Columbia Star

Fairfield
9th August 2004, 20:59
Photographed at the Greenock container terminal in 1974.She and sister,CALIFORNIA STAR operated to the US on a joint service with the East Asiatic Co and Johnson Line.

flyer682
21st November 2004, 09:42
In 1986 she became the "Mandama" of the Singapore sudsidiary Austasia Line, before becoming the "New Zealand Star" in 1992. Was engaged in the trade from NZ & Australia to the Middle East. The two photos show her at Lyttelton on 1 January 1995.

tanker
21st November 2004, 14:48
CALIFORNIA STAR with her sister COLUMBIA STAR built Bremer Vulkan,
terminated her life as FREMANTLE STAR and NEW ZEALAND STAR at the
end 90s.

dje4816
9th July 2008, 14:59
I was Sparks on the New Zealand Star in 1970. I think she was one of a succession of ships with the same name. I remember she was built in Germany. It was an IMRC ship. Is this the vessel you're discussing here? I've been trying unsuccessfully to obtain a photograph.

She was a freezer ship, and ran mainly lamb from NZ to the UK at the brilliant speed of 25 knots. She was a great ship, and I was almost a year on her - wonderful days.

Dave Ellis.

K urgess
9th July 2008, 15:18
Welcome to the crew Dave
If you look here you can take your pick
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=149991
Cheers
Kris

R58484956
9th July 2008, 18:32
Greetings Dave and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

G4UMW
22nd July 2008, 09:11
Hello Dave, and welcome to SN.

Nice picture - I joined the Columbia Star as 2nd R/O on 2nd September 1974 at Greenock. Had a great trip. Master was Capt. Stubbings, 2/E was Dick (?) Verity and one of the deck cadets was Chris Robilliard. My chief was a grand Scotsman from Maybole in Ayrshire. His Christian name was Davy but I regret I cannot remember his surname, nor the names of any of the other guys on board.

Happy days!

Rob

Bob Nowak
11th August 2008, 05:45
I started my career in the MN onboard Columbia Star, joined her on the maiden voyage from Bremerhaven as Pantry Boy,..

What a great ship and crew, I was medivaced a year later in LA and flown home with an Ulcer,.... after 3 months on the sick Joined the California Star as Pantry Boy, another great ship and Crew.

Peter Eccleson
5th January 2009, 15:55
Sailed on Columbia Star in 1972 as R/O with IMRC - great ship. First time up the West Coast and through the Panama Canal.

R58484956
5th January 2009, 16:25
G4UMW go to http://www.bluestarline.org and crew lists appear for Columbia Star

peter douras
31st January 2010, 00:22
incomplete crew lists i might add...they only show officers and 'petty' officers!

Billieboy
31st January 2010, 09:36
I used to repair refrigerator cooling water valves from Colombia and California. The builders had miscalculated the flow velocity and the valve blades cavitated. The was also an electrical conductivity problem in the system, took me a week to find the solution.

Del Francis
27th April 2010, 14:08
I was Sparks on the New Zealand Star in 1970. I think she was one of a succession of ships with the same name. I remember she was built in Germany. It was an IMRC ship. Is this the vessel you're discussing here? I've been trying unsuccessfully to obtain a photograph.

She was a freezer ship, and ran mainly lamb from NZ to the UK at the brilliant speed of 25 knots. She was a great ship, and I was almost a year on her - wonderful days.

Dave Ellis.
The 'Kiwi Star' I think your on about was the sister ship to the 'Southland Star'. She had Staulken Derricks ( don't no if thats the right spelling ), and cranes. I was on her end of 1972, paid off in Napier with a busted shoulder.
The 'Southland Star' was converted to a container ship in '78 and I took her out to the west coast of USA to replace the 'Fremantle Star' I think. Those two ships were georgeous until they flattened them, progress I suppose. I was on deck and loved every minute of it.