starella - converted trawler photo wanted help

don
3rd March 2006, 21:52
can somebody find a picture of the starella she was a converted Hull trawler,
i think she was with boyd line or j. marrs in the late 70s and 80s. and had state of the art equipment way before her time in the 80s, dr ballard sailed on her when he went to look for the bismark.
thank you all i appreciate any help. don.

(Applause)

Bruce Carson
3rd March 2006, 22:16
Don--
Not very good quality, but there's a couple of pictures here:

http://www.fleetwood-trawlers.connectfree.co.uk/starella.html

Bruce C.

don
11th March 2006, 21:46
hi bruce
thnks for your help but thats not the right ship dr ballard was on, he was on a converted trawler which was called starella, not the actual trawler starella.

Trawldoor
12th March 2006, 15:04
Thers a picture in Bob Ballards book...'The Discovery of the Bismarck' published by Hodder and Stoughton. I am sure you'll find a copy on abebooks

don
12th March 2006, 19:45
hi trawldoor
do you know were i can find this link or book on the internet, have you deen the photo of the starella. let us know thnks don

trawlercook
12th March 2006, 20:38
hi don the ship dr ballard went on was the converted trawler called the swanella,it was loaned of a subsidury company of marr trawlers of hull which was called marr internatonal .all their ships were stern trawlers that could no longer go fishing many of them turned to sismic survey ships i know this is correct as i was the cook of the swanella for quite a while and when i moved back to hull i went for a walk down the old fish dock and i was talking to the skipper who i had sailed with years before and we were talking about old times when he was a deck hand on the ship and he was now the skipper and he told me all about his work now fishing has finished and what he was up to and he told me all about looking for the bismark and several other jobs he has done with the old girl.hope this helps

Santos
12th March 2006, 22:18
Hi Don,

Nice pic of the Swanella at the following :-

http://www.shipphotos.co.uk/pages/swanella.htm

Hope it helps, kind regards

Chris

Trawldoor
12th March 2006, 23:51
Don,

Trawlercook is wrong. I worked for Marr's and I know the history of the ship for sure..I repeat it here..It is fact. TC is correct re Marr's stern trawlers, some were converted for various survey roles. As for Starella...

'Starella' was ex Subsea2 ex San Simone Secondo ex Genepesca IXO-69

Built 1965 Venice 1161 GRT 408 Net. L,b,d = 73.00m; 11.03; 4.62

Designation - Submersible mother ship

Acquired by Marr 17.4.79 : Sold 10.2.89 to New Holland Shipyard Ltd for scrap.

I have seen the picture in the book. It is taken from Stbd side frrd from a small boat of somekind. I would try www.abebooks.co.uk they do seconhand books. I dont have a scanner or I would have scanned it for you.

Cheers

TD

p.s. Swanella was sold to Kaare Misje of Norway in 1981 for conversion to DSV - renamed Archimedes. i last heard of her as Seaway Commander

don
13th March 2006, 00:14
trawldoor
thnks for that info, i new it wasnt the trawler starella, everybody is saying, there all wrong, i think your version is deffinitley right.
i would love a photo of this, starella ship dr ballard was on.

thnks trawldoor for your help. don

ruud
13th March 2006, 08:35
Ahoy TD,
p.s. Swanella was sold to Kaare Misje of Norway in 1981 for conversion to DSV - renamed Archimedes. i last heard of her as Seaway CommanderNow called ALLIED COMMANDER for BROOKLYN SHIPPING

Trawldoor
13th March 2006, 09:56
Don,

No problem mate, I think the book is your best bet but I will look around the web and stuff.

Ruud,

Thanks, it is amazing what you find out on this site.

TD

Quiney
4th October 2008, 00:21
I was on the Starella during 1978 sailing out of Fleetwood. All of the ...ella trawers belonged to J Marrs.

She had been used for mini-sub work (don't know where) and still had the large square 'house' for the sub on the aft working deck.

The trip that I did, she was acting as fishery support vessel. We carried doctor, met man and myself as electronics officer, and we followed the fishing fleet up round the top of Norway, right up to the Russia waters.

Another 'extra' person we had on board was and RNR guy (retired RN). The Rn had fitted a bit of kit for measuring the water tempurature from surface to sea-bed. Every 6 hours we dropped a disposable sensor over the side and the results we encoded and sent back to the Admiralty (it was used for nuclear subs - I think)

lochluichart
4th October 2008, 08:55
Quiney,
I suspect the device is what is known as a temperature, salinity dip.
It is used in seismic acquisition to measure as it implies the temperature and salinity of the seawater at set time intervals as it sinks. In seismic the data is used for two purposes one for adjusting the negative bouyancy of the cable so it "floats" at the required depth and two to calaibrate the reflected and recorded sound waves as the speed of sound in water is affected by these elements.
I could see the link to subs as the towed array used by then for detecting opposition is very similar to seismic acquisition equipment used in oil industry.

rickles23
4th October 2008, 09:18
No picture but a good story:
http://www.fleetwoodtoday.co.uk/seascape/MEMORIES-OF-TRAWLER-STARELLA.1216124.jp
Regards

rickles23
4th October 2008, 14:17
Finally found a photograph for you of Bob Ballard's Starella!
Regards

danube4
4th October 2008, 15:57
And an other. from www.metoffice.gov.uk

Quiney
4th October 2008, 16:27
Quiney,
I suspect the device is what is known as a temperature, salinity dip.
It is used in seismic acquisition to measure as it implies the temperature and salinity of the seawater at set time intervals as it sinks. In seismic the data is used for two purposes one for adjusting the negative bouyancy of the cable so it "floats" at the required depth and two to calaibrate the reflected and recorded sound waves as the speed of sound in water is affected by these elements.
I could see the link to subs as the towed array used by then for detecting opposition is very similar to seismic acquisition equipment used in oil industry.

I have been looking round another site and now remember it was a bathythermograph.
What looked like a lenght of 3" rain pipe was 'loaded' with a cartridge. When the trigger was pulled a teardrop shaped weight plopped out trailing behind a wery fine shellac covered set of wires (can't remember exactly how many - probably 2 or 3 - about hair thickness and all stuck together.
There was a connecting cable between the louncher and the recording equipment.
The RNR chappie said that it was costing a couple of hundred pounds everytime one was used (remember this was back in the late seventies)

nhp651
4th October 2008, 16:52
another view of Starella, ex subsea2 taken from the book The Marr story byMichael Thompson.

Quiney
4th October 2008, 17:30
nhp651 - that pic is just how I remember her. Although we were sailing on fishery support she still had the large box on the aft deck
(and I also vaguely remember the name Subsea2)

Mark Taxis
5th October 2008, 01:51
One of Marrs trawlers the Marbella became the Northern Horizon, Ocean Boomer and then the John Lethbridge.
This vessel visited the site of the Titantic with Bob Ballard, I also thought they filmed the Bismark tv show from this vessel

palanaghan
1st November 2008, 16:36
I sailed as second mate on the Starella with the Wood's Hole people including Dr Ballard - on the mediterranean leg, as I recall she had been called previously the "Penta pesca ###" I cannot remember the exact name.

spike361
18th January 2011, 23:36
i did four trips as galley boy on starella in 1974 sailing out of hull...the vessel i worked on was a sidewinder...skipper was a huge guy called johnson...nicknamed "johnno"