O offered 80/share to clinch the deal with another sum of 400,000 as compensation for the other Hain partners. P&O sold 50% of the shares to the British India Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., and these two companies remained the sole shareholders. A further move by P&O saw an offer for majority of shares of London shipowner, Mercantile Steam Ship Co. Ltd by offering them 1.485 million through Hain in late 1917. The fleet was managed from 1918 by Hain and the remaining shares were purchased by 31st March 1923.
Although the ships were of the Hain Line, the company and ships were owned
by P&O.
By the way, grockel is a Devon word, meaning people who come from elsewhere and who have settled in the area - gets used in Cornwall too; emmets is a Cornish word meaning visitors ( in a very affectionate manner ) - neither are derogatory, just plain fact.
I am Cornish - lived in Penzance for last 64 years, and love it.
Best Wishes
Raymond

dnobmal
26th February 2006, 16:27
hello Treeve I am from East Cornwall ,my grandmother on my fathers side was from the South Hams Devon,so I suppose I can use both words

dnobmal
26th February 2006, 18:39
Hi Benjidog yes there is a word that the Spanish use it is GUIRIS from the word GHIRIGAY.

lodestoneman
26th August 2006, 20:54
Re: Tresillian.

I well remember hearing of this at the time (1954) but thank you all for the greater details. I don't know how many were lost with the ship, but I do know the Third Mate went down with her. He was one 'Wog' Strange who trained aboard HMS Conway between 1948 and 1950.

alex page
26th August 2006, 22:34
If my memory isn't failing me when I was on the Nacella in the late 50's we had a 3rd or 4th Engr who was awarded the George medal for working the Liparus lifeboat engine etc.

Alex

slick
27th August 2006, 07:59
All,
I served my time in the Hain Steamship Company, starting in December 1958, so the loss of the Tresillian was in current knowledge.
The Senior Apprentice told me that rumoured cause was the "collapse of the feeder(s) in No. 4 Hatch due in no small part to the failure of the galley scupper over a long period during voyage, which allowed a large quantity of water into No. 4 Tween Deck caused the grain to swell thus wrecking the feeder".
Indeed to prove his point he filled a jar with wheat and then soaked it with water screwed the top on and put it in a locker and within a few days the jar had cracked and burst.
Further the Standard BOT Lifejackets(I think they were branded Victory) were then changed, in that the Kapok had to be in a polyethylene cover, as it was thought that the lifejackets were rendered ineffective once the fuel oil had contaminated the kapok.
Yours aye,
Slick

Split
27th August 2006, 14:24
All,
I served my time in the Hain Steamship Company, starting in December 1958, so the loss of the Tresillian was in current knowledge.
The Senior Apprentice told me that rumoured cause was the "collapse of the feeder(s) in No. 4 Hatch due in no small part to the failure of the galley scupper over a long period during voyage, which allowed a large quantity of water into No. 4 Tween Deck caused the grain to swell thus wrecking the feeder".
Indeed to prove his point he filled a jar with wheat and then soaked it with water screwed the top on and put it in a locker and within a few days the jar had cracked and burst.
Further the Standard BOT Lifejackets(I think they were branded Victory) were then changed, in that the Kapok had to be in a polyethylene cover, as it was thought that the lifejackets were rendered ineffective once the fuel oil had contaminated the kapok.
Yours aye,
Slick

I must have been around about that time on Strick's Goulistan. I was 3rd mate and we were carrying a cargo of grain from Basra to Copenhagen. No shifting boards or feeders necessary-- I've forgotten what the excuse was- just fill her up from barges in the river. The loaders lived on deck during the loading period and slaughtered a goat from time to time, much to the mate's distress, who used to pass out at the sight of blood. The watchkeeping officers used to have to go down the holds to make sure that the grain was trimmed into all the corners. The grain dust used to give one a headache and there were these preying mantis things all over the place.

Fortunately, we got to Copenhagen without the bad weather although I can remember one night in the North Sea with visibility nil and one big deisel ship passing down in the other direction too close for comfort.

I was a "pool" officer and got overtime and the mate used to give it to me rather than to the 2nd mate, who was a contract man. I took all that was offered but left the company after the one voyage.

Split

winton
30th January 2007, 13:31
Does any-one have any info on the Tresillian which sank in the fifties,I know she was one of Haines
My Father was on the Liparus, when she went to the aid of the Tresillian. He has a good memory of what happened.

S.Morgan
24th October 2007, 20:59
Hello Winton,

My grandad Sean Morgan was on the Liparus at the time of this incident and went out on a lifeboat to aid the crew of the Tresillian. He was awarded a Gallantry medal for saving life at sea.

Regards Sean

melliget
24th October 2007, 23:30
Hi.

Here are some articles from The Times on the loss of the Tresillian in 1954, the subsequent inquiry and announcement of gallantry awards:

01_TheTimes_01Dec1954_16_Saved_From_Sunken_Ship_Tr esillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/yoazum)
02_TheTimes_02Dec1954_Ten_From_Sunken_Ship_Fly_Hom e.png (http://tinyurl.com/24j844)
03_TheTimes_25Oct1955_Survivor_Criticizes_Lifejack et_Tresillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/yolhxa)
04_TheTimes_23Dec1955_Findings_On_Loss_Of_Grain_Sh ip_Tresillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/2z5sd7)
05_TheTimes_04Jul1956_Volunteer_Boats_Crew_Honoure d_Tresillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/2daczz)

regards,
Martin

PollY Anna
25th October 2007, 11:03
Hi Guys on a lighter note re Treeves post with regards to the ownership of Hains. I was on the Treneglos in the Med and the 2nd Mate told me to run aft and dip the Ensign to the Canberra which was passing us going the other way towards Gib. When I got back to the Bridge I asked why? and he said it's the Commodore ship I said it's P.& O. and he replied yes but they own Hains so that's how I found out about it.

Regards Ron

Bensjazz
30th October 2007, 17:30
[QUOTE=alex page;73421]If my memory isn't failing me when I was on the Nacella in the late 50's we had a 3rd or 4th Engr who was awarded the George medal for working the Liparus lifeboat engine etc.

Greetings Alex,
just noticed this post of yours regarding the Tresillian's demise. I was actually aboard the Nacella when the mayday came in, steaming N thru the Irish sea, bound for Ellesmere Port for our usual cargo of tallow. It was a horrendous day, we were making about zero knots heading into the weather so were obviously unable to respond with any assistance. Maydays were coming in thick and fast from a number of vessels in distress, a sad day in maritime history....Ben

winton
7th May 2008, 14:39
Hello Winton,

My grandad Sean Morgan was on the Liparus at the time of this incident and went out on a lifeboat to aid the crew of the Tresillian. He was awarded a Gallantry medal for saving life at sea.

Regards Sean
Hi Sean. Long time since I visited this site. My father remembers Sean Morgan and also George Souter (Able Seaman). My father Brian Winton (Senior Ordinary Seaman) joined "Liparus" at Ellesmere Port 12:02:1954 and was paid off at Swanea 07:12:1954.

Toni Bisson
9th May 2008, 20:15
This is the first time I've looked at this site... I was told about by a friend. My Dad (now pasted away) got a gallantry medal for saving lives reguarding the "Tresillian" has I never heard my Dad talk about this, I thought I'd ask anyone on this site for information... Many thanks

tmull
11th May 2008, 17:51
I remember some of the survivers being landed in Cobh Co.Cork. I was 14years old at the time.TMULL

melliget
11th May 2008, 20:47
The links to the 5 newspaper articles in my old post above no longer work. I've temporarily uploaded the articles again. Use the links below:

01_TheTimes_01Dec1954_16_Saved_From_Sunken_Ship_Tr esillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/3my3bx)
02_TheTimes_02Dec1954_Ten_From_Sunken_Ship_Fly_Hom e.png (http://tinyurl.com/429phf)
03_TheTimes_25Oct1955_Survivor_Criticizes_Lifejack et_Tresillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/4dvzgm)
04_TheTimes_23Dec1955_Findings_On_Loss_Of_Grain_Sh ip_Tresillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/3geu54)
05_TheTimes_04Jul1956_Volunteer_Boats_Crew_Honoure d_Tresillian.png (http://tinyurl.com/3hb3y5)

regards,
Martin

andclark
15th June 2008, 22:34
My Father was on the Liparus, when she went to the aid of the Tresillian. He has a good memory of what happened.

Hi my father was one of the survivors from the Tresillian which sank in 1954.

Andy

andclark
15th June 2008, 22:52

Hi,
What would you like to know, My father was one of the survivors and i have loads of information regarding the 30/11/1954

Andy

i.macsorley
21st November 2008, 20:56
I was galley boy on Ardglen when we picked up survivors and bodies from Tresillian,one being the 2nd engineer with whom I later sailed with on Trevethoe.We put survivors off at Milfrod haven and carried on to Manchester.We had been on Canadian coast for 8 months,Montreal to Newfie,Labrador and Goosebay.Quite an experience for a 15 year old.
Good health Ivor

Geoffrey P
22nd November 2008, 19:48
My Uncle George Porter was a survivor of the Tresillian in 1954. If you are a survivior or know of a survivor left off the Tresillian or would like some more information please email ( Email deleted as per site policy for your safety - communicate by PM and then exchange email addresses - Steve, Mod team) To my knowledge there is only 3 or 4 survivors still alive now.

Cheers

Jess

Colin Clark
2nd June 2009, 22:07
My dad was on the Tresillian when it sank in the Irish sea. He was 18 years old and an apprentice. Would be nice to here from any other relatives of survivors

Colin Clark
2nd June 2009, 22:12
My father Trevor Clark was an apprentice on Tresillian - he is still fit and well and i would like to hear from other survivors/relatives.

edtheduck
14th February 2010, 00:37
My Uncle George Porter was a survivor of the Tresillian in 1954. If you are a survivior or know of a survivor left off the Tresillian or would like some more information please email ( Email deleted as per site policy for your safety - communicate by PM and then exchange email addresses - Steve, Mod team) To my knowledge there is only 3 or 4 survivors still alive now.

Cheers

Jess

Hi jess,

Have just joined the site and have been researching my cousin Charles Howden who also survived that disaster. I believe that he was an Officer/ engineer but suffered deafness after being in the water for a prolonged period and was subsequently discharged from the Merchant Navy.

IOt is possible that he did not go back to sea again and worked tugs on the Tyne for a while. Later he served as a National Serviceman in the RAF befor marrying in South Shields and later emighrated to Australia when my family lost touch.

From my knowledge it is possible that he is still living as he would be in his mid to late seventies.

Regards

Eddie

edtheduck
14th February 2010, 00:51
Hi everyone,

Have just joined the site and have read some of the postings referring to the floundering of the SS Tresillian in 1954.

My cousin Charles Howden was a survivor of that incident. I believe that he was an Officer/Engineer bnut did not go to sea agin as a Sevbing mechant seaman but worked tugs on the Tyne for a while before emigrating to Australia in the mid 60's. It is possible that he is alive as he would be in his mid to late 70's.

Does anyone have confirming or new information regarding what my family have given me.

Regards

Eddie

edtheduck
14th February 2010, 14:48

Andy

Hi Andy,

My Cousin Charles Howden was also a survivor of that disaster. Do you have any information on his service with the Line. I believ he was an Officer/Engineer at that time

I believe that he did not go to sea again but became a tug operator on the Tyne then a National Serviceman in the RAF before leaving South Shields to emigrate to Australia with his wife Margery.

Regards

Eddie.

edtheduck
16th February 2010, 14:00
My father Trevor Clark was an apprentice on Tresillian - he is still fit and well and i would like to hear from other survivors/relatives.

Hi Colin,

I have recently joined the site and have some sketchy information gained from my family.

My Cousin Charles Howden was also a survivor of that disaster. I understand that he was an Officer/Engineer. it is thaought that he did not go to sea again but served on tugs on the Tyne brfor leaving his home town of South shields to emigrate to Australia.

He would be in his mid to late seventies so could still be alive but i have not been able to trace him in my research of my family history.

Regards

Eddie.

ows100
2nd March 2010, 21:14
Hi,

My father led the rescue of the Tresillian survivors, he was Chief Officer of the Liparus. I have a few other details if anyone would like to know more

Hamish Mackintosh
3rd March 2010, 01:00
Hi,
What would you like to know, My father was one of the survivors and i have loads of information regarding the 30/11/1954

Andy

Where and what date did she sign on? I was sent to join one in HUll a while prior to that date, but on arriving at the shipping office was told she had signed a full crew, and my sevices were not required, so maybe I had a lucky miss

Jan Hendrik
8th March 2010, 02:38
Is this her?
Photographer unknown.
Jan

ows100
9th March 2010, 21:06
Jan,

From the drawing I have of the Tresillian it looks remarkably similar and given that you can see the end of the name on the stern I think you have hit the jackpot.

Well Done

Jerry

edtheduck
2nd April 2010, 22:42
Hi,

My father led the rescue of the Tresillian survivors, he was Chief Officer of the Liparus. I have a few other details if anyone would like to know more

Hi,

Would like to hear if Charles (Charlie) Howden was among those rescued.

Eddie.

ioncomike
11th April 2010, 22:21
Jan, sorry but I believe the thumbnail is of an earlier Tresillian. The one that sunk in 1954 was a sistership to the Trevethoe and she had a raised fo'clse among other things. There was only 12 of them built, Hains had three and Stricks had five. I was in Tilbury and there were four of us berthed astern of each other.

Jan Hendrik
12th April 2010, 15:22
I only had one photo of the Tressillian, which I posted, but did not know there was another vessel with same name.
On the other hand some modifications could have taken place too.

There is another thread about this vessel which may be helpful.:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=4912

Jan

davidships
12th April 2010, 17:46
Hain had four TRESILLIANs in all, built 1890, 1899, 1925 and 1944 (REGISTAN until 1946).

Confirm that Jan's photo is indeed the 1925-built one. There is a photo of the right one in the Strick fleet history by Belt & Appleyard (World Ship Society 1996)

David

brimbra
2nd September 2010, 12:09
I was an apprentice on the Trevethoe and our senior apprentice was 'Janner Stevens from St. Ives. When he finished his time I,m sure he went to the
Tresillion as third mate and went down with her.
'Lodestoneman' thinks otherwise and that it was 'Wog' Strange. Can anyone
clarify this? (I also sailed on the Trelissick..)

Billieboy
3rd September 2010, 19:49
(I also sailed on the Trelissick..)

When were you on Trelissic then brimbra? I signed on in Barry september 1962 for the Great lakes and then Japan/Korea. I was sixth/Eng.

andrew clark
17th November 2010, 02:10

Andy

hi andy my name also is andrew clark and i am the brother of john clark who died on the tresillion he was 17 yrs old .it was aterrible loss to our family i wonder if there are any survivers with us today it would be so rewarding to speak to someone who new our john he was a steward hope to here from you andy,,,andy

andrew clark
17th November 2010, 16:17
Hi,

Andy

my brother john clark died on the tresillion he was a steward i remember when i was a boy a john pay visited us and said they went overboard together but did not see him again i would like to hear from someone who knew him.the impact on our family was devestating

Hamish Mackintosh
17th November 2010, 18:25
Hi,

Andy

Greetings Andclark do you know where she signed on and what date, thanks in advance H

andrew clark
17th November 2010, 21:05

Hi colin I am a new member of this site so still finding my way around my brother john clark was a 17 year old steward and if your father is still alive did he know him as they were very close in age I was only six when it happened and it is still very much on my mind not knowing what happened to him as his body was never found to my knowledge there were several bodies found in cornwall but could not be id I remember what an inpack this had on my whole family .

andrew clark
28th November 2010, 16:42

Andy

hi andy we have the same name. my brother john clark aged 17 yrs died on the tresillion.is your father still with us? i would like to know if he knew our john. my mother went to cornwall after but the bodies were unrecognisable. it wasso hard on both my parents.hope to here from you andrew clark.

andrew clark
29th November 2010, 00:53

hello colin. my name is andrew clark and i am the brother of john clark who did not survive he was 17yrs old .the loss of john had a terrible impact on our family.did he know him ,i believe he was a steward onboard.i would like o speak to him your father hope he is in good health andrew clark.

andrew clark
2nd December 2010, 03:29

how old was your father on the liparus i hope he is in good health andrew clark my brother john 17yrs did not survive it left a tear in our hearts to our family andrew clark.

andrew clark
2nd December 2010, 03:35
My dad was on the Tresillian when it sank in the Irish sea. He was 18 years old and an apprentice. Would be nice to here from any other relatives of survivors

hi colin please me i am the brother of john clark who did not survive aged 17yrs

andrew clark
10th December 2010, 16:59
Hi,

Andy

did your father know john clark aged 17 yrs old who did not survive?

andrew clark
10th December 2010, 17:04

did your father know my brother john who did not survive. he was 17yrs old i believe he was a steward it was a terrible loss to our family he lived in brighton thanks andrew clark

Superlecky
15th December 2010, 22:39
Hi Treeve,

Being Cornish myself, born in Penryn, grew up on a smallholding near Stithians until I was 17 when my parents returned to Penryn again; I thought you might like to know, if you don't already, the origin of the word Emmett. It is the Cornish dialect word for an ant, hence pile of emmetts for a crowd of visitors.

Ken Davidson
2nd June 2011, 22:36
Tresillian was built as Registan for Frank Strick in 1944. She was sold to Hains in 1946. She was 7368 grt and 5039 nrt. Built by Doxford and sons Ltd, Sunderland. She capsized and sank on 30/11/54 when her cargo shifted in heavy weather 25 miles off Ballycotton, Ireland.She was on passage from Montreal to Avonmouth with a cargo of grain.
She was the fourth and last ship to carry the name Tresillian in the Hains fleet.
Tresillian translated from Cornish means 'The sunny place' it is also a small village on the Tresillian river near Truro at the main entrance to the Tregothnan Estate.

regards
Dave

I was an apprentice on the Mv Trevaylor on 30/11/1954 when the Tresillion sank.We were in St Georges Channel bound for Leith The weather was very heavy,and we were very close to the Tresillion when she sank,The sinking stayed in my mind,because I lived in St Ives and knew some of the crew although time has misted over their names.
If my memory is correct it was the heavy gale that damaged the car ferry between England and Ireland I can't remember whether or not the ferry sank or if it just sustained damage to it's bow doors,does any one else remember this?

Ken Davidson
2nd June 2011, 22:41
Hi
I was on Mv Trevaylor as a deck apprentice only a few miles away from the sinking I remember the very severe gale on that night we were in St Georges channel bound for Leith I wonder if I knew your father? can you let me know his name please?
Regards
Ken

Haroldgaskell
4th December 2011, 18:18

Hello everybody I was the Radio Officer on the MV Otaki, I heard the distress signal, it was a very weak signal as the main aerial had gone I believe I was the only person to hear it, I relayed the message to Landsend radio. They rebrodcast the message and Liparus answered. We were going to go but the Master cancelled as we were hove to with a deck cargo of locomotives and couldn't turn in those seas.

esmay
28th December 2011, 22:14
[QUOTE=andrew clark;476251] to Andrew Clark..Did your father knows Clyde Webb?. He was 17 years old when the ship sank and believes did not survive. Is your father knows where they can visit their memorial place? It was terrible loss of our family. Hoping to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

Barrabhoy
17th January 2012, 21:19
Hello everybody I was the Radio Officer on the MV Otaki, I heard the distress signal, it was a very weak signal as the main aerial had gone I believe I was the only person to hear it, I relayed the message to Landsend radio. They rebrodcast the message and Liparus answered. We were going to go but the Master cancelled as we were hove to with a deck cargo of locomotives and couldn't turn in those seas.

The radio officer of the Tressilian drowned that night, Donald MacNeil, 18 years of age from Barra. His name was placed on the Marconi Memorial in New York in remembrance of his actions

esmay
17th January 2012, 21:43
The radio officer of the Tressilian drowned that night, Donald MacNeil, 18 years of age from Barra. His name was placed on the Marconi Memorial in New York in remembrance of his actions

Thanks Barrabhoy, just wondering anyone knows Clyde Webb..

John EDH
17th April 2012, 16:36
I was an apprentice on the Trevethoe and our senior apprentice was 'Janner Stevens from St. Ives. When he finished his time I,m sure he went to the
Tresillion as third mate and went down with her.
'Lodestoneman' thinks otherwise and that it was 'Wog' Strange. Can anyone
clarify this? (I also sailed on the Trelissick..)

I have been looking for survivors of the Tresillion and have just seen your quote. I believe Janner Stevens could be my half-brother Freddy Stevens who was the second mate and his body was never found. He was 24 years old. John EDH

John EDH
17th April 2012, 16:44
I was an apprentice on the Mv Trevaylor on 30/11/1954 when the Tresillion sank.We were in St Georges Channel bound for Leith The weather was very heavy,and we were very close to the Tresillion when she sank,The sinking stayed in my mind,because I lived in St Ives and knew some of the crew although time has misted over their names.
If my memory is correct it was the heavy gale that damaged the car ferry between England and Ireland I can't remember whether or not the ferry sank or if it just sustained damage to it's bow doors,does any one else remember this?

I have been searching for info on the sinking of the Tresillion. My half-brother Freddy Stevens was the second mate and came from St. Ives and it is more than likely you knew him. I was twelve years old at the time and Freddy was 24 years old. We lived in Salubrious Terrace. Do you remember Freddy? John EDH

ows100
19th March 2013, 22:29
Ed,

I have been in touch in the past with a couple of the survivors of the Tresillian and there are about 3 or 4 left. Having spoken to George Porter & Trevor Clark I'm sure they mentioned a survivor who lived in Melbourne Australia who was alive at the time of the 50th anniversary.

could it be Charles?

Regards.

Jerry

Hi everyone,

Have just joined the site and have read some of the postings referring to the floundering of the SS Tresillian in 1954.

My cousin Charles Howden was a survivor of that incident. I believe that he was an Officer/Engineer bnut did not go to sea agin as a Sevbing mechant seaman but worked tugs on the Tyne for a while before emigrating to Australia in the mid 60's. It is possible that he is alive as he would be in his mid to late 70's.

Does anyone have confirming or new information regarding what my family have given me.

Regards

Eddie

D4Danny
29th January 2014, 12:38
Hi, My father, aged 79 is the survivor living in Melbourne Australia. He was 19 at the time of the sinking. Happy to pass on any questions to him.

PaulHowden
11th March 2014, 18:35
Hi
My Name is Paul Howden ... son of Charles Foster Howden who went down on that boat.
I have good news and bad news ...
My Dad survived the sinking but didn't emigrate to Australia ... he married my mother Marjorie and had 3 girls and one boy :0) and 14 grand children and 9 great grand children. he continued to live out his life as a chief engineer for Zapata .... an American company ... living in South Shields near Newcastle.
the bad news is that on the 2nd of march he died.
if you have any questions i'd love to answer them. i'd also love to hear more about what happened? also .... I knew my dad had a cousin but didn't know where ...

anyhoo .... regards

Paul

Debs48
14th April 2014, 20:02
Hi I've just looked at this site,my grandfather was the captain William John Winter who died after he was rescued...he has two surviving sons who won't really discuss about it...I never knew him as I was born many years later but I would like to know about anyone who worked with him
Regards Debs