Tiger Bay

dave beaumont
3rd March 2006, 07:36
Does anyone no the name of the ship that was in the movie Tiger Bay starring a young Hayley Mills,John Mills and Horst Bochlest? She looks British although in the movie she is registered in Caracus, name used cant remember.

ruud
3rd March 2006, 09:24
Ahoy Dave,

Not sure, but it was a Castle, either Cardiff or Bristol Castle from P&A Campbell

Ron Stringer
3rd March 2006, 09:35
Does anyone no the name of the ship that was in the movie Tiger Bay starring a young Hayley Mills,John Mills and Horst Bochlest? She looks British although in the movie she is registered in Caracus, name used cant remember.
The name of the Mate of the ship was Caracas and, in the film, the ship was called the "Paloma". See http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/492613/synopsis.html.

I also saw the mention of the P & A Campbell ships "Cardiff Castle" or "Bristol Castle" on the Mersey Shipping website www.merseyshipping.co.uk/ features/ShipsOnFilm/shipsonfilm.htm but I think that they were both paddle-driven pleasure steamers, so if either one of them did appear in the film it might not have been in the "starring" role. The hunt goes on.
Ron

dave beaumont
3rd March 2006, 12:03
She was definatly not a small ship like a paddle steamer. She looked about 8-10,000 tons cargo ship. Yes she was the Paloma but sure regd. Caracas. Thanks anyway guys.

veralum
3rd April 2012, 14:02
was watching film earlier and can quite clearly see name is painted over a welded on name, bit of research came up with this

“Oswestry Grange was the third ship of that name, a Doxford of 13,390 deadweight and relatively modern,” says Oswestry’s radio officer, Barry Johnson, who has fond memories of his days onboard. “She was built in 1952 and I remember seeing her again in Buenos Aires in 1966.