Coast Lines Ltd "SHIPS"

Rory
26th February 2006, 11:13
Coast Lines Ltd "SHIPS" Hi All;

I came across this article of a collision between two vessels in 1925 one of which was a Coast Lines Ship.

On 21st April 1925 White Star "Celtic" collided with Coast Line's Hampshire Coast but only suffered superficial damage. The Hampshire Coast was more badly damaged but managed to reach port.

There was a C-L Hampshire Coast of 1936 built by Ardrossan Dockyard, but the above vessel was much earlier,

Any of you have particulars of the ship involved in the collision? Any help will be appreciated,
Cheers,
Rory

Hugh MacLean
26th February 2006, 13:14
Hello Rory,

SS Hampshire Coast(1911-1936) Official No 131387.

There is a photo of her for sale at the (NMM) National Maritime Museum web site here:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/empower?DB=ShipsPlansAndPhotos

Rgds

Rory
26th February 2006, 19:16
Hi Hugh;

Thank you for identifying the ‘Old’ Hampshire Coast for me. The dates of “in service” help a lot. I went to the NMM Site, but I sure have always found it difficult to navigate those “official type” sites. I managed to type in the name of the vessel, and it returned everything that had coast in it. Not all bad as it has also somewhat solved some other ships I had questions on. At least the date of photo [I assume that is what I'm looking at] helps show earlier versions of ships carrying the same name.

Cheers,
Rory

Hugh MacLean
26th February 2006, 19:31
Hi Rory,

Yes, I agree they can be difficult to navigate if you are not used to them.
Just type into "Find" - Hampshire Coast then in "Subject" - Merchant Navy and it should be at the top of the list.

HAMPSHIRE COAST (Br) 50.3 1911
General cargo, short sea
Score: 100%, Matching: hampshir coast

(BR) Country of Registration
50.3 Internal museum code
1911 Date built

Rgds

Rory
27th February 2006, 19:05
Hi Hugh;

Thanks for the explanation of the various codes. At first I thought 50.3 1911 was some form of date unknown to me, and now know only the 1911 counts: and is the year of completion for merchant ships. I typed in [space Coast], and up came everything named X Coast, great. I then took a gander at their price list and had a seizure. A lot of very old Coast vessels there, and many of them ‘new’ to me. The reuse of the ship names seems very common with this company, but then too they may not all be associated with Coast Lines Ltd. I would like to find the old company postcards or even good scans of them as they are probably a bit cheaper.

Hugh, the years of service you posted did not come from the NMM Site. I wonder if you might know the builder, and some of the specs? Sure would be appreciated.

It would be nice to have a page just for Coast Lines Ltd, and interested parties to join in to share their knowledge.

Cheers,
Rory

Hugh MacLean
27th February 2006, 20:34
Hello Rory,

Sorry I forgot to mention that the NMM will take you to the cleaners. Their prices are a way over the top.

I have no more information about the Hampshire Coast except to tell you that I got my info from the Mariners List Archive (1998) Have a look here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/Mariners/1998-08/0903008649

The lady is enquiring about the same ship and even has a photo may be worthwhile dropping an email to her or posting a question on the list.

Maybe someone else on this site may have some more information.

There is some info on Coast Lines here:
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CoastLines.html

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Rory
3rd March 2006, 03:54
Hi Hugh;

I did check that website you mentioned, and saw your post up there,

Up on Ebay today there is a photo of Coast Lines Ltd. Liverpool, their "Aberdeen Coast-1903". This is another vessel I knew nothing about either. Somewhere there must be a Roster for the ships of this company. Sure would appreciate knowing where I might locate one.

The small image I am hoping to attach is for sale by auction on Ebay for interested parties.

Cheers,
Rory

Rory
4th March 2006, 14:20
Hi All;

I wonder if any of you fellow enthusiasts can provide some further information on these two coasters. The vessels were owned by Coast Lines Ltd. Liverpool

ATLANTIC COAST-1934 built by H. Robb Ltd, Aberdeen
I assume she is a 'near' sister to BRITISH COAST-1934 built by H. Robb Ltd, Leith, but that is just a guess on my part.

ATLANTIC COAST-1944
The info on this vessel is based on the date of a photo at the National Maritime Museum.

Any assistance will be most appreciated.

Cheers
Rory

Hugh MacLean
4th March 2006, 14:52
Hi Rory,

Atlantic Coast completed January 1944 as Liberty Ship John Sherman .

1944 WSA (Alcoa SS Co, NY)
1947 ATLANTIC COAST, Atlantic Maritime Co.- Panamanian flag (Boyd, Weir & Sewell, NY)
1948 (Livanos & Co, NY)
1950 Liberian flag.
1952 Atlantic Cargo Carriers Inc.- Liberian flag (same managers)
1953 Atlantic Freighters Ltd - Liberian flag (same managers)
1961 DEMOS A, Demades & D. Gioulis - Greek flag. (Livanos Ltd, London)
1965 Demos Special Maritime Co - Greek flag (same managers)
1967 Scrapped Osaka.

Hugh MacLean
4th March 2006, 15:16
Rory,

You are quite correct regarding Atlantic Coast 1934 being a sister to British Coast 1934.

Photo (British Coast) 1934 (Talbot Booth Merchant Ships 1942) not very good. attached below.

Rory
5th March 2006, 05:04
Hello Hugh, and Thanks as always.

Well! That EC2 Liberty threw me for a loop for sure. Just a bit big for many of the little ports we called on. As I mentioned, I only had reference to a photo listing at the NMM., and sort of drew my own conclusions from that. The ‘other’ Atlantic Coast-1934 sure does not appear on anything I try my hand to locate. I checked the “War Losses”, and nothing there, and neither Atlantic Coast nor British Coast survived with the company to appear on Bob Sanders very fine 1954 Ship Rosters.

I noticed the dates built for another pair of Coast Line vessels, and initially thought the ‘closeness’ a typo. Devon Coast-1936 and Devon Coast-1937. The former was sunk by aerial bombing on December 2nd, 1943 at Bari, Italy, during WW2. The other [1937] must have been something else when launched, and certainly up to 1943 when Coast Lines lost the former. Devon Coast-1937 appears on Bob Sanders Coast Lines 1954 Roster at BRT 972, but nothing for the builder or former history.

Thanks also for the thumbnail photo of British Coast this always helps. Something about “a picture is worth a thousand words”.
Cheers,
Rory

danube4
5th March 2006, 10:20
Hugh. Good postcard of British Coast in my gallery, Page3. You can down load if you want to.
All the best. Barney.

Hugh MacLean
5th March 2006, 14:15
Hello Barney,

Thanks, that photo of British Coast is of better quality than mine.
Many Happy Returns. Hope you have a nice birthday.
Rgds
Hugh

Hugh MacLean
5th March 2006, 14:33
Hi Rory,

Atlantic Coast nor British Coast survived with the company to appear on Bob Sanders very fine 1954 Ship Rosters.
RoryDo you mean Atlantic Coast and British Coast. If you check Bob Sanders site you will see they were both still in service in 1954.

I have a list of all Coast Lines vessels in service in 1942. Devon Coast (1936) 500gt is listed but nothing on your 1937 vessel will keep looking for you.

It may be worth emailing Bob Sanders for the info on the 1937 vessel.

Rgds

Rory
5th March 2006, 19:30
Hello Hugh;

I jumped the Gun on British Coast and Atlantic Coast not being on The 1954 Roster. They are there plain as day. I think I was confused with trying to find photos, images or cards of the two together with the Pacific Coast of 1935. Barney put up a fine image of British Coast, but the other two continues to elude me.

Would be most interested to know 'what and where' on the second Devon Coast-1937 was before joining Coast Lines.

Cheers,
Rory

Hugh MacLean
5th March 2006, 20:26
Hello Rory,

A little more.
SS Devon Coast (1937) Coast Lines
ex Yewbranch ex Lottie R.
This ship was still in service in 1963. There is a photo of her for sale here:
http://www.ship-photos.dynamic-site.net/index.php
Black and White photo for five quid (sterling) - better than the NMM.
Still don't know her final fate.
Rgds

Rory
6th March 2006, 20:11
Hi Hugh;

Great that you found previous names. I just tried to look them up. I found a sort of story where a person had signed on Lottie R back in the 1930s, but no other information on her. Did get a email off to Bob, and hope he responds.

Some time ago, Barney [danube4] had directed me to Vic Young in New Zealand regarding photographs of Coast Line ships and others. I am presently awaiting descriptions of many vessels from Vic so as to place an order. There is something like 37,000 entries in Vic’s database, but over 100,000 photos in all on hand. I have asked for the three ships I spoke of here also, but will have to wait to hear back.

The only Rosters I have for Coast Lines seem to have come from something like Lloyds, and are dated 1947-48, 1951-52 and 1961-62; they do not give a lot of info.

Always appreciate your [or anybody else] input here.

Cheers,
Rory

tom nicholson
6th March 2006, 22:58
hi i worked on the dorset coast in smiths dock fitted a new type of tween deck hatches wich were the full width of the ship they were chain driven by a winch on the lower tank top with gypsy each end first try ripped the gypsys of the winch and bent both shafts the hatches had no wheels just ran on tween deck steel to steel i dont think they were ever a success.
cheers tom (*))

Hugh MacLean
6th March 2006, 23:11
Rory,

I can give you a list of all the "Coasts" in service 1942 if that will help you.

Rgds

danube4
7th March 2006, 16:16
Rory, Hugh. Have you got "Pembroke Coast" 1912. If not try: //riversea.tugtalk.co.uk/memories/pembrokecoast1912.hmt
Barney.

Hugh MacLean
7th March 2006, 17:49
Hello Barney,

I think the ship rolled when you posted that address. This is the correct version:
http://riversea.tugtalk.co.uk/memories/pembrokecoast1912.htm

The Pembroke Coast that I have is the 1936 built vessel but maybe it will be of use to Rory.

Thanks for bringing the site to our attention, I have found a nice pic of the Shaw Saville Delphic 1949 on there. My father sailed on her.

Thanks again

Rgds

Rory
7th March 2006, 20:13
Hello Hugh, Barney, Tom and all,

Appreciate the input of all, that is the beauty of this wonderful site. I received the following info on Dorset Coast-1937 from Bob Sanders, and am grateful to him. Please tell me where Burntisland S.B Co is [was] located.

From Bob Sanders
Rory
Please see below details of the history of the Devon Coast supplied by my
friend John Stevenson.
I hope this is what you needed.

1937 LOTTIE R ON 14557
Built as Yard No 211 by Burntisland S.B Co ., September 1937.
Owners : S & R Steamships (Stone & Kelly , managers Ltd . Llanelli)

1946 YEWBRANCH John Stewart & Co., Shipping Ltd. Glasgow.
1947 DEVON COAST. Coast Lines Ltd., Liverpool.
1963 WINDSOR QUEEN. Queenship Navigation Ltd ., London.
1965 ELCA Progress Maritime Co., Panama.
1967 ELINI R E. Rigas & S. Fasoulas, Piraeus
1973 September? November Broken up at Perama by Spyros Sariktzis

From Lloyds List , Burntisland SB records and Schell Registers

Worked on her a few times as a shipyard apprentice when she was DEVON COAST
Regards
John
Hugh, I would be delighted to see the list of vessels you spoke of, and they will help very much. I insert here the C-L List from the Lloyd’s material 1947-48. I have rearranged it in Photoshop to be presented on a single page and all together.

I became familiar with George Robinson and his wonderful site a few weeks back, and George is sending me a CDRom with some C-L Lines material on it. Thanks, for pointing it out to me., Barney.

There are several references pointing to two books. I believe the second hast the same name. But is a revised edition sometime in the 1980ies or so. CLYDE & OTHER COASTAL STEAMERS, by Duckworth & Langmuir, 1939. I believe it is on the Simplot Site where it is highly recommended for the vessels of Coast Lines Ltd. I wonder if any of you are familiar with it [them]?

Cheers,
Rory

Hugh MacLean
7th March 2006, 21:18
Hello Rory,

Burntisland SB Co. Ltd, Burntisland, Fife, Scotland. I believe closed down around 1969 someone will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure.

I will type out a list for you as soon as I can and post on here. Hopefully by tomorrow.

I saw your request on Mariners. It's a good place to go for that sort of info.

Another book "Coast Lines" by Norman Middlemiss is also around but like it says on the Simplon site subject to some errors.

Rgds

Hugh MacLean
7th March 2006, 22:28
Rory,

Coast Lines ships in service in 1942.

The quality is ok so decided to scan and save my wrists.
Source: Merchant Ships 1942 by Talbot Booth

Also, Rory, you forgot to amend the Official Number of Devon Coast (Lottie R) as supplied by Ray on Mariners. Incase anybody else is interested it is 145577

Rgds

Ron Stringer
8th March 2006, 08:55
Please tell me where Burntisland S.B Co is [was] located.

Rory,

The yard has gone but you can find quite a lot of information from the local authority's site at

www.burntisland.net

Good luck

Ron

Rory
8th March 2006, 17:57
Hello Hugh and Ron;

Thanks for the info on the Burntisland SB Co. I was in the dark about that one, and will pay a visit to the site suggested.

Hugh, really appreciate the Roster for 1942 for Coast Lines. The book [Coast Lines] is held by one library over here, and shows up on ABE only in Australia. Not exactly conviently located.

The Mariners List is new to me. I have not been up there at all [if you do go there?]. I assume Bob posted my query there, and I have now subscribed myself as he sent me an email telling me just how to do it. I would like to ask a question on it myself, but am not sure how to do it at this time. Will give it a shot though.

Cheers,
Rory

Rory
10th March 2006, 02:31
Ron, I did visit the Burntisland site, and is most interesting complete with the list of ships built there.

Hugh, you mentioned the book Coast Lines by Norman L Middlemiss being around. I find nothing on ABE Books Search for it. I wonder if anyone might let me know where I might be able to purchase it, used book dealer or other. I seem to have found my sealegs on the Mariners Site, and have received a wealth of information on the vessel I asked about. The folks up there sure have the reference material available.

Any help on above will be appreciated as I'm not sure how to find these used book dealers.

Cheers,
Rory

zelo1954
10th March 2006, 03:22
Rory,

The yard has gone but you can find quite a lot of information from the local authority's site at

www.burntisland.net

Yes, good lists of vessels built. I find in 1952 a vessel named GUILDFORD was built for SEGB. Whatever happened to her? She must have either been sold, renamed, or come to a sticky end quite early on in her career.

Hugh MacLean
10th March 2006, 17:37
Rory,

I copy my reply to Mariners:

I never realised how difficult it is to get hold of this book.
You can try here:
http://www.biblio.com/books/70887799.html (http://www.biblio.com/books/70887799.html)

This is an Australian site

They have the book about 44 USD.

Rgds

Hugh MacLean
10th March 2006, 17:50
Hello Zelo,

Guildford. This 1871ton collier was built in 1953 by Burntiland Ship Building Company for South East Gas Board, London. She was 265ft long with a beam of 39ft and was powered by an 8 cylinder oil engine. The guildford was abandoned after collision on March 10 1954, and sank in position 54 38 31N 01 06 13W. She appears as foul on the 10m depth contour. Admiralty Chart No 134; no diving information on her is avalilable. Near the same location the Royal Navt Collier Lemnos, 1530 tons was lost on December 16 1915.

Rgds

Rory
10th March 2006, 19:18
Hello Hugh;

Good of yourself and all to help me find that one source for “The Coast Lines Book”. I am still wondering why ABE did not list it, as is Neil in OZ. It will be in the Post come Monday Morning, and looking forward to receiving it.

While I was pulling my hair out yesterday looking for the book, I did find the two editions of Clyde and other Coastal Steamers-1939 and Clyde and other Coastal Steamers-1977 as highly recommended by Ian Boyle/Simplon Postcards SITE

“” The primary information source on Coast Lines remains the classic Duckworth and Langmuir book Clyde and other Coastal Steamers, first published 1939 and revised in 1977. Both editions are necessary since many earlier vessels are omitted from the later edition.

The definitive history of Coast Lines is still to be written, although a recent book by Norman Middlemiss entitled Coast Lines is a readable brief overview, but subject to errors.””

The first I found in Madison, WI, and the other in The UK. I am hoping among the three I will probably know more about Coast Lines and their vessels than I can imagine. Well! Let us wait and see.

Thanks again,
Rory

Hugh MacLean
10th March 2006, 19:27
Hello Rory,

Glad to have been of some help to you. I hope you enjoy the books when they arrive.

Looks like we will come to you now for info on the Coast Lines.

Rgds (Thumb)

Rory
11th March 2006, 05:19
Hi Hugh;

I am looking forward to the new material. However, I am as pessimistic as always, and wonder what will go wrong. I am hoping they will cover the whole of Coast Lines, and not just the Parent Company. At least when these companies were under C-L control.

Burns & Laird
Belfast Steamship Co
B&I, City of Dublin SP Co.
City of Cork SP Co.
Tyne-Tees SS Co.
British Channel Islands S Co,
Aberdeen SN Co.

Anyway, I guess I’ll know soon enough. There are a lot of ships I am hoping they will address.

Cheers,
Rory

zelo1954
11th March 2006, 12:44
Hello Zelo,

Guildford. This 1871ton collier ... was abandoned after collision on March 10 1954, Rgds

Thanks for that. It was a bit before I started noting the colliers in the NE. I still remember Wimbledon and Corchester though

Rory
17th March 2006, 10:32
Hi All;

I am wondering if any of you might know a good source for a photograph or decent scan of either or both of these vessels. The 1935 Pacific is shown at the NMM, but the cost there is a bit steep. I am hoping a fellow enthusiast might have something a bit more reasonable. Any help or direction on these two will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Rory

mv PACIFIC COAST-1935
built by Ardrossan Dockyard, Yard No 357
Tonnage: 1210 tons Length: 251.7 feet: Breadth: 38.1 feet: Draught: 13.1 feet:
Owner History: Coast Lines Ltd
Remarks: Destroyed by an internal explosion while in Brest harbour. Captain H.E. Williams and three of the crew were killed
Previous update by Stuart Cameron
Previous update by Colin Campbell
Last updated: by Bruce Biddulph from the original records by Stuart Cameron

mv BALTIC COAST-1947
built by Ardrossan Dockyard, Yard No 404
Tonnage: 1306t: Length: 268.1ft: Breadth: 43.2ft: Draught: 17.2:
Owner History: Coast Lines Ltd
Remarks: Sank in China Sea 700miles NE of Singapore during a typhoon. Kuching to Hong Kong with logs. 28 lost.
Previous update by Stuart Cameron
Last updated: by Colin Campbell from the original records by Stuart Cameron

Hugh MacLean
17th March 2006, 13:33
Hello Rory

I have a copy of Pacific Coast. The quality is not that great. I will send it to you later unless someone can give you a better quality print.

Rgds

Hugh MacLean
17th March 2006, 19:41
Rory,

Pacific Coast (1935) Best I have I am afraid.

Source Merchant Ships (1942) by Talbot Booth

Rgds

Rory
17th March 2006, 22:45
Thanks Hugh;

Definitely the 'Sister' to Ocean Coast-1935. Nice to see this one. I was beginning to wonder about available photos of certain members of these C-L ships.

Cheers,

Rory

ruud
18th March 2006, 09:13
Thanks Hugh;

Definitely the 'Sister' to Ocean Coast-1935. Nice to see this one. I was beginning to wonder about available photos of certain members of these C-L ships.

Cheers,

RoryAhoy Rory,
Certain members?
Anyway I'm willing to share all my available materials, but if others don't, I can't blame them for that, sometimes people spend years and years to get their collection completed, so it is comprehensible.Here a piccie from rhiw [member here], so the credits to him.
Pacific Coast ©rhiw

Here some more piccies which can be found at his site:
http://www.rhiw.com/website_maps/ships_photos.htm

Rory
18th March 2006, 20:23
Hello Ruud;

Thank you kindly for directing me to the “Rhiw” Site. Tony has done a fantastic job up there, and he must be very proud of his excellent Website. Thanks also for the wonderful image of Pacific Coast of 1947, this particular Pacific Coast I do have the company issued postcard. I am fortunate to have the issued cards for Ocean-1935, Pacific-1947, Caledonian-1948, Hibernian-1947 and Irish Coast-1952. I never managed to acquire the Scottish Coast-1956 always in Burns & Laird Livery though later, I understand, she appeared in Belfast Steamship Co. Livery.

Perhaps it is the lack of never having had a formal education, but sometimes I seem to get myself into trouble with my writing. “Open Mouth, Insert Foot” so to speak. I don’t mean to go paranoid on anyone, but it seems like something I wrote has been taken out of context. When I Posted on this Thread “I was beginning to wonder about available photos of certain members of these C-L ships". I meant exactly that. Certain Members refers only to Certain Vessels [or ships], and not directed at people or fellow members of this or any other group. I was in particular referring to Pacific Coast-1935 and Baltic Coast-1947 at that time, and the abbreviation C-L is meant for Coast Lines Ltd. I do apologize that my writing may have caused this misunderstanding.

I do appreciate the continued support I receive from all of you, and I could not enjoy this hobby without your participation. This is a wonderful site, and it is the membership that keeps it that way.

Thank you all and Cheers,

Rory

tonyc3
20th March 2006, 07:11
Hi Rory.
I sailed as an EDH on the Devon Coast in 1958. I aquired an article from the newspaper the Ardrossan and Saltcoast Herald of 1936 in relation to the Devon. She was launched from the yard of Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd in 1936 by the wife of the chairman of Coast Lines Lady Read. The article goes on to give the measurements of the vessle and says " the engines will be supplied by John C Kincaic & Co Ltd of Greenock. Not sure if this is of any help

Regards
Tonyc3

Hello Hugh, and Thanks as always.

Well! That EC2 Liberty threw me for a loop for sure. Just a bit big for many of the little ports we called on. As I mentioned, I only had reference to a photo listing at the NMM., and sort of drew my own conclusions from that. The ‘other’ Atlantic Coast-1934 sure does not appear on anything I try my hand to locate. I checked the “War Losses”, and nothing there, and neither Atlantic Coast nor British Coast survived with the company to appear on Bob Sanders very fine 1954 Ship Rosters.

I noticed the dates built for another pair of Coast Line vessels, and initially thought the ‘closeness’ a typo. Devon Coast-1936 and Devon Coast-1937. The former was sunk by aerial bombing on December 2nd, 1943 at Bari, Italy, during WW2. The other [1937] must have been something else when launched, and certainly up to 1943 when Coast Lines lost the former. Devon Coast-1937 appears on Bob Sanders Coast Lines 1954 Roster at BRT 972, but nothing for the builder or former history.

Thanks also for the thumbnail photo of British Coast this always helps. Something about “a picture is worth a thousand words”.
Cheers,
Rory

ruud
21st March 2006, 16:09
Ahoy Rory,

Here another one for the collection, the Mersey Coast[569], built in 1938 at the Dutch yard "de Noord" for Coast Lines.
Btw, we do have a proverb over here in Holland, free translated;
"The soup will not be eaten that hot as it was served"(*))

Rory
22nd March 2006, 07:13
Hi Tony;

You and I were on Coast Lines about the same time. I was there in 1959-60, and good to hear from you.

The Devon Coast you spoke of as built by Ardrossan in 1936 was a war loss at Bari, Italy, in a devastating German air raid. The ship you were on in 1958 was [should have been] built by Burntisland in 1937, and had a couple of different names before becoming Devon Coast of Coast Lines post war. Tony, I am curious about company issued photos [postcards] of their vessels. Did you ever acquire or see any photographic postcards of your ship or other C-L merchant ships? I am wondering if they only issued postcards of their bigger, passenger carrying ships? Would like to know as I have never seen other than the big ships advertised by dealers.

Hello Ruud;

Nice image of “Dutch built” vessel. Always appreciated. I believe seven coasters were built for C-L in Holland during the 1930s.

Cheers,

Rory

Rory
24th March 2006, 10:16
Hi Tony;

Just came upon a pix of Devon Coast-1937 in one of my new books "Coast Lines" by Mr. Norman Middlemiss. Great book, but has a few errors. I think soneone at the printers put the wrong caption with the right name but wrong vessel. The information I have on the two is as follows.

Cheers, Rory

DEVON COAST-1936 (C-L=1936 - 43) 646GRT/1936 ARDROSSAN
2.12.1943 - Lost at Bari in air attack while loaded with high octane gas. 1 lost Steamer LOM set on fire and flames spread to DEVON COAST.

DEVON COAST-1937 (C-L=1947 -63) 972GRT/1937 BURNTISLAND
Built as LOTTIE R
46 - YEWBRANCH
63 - WINDSOR QUEEN
65 - ELCA
67 - ELENI R (Gr)
74 - Broken up.

Creese
28th March 2006, 13:52
Hello, I am looking for data of SUFFOLK COAST, which was a decoy ship (Q-Ship) in Great War.
Any info is welcome (chars, shipyard, fate).
Greetings, Kris http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/nowakkr/Usmiech.gif.

tonyc3
2nd April 2006, 00:03
Hi Rory.
I sailed on the Devon Coast in 1958 as an AB. The Information I have on this vessel I recieved from an article in the Ardrossan and Saltcoast Herald 1936. She was launched from the yard of Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd. Measurements given were Length: 199 feet. Breadth Moulded: 33 feetand designed to carry 900 tons. the article also states that the engines will be supplied by John G Kincaid & Co, Greenock.
The ship was christened by Lady Read, wife of the chairman of Coast Lines Sir Alfred Read.

Regards
Tonyc3

tonyc3
2nd April 2006, 00:10
Rory
apoligies for sending info twice. I missed your reply.( Getting old) Ha Ha

wa002f0328
13th January 2007, 13:05
Anyone got pics or info of Dorset Coast in early 60,s would be much appreciated(Thumb)

ruud
13th January 2007, 14:43
Anyone got pics or info of Dorset Coast in early 60,s would be much appreciated(Thumb)

Ahoy,
DORSET COAST
Built in 1959 by Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd.
In 1979 to Egypt and renamed EL HUSSEIN.
In 1981 renamed EL KHEER shortly afterwards renamed DENTON VENTURE.
In 1984 renamed OURANIA
In 1985 scrapped at Bruges
Here seen as EL HUSSEIN

danube4
13th January 2007, 16:41
I have pic of Dorset Coast taken from E/Bay. Any one know if it is o.k. to put pic on site. If not send me e/mail address and I will send it to you.
Barney. Same as Ruuds pic ,but in Coast Line livery.

GALTRA
14th January 2007, 00:05
Rory, Have you got this one? I'll post it on the gallery as well. ---- "Inniscarra", Built by Burntisland S.B.Co.Ltd; 1948 for Coast Lines as the "Brittany Coast", ordered in 1946 as a replacment ship to the ill-fated "Guernsey Queen" which was sunk by a mine entering Boulogne harbour in Oct 1944. She ran with the "Channel Coast" to the Channel Islands until she was trans ferred to the British and Irish Steam Packet Co.Ltd; in Nov. 1950 and renamed "]Inniscarra[/COLOR]" and registered in Dublin, Jan. 1953. She became a well known vessel on the Irish Sea for the next 20 years trading mostly between Liverpool, Newry,Dundalk,Drogheda and Dublin with general cargo and eventually containers She carried the last B&I general cargo from Dundalk to Liverpool on 12th April 1968 when B&I closed the service. She then went on the Liverpool - Dublin and Cork run for a short period before being laid . she was sold in1969 to Oldham Bros. ? Ireland. Renamed "Elni" in 1970. Sold 1972 to Mrs. Kyriaki D.Kallimassia and Mrs.Evangelia B.Dimopoulou, Pireaus, Greece and remamed "Ria". In 1981 L.R. she is listed as "Laid up,survey over- due from May 1979. Official no. 400016. 176'.6'' x 28'.1'' x 11'.11''. 584 gt. 280 nt 675 dw. Engine - British Polar 800 bhp. 11 knots. All the best, Charley.

Rory
14th January 2007, 03:25
Hi Charley;
Beautiful image of the “Inniscarra” of 1948. I believe she ‘sort of’ replaced the SS “Glengariff” out of Cork when the “Glen” was retired. I did not have a good photo of her at all, and your image is excellent. The Irish ships seem to be a bit elusive up on the web. Woody on EBAY does come up with one or two on occasion. I have found it difficult to get a decent scan or pix of the “Innisfallen III” of 1948. That ship was our alarm clock in Cork when I was growing up there.

There has been quite a few of the “John Kelly Boats” on ebay recently including some of the very old ones. A good friend of mine sent me this neat color shot of BALLYKESH-1935 (ex Baronscourt-1935), and I’ll include her here.
Cheers,
Rory

jock paul
14th January 2007, 07:08
I'm following this thread with interest: Do any of you have info. on the following vessel?
SCOTTISH COAST 1922 > PAMELA SHANKS 1954 > MARGIN 1955, SCRAPPED DURBAN '64.
Built by Inglis, Porterhouse. Yd No. 601p
1223 tons
I knew her in the early 60's and was always intrigued by her 'wrong way' engine which appeared to be the Strbrd. set of a twin screw job. Thanks, Jock.

Rory
14th January 2007, 08:30
Hi Jock;
I am not finding the same lineage for the Scottish Coast built Inglis 1922, Yd 601p INO 1146318. The Norman Middlemiss book on Coastlines, and other reference shows as attached.

LURCHER 1922
SCOTTISH 1925
ULSTER COAST 1938
AHERN TRADER 1954
Could there be some mistake here?
Cheers,
Rory

jock paul
14th January 2007, 09:29
Hi Rory, I got my info from MIRAMAR, but I have checked that entry again and it says LAID DOWN as SCOTTISH COAST. From there it says name changed to PAMELA SHANKS '54. Or have I misread this and was she named PAMELA SHANKS till '54? If so was PAMELA SHANKS part of COAST LINES?
Sorry for the confusion. Jock

Rory
14th January 2007, 09:54
Hi Jock;

That is confusing, but I srewed up on the comparison of Yard and IMO numbers. Failed to compare them correctly.

Your vessel was EASTERN COAST as built, and became Pamela Shanks in 1954. Both vessels were laid down by the same builder with the same name - SCOTTISH COAST for Coast Lines Ltd. Both were not named as laid down, but the second of the two did become Scottish in 1925.

Staying with my screwups for the moment.

Hi Charley;

I believe I confused "INNISCARRA II" with "GLANMIRE". Glanmire came to The City of Cork Steam Packed Co. Ltd. as a replacement for Glengariff. When I was thinking of "Inniscarra" it was the first one, lost in The Great War. That was a CofCSPCL ship, and companion of "Innisfallen" I which gave a nightly sailing between Cork and Fishguard back then.

Hope this clears up everything for you gentlemen.
Cheers,
Rory

jock paul
14th January 2007, 11:09
Hi, Rory, have found a pic of vessel I'm referring to as EASTERN COAST 2 at photoship.co.uk

GALTRA
14th January 2007, 16:12
Hi Rory, Not great, copied from an old Cork Harbour journal, but two for the price of one !! I remember the old Glanmire running to Liverpool in the early 60's. Charley

danube4
14th January 2007, 17:12
Bill, all the best to you and yours also. Pic of dorset coast.
Barney.

danube4
14th January 2007, 17:18
I don't know what happend to the pic i'll try again.

Rory
14th January 2007, 18:25
Hi Charley;
Great pix of both Innisfallen II and Irish Coast at the CofCSPCL Berth in Cork. I don't recall ever seeing the two of them there together, but Irish Coast usually relieved Innisfallen during her annual overhaul.

Jock;
Good to know you found a photo of the Eastern Coast.

Cheers,
Rory

mclean
26th April 2007, 20:21
Does anyone remember the LAIRDSFOX, of the Coast Lines group. I was Mate on her in 1968, prior to moving to Canada. Someone told me she had capsised with loss of live shortly after leaving Preston with a cargo of steel for Belfast. I have never been able to find out if this was the case. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Colin

Anderskane
26th April 2007, 21:02
Evening Colin, I've looked at Miramar index and they have the Lairdsfox being sold in'77 r/n Lilaida and scrapped '89.
One of the wee Scottish boats ( Hay's), the Druid, capsized past Preston bar about the time you're thinking of. She was skippered by Willie Ross of Islandmagee, as far as I remember all hands were lost that day.
Hopes thats of help, regards, Kenny.

awateah2
26th April 2007, 22:18
I think the 'Lairdsfox' capsized in Tees Bay after loading steel in Middlesboro after dropping the Pilot. The pilot vessel observed the bow just out of the water but there were no survivors

mclean
27th April 2007, 16:49
Many thanks, Kenny and awateah 2. The story I was told was that it was the Lairdsfox that capsized just after dropping the pilot at Preston, with the pilot turning around to see her going down. It seems that the two cases may have got mixed up somehow. I was also told there were no survivors. Regards Colin

Capt. Billy
22nd August 2007, 15:15
Hello I’m looking for a photo of a different S.S. Dorset Coast. This one was built in the Ardrossan Dockyard around 1936-7,as a 646-ton coastal freighter. Originally it was the Ulster Coast and then later the name was changed to the Dorset Coast. It was sunk after in an air raid 12 May 1943 at the port of Algiers.

K urgess
22nd August 2007, 15:29
I've found an "Ulster Coast" belonging to Belfast Steamship Company Ltd. (Ulster Imperial Line) of Belfast, in the 1942 edition of Merchant Ships by Talbot-Booth.
There is no Dorset Coast listed.
The Ulster Coast is given as 600 tons, built in 1922 with engines aft and is the only cargo ship listed under this owner. The remainder are Ulster - Monarch, Prince, Queen, Castle and Star. All passenger ships with the first three being 3,700 tons.
The Belfast Steamship Company was controlled by Coast Lines Ltd. in 1942.
Unfortunately there's not even a silhouette for Ulster Coast.

Kris

R58484956
22nd August 2007, 16:55
SS Eastern Coast. 1223 tons, Built 1922 by A J Inglis Ltd Glasgow.
240.0 x 36.1 x 14.6. 3 Cyl up & downer 18", 30 1/4", 50" x 36".2 single ended boilers@ 180psi.Built by the shipbuilders. Machinery Aft/ 1 deck and a shelter deck. DF, ESD. Code flags GWNV. Registered Liverpool. British flag.Owned by Coast lines Ltd. O/No; 145938

K urgess
22nd August 2007, 18:31
Coast Lines Limited, Liverpool.
Comprising also of British & Irish S.P. Co. (1936)Ltd., Belfast S.S. Co. Ltd., Burns & Laird Lines., Merchants Line Ltd.
Coast Lines don't list a steamship later than 1924 and list a "Dorset Coast" as a motor vessel built in 1936 but 900 tons.
British & Irish had no "Coast" boats.
Burns & Laird were all "Laird" boats.
Merchants Line had only one ship called the Silver Coast.
Coast Lines 600 ton cargo ships were -
Motor - Anglian, Antrim, Norfolk, Pembroke,
Steam - none less than 800 tons.
The only pictures are of British Coast of 900 tons built by Robb in 1934, Mersey Coast of 500 tons built in Holland in 1938 and Pacific Coast of 1200 tons built in 1935 by Ardrossan. They're all pretty similair being aft engined motor ships with midships accommodation. Some carried a few passengers.

Kris

Capt. Billy
22nd August 2007, 20:54
My information starts from a ships wheel. My father salvaged the wheel in 1945. Photos were taken of the wheel right after they left Algiers.

From the company MacTaggart and Scott Ltd. I got the information that the wheel was sent on 11-1936 to the Ardrossan Dockyards Ltd. To be used on the Ulster Coast (possibly renamed the Dorset Coast), for the Coast Line Ltd. I assumed that it was on a new ship. The ship could have been just overhauled and renamed.

From a BBC account of unsuccessful salvage operation. I found the Dorset Coast, was sunk in Algiers in May 12, 1943 by an air raid. It was referred to as a 646-ton coastal freighter.

On fishponds.org.uk/luftbri10.html I found the MV Dorset Coast listed as 646 tons

Now I found a picture of a Dorset Coast on www.photoship.co.uk/Old%20Ships/picturesdj.html , but I dont know if it is the right Dorset Coast because there is no date. I am ignorant on judging ships size. Can anyone help.

Billy

frickerley
24th August 2007, 03:40
Hello, I am looking for data of SUFFOLK COAST, which was a decoy ship (Q-Ship) in Great War.
Any info is welcome (chars, shipyard, fate).
Greetings, Kris http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f171/nowakkr/Usmiech.gif.

My grandad served on the suffolk coast as 1st mate in 1928. According to the notes on the back of his photo, she was built in 1917, and picked to be a Q ship while still under construction. In this guise she Carried RNR officers and an RN crew, and was armed with concealed 4.7 inch and 12pounder guns.
6 months after he left the ship(his last before going ashore, apart from ww2) the skipper (mr roberts) and 1st mate (mr mclennon) were swept overboard when half of the bridge and the lifeboats were carried away between longships & lundy. No note of the ships eventual fate though I'm afraid.

there's a photo here that has liverpool as the port of registry on the stern
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery%20Q-Z/S/slides/Suffolk%20Coast-02.html

iant
10th January 2010, 14:23
I came across this forum and thread while Googling British Channel Islands Shipping Co. and then Coast Lines with which it merged. The references to the Atlantic Coast were of interest as my uncle served on it, as an engineer, in the early 1960s. I have photos of this ship as well as the Alderney Coast from BCIS Co. if anyone is interested.
Ian

The Loftsman
10th January 2010, 16:30
Coast Lines Ltd "SHIPS" Hi All;

I came across this article of a collision between two vessels in 1925 one of which was a Coast Lines Ship.

On 21st April 1925 White Star "Celtic" collided with Coast Line's Hampshire Coast but only suffered superficial damage. The Hampshire Coast was more badly damaged but managed to reach port.

There was a C-L Hampshire Coast of 1936 built by Ardrossan Dockyard, but the above vessel was much earlier,

Any of you have particulars of the ship involved in the collision? Any help will be appreciated,
Cheers,
Rory

Hi Rory,
I am doing a history of all the ships built by the Henry Robb Shipyard in Leith, Scotland and in doing so i have 4 Ships built in Leith for Coast Line Ltd, they were British Coast, Atlantic Coast, Ocean Coast and Pembroke Coast, all built between 1933 and 1936. My history up to now is on my blog, and have not reached the Coast Line Ships yet, but interested in any photo's of the ships mentioned and any other info available.
Hope this helps you and you can find the blog at http://leithbuiltships.blogspot.com

Cheers

The Loftsman
10th January 2010, 16:33
I came across this forum and thread while Googling British Channel Islands Shipping Co. and then Coast Lines with which it merged. The references to the Atlantic Coast were of interest as my uncle served on it, as an engineer, in the early 1960s. I have photos of this ship as well as the Alderney Coast from BCIS Co. if anyone is interested.
Ian

Hi Iant,
Would be interested in any photos of Atlantic Coast if the same vessel built by Henry Robb in 1934 as i am doing a history on the yard using my blog for now.
Thanks

The Loftsman
10th January 2010, 16:41
Hi All;

I wonder if any of you fellow enthusiasts can provide some further information on these two coasters. The vessels were owned by Coast Lines Ltd. Liverpool

ATLANTIC COAST-1934 built by H. Robb Ltd, Aberdeen
I assume she is a 'near' sister to BRITISH COAST-1934 built by H. Robb Ltd, Leith, but that is just a guess on my part.

ATLANTIC COAST-1944
The info on this vessel is based on the date of a photo at the National Maritime Museum.

Any assistance will be most appreciated.

Cheers
Rory

Hi Rory,
Both were built in the Leith yards of Henry Robb Shipbuilders, British Coast was first to be launched in 1933 with Atlantic Coast launched in 1934.
Hope this helps

iant
10th January 2010, 18:55
Hi Iant,
Would be interested in any photos of Atlantic Coast if the same vessel built by Henry Robb in 1934 as i am doing a history on the yard using my blog for now.
Thanks

Hi Loftsman, I don't know much about the ship. It is likely to have been around in the 1960s if it is the same one my uncle was on. I know it was in Kirkaldy in May 1962 where he applied for a British Seaman's Card and was continuing service with the Atlantic Coast.
I have scanned the photo and could email it or upload it to the gallery. I've managed to attach a thumbnail here.
Ian

notnila
10th January 2010, 22:46
Atlantic Coast and British Coast were in Kirkcaldy"week about" in the 50's.In 1958 I was in the same Kirkcaldy Hospital Ward as the Captain of the British Coast,who had broken his leg falling down a companionway at sea.Forget his name now though.

Michael one
20th January 2010, 16:58
Devon Coast, Dorset Coast (and Antrim Coast) are all sisterships built by Ardrossan Dockyard for Coast Lines Limited (Antrim Coast had its Captains Cabin moved forward, a Coast Lines change, reaction to Pembroke Coast).

TSMV Pembroke Coast 1936 Built at HENRY ROBB, LEITH.
Yard Number 227.

MV Devon Coast 1936 Built at ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD, ARDROSSAN.
Yard Number 362

MV Dorset Coast 1936 Built at ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD, ARDROSSAN.
Yard Number 363

MV Antrim Coast 1936 Built at ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD, ARDROSSAN.
Yard Number 364

Try not to confuse the above Devon Coast with the Coast Lines 1948 named Devon Coast.

Take care

Michael

Michael one
21st January 2010, 22:55
Hi Ian,

I'd love to know if you or your Uncle have any BCIS (British Channel Island Shipping) Company Diarys?
And I would love to see any pictures of Alderney Coast (1960-66) as I've spent some time writing a history of the company (about 85% of the way through, I've worked back in time and now about the 1916 period, I'vee a way to go still).

I'm new to this site so was not certain if my email of yesturday got to you,

I know of a Tony Robinson who was a crew member on Alderney Coast.

The old Channel Coast (previous name) was a vessel my father knew, as Cheif Officer and then Master, though he was married in 1950, in 1951 the company allowed my Mother to have a honeymone in Alderney, travelling on that vessel.
I have some internal wheelhouse photos, showing her at the wheel of Channel Coast.

During the 1960's my father was Master of Jersey Coast 2, Guernsey Coast 2, and Southern Coast and his Chief Engineer on those vessels was Norman Manton.

Is it possible to approach you Uncle for his views of the company?

I'd like to know what he thought of the vessel, thats if he cares to remember those times? Names of other crew members, what he thought of the engine (Polar) or the auxilleries, or any phots of the crew members etc

At least his accomodation was closer to the galley than the deck officers.

Take care

Michael

TonyR
22nd January 2010, 01:11
Hi Michael, I see you are still toiling at your BCI Shipping Co book. it seems a long time since we were in contact on another site. I am still available if you need any assistance. I have a better printer and scanner now so if you would like my collection of Alderney, Jersey, and Mersey Coast pictures you are quite welcome. Regards TonyR

Michael one
22nd January 2010, 21:39
I'm glad to hear from you, yes I'm about at 1916 and going backward to 1853.

I've still got youe letter with four of your photographs, do you want them back now? If so I'll send them back...

My mentor Stephen Marsh had crossed the bar in November last year.

Hope you are well

Cheers

Michael

PS I've been off the internet for some time, till August last year.

passed away Hi Michael, I see you are still toiling at your BCI Shipping Co book. it seems a long time since we were in contact on another site. I am still available if you need any assistance. I have a better printer and scanner now so if you would like my collection of Alderney, Jersey, and Mersey Coast pictures you are quite welcome. Regards TonyR

TonyR
23rd January 2010, 01:30
Hi Michael,
I feel a bit like an "Indian giver" asking for pictures back but if you could return the one of myself and two crew mates i would appreciate it as the elder gent as since passed away(Jack Quinain Alderney pilot) and i have no other. Cheers TonyR
ps i dont want the original, an e=mail will do

stevemim
23rd January 2010, 22:52
(Thumb) Hi Ian,
I sailed on the Alderney Coast for most of 1965,Captain was Ron Hanson,Chief Engineer Bill Maynard,scouse greaser Tom Staunton,Bosun geoff or maybe Adrian from London cant rembember surname,A.B.Mick Pride from Birmingham,cant remember the rest,If I can be of any further help would be delighted,
Regards,
Steve.

Michael one
24th January 2010, 13:03
Hi Steve

Great to hear you served with BCIS, In 1990 Ron contacted me and I found out he was Skipper on a sand dreger, month on/month off.

He did not want to tell me about his time on board as it was common every day work and a bit boring to remember it...he did want to know about my fathers sea career in sail, like Captain Colverson (my fathers mentor or 'sea daddy').

Years ago he was Cheif Mate with my father, (I think I meet his son once at East India Dock on Guernsey Coast2). I don't think Ron was very tall.

The Master I want to find out more about is Jim or James Casey, I know of another Channel Coast/Alderney Coast Master Stan Palmer. In my father's early days he would take photos, and one is of James standing on Brittany Coast's deck.

Take care

Mick

stevemim
24th January 2010, 21:03
Hi Steve

Great to hear you served with BCIS, In 1990 Ron contacted me and I found out he was Skipper on a sand dreger, month on/month off.

He did not want to tell me about his time on board as it was common every day work and a bit boring to remember it...he did want to know about my fathers sea career in sail, like Captain Colverson (my fathers mentor or 'sea daddy').

Years ago he was Cheif Mate with my father, (I think I meet his son once at East India Dock on Guernsey Coast2). I don't think Ron was very tall.

The Master I want to find out more about is Jim or James Casey, I know of another Channel Coast/Alderney Coast Master Stan Palmer. In my father's early days he would take photos, and one is of James standing on Brittany Coast's deck.

Take care

Mick

Hi Mick,
Caannot help you with Jim Casey,but I did know Stan Palmer,although cannot remember him very well.Ron Hanson I do remember well,have you had any further contact with him since 1990? as I would be interested to hear of his whereabouts now.
If you have had any contact with former crew from my period I would glad to hear from them if at all possible.
Best of luck with your book,if I can be of any assistance let me know,
Keep in touch,
Steve.

TonyR
25th January 2010, 06:59
Hi Steve,
Even though i was in BCI a little earlier than you i have been following with interest your leads with Mick. I sailed with Ron Hanson on the Jersey Coast in fact he sacked me along with rest of the deck crowd on New Years Eve 63 in east india dock in the middle of a snow storm. i will always remember tramping up the road to the "Stack o Bricks" because he wouldn't let us stay onboard in case it cost him another days pay. I was in the Alderney Coast with Stan Palmer, a great guy once you worked is weird sense of humour out. Last i heard of him he got either injured or sick and went home to Harrogate to retire. Jack Healy was another "Old Man" isailed with, I was in the Alderney and the Mersey with him, he had a bit of bad luck a bit later when he lost the Guensey after a collision in mid channel with the Catcher. Did you ever sail with either John Parkes or Willie Trainer??? They were both mates in the Alderney. Willie was only about five feet tall and used to play the squeeze box. John came from Potters Bar and was a good ship mate.
I believe the Greeks ended up putting the AC up on the beach off Monrovia. Regards TonyR

wightspirit
25th January 2010, 16:55
Hi Michael

The wreck of the Guernsey Coast was located and identified about 10 years ago, lying in mid Channel south of the Needles, bolt upright with a huge V shaped hole in her port side aft where she was struck by the 7238 ton steamer Catcher (in fact, her location and description of damage tallies precisely with the details contained in the Report of Enquiry, which was how we identified her). She is still shipshape, though her masts and funnel have collapsed, and her midships superstructure has collapsed forward and hangs above No 1 hold.

Dave W

Michael one
25th January 2010, 23:37
Hi Dave W,

Good to hear from you, I've got you listed in my references as R205. I think Stephen Marsh (RIP) who had served on Guernsey Coast in1958 with Captain Lucas, he may of brought your diving book (well if the didn't he would of asked for it at his library)... I'll never know now...but he liked the vessel.
Midship section in number one hold...must have been some powerful trawler(s)to push that over with their streamed nets etc

I'd love to have known Captain Healy a little more (I did meet him and his wife twice in the CIs, when he was master of the Isle De Sark) he had some good Irish Navy yarns. (the one i remember was that he had a ships bowsprit go through the bus he was travelling on in Dublin).

Take care

Mick

Michael one
25th January 2010, 23:45
Hi Steve,

I did have an address and phone number, then after I got to terms with my fathers death, (it was five or so years after) but I had no response.
I lost two other contacts during that break in time as well...

Sorry I've no details, I recon he could or retired and moved.

Take care

Mick

iant
29th January 2010, 13:01
Hello Michael, sorry about the delay getting back. I do have a BCIS diary from 1964 that was my uncle's. It contains photos of Southern Coast, Jersey Coast and Guersey Coast, plus a few other non ship photos, eg the berth at Guernsey. I also have a photo of Alderney Coast which looks like an official portrait (aeriel shot at sea), copyright unknown. My uncle's photos also contain a number of "crew" shots, but I have no idea now who his shipmates were or which ships they were on, apart from a couple from the Menastone that he also served on.
Unfortunately my uncle died in 2006, just after he gave me his photos etc, and before I could elicit more information about his travels. He left the ships sometime between 1964 and 1968.

Ian

iant
29th January 2010, 13:10
I see in some of the recent messages reference to years that coincided with my uncle's final years at sea. In case his name is familiar, he was Patrick McInnes from Pompey.
Ian

Michael one
29th January 2010, 14:54
Hi Ian,

The diary photos would of been Skyphotos for the ships and once they did a run they would send one set to the ship's master (my father would give them away to the crew) i still have two of the samples.
Fotofite took Skyphotos over.

The Alderney Coast print might be a sample.

I have a 1965 diary, it seems to be identical, (with Southern Coast at the front)?

You might have a print of Ron Hanson?

Tony R your man on the crew photos, I would have to compare them with my father's photos,
Did your Uncle take any of the Engine Room or the Conrol Point (announciator to the Bridge telegraph)?

Sorry to hear of his death, I think Norman Manton is also dead by now.

cheers

Michael

[

iant
29th January 2010, 15:58
Hi Michael,
yes it is Southern Coast at the front, and the acknowledgement is Skyphotos.
Some of the crew photos I have do appear to be below decks somewhere, individuals in very oily overalls. Others are more recreational. Some of the photos are in poor condition.
Ian

Michael one
1st February 2010, 13:42
Coast Lines Dorset Coast, years 1908 - 1959

Dorset Coast 1, launch 20th may 1908, from W Harkness & Son Middlesbro'
sold October 1915 renamed Arbomme.

Dorset Coast 2, delivered 1924, from James Towers, Bristol
transfer to Belfast Steamship as Logic in 1929
name change to Ulster Hero in 1935
sold to JAA Gardener in 1945 renamed Saint Conan, lost 1951

Dorset Coast 3, 1936, Ardrossan Dockyard
sunk 12th May 1943 Algiers declared lost by Coast Lines after the war.
Raised and sold to French owners, renamed Galatee in 1947
later remaned Kaa, Isabel, etc

Dorset Coast 4, 1937, NV Boel's Schpsw& Mch, Bolnes
BCIS/BCT/Queenship Navigation as Saxon Queen till 1947
renamed Dorset Coast.
1951 renamed Matabele Coast and sent out to South Africa (engine replaced by British Polar in 1950)

Dorset Coast 5, launched 13th january 1959, Ardrossan Dockyard number 427
only vessel to be converted to 'true' ISO containers and not Coast Lines transport container mix @ 1969/70.

The Loftsman
7th March 2010, 00:06
Hi Loftsman, I don't know much about the ship. It is likely to have been around in the 1960s if it is the same one my uncle was on. I know it was in Kirkaldy in May 1962 where he applied for a British Seaman's Card and was continuing service with the Atlantic Coast.
I have scanned the photo and could email it or upload it to the gallery. I've managed to attach a thumbnail here.
Ian

Hi Ian,
Have not been on the site much but have now reached the Atlantic Coast Ship No 204 Built by Henry Robb in leith, as now shown on my blog history
http://leithbuiltships.blogspot.com
She had some history during the war which i touch on and have shown some pictures on the blog as well, if you dont mind i will also use ure picture as she is the same Atlantic Coast that you show in Kirkaldy in 1962.
If you could email the photo to me that would be great and i shall mention you on the blog.

The Loftsman
7th March 2010, 00:14
Devon Coast, Dorset Coast (and Antrim Coast) are all sisterships built by Ardrossan Dockyard for Coast Lines Limited (Antrim Coast had its Captains Cabin moved forward, a Coast Lines change, reaction to Pembroke Coast).

TSMV Pembroke Coast 1936 Built at HENRY ROBB, LEITH.
Yard Number 227.

MV Devon Coast 1936 Built at ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD, ARDROSSAN.
Yard Number 362

MV Dorset Coast 1936 Built at ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD, ARDROSSAN.
Yard Number 363

MV Antrim Coast 1936 Built at ARDROSSAN DOCKYARD, ARDROSSAN.
Yard Number 364

Try not to confuse the above Devon Coast with the Coast Lines 1948 named Devon Coast.

Take care

Michael

Hi Michael,
Wonder if you would happen t have a photo of the Pembroke Coast as she is the one that i dont have a photo of, to go on to my history of ships built by Henry Robb in Leith, i have some info on the war service of the 4 Coast Line ships built in Robb's and will be putting it on the blog soon, you can see at http://leithbuiltships.blogspot.com

Michael one
7th March 2010, 20:11
Hi,
Re Pembroke Coast, Atlantic Coast and British Coast

My main interest is BCIS vessels and I've noted the above vessels as the items were interesting:
From the The Marine Engineer:
Pembroke Coast launch, Mr WL Roxburgh’s daughter Mrs Mulyrue August 1936 Page 230

From The Motorship:
Devon C l 30.05.36 & Pembroke C l.18.06.36 1936-37 Page 142
The 1000-ton coaster “Pembroke Coast” Sept 1936 Page 194 (very good article)

From the Shipbuilder and Shipping Record:
Pembroke Coast Launched 18.06.36 Jan-June 1936 Page 851
Atlantic Coast first radar on CL ship AC Cossar Ltd Dec 27 1945 1945, Page

I did see some great articles on British Coast and Atlantic Coast in the above magazines, but failed to record them, sorry as I wanted to go back and find them.

Well my trips to London are limited as I'm now unemployed and don't work near the Guild hall library, which was great for the Lloyds Weekly Casualty Reports, or the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
80 Colman Street, London, EC2R 5BJ +44(0) 20 7382 2648
James McRae james.mcrae@imarest.org
which has the above magazines....

Michael Meras

Michael one
7th March 2010, 20:34
The Motor Ship article on Pembroke Coast has a good photograph of her and a lined profile/plan diagram, The Motorship is still in print and a web search will get you there. Make it khown to the Editor (with my book he was keen to know what acknowledgements I would attach)

Best of Lucl

Michael Meras

iant
9th March 2010, 20:49
Hi Ian,
Have not been on the site much but have now reached the Atlantic Coast Ship No 204 Built by Henry Robb in leith, as now shown on my blog history
http://leithbuiltships.blogspot.com
She had some history during the war which i touch on and have shown some pictures on the blog as well, if you dont mind i will also use ure picture as she is the same Atlantic Coast that you show in Kirkaldy in 1962.
If you could email the photo to me that would be great and i shall mention you on the blog.
Hi Loftsman, the photo is on its way. I used the email address on your blog.
Ian

eddyw
11th March 2010, 01:11
Hi Loftsman, There is a nice pic of Pembroke Coast on Photoship.http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20P/slides/Pembroke%20Coast-04.html

mstaves
6th August 2010, 07:44
Does anyone remember the LAIRDSFOX, of the Coast Lines group. I was Mate on her in 1968, prior to moving to Canada. Someone told me she had capsised with loss of live shortly after leaving Preston with a cargo of steel for Belfast. I have never been able to find out if this was the case. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Colin

No her sister ship the Lairds Field sank exiting Middlesborough with a badly loaded cargo of steel for Cork. My Dad said it was plate steel loaded last on top of steel pipe. In addition the old wooden hold covers had been replaced by metal ones shortly before the sinking. Leaving the calm waters the first wave that hit her in open water rolled her over with the loss of 10 men.

Dad was deeply upset by the loss as he was on the Fox at the time. I think he was supernumerary Master at that time.

mclean
6th August 2010, 20:10
mstaves, many thanks. I did get that clarified earlier. The master when I sailed on LAIRDSFOX was R.Gillis. Rgds. Colin

Mjroots
9th August 2010, 22:11
Can I just mention the if a ship was in service between 1930 and 1945, the Plimsoll Ship Data website has scans of Lloyd's Register entries for those years. Enter ship name to search.

http://www.plimsollshipdata.org/index.php

darren lewis
10th January 2011, 10:33
Hi Michael, I see you are still toiling at your BCI Shipping Co book. it seems a long time since we were in contact on another site. I am still available if you need any assistance. I have a better printer and scanner now so if you would like my collection of Alderney, Jersey, and Mersey Coast pictures you are quite welcome. Regards TonyR

Hello tony,jack was my grand-uncle,so if i can be of any help,just let me know.Darren.

Creole1948
13th November 2012, 12:41
Hi Ian,

I'd love to know if you or your Uncle have any BCIS (British Channel Island Shipping) Company Diarys?
And I would love to see any pictures of Alderney Coast (1960-66) as I've spent some time writing a history of the company (about 85% of the way through, I've worked back in time and now about the 1916 period, I'vee a way to go still).

I'm new to this site so was not certain if my email of yesturday got to you,

I know of a Tony Robinson who was a crew member on Alderney Coast.

The old Channel Coast (previous name) was a vessel my father knew, as Cheif Officer and then Master, though he was married in 1950, in 1951 the company allowed my Mother to have a honeymone in Alderney, travelling on that vessel.
I have some internal wheelhouse photos, showing her at the wheel of Channel Coast.

During the 1960's my father was Master of Jersey Coast 2, Guernsey Coast 2, and Southern Coast and his Chief Engineer on those vessels was Norman Manton.

Is it possible to approach you Uncle for his views of the company?

I'd like to know what he thought of the vessel, thats if he cares to remember those times? Names of other crew members, what he thought of the engine (Polar) or the auxilleries, or any phots of the crew members etc

At least his accomodation was closer to the galley than the deck officers.

Take care

Michael

Good day,

The Norman Manton you mention was my Uncle Norman, who passed away some years ago. I remember visiting him and my late Aunt Nellie many times when they lived in Welling. I remember his magnificent 1930's Austin 12/6 and a great collection of model trains. I knew about the incident involving the Tracker, but not much else about his life at sea, except what his brother, my Dad, who served in the Royal Navy, told me. His daughter lives in Sidcup.

Kind regards,

Rob Manton

Mike Kemble
28th December 2012, 02:58
I have been looking for a pic of the Glanmire (60s). The only image I found was of a Glanmire that sank in 1912 off Ayr. Retract that - when I did search before nothing - but now she shows up - weird!!