Clan Line Offices 104 Hope Street Glasgow

Peter4447
28th February 2006, 08:31
Greetings
Some years ago a retired Clan Line Master (who has since crossed the bar) gave to me as a gift, the brass CLAN LINE STEAMERS nameplate that had been on the main entrance of the Clan Line office in Glasgow. It appears that when the office had closed down he had "taken a screwdriver" to it !
This is now mounted on a polished board and is one of my prized possessions. Although I have tried many sources I have been unable to locate a photograph or postcard of the main entrance of the Clan Line office as it was. Can any member assist with this rather odd request please.
Many thanks for your help on this one.

Norman Trewren
28th February 2006, 22:03
I hope - no pun intended - you aren't looking in the wrong place, Peter - Clan Line Offices were at 109 Hope Street.

Regards

Norman

Peter4447
28th February 2006, 23:13
Thanks very much for that Norman. I was given to understand it was 104 so clearly I have been looking in the wrong place! (*))

ian283
12th March 2009, 23:20
When I was an apprentice on the Clan Urquhart,we had to go to school in the Liver Building in Liverpool,we were taught by a master mariner.I see the Liver Building on TV and tell my children (grown up now of course) I went to school there.The brass plate would not have been here by any chance.ian.

Peter4447
13th March 2009, 00:39
Hi Ian
The plate definately came from the Glasgow office.
The Master by the way was the late Captain John Chappell who was very well known in the Clan Line fleet by the nickname of Holy John. I believe he survived no less than four sinkings during the second world war.(Smoke)
Peter

Derek Roger
13th March 2009, 00:48
When I was an apprentice on the Clan Urquhart,we had to go to school in the Liver Building in Liverpool,we were taught by a master mariner.I see the Liver Building on TV and tell my children (grown up now of course) I went to school there.The brass plate would not have been here by any chance.ian.

I never knew that Clan Line used the Liver Building ? Thought it was only Brocks and Cunard . It shows what a sheltered life I led .

I wonder what happened to those lovley models of Cunard Ships that used to addorn the place ??

Happy Days Derek

sparkie2182
13th March 2009, 00:53
Liverpool Maritime Museum has some , Derek.

i suspect others ended up being binned.

Derek Roger
13th March 2009, 01:36
Good Good ; Thanks Sparkie . Derek

John Callon
13th March 2009, 01:59
Derek, Cunard and Brocks were in the Cunard Building, not the Liver. As for the Cunard models quite a few of them ended up in the Albert Dock Maritime Museum, 6th Floor.
Jon Callon

septiclecky
16th March 2009, 15:08
Hi Ian
The plate definately came from the Glasgow office.
The Master by the way was the late Captain John Chappell who was very well known in the Clan Line fleet by the nickname of Holy John. I believe he survived no less than four sinkings during the second world war.(Smoke)
Peter

Don't know about Holy John should have been Jonah

septiclecky
16th March 2009, 15:09

Sure it was the Liver Building as that is owned by Liver insurance. The are three buildings along the front there one is the Liver Building, second Cunard Building and the third the Dock Offices nearest to the Albert Dock