Mac Andrews

EBenarty
2nd March 2006, 23:21
Does anyone have anything on MacAndrews as my cousin Donald Sinclair was Master there for many a' year.

danube4
2nd March 2006, 23:44
EBenarty, I have pics of Palomares and Palachio If any good to you.
Barney.

tell
3rd March 2006, 02:22
Barney.
I was bosun on the Kyleglen of Monro bros Liverpool I believe she was a Mac Andrew ship previously but I don't have her history

Eric Wallace
3rd March 2006, 02:45
I sailed on the Villagus back in 1957,I dont remember the skippers name I have a photo of that ship if you tell me the year.Eric Wallace

Gulpers
3rd March 2006, 04:37
Does anyone have anything on MacAndrews as my cousin Donald Sinclair was Master there for many a' year.
EBenarty,
There is a potted history of the company here => http://www.macandrews.net/company/history.html (Thumb)

Tony Crompton
3rd March 2006, 13:10
I was third mate on "Ponzano" and "Pinto" in 1960/61. Left them to sit for Mates ticket and did not return as I was saving to get married so joined Esso where the money was better and temptations fewer.

They paid bare BOT wages with none of the little extras that some companies paid as there was always a waiting list for jobs with them. On the "Pinto" we did a 6 week round trip. Two weeks (sometimes including 3 weekends) in Liverpool then 4 weeks away to Genoa, Livorno, Palermo Naples,Valencia, Cadiz, in fact just about all the Spanish and Italian ports that
are so popular now with modern cruise ships. We rarely worked cargo at night and the Master used to keep the nights aboard (his hobby was walking so we never saw him during the day in port but on his return he said we could all go ashore with many resulting thick heads.) We were on a "Running Agreement" so all time counted as watchkeeping time for tickets, even though in Liverpool the second and third mates always went home for a few days.

Sounds too good to be true, which it was!!! Had to come back to reality in the end.

Master on the "Ponzano" was "Pop" Harriss and on "Pinto" was "Noddy" Smith.

Happy Days,
---------------------
Tony C

gdynia
3rd March 2006, 13:27
Third Mate on Goya Weekly run Southampton - Bilbao - Bordeaux - Southampton. Last vessel of the fleet to have a Macs name as by this time UBC were parent company

EBenarty
3rd March 2006, 21:19
Barney.
Yes I would love them !! My cousin was with them until they folded up and I believe he was on all their ship, he was in Salvesens and Ben line prior to that.
Thanks,
Billy.

danube4
3rd March 2006, 22:04
EBenarty. Pics are in Comments now, from my gallery. Barney.

EBenarty
4th March 2006, 20:48
Thanks but sorry I cannot find them !!

danube4
4th March 2006, 21:06
EBenarty, Click Gallery, scroll down to cargo vessels, click page 2.
Ship title NO NAME and ONE OF TWO. Are the ships you want. Barney.

EBenarty
4th March 2006, 21:16
I sailed on the Villagus back in 1957,I dont remember the skippers name I have a photo of that ship if you tell me the year.Eric Wallace
That is one of the ships he was on !!

Eric Wallace
5th March 2006, 02:26
That is one of the ships he was on !!What year?

EBenarty
6th March 2006, 21:31
[QUOTE=Eric Wallace]What year?[/QUOTE
It would have been mid sixties I think???

john freestone
14th May 2007, 11:08
I joined the Velarde on the 30 June 1969 in Surry Docks as Chief Officer and Jock was the master. We were loading for Gibralter and Spanish ports Barcelona and Valencia. On the return to Butlers Wharf via Dover he asked me if I had been inside Ushant and he took the ship on a real white knuckle ride through the Chanel du Four. I sailed again with him on the Churruca 20 Sep 1969. He was a brilliant shiphandler with great courage. Truly one of lifes rememberable sailors. Sorry it has been so long since your original enquiry but I have only just discovered this site. I am a Port of London river pilot and still go to Butlers Wharf occasionly but nowadays it is Passenger Vessels to the Belfast or Luxury Yachts to Butlers. Please let me know if you get this and I would be glad to fill you in on anything you want to know.
Captain John Freestone

R58484956
14th May 2007, 12:04
Greetings Captain John and welcome to the site. Thanks for joining the crew and enjoy what you see. Bon voyage.

eldersuk
14th May 2007, 23:02
I remember MacAndrews was always known as 'The Married Man's Company' in Liverpool - for obvious reasons.

Derek

David Davies
15th May 2007, 07:36
John
Welcome to SN. I joined Palacio (1926 one) on 27th July 1956 to get a few days sea time, I had enough by my reckoning but not the examiners. Jock was master and even then was a confirmed taker of short cuts. Palacio was certainly parish rigged, no gyro, no radar and no echo sounder, we used the hand leadline and the deepsea leadline (the watch there watch variety). Jock's party piece was as with you The Race of Alderney but as with you only homeward bound, it was said he only knew it one way. In my case the visibility closed in half way through and Jock ended up doing the maritime equivulent of hand break turns. Another time whilst doing his Gravesend to Dungeness pilotage he asked me what side of the buoy coming upahead he would pass and me knowing Jock I replied "the wrong side" to which he said "I don't do things like that" and left the bridge. We were taking military equipment to the French army in North Africa for their war with the rebels (FLN?) and had quite a good reception from them. Palacio had quite a good football team and we ended up playing a French army team with me as 3/0 being orderd to play as a trial. It was a disaster with their team being the most aggressive and violent bunch I've ever come across and to make matters worse part of our team were Polish and part of their team were German, what Germans were doing in the French army I don't know. Needless to say I only did one trip but in 1962-3 whilst looking for a shore job I sailed as Mate on Pozarica, Pacheco and Palacio (the new one). Looking back I had a great admiration for Capain David Sinclair a fine shipmaster and a great character

Hague
15th May 2007, 07:57
David,
Interesting post. Suspect that the products of our colleges in say the last 10 years would need an interpreter to comprehend your post. What! no sat nav. What's a sextant??

rothesian
15th May 2007, 08:18
In late 70's used to load Palacio outward from Sheerness to Gibraltar for Ellermans (joint trade) always had trouble getting started because customs insisted that bulk wine tanks were filled and emptied (water) to stop dregs of discharge being used for drinking ( I 'm sure on occasion they were too late)

David Davies
15th May 2007, 11:13
The mention of Palacio's wine tanks brings back memories. !962-63 I was mate of both Pacheco and Palacio. Both had 33 wine tanks situated between No1 and 2 hatches and divided by the pump room.We loaded bulk wine in Taragona with the wine being brought to the ship by a fleet of road tankers and loaded over the top through one pump and one hose. To avoid contamination we started with the white dries ie graves then onto the white sweeter wine ie panades then the dry reds ie rocoma and so on. Being responsible for loading I had to sample each tanker and allocate a loading schedule this entaled sampling each tanker and although I would spit it out at the end of the day inebriation had set in. To add to my woes the fatal combination of merchant seaman and free booze ended in one AB falling into a tank of panades whilst trying to get his share. We saved the wretched man but to my horror his tin of Capstan full strength had opened and deposited it's contents in the tank and floating on the top was a great white fleet of Rizla papers. Samples of wine were taken from each tank and on arirval in London the importers rep would sample them and give me a discharge plan, on this occasion he described the Capstan tobacco tank as "interesting" On finishing general cargo for the day I would shift ship to the wine berth,with or without the dock pilot, the "Old Man" always went home and left the ship to the Mate. Descending into the pump room with 3/0 (he later became commodore of the Cunard Line)we would spend the night discharging the wine to the bonded warehous and washing out the tanks with fresh water on completion of each tank. The wine fumes in the pump room had the expected effect and we both ended up p----d, how we never discharged the tank washings into the PLA vats I don't know or perhaps we did. Coming back onto the cargo berth for an 0800 start with or without the pilot was another matter but there were no breathalisers in those days At the start my shift ship technique was certainly somewhat hesitant but with experience my confidence grew and the final shift was carried out with dash and e'lan really being a cavalry man at heart. I got the bow in too quickly and hit a crane. I left the Merchant Navy next day and never returned

trevor12
9th May 2008, 22:39
Hi David,

I was 3rd Mate on 'Palacio' in the 70's.

Your story echoes mine exactly.

I had to take samples of the wine from every road tanker and write his reg number on the bottle.

The best job I ever had at sea.

regards

Trevor

trevor12
9th May 2008, 22:41
Anyone have a photo of 'Palacio'

Thanks

Trevor

Eric Wallace
10th May 2008, 02:33
[quote=Eric Wallace]What year?[/QUOTE
It would have been mid sixties I think???

No,it was 1957,my first job as 4th/Eng we run from london to Portugal and spain.wonderfull time,I left because I wanted to go home to Scotland for Christmas.cant remember any names but do have some photos.the lecky was a frenchman who had witnessed the nazi occupation.

awateah2
10th May 2008, 02:49
Captain Freestone, were you ever 3rd Mate on the 'Melika' in 1965 ? memories of Cadiz drydock. regards

Ron Stringer
10th May 2008, 07:46
Moderators ahoy.

Is there any reason why a thread about MacAndrews is on the Bank Line forum. Should it have its own forum or be somewhere else?

David Davies
10th May 2008, 09:39
Moderators ahoy.

Is there any reason why a thread about MacAndrews is on the Bank Line forum. Should it have its own forum or be somewhere else?

I always understood that Bank Line, Mac Andrews and United Baltic were in the same group. Captain Kenyon, whom I sailed with on Pacheco in Mac Andrews became marine superintendent with Bank Line.

pete
10th May 2008, 11:10
You are right David, they all came under the Andrew Weir canopy as did things like Loncala Phosphate of Florida, Greyhound Buses and for a while controlling interests in BPC and also Burns Philp both in the Suth Pacific. I also heard tell of interests in LPPPC but have no confirmation on this matter. Interesting that a company with such far ranging interests should be bought to it's knees by a bunch of "Number Crunchers"..........................pete

Ron Stringer
10th May 2008, 16:51
You are right David, they all came under the Andrew Weir canopy

So you live and learn! I never knew that Andrew Weir's 'empire' included MacAndrews. From memory, although Bank Line were firm Marconi customers, MacAndrews were in the IMR camp, which made me disassociate them.

howard james
23rd July 2008, 22:05

hi , was in a couple of mac's Verdaguer ,Velarde out of liverpool i recall a chief officer called Sinclair around 1961 to 1963

MikeK
24th July 2008, 08:40
Hello there, I know Don Sinclair's name from my earlier time with UBC/Macs, but the details have been lost in the mists of becoming a BOF ! I'm sure he was either Master or Ch Mate on the Baltic Arrow. Either way I'm sure he crossed over to the 'Balboats'

Mike

EBenarty
21st August 2008, 22:14
That must have been my cousin Donald as he was known in MacAndrews as Jock. He diied about 6 years ago.

EBenarty
21st August 2008, 22:26
Yes UCB he had aheart attack in Germany !! But survived for agood few years !!

MikeK
22nd August 2008, 09:18
Yes UCB he had aheart attack in Germany !! But survived for agood few years !!

Sorry to hear that, another one of the 'old brigade' left us, and so we shuffle up the queue, where's that bottle (Thumb)

Mike

jax123
22nd August 2008, 15:08
In late 70's used to load Palacio outward from Sheerness to Gibraltar for Ellermans (joint trade) always had trouble getting started because customs insisted that bulk wine tanks were filled and emptied (water) to stop dregs of discharge being used for drinking ( I 'm sure on occasion they were too late)
Was no problem about the wine tanks on the Palacio. We all had various disguised containers filled long before the ship reached UK and you could always get pissed on the tank fumes while discharging though that tended to leave you with a real nasty headache.
The rules stated that 2nd mates, who did the loading and discharge of the tanks, were only allowed 3 or 4 four round trips and had to take at least one off to sober up!

Tony Crompton
22nd August 2008, 15:49
re Post No.27, was that Len Kenyon?

He was mate on the "Pinto" when I was third mate in 1960/61. He relieved Frank Merino.

Tony