British Justice & British Vigilence

helen
6th March 2006, 21:51
Could anyone give me any details on the above 2 ships please. I am just listing the ships my father sailed on but he only lists the names and I cannot find anything out about these two. Only want to know when built and what happened to them in the end. Many thanks. Helen

John_F
6th March 2006, 22:21
Could anyone give me any details on the above 2 ships please. I am just listing the ships my father sailed on but he only lists the names and I cannot find anything out about these two. Only want to know when built and what happened to them in the end. Many thanks. HelenHelen,
Herewith details. These are details of the second vessels to bear these names. If you want details of the first ones then let me know.
British Justice: Built by Cammell, Laird & Co of Birkenhead & completed in 1958. In 1973, she was sold to Tex-Darien Shipping Co. of Panama & renames Salamis. In December 1975 she arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition.
British Vigilance: She was built by Sir James Laing & Sons of Sunderland & completed in May 1957. She spent her entire life with BP before being laid up i January 1972. She went for scrap in February 1973.
There are photos of both vessels in the Tankers Gallery.
All details from the British Tankers - Norman Middlemiss.

helen
6th March 2006, 22:39
Thank you very much for that extremly quick response. This is hard work. I am sorry I came up with this idea now, thought it would be easy. He made a folder of pictures. Got B. Vigilence but not B. Justice. Never heard of the Tanker Gallery but will find it. He has done a list of ships and a list of owners, unfortunately, not put them together. Thanks again for your help and time. Helen

R58484956
7th March 2006, 11:35
Helen as you do not say which year father was on board there was another Britsh Justice 6962 tons built 1928 by Palmers of Newcastle with a 4 cylinder diesel built by Richardsons Westgarth of Harlepool. 440.7 x 57.1 x 33.9. Code flags GCWR. DF.

John_F
7th March 2006, 14:56
[QUOTE=helen] Never heard of the Tanker Gallery but will find it.

Helen,
To get to the Tanker Gallery, click on Gallery (top left of page) then scroll down to Tankers. Click on Tankers. At the top right of the Tanker Gallery there is a small rectangular box. Type in the box British Justice & click on Go. Its a lovely photo of her.
Alternatively, click on the following link:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/503/912SS_British_Justice-med.jpg[/img]

Kind regards,
John.

helen
8th March 2006, 22:37
Helen as you do not say which year father was on board there was another Britsh Justice 6962 tons built 1928 by Palmers of Newcastle with a 4 cylinder diesel built by Richardsons Westgarth of Harlepool. 440.7 x 57.1 x 33.9. Code flags GCWR. DF.

Dear RH 58...

Thanks for your reply and help. He sailed on the following dates: BJ - 12.57 - 7.58 and BV - 8.58 - 10.59 so it would be the later one. Helen

helen
8th March 2006, 22:38
[QUOTE=helen] Never heard of the Tanker Gallery but will find it.

Helen,
To get to the Tanker Gallery, click on Gallery (top left of page) then scroll down to Tankers. Click on Tankers. At the top right of the Tanker Gallery there is a small rectangular box. Type in the box British Justice & click on Go. Its a lovely photo of her.
Alternatively, click on the following link:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/data/503/912SS_British_Justice-med.jpg[/img]

Kind regards,
John.

Dear John,

Thank you for that and all your help. I will have a look. Helen

helen
8th March 2006, 22:45
Dear John,

Thank you for that and all your help. I will have a look. Helen

John, Got the pictures now. Brilliant. Ta. Helen

Joe Rooney
8th March 2006, 22:47
I hate to be a stickler, but Palmers had yards in Jarrow and Hebburn, both on the South bank of the Tyne. Not Newcastle. Both yards closed in the early thirties, although their shiprepair docks survived. And indeed may still be in operation under a different title.

Regards Joe.

cessna
21st November 2006, 17:54
Helen - a bit late to post this, and hope you read it. I was on the British Justice at exactly the same time as your dad-it was her maiden voyage. I was an Apprentice. Wonder who your dad was?
Best wishes
Rod

Roy Fox
15th December 2006, 06:52
Has anyone got a decent quality photo of the first British Justice? I sailed on her as Third Mate in the late 1940's.

Thanks Roy Fox

John_F
15th December 2006, 22:40
Has anyone got a decent quality photo of the first British Justice? I sailed on her as Third Mate in the late 1940's.

Thanks Roy Fox
Roy,
I have a photo of the first British Justice. Unfortunately, I am away from home at the moment but will post it next week. Quality? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - you be the judge. If its no good then please ignore it.
Kind regards,
John F.

Roy Fox
20th January 2009, 07:03
I sailed on the first "Justice" as 3rd Mate around 1949. Anyone still around (or still alive) from that era?

pete richards
22nd January 2009, 22:46
Hi Roy,my father was 3rd mate on the British Justice from Sept 1947 through
to June 21st 1948.He then sailed as 2nd Mate on the British Respect from
Nov 10 1948 through to Feb28 1950 and on the British Commander from
Sept 1st through to Jan 1953(we think by then he had obtained his 1st
Mates ticket but sailed as 2nd Mate).His name was Bertram Ralph Richards,
perhaps you came across him.
Cheers Pete

Roy Fox
28th January 2009, 07:39
Hi Pete
A bit late, I know, but my time on the Justice was from Nov 49 to May 50. The Justice was my first ship as 3rd Mate. I was just on 3 years into my apprenticeship.
Roy