Link One

Argyll
9th March 2006, 19:36
Any Denholm men out there sail on the "Link One" I did not but I beleive she was a great little ship which if you got on it you never left it. I don't have any info on her (Thumb)

ARRANMAN35
9th March 2006, 20:08
Hi Argyll,
I, like yourself did not sail on her, believe she carried newsprint from
Sweden to the Thames.

The C/E on the Ormsary, the late Tom Law, was on her in the late
fifties, he spoke highly of her, the ER was a "good job".

Her regular schedule made all the difference.

Regards
Archie.

alanfish
3rd September 2007, 23:42
hi lads,i sailed on the link one 1962 as a/s, 2nd stward was a lad name of brown came from sheerness the same as me. we sailed from chatham to sweden.she sink in the baltic about 1965 -66 ,shame was a nice happy ship alanfish

muldonaich
4th September 2007, 23:06
i think captain sharp was 3rd mate on her when she went down think it was in collision with a russian ship memory is fading with old age sadly kev.

John Cassels
5th September 2007, 08:05
What do you mean "old age" , Kevin. You looked like a kid of 20 when I
last saw you and that's only about 15 years ago !.

James MacDonald
5th September 2007, 09:57
Hi Kev, I sailed with captain Sharp on the Naess Talisman when i was 3/O in 74

muldonaich
5th September 2007, 11:32
i sailed with him 3rd --2nd --mate and a few years as old man good old man to sail with had plenty of laughs with him on yankee coast kev.

muldonaich
5th September 2007, 11:35
hi john you last saw me april 84 i still look twenty sadly the brain carried on growing old now wake up during the night to see if ive lost any sleep regards kev.

ruud
5th September 2007, 12:32
Ahoy,
Is this the LINK ONE,here mentioned,built as POLYMOON 1953?

John Cassels
5th September 2007, 18:55
hi john you last saw me april 84 i still look twenty sadly the brain carried on growing old now wake up during the night to see if ive lost any sleep regards kev.

See more of BJ . he'll keep you awake !!!!!.

J.L.M
1st December 2008, 20:33
Ahoy,
Is this the LINK ONE,here mentioned,built as POLYMOON 1953?

It is Link One I sailed as 2nd Mate from Rochester to Sweden for wood pulp,the captain was John Legg this was in 1962,soon after it was in collision with a Russian ship in the Baltic.
JLM

Argyll
9th December 2008, 21:03
JLM,
Don't think that is the same ship . I know Archie Dowling Lecky I sailed with in 61/62 was on her his son Graham is on this site maybe he can post a pic.
Argyll

randcmackenzie
9th December 2008, 21:28
I'm sure it is Argyll, I remember the ship and the Old Man's name - John Legg.

One of the tales was that she went down fairly slowly, so they all had time to abandon in the lifeboats, with most of their gear.

Legend has it the Chief Steward took the bond accounts with him to see everyone paid for their fags and beer.

Best Regards.

J.L.M
10th December 2008, 20:28
I am certain it is Link One, probally taken in the Medway unloading wood pulp I sailed as 3rd & 2nd mate,for three round trips,in1962,The Master was John Legg.
All the best,
J.L.M.