Minerva 2

Paul UK
10th March 2006, 16:41
Anyone know if Swan Hellenic will be getting a different ship as Princess are taking her over from 2007 as the Royal Princess

Ex R8 of 30,000 tons

Paul

newda898
10th March 2006, 19:38
Interesting to hear. They already have other Rennaissance ships in the form of Tahitian Princess and I'm sure there's another (Anyone think of the name before I do?)

fred henderson
10th March 2006, 21:22
Where did you get this information Paul? I have found a report on the Maritime Matters site, but I have found that they are not always accurate. Last November they reported that Cunard were not taking Queen Victoria and that she was going to Holland America. Pure fantasy.
Both Swan Hellenic and Princess belong to Carnival. The Carnival corporate web site usually provides details of fleet changes, but there is no report. There is nothing in the press releases on the Swan Hellenic site. Princess do not have a press release page on their website.
Another odd thing about this report is that there has been talk of Princess getting rid of at least one of their two ex-Renaissance ships (Pacific Princess and Tahitian Princess) as they are too small to be economical.
I would be very interested to have more information on this one.

Fred (Thumb)

Paul UK
11th March 2006, 10:16
Hi Fred same place as you Maritime Matters, I too have heard that Princess where thinking of the disposal of Tahitian Princess hence my Question.

Paul

fred henderson
16th March 2006, 17:13
Swan Hellenic have at last published a statement. The following extract sets out the situation: -

Recently and following discussions with Swan Hellenicís parent company Carnival Corporation and plc, a decision has been taken to re-deploy Minerva II into one of the Companyís sister brands - Princess Cruises. This is not however, scheduled to take place until April 2007.

Regrettably this means that Minerva II will cease to operate as a Swan Hellenic vessel in April 2007, after the Winter 2006-7 programme has been completed. This decision is a purely commercial one. No replacement vessel has been identified at this stage, and the Company is pursuing various alternatives for the continued operation of the brand.

There seems to be a lack of co-ordination in the Carnival empire.

Fred

Paul UK
16th March 2006, 17:49
Thanks Fred

We will wait and see

Paul

fred henderson
9th April 2006, 20:02
There are rumours in the trade press that Carnival is about to sell Holland America Line's PRINSENDAM (ex Royal Viking Sun, 1988) to Saga Shipping, together with the Swan Hellenic customer base.

Fred (Read)