Duquesa = 1949 -1969

paul rennison
7th March 2006, 21:18
Hi Tonga, you seem to be the oracle for all things Houlder, what can you tell me about the Duquesa,and her late history? I sailed in her for two trips in 1966 down to BA, dock sud & la plata, what a great place for a run ashore was BA, Corrientes ,Calle 25 de Mayo, Texas bar etc, we used to go to a great restaurant called La Estancia, where they would bring what seemed like half a cow on a trolley, cut off the piece you wanted & spear it on a sword & stick it in the charcoal pit for you. What about the flagons of vino tinto, so rough you had to knock it down with quantities of soda water to render it drinkable. I joined her in my home port of Hull & smuggled my then girlfriend aboard one night & ended up proposing to her!! we got married 2 years later this year is our 38th anniversary !!. I was an assistant steward, the chief steward was Jack Dempster, whose brother Jim was a chief steward for UBC, I remember some of the crew Don Brown, cook,colin Golden, Terry Fox , ?? Dudding A/Bs We brought back some polo ponies for the Vestys in specially made stables on the boatdeck, god were they seasick, we had a special lunch aboard in KG5 & one of the Lord Vestys who was Lord Mayor of London at the time came I was serving them in the saloon & managed to spill gravy down the back of his Jacket!! Happy Days!

non descript
7th March 2006, 21:55
Paul,

To be honest, all I know is how little I know, but thank you for your kind comments.

The Duquesa, having been built 1949 passed out of the Houlders fleet two years after you left her, being sold to Royal Mail Lines in 1968 and a lovely ship passed into the hands of “another company”. Your memories are well preserved and better than mine, but you reminded me of that truly excellent restaurant La Estancia, which always had a couple of huge carcasses roasting on the left and right, as you came in through the glass doors. It was the sort of City that you only thought of eating when it got to midnight. Your description of the Vinto Tinto was spot-on.

Houlders’ office was in Calle 25 de Mayo, which always lead to a certain amount of interest, viewing what else was located in that street. The only others places that you may care to remember are “Hospitale Brittanico” and “The Blue Elephant”, both holding attraction in terms of the staff.

I congratulate you on 38 years of marriage – against that record, I’m just a youngster with 30 years.
Tonga

paul rennison
10th March 2006, 21:20
Tonga, Thanks for the reply mate, yes she was a lovely ship, when I joined herat Hull she was just discharging a million cases of apples from Tasmania the largest single shipment at that time. I only did two trips in her due to an unfortunate encounter with the "marineros" and the flat of their sabres the result was the removal of my B/A passport. I still had the bruises in my kidney area when I paid off 8 weeks later!! we would lay up at Falmouth between trips, I worked by and we had some great times down there,
I remember my introduction to Scrumpy & the headache to this day!
lets talk again Tonga.
Rennop (Thumb)

non descript
28th March 2006, 12:57
Paul,

Yes, you have a good memory and have reminded me of the term “BA Passport”, a very useful document.

As for Falmouth, having enjoyed a lay-up there during the summer of 1966 (on Royston Grange) it was 35 years later that I made use of those friendly connections in the port, who so many years on kindly helped us win an arbitration against an owner who had claimed his ship was somewhere when it wasn’t.

Kind regards
Tonga

non descript
19th July 2006, 11:01
Thanks to Dave Edge and his posting in the gallery, we now have an excellent photo of her at the buoys in the Tyne:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/30025/sort/1/size/medium/cat/510/page/

leo hannan
20th July 2006, 16:17
Hi Tonga/Paul Rennison.
Thats a superb shot of Duquesa thanks for the link. I came home DBS in her Nov. 67 after paying off sick in BA from Royston Grange, spent 3 weeks in "Hospital Britanico" then 2 weeks in the Catholic Seamans Mission. I used to go to Houlders office in 25 de Mayo every day for my subsistance money (7s 6d ) per day. No flying home in those days, you had to wait for a British Ship going your way. Jack Dempster was the Ch.Stwd. and Black Bart was the mate. Oh happy days.
Regards
Leo (*))

Joe Rooney
20th July 2006, 17:12
I remeber standing in Dockwray Street, North Shields watching Duquesa coming down
the river, going out on trials from Hawthornes.
She was a beutiful ship, all fresh paint and shiny brass.

But just as she passed the Shields ferry dock, she let a huge greasy black cloud out of her funnel which drifted down in front of her. I could barely see her as she passed the fish quay.

I was home from Vindi, standing by my first ship. British Endeavour, also from Hawthorne Leslies.

Joe

paul rennison
25th July 2006, 18:09
Hi Tonga/Paul Rennison.
Thats a superb shot of Duquesa thanks for the link. I came home DBS in her Nov. 67 after paying off sick in BA from Royston Grange, spent 3 weeks in "Hospital Britanico" then 2 weeks in the Catholic Seamans Mission. I used to go to Houlders office in 25 de Mayo every day for my subsistance money (7s 6d ) per day. No flying home in those days, you had to wait for a British Ship going your way. Jack Dempster was the Ch.Stwd. and Black Bart was the mate. Oh happy days.
Regards
Leo (*))
Hi Leo, I had just left Duquesa then( I think, better check my Dis A book), I sailed with Jack Dempster & he became a good friend and used to visit me when I ran a social club for a while after he retired, his brother Jim was Ch stwd on the Baltic Boats out of Hull to Finland & Poland and I went to school with his 2 lads Jim & Dave, I remember Black Bart too. Some of us used to go to the dances at the Stella Maris in BA The hostesses there were cracking girls. as you say Leo, Happy days!! regards
Paul (rennop) (Thumb)

leo hannan
27th July 2006, 17:14
Hi Paul/Tonga
I met Jack again when I relieved him on the Furness Bridge. If he is still about and you meet him give him my regards. Black Bart and I sailed in the North Sea on the Oregis(diving barge) I still have my BA Passport, I had hair then and I remember the dances at the Stella Maris and the Flying Tabnab, in fact quite a lot of Houlder crew married girls from the Flying Angel. One I remember married a nurse,his name was Michael Holland-Lloyd. I dont know if Tonga remembers him and another was a steward called Malcom Gardner. All in all BA was quite a place especially when we had Royal Mail,Blue Star and the rest in at the same time.
Regards
Leo (*))

non descript
27th July 2006, 17:43
Leo,
If my memory serves me well, Michael Holland-Lloyd (or maybe his brother) followed a well trodden route and left Houlders to work on the cross-channel hovercraft. I never met him but he had a very decent reputation - As a point of interest, almost as many Houlders men did this, as married nurses from B.A. (*))
Kind regards
Mark

duquesa
9th September 2006, 10:23
Hi all, you will see from my site name that I have some connection with this ship. She was without doubt one of the finest and happiest vessels I ever set foot on. I was an apprentice there and was gloriously happy. We were hard worked and had our own very exacting duties to perform each and every trip. As a result, both gangways were probably the most highly varnished and polished in the MN. The Master at that time was, I believe the Senior Houlder Master, Capt. Eric Lockheed. He was, as were many of them, a fine seaman, a gentleman and an all round good bloke but, a diabolical stickler for discipline
and sound shipboard etiquet. I was gutted to receive a summons, whilst on leave, to return and collect my kit. This was only tempered by the fact that they were pushed me up to uncertificated third mate on the Joya McCance. The memories linger though and I often think back to my time on Duquesa and the fine bunch of guys who were her "regular" crew.

john shaw
9th September 2006, 17:16
here's a further,different pic of Duquesa-- origin unknown, on a CD of loads of ship pics I acquired

non descript
9th September 2006, 18:55
A good one John, may we ask you to also post it also in the Gallery if/when you have time.

john shaw
10th September 2006, 12:00
Mark

I would be happy to, except-- it came with loads of other images on a CD I acquired-- therefore I cannot provide the provenance of copyright etc,or truly state it's "mine" ie I own the CD with the pic on it, but didn't take the pic.

There are loads of pics on here which are obviously VERY old and probably not provenanced-- also, I'm sure that despite many members being still very active few really pilot helicopters regularly to shoot the uncredited aerial views we see so often!

I suppose that if I post the pic, if it is not for gain etc, there are no issues? Advice would be appreciated please.

Regards

non descript
10th September 2006, 19:58
John,

I take your point - although with a degree of caution and discussion we can get there; I will let you know my thoughts and an acceptable way forward.

Regards
Mark

non descript
17th April 2007, 21:02
Paul, I made a minor edit to the title of this thread to distinguish this Duquesa (1949-1969) from the first one (1918-41)

Mike Holland-Lloyd
1st July 2007, 16:01
Hi All,
I sailed in the Duquesa from June 1964 to April 1965, one of always four cadets, the others being Hugh Campbell, Dave Stokoe, G.Thompson, Dave Burton & Mick May. The photo of the Duquesa shown by John Shaw is a copy of the postcard photo of the ship which was sold on board.
I did marry a nurse from the British Hospital in BA in October 1969 when I was on the Queensbury. I do not have a brother and I did not leave Houlders to go on the ferries, I stayed until 1985 when I was made redundant but only after a year with CY Tung where I was promoted to Master.
The club "Blue Elephant" Tonga refers to is in fact the "Elephanto Blanco" (White Elephant) which I agree was a popular venue to take nurses from the British Hospital.
I have many memories of Houlders from 1962 to 1986 ..... the good old days.

Best Regards to All,

MHL

non descript
1st July 2007, 16:07
MHL,

My apologies.

Kind regards
Mark

KevinC
21st May 2008, 18:47
Hi All,
I sailed in the Duquesa from June 1964 to April 1965, one of always four cadets, the others being Hugh Campbell, Dave Stokoe, G.Thompson, Dave Burton & Mick May. The photo of the Duquesa shown by John Shaw is a copy of the postcard photo of the ship which was sold on board.
I did marry a nurse from the British Hospital in BA in October 1969 when I was on the Queensbury. I do not have a brother and I did not leave Houlders to go on the ferries, I stayed until 1985 when I was made redundant but only after a year with CY Tung where I was promoted to Master.
The club "Blue Elephant" Tonga refers to is in fact the "Elephanto Blanco" (White Elephant) which I agree was a popular venue to take nurses from the British Hospital.
I have many memories of Houlders from 1962 to 1986 ..... the good old days.

Best Regards to All,
MHL

Hello Mike,
just surfing thru' the Houlder file and saw your letter. I remember you well from your time on the Queensbury, I was on Westbury I think but we always seemed to be in Liverpool or BA at the same time. Sorry to see there isn't much under the Queensbury re people who sailed in her like Henry Gittins and Colin Wedlake. I still go to BA annually for a month or so. I suppose I am addicted.Hope you are all keeping well. Best regards.

KevinC (CAMPBELL)

DURANGO
10th July 2008, 14:31
Hi Tonga/Paul Rennison.
Regards
Leo (*))
Hello Leo we have spoken before, when you paid off sick in B.A. Royston Grange was that the voyage i was in her 5th sept 1967 we paid off in falmouth on 19th november i was on deck in her .

done it
6th November 2008, 18:26
hi all just to add my bit . i sailed on duquesa 1961 to b a from the royal docks steak and and chips on shore at la plata the cattle coming in one end of the factory coming out the other end into the hold great days also sailed on oremina out of port talbot 1960 ex wifes dad was the lock keeper . somebody might also remember the essex a norwegian. sailed on her for awhile. the biggest one to come through the locks at the time now living in spain 8 years at sea 41 years trucking all over europe and iam still traveling . good luck to you lads have a long life

David Menzies
29th December 2008, 15:58
Hello. I was on the Duquessa in 1959 as an apprebntice. Captain W Smailes was the master. I did 3 happy trips then moved to the Newbury. Interested to hear from any other persons of that era.
Cheers. Dave

David Menzies
29th December 2008, 16:00
Hello was on the Duquessa as an apprentice. My first ship. The master was Captain Smailes. I did 3 happy voyages before changing to the Newbury. Cheers. Dave Menzies

Abbeywood.
2nd February 2010, 14:18
Duquesa.

Obviously many ex-crew members were impressed with the ship. I'm sorry to say I was'nt one of them.
Only did six days relieving in the Royal Docks and was glad to get off and get back to motor ship.