MV Southsea

Stevo
3rd March 2006, 21:16
Has anyone got a picture of either the former Ryde - Portsmouth (IOW ferries)MV Southsea and Brading at the Coronation Review of the fleet in 1953. Both ships were chartered by the admiralty to carry dignataries out to the grandstand ships. Both ferries also took part in the procession fleet inspecting the review and this is actually what I'm looking for if anyone has a copy I would love to see it.

Steve

macjack
6th March 2006, 13:48
Steve, I have a photo of "Southsea" at Newhaven in a rather sad state, taken a few years ago, whilst laid up in Newhaven - any help?
I have only just registered so apologies for any hiccups in follow ups.

R58484956
6th March 2006, 15:12
Welcome macjack to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

macjack
8th March 2006, 21:16
Hope this works Steve if not contact me, photo taken at Newhaven - undated, if you are researching the vessel you probably will have some idea of the date - I have a thought she was towed to Portsmouth, for ongoing service that fell through.
Steve, Eureka - found error with attachment, should be ok.

macjack
11th March 2006, 10:15
Has anyone got a picture of either the former Ryde - Portsmouth (IOW ferries)MV Southsea and Brading at the Coronation Review of the fleet in 1953. Both ships were chartered by the admiralty to carry dignataries out to the grandstand ships. Both ferries also took part in the procession fleet inspecting the review and this is actually what I'm looking for if anyone has a copy I would love to see it.

Steve

Steve,
As requested I repost photos of Southsea,one looking forlorn t'other following a lick of paint.
Hope you receive these ok, and that I have proceedure correct.
Please inform me if you are unable view.
Regards,
Mac.

billyboy
13th March 2006, 00:34
Steve,
As requested I repost photos of Southsea,one looking forlorn t'other following a lick of paint.
Hope you receive these ok, and that I have proceedure correct.
Please inform me if you are unable view.
Regards,
Mac.

Nice pictures Mackjack. its possible we know each other, born and bred at newhaven. Good chance you knew of my late father "Jock still" tug mate there for many years. (Thumb)

meechingman
13th March 2006, 08:08
I remember her being repainted, but I'm blowed if I can remember why they did it, knowing she was going nowhere. Unlike them to spend any money when they didn't need to. Any ideas? Maybe it was for a potential buyer, or did the town council get fed up with appearance?
Andy G

Stevo
16th March 2006, 21:00
The ship was re painted purely to keep the local authorities happy. Concerns over having an unattractive rusting ship spoiling the scenery forced Sea Containers to splash out on a lick of paint.

Santos
16th March 2006, 21:11
Stevo,

Nice pics of Brading at the below site. Hope it helps.

http://www.vectiswight.co.uk/mv_brading.htm

Chris

vchiu
3rd May 2006, 07:40
Went to the Breaker's yard in Danemark last year.

Another nice little ship disappearing for ever. :@

sailor_boy37
12th June 2006, 11:18
Did Southsea/Brading, and the Shanklin have bow rudders, or did they just use their twin screw for manouvering? I doubt they had a bow thruster!!
I was speaking to someone who was a summer Mate on them, and he said the pier usually came off worse!!

Stevo
18th June 2006, 12:30
The ships just used their twin screws, no bow rudder. As for the piers coming off worse, well the ships were extremely manouverable. However there was quite a drink culture amongst the crew onboard these ships in the 50s/60s until the major incident involving the MV Shanklin colliding with the pier put a stop to this.

3rd August 2006, 15:21
Yes I can agree with both comments a great pint of Whitbread in buffet at pier head and I can remember being o/d on the sandown coming in to no 2 beth at low water paddle touch bottom I know what it was like being at the sharp end of Capt (winkle newman) (Ouch)

robandbarbara
1st April 2007, 16:06
Brading leaving Portsmouth Harbour. 17.03.1949

JohnnieIOW
17th September 2008, 08:10
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what function a navigational lamp had with no glass or bulb in it,Many boats had them including Gosport ferry boats like Portsmouth Queen and Gay Enterprise.The usual navigational lamp would be on the mast and below that would be a lamp with no glass in it,could something go in this if the mast lamp went wrong?.i know this glassless lamp disapeared when boats had dual navigational lamps fitted replacing the single navigational lamps.