Markhor

Fairfield
9th August 2004, 21:05
Built by Alexander Stephen at Linthouse in 1963.Sister ship was MAHOUT and were both motor ships,the first for many years.
This was taken in Glasgow in 1972.

BAROONA
17th July 2013, 10:55
I was second mate in the MARKHOR in 1974 on I think the last trip she made to India. A Port Liner and first trip as 2/0, with a second mates ticket too. D A M O'Bryne was master, Taff Roberts, the one with the bent arm was mate and George or was it Fred? Thompson was Purser. I think he has died, he was from Bromborough, ex army and had a lot to say of the mincing ways of Port Line! Does anyone know of D. A. M O'Bryne or Taff Roberts?

best wishes

David Balderston

Don A.Macleod
17th July 2013, 12:48
I was second mate in the MARKHOR in 1974 on I think the last trip she made to India. A Port Liner and first trip as 2/0, with a second mates ticket too. D A M O'Bryne was master, Taff Roberts, the one with the bent arm was mate and George or was it Fred? Thompson was Purser. I think he has died, he was from Bromborough, ex army and had a lot to say of the mincing ways of Port Line! Does anyone know of D. A. M O'Bryne or Taff Roberts?

best wishes

David Balderston

That was Fred Thompson and he was ex RAMC. Sailed deep sea with him on the scrap voyage of the old Manipur and then on Maihar several years later,sorry to learn he is no longer with us. Knew of O'byrne and Roberts but never met them. Never set eyes on the Markhor during my years with Brocks since she left Stephens shipyard though I did sail on Mahout a couple of times.

BAROONA
18th July 2013, 11:58
Thanks Don, appreciated. As for MAHOUT, well I was Officer in Charge down at King Harry Ferry when she was sold to the Greeks. I have the clock out of the Mate's cabin as proof!

S Fraser
18th July 2013, 16:25
That was Fred Thompson and he was ex RAMC. Sailed deep sea with him on the scrap voyage of the old Manipur and then on Maihar several years later,sorry to learn he is no longer with us. Knew of O'byrne and Roberts but never met them. Never set eyes on the Markhor during my years with Brocks since she left Stephens shipyard though I did sail on Mahout a couple of times.

I sailed with Fred on the Mahanada in 1961. I remember him as a very lively person, and a good feeder. Which was some compensation as the Mahanada was not the happiest of ships that trip with Charlie Grey as Master. I also did a coastal with O'byrne on the Maskeylia when he was C/O. He always seemed to be very stressed, miserable and not very good company. Perhaps he mellowed as Master!

Derek Roger
18th July 2013, 19:40
I only sailed once on the Markhor and that was as third Engineer in 1969 . Joined in Calcutta 30th Jan 1969 and paid off in Dakar August of the same year .
We had an unfortunate incident in Calcutta ; the Old man George Symonds from Dundee on returning to the ship one evening had a row with his taxi driver about the fare and ended up slamming the car door on the drivers arm ; which broke .

Derek

dannic
22nd July 2013, 22:14
DAM O'Byrne, on Matangi (ex - Port St Lawrence) anchored up Shat al Arab, 1979, Saturday afternoon board of trade sports, removed his black uniform trousers and threw them off the port bridge wing, announcing "man overboard - galley crew to take away starboard lifeboat".
Needless to say he spent the remainder of the trip back to S.America wearing grey shorts (with blues jacket).

Good Times
Dan

sidsal
23rd July 2013, 11:39
Capt O,Byrne was on HMS Conway in my term in 1942, I never saw him afterwards despite my serving my time with Brocks ( I left as 3rd mate to go in tankers - daft thibng to do !!).
I believe Derek O'Byrne died a comparatively young man.

BlueScouse
23rd July 2013, 11:52
I sailed with D.A.M. O'Byrne when I was first trip cadet on the Maihar in 1976. I then heard of him in about 1984.A friend of mine had sailed with him on a bulker owned by Ocean Tramping of HK. on a one year contract. I assumed he was made redundant from Cunard/Brocks.

dannic
23rd July 2013, 23:31
I liked DAM as a Character, but I was fiver, not navigating, so maybe different.
On the other hand Chief was Bob Nicholson, not so nice a chap! No doubt DAM would have been made redundant on minimum rates in '81 or thereabouts, same as many of us.

Not such good times!
Dan

M's Daughter
8th June 2014, 08:48
Hello!!

I wonder if anyone can help me here please.
I have 2 letters sent to my late mother ( who was in the RAF at the time ) from around 1944 from a gentleman called John Arthur, 3rd engineer who I "think" may have served on S.S. Markhor given the name is written on the front of the envelope. Mum's reply mail would have to be sent via T & J Brocklebank. Sorry, that's all I have but I've been trying to track down the letter writers.
Thanks in advance