History Of Bloomfield Victory

DAVIDJM
15th March 2006, 20:58
I have been asked if i clould find anything about this ship. I know she is a victory ship from the last war but othe then that i have been struggling to find anything about her.

I hope you can help me.
many thanks
david

Hugh MacLean
15th March 2006, 22:57
Hello David,

Are you sure that is the correct spelling.
I can find a Bluefield Victory and a Bloomington Victory but as yet no Bloomfield Victory.

Rgds

DAVIDJM
27th March 2006, 18:02
Thanks Hugh
I was wondering why I couldnít find anything at the time. Iím sorry for the late reply been away from the computer for too long. The lady of the house keeps me working at the kitchen sink.

Can you please give me any info on the Bluefield Victory and Bloomington Victory so I can give Ron the correct info.

Many thanks for your help

David

gdynia
27th March 2006, 18:53
I have been asked if i clould find anything about this ship. I know she is a victory ship from the last war but othe then that i have been struggling to find anything about her.

I hope you can help me.
many thanks
david

David

Please find

Bluefield Victory 02 02 6.44
1951 ALASKA BEAR, Pacific Far East Line, San Francisco.
1969 COLUMBIA WOLF for voyage to shipbreakers.
1970 Scrapped Hong Kong

Bloomington Victory was also a Victory Ship I watched her being cut up in Panama City, Florida around 1972/3 as she was loaded onboard us in bits where we took her as a cargo of scrap to Kaoshuing in Taiwan.

Bloomfield was a American Shipping company which was swallowed up by States Marine in the USA.

States Marine took over management of Bloomfield Steamship Co., 906 Cotton Exchange Bldgs., Houston, TX, eventually gaining control of this company, retaining the name until all vessels disposed/scrapped by mid 1969. Bloomfield was originally founded after WW II by Ben M. Bloomfield, a former executive with Lykes Brothers Steamship Co., based in Houston, TX, acquiring surplus vessels to serve the Gulf region. Lykes blocked Bloomfield's subsidy application, resulting in Bloomfield selling its 3 surplus C2's and 80% of the stock to Farrell Lines, the owner of the remaining 20% of the stock. In 1951 Bloomfield, with local Texas backing, reestablished his company with 5 VC2s and 3 EC2s, servicing Europe and the Mediterranean from the Gulf. While Lykes couldn't block Bloomfield during the Korean War, with the U.S. Government's demand for shipping, following this war pressure was brought to bear, causing the passage of management to States Marine.
States Marine filed first application for vessel subsidies from the U.S. Government.
Old Dominion State (1), EC2, sold to United Steamship Corp. of Panama; renamed Henry Ulman and flagged in Panama.
Wolverine State (1), EC2, sold to Omnium Steamship Co. of New York; renamed Omnium Trader and flagged in Liberia.

DAVIDJM
31st March 2006, 12:35
Many thanks Gdynia

That will give me a start to find more info from my books.

Hugh MacLean
2nd April 2006, 21:13
There is a photo of Bloomington Victory for sale currently on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rn328-US-Cargo-Ship-Bloomington-Victory_W0QQitemZ6268569783QQcategoryZ69746QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem
Rgds