What do they do?

thunderd
1st March 2006, 23:16
There are some very interesting ships photos posted of special purpose vessels. Unfortunately they weren't around when I was at sea a long time ago.

I wonder if you could humour people like me and perhaps just give a brief description of their purpose. It would save me making a fool of myself by constantly asking what, to you, is probably an obvious question.

benjidog
1st March 2006, 23:34
Derek,

As a consultant, one of the first things I learned was that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Of course if you keep asking the SAME question then that is stupid.

Experts in all walks of life make assumptions that the people they are talking to know as much as they do. So I agree with you 100%.

People posting - remember that many SN members (especially idiots like me) do not have the benefit of your vast expertise in your chosen area and will not necessarily know what you mean without a few words of explanation.

Brian

vix
2nd March 2006, 04:52
Derek,

As a consultant, one of the first things I learned was that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Of course if you keep asking the SAME question then that is stupid.

Experts in all walks of life make assumptions that the people they are talking to know as much as they do. So I agree with you 100%.

People posting - remember that many SN members (especially idiots like me) do not have the benefit of your vast expertise in your chosen area and will not necessarily know what you mean without a few words of explanation.

Brian
Likewise with acronyms...I read a paper the other day that was full of them and I didn't know half of them, there are new ones popping up everyday!! Vix

gdynia
2nd March 2006, 05:10
There are some very interesting ships photos posted of special purpose vessels. Unfortunately they weren't around when I was at sea a long time ago.

I wonder if you could humour people like me and perhaps just give a brief description of their purpose. It would save me making a fool of myself by constantly asking what, to you, is probably an obvious question.

Basically with sailing on these vessels it was a vessel built and designed with a specific task in mind i.e. the one Im presently on was built to construct oil platforms around the world utilizing Heavy Lift Cranes to install modules weighing upto 12000 tons. Hence you got different types such as ROV,Diving,Cable Laying etc.Most of the Special Purpose vessels are termed Multi Purpose these days as once one avenue of revenue dissapeared another opened.Our present project involves completely building a oil field from scratch from the subsea structures to the accomodation and drilling/production modules including the linking oil pipelines between each platform. We can crew upto 780 persons onboard and that includes every discipline you would find in a small town ashore from Catering right away thro to Design Engineers etc. Hope this helps

thunderd
2nd March 2006, 05:56
Gdynia,

That helps a lot, as I said most of them are a mystery to me but I am still interested when someone like yourself is kind enoiugh to take the trouble to enlighten me, but then again, what else did I expect on this great site.....my thanks to you.

gdynia
2nd March 2006, 06:28
Gdynia,

That helps a lot, as I said most of them are a mystery to me but I am still interested when someone like yourself is kind enoiugh to take the trouble to enlighten me, but then again, what else did I expect on this great site.....my thanks to you.
Derek
No probs amigo this one Im on now is biggest Crane Vessel in World with maximum tanden lift of 14200 tons. Shes fully self propelled does 6 to 7 knots in good sea conditions. Goes on Dynamic Positioning on site or anchors(12)if required. She has full diving facilities onboar for shallow/deep diving. Its a warren of Work Shops,Fab Shops etc.Can carry a total of 780 persons of that 20 are only Marine crew.Our present work is placing subsea structures on seabed where we are piledriving 250 foot piles inbetween the installations. Never a dull moment. I dont think they will eer build anything like this again mainly costs plus they were launched for start up in North Sea. It was a big change from being in Conventional Merchant Navy

gdynia
2nd March 2006, 06:38
Gdynia,

Derek
Try these 3 websites as they give alot of inside info

www.heerema.com
www.offshore-technology.com
www.oilpubs.com

vix
2nd March 2006, 08:19
Basically with sailing on these vessels it was a vessel built and designed with a specific task in mind i.e. the one Im presently on was built to construct oil platforms around the world utilizing Heavy Lift Cranes to install modules weighing upto 12000 tons. Hence you got different types such as ROV,Diving,Cable Laying etc.Most of the Special Purpose vessels are termed Multi Purpose these days as once one avenue of revenue dissapeared another opened.Our present project involves completely building a oil field from scratch from the subsea structures to the accomodation and drilling/production modules including the linking oil pipelines between each platform. We can crew upto 780 persons onboard and that includes every discipline you would find in a small town ashore from Catering right away thro to Design Engineers etc. Hope this helps
Hey Gdynia, thanks for all of the translation stuff, I would never have believed all of that stuff, even if I was reading a Sci-Fi!! What ever happened to those 3 crew mates...De...Marc...Ation???? Must have walked the plank along with the rest of the MN? I can remember back when they were talking about 'Utility' workers (plus different names) it was frightening then...it's horrific now!! (K) Vix

gdynia
2nd March 2006, 08:48
Hey Gdynia, thanks for all of the translation stuff, I would never have believed all of that stuff, even if I was reading a Sci-Fi!! What ever happened to those 3 crew mates...De...Marc...Ation???? Must have walked the plank along with the rest of the MN? I can remember back when they were talking about 'Utility' workers (plus different names) it was frightening then...it's horrific now!! (K) Vix
Vix
Im here De is in Aziberjan and Ation is presently out in SE Asia working.Even though we are classified as a vessel the majority of our crew are Construction welders. We carry Field Engineers,Draftsmen etc. Just like a floating Construction site but very interesting work. (Thumb)
Theres a very interesting documentary coming to the Discovery Channel filmed on our last project in USA I think they are calling it First Euorepeans on Mars. Its basically about the salvage of the Shell Mars Tension Leg Platform after it was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

gdynia
2nd March 2006, 09:42

Derek/Vix

Please find some fotos attached these show the first part of our project. The piles are 320 foot in length so takes awhile driving them home with the hydraulic hammer
1. Unloading piles from Barge
2. Hydraulic hammer head
3. Half way there

gdynia
2nd March 2006, 09:43
Derek/Vix
One final foto
1. Get in you B-----d

vix
2nd March 2006, 09:52
Derek/Vix
One final foto 1. Get in you B-----d
Move over H.G. et Jules...Gdynia is taking over. Brilliant photography Gdynia, still Sci-Fi only more modern!! Vix

thunderd
2nd March 2006, 22:27
That's one hell of a hammer head