Asteri

Bob S
6th August 2004, 16:16
The Liberian flagged ASTERI passing Tilbury on the River Thames. Does anyone have any information about this vessel?

Fairfield
6th August 2004, 20:18
The Liberian flagged ASTERI passing Tilbury on the River Thames. Does anyone have any information about this vessel?
Looks like a converted T2 tanker.

Bob S
8th August 2004, 14:46
Hi Fairfield,

My thoughts also. There are some good T2 sites on the net that list all the buildings and changes of name but ASTERI doesn't appear anywhere.
Saw a T2 still in service moored in Galveston, Texas back in '02, the MARINE DUVAL built in '44. Just looked in the latest Lloyds and she's no longer listed so I suppose she's gone now. I will post it when I get the time.

Bob S
11th September 2004, 15:22
Starting this thread encouraged me to try and find the history of the ASTERI. She was a tanker conversion into a bulk carrier. Built by the Alabama Dry Dock & Ship Building Company in 1945 as the tanker DOBYTOWN, she became LA MEDE in 1947, CELIMENE in 1948 and FINISTERRE in 1961. In 1963, she was converted into a bulk carrier having a new forward section built by Deutsche Werft AG and was renamed SKOPELOS and then ASTERI in 1965. As such, at 14133 tons gross, she was operated by Astromarine Corporation under the Liberian flag.