Garonne

Aristo
2nd March 2006, 13:13
I seek information on the fate of the 1959-built Garonne. Has she been scrapped and when?

ruud
2nd March 2006, 13:34
Ahoy Aristo,

Garonne (2)1959
In 1962 transferred to Trident Tankers,
1965 transferred to P & O Lines.
1973 sold to Liberia renamed St. Thomas.
Tons:24,097

Grandad
9th July 2007, 14:14
Are you still seeking info about the Garonne?

I served on her in '71 when she went through a typhoon off Taiwan and lost her main HP turbine. After that she steamed on her LP turbine and couldn't make more than six or seven knots, that's why she was sold... I think to a Greek company under the Liberian flag. Ruud (above) is probably right on the name change. She was an excellent ship with first class midships accommodation and I seem to recall that pre-typhoon she regularly made 21 or 22 knots. She must have been built like a Victorian public convenience to drift through that typhoon the way she did. The engine problem was the result of human error at the beginning of the typhoon, to the best of my recollection some dozy git allowed the port boiler to carry over.

R58484956
9th July 2007, 17:19
Greetings Grandad and a warm welcome to SN.Enjoy the site. A nice snippet of info you have given on the Garonne. Bon voyage.

Grandad
10th July 2007, 20:42
Anyone remember the Megna, the Garonne's sister ship?

Santos
10th July 2007, 20:56
MEGNA
1959 sold to Italy renamed Enrico M.

Chris

Paul Barford
20th July 2007, 12:38
Remember her well,
as an apprentice fitter at Brigham & Cowans in the late 60's/early 70's, spent days inside her main condenser retubing it.As I recall she had spent some time laid-up in the Firth of Forth prior to arrival on Tyneside due to the amount of distilled water she was losing.

Dave Edge
21st July 2007, 02:06
As Ruud said, renamed "St Thomas" in 1973. In 1976 sold to Union Minerals and Alloys Corporation, U.S.A., for demolition and arrived New York 20 February 1976.
The "Megna" that became "Enrico N" was a Nourse Line cargo ship dating from 1944. The tanker "Megna" was completed by the usual Nourse Line builders, Charles Connell, in 1961 for Charter Shipping as "Foyle", transferred to Trident Tankers in 1964 and the following year was renamed "Megna". In 1971 she was sold to Greek owners and renamed "Simfonia" and in 1978 was broken up at Castellon.

JohnGrace
16th November 2007, 14:20
I have a vague recollection of serving on the Garonne for a few days whilst she was actually lying in the river Garonne being transferred to the new owners. The name St. Thomas rings further bells but I have no record in my Discharge Book, probably due to short time served and not actually sailing. I did a similar job whilst serving in BP for a tanker that I think had been the British Beacon, did a drydock in Greenock around 1971 / 1972 before being sold to the Greeks as the Beacon. Again no record in discharge book as not sailed. I heard a few years later that the third engineer had sailed on her after transfer and was killed in a pump room explosion.

R58484956
16th November 2007, 15:59
Greetings JohnG and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

David Wright
13th July 2010, 15:43
Had my Trident Tanker's interview on her whilst she was in Falmouth Drydock!

John_F
14th July 2010, 10:39
I think the Garonne was on long term charter to BP. Whilst I was serving as a first trip apprentice on the British Glory, we had on board the future Mate of the Garonne who did a few trips with us to familiarise himself with tankers. His name was (?) Mattingley.
Kind regards,
John.

Fairfield
14th July 2010, 12:09
Couple of good shots here

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25031/title/garonne/cat/503
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40102/title/-26quot-3bso-have-you-got-those-cargo-temperatures-yet-3f-26quot-3b/cat/503

Superlecky
21st October 2010, 20:41
Had my Trident Tanker's interview on her whilst she was in Falmouth Drydock!

David, I had my interview for Trident on one of theirs in June 1968, but for the life of me I cannot remember which one. I think the engineer and electrical 'supers' were told to be on the lookout for likely candidates. (Jester)

Chris Perkins

father john
3rd January 2011, 10:52
I sailed on Garonne as a Deck Cadet for about eleven months, from about August 1960 to July 1961, I joined and left the ship while she was in dry dock in Falmouth. She was a fine ship with good accommodation at that time, painted in Orient line colours it had all the regular tanker people baffled (BP Shell etc).

RAY CLARKE
29th May 2011, 12:07
Joined Garonne Sept 1972 when with P&O BSD, as Electrician in Brodick (Isle of Arron).Did a 6 month trip then paid off in Greenock dry dock before she was handed over to the Greeks.Peter Malarky was a first trip Oldman and Freddie Blain was C/E/O.Mainly Running between the Black Sea ports and USA with Crude Oil, then East coast USA and Carrabean.Lots of memories on this one!