Smiths of Cardiff

Peter Eccleson
15th March 2006, 21:57
Hi all! Anyone know whatever happened to Smiths of Cardiff? (Sir Willy Reardon Smiths). Did they go out of business? Thanks in advance.... sure there's a few ex City sailors out there.

Bruce Carson
15th March 2006, 22:16
Hello Peter:
There's a website with short histories of Cardiff area shipowners.
It has a short piece on Smiths.

http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/SHIPCO.html

Bruce C.

Hugh MacLean
15th March 2006, 22:21
Hello Peter,

I am not a City sailor but here is some info on Smiths of Cardiff.

Captain William Reardon Smith established the business of the Reardon Smith Line Ltd. as W.R. Smith and Son Ltd., at 124 Bute Street, Cardiff, and the Instow Steamship Co. Ltd. in 1905 at Cardiff Docks.

The Company had many subsidiary and associated companies. The fleet of ships had grown to 39 ships by 1922. The name changed to Reardon Smith Line Ltd. in 1928.

The Company continued to expand the fleet up to 1977. It also diversified into the chartering business and oil extraction. In 1985 the group ceased trading and went into liquidation.

Rgds

Peter Eccleson
15th March 2006, 22:27
Thanks Hugh & Bruce. Can't actually believe they went broke. They were apparently hugely successful in the 70's. There was some link-up with the Irish Shipping Co which ended in financial disaster I think. Interesting story. Thanks again.

peter lewis
16th March 2006, 00:06
peter try this web site GENUKI GLAMORGAN it as some very interesting informaition on it (Hippy)

gdynia
16th March 2006, 05:17
Thanks Hugh & Bruce. Can't actually believe they went broke. They were apparently hugely successful in the 70's. There was some link-up with the Irish Shipping Co which ended in financial disaster I think. Interesting story. Thanks again.

Peter

They formed into a company called Celtic Bulk Carriers but did not last long

cymruman
16th March 2006, 06:46
They linked with Ben Line to operate oilrigs, financial disaster, went bust. Excellent company ( served my time with them ) , Link with Irish shipping seemed succesful enough, formed it i believe to carry out contract to ship phosphate from Tampa to india ( Visakhapatnam) then to British Columbia ( light ) for timber for uk/continent.
A few ships in my gallery.

Peter Eccleson
17th March 2006, 17:46
Thanks everyone for the info!! Appreciated.

A.J.McMahon
23rd April 2008, 17:28
[QUOTE=cymruman;45653]They linked with Ben Line to operate oilrigs, financial disaster, went bust. Excellent company ( served my time with them ) , Link with Irish shipping seemed succesful enough, formed it i believe to carry out contract to ship phosphate from Tampa to india ( Visakhapatnam) then to British Columbia ( light ) for timber for uk/continent.
A few ships in my gallery Hi,Iwounder if you could point me in the right direction, Iam trying to find some infomation,pssible photo of a Smiths ship called Santa Clara Valley.My uncle was the Skipper on her when she went down off Naples I think about 1941,Don Lenny was his name,his only son was a cadet also with Smiths. He was fatality injured on another of Smiths ships

timbuctou
17th January 2009, 16:19
What happened to the crew of the Reardon Smith ship Fresno City when she was sunk on 12 April 1943?
Was the torpedo from aJapanese sub?
Where was she headed for?

Brent Chambers
19th January 2009, 07:37
Hi Timbuctou--can only answer one of your questions--she was sunk by U168, 12.4.1943.
Cheers, Brent

Binnacle
19th January 2009, 11:06
Timbuctu

12 April 1943
Fresno City - 7261 T. Bombay, Cristobal, & New York for Liverpool. Cargo 3000 t. Manganese Ore, 5965 t. General & Mail. Sunk by sub. Crew 48 all saved. Pos'n approx 54 15N. 30 W. Abandoned but at 10 a.m. was reboarded by master and chief engineer. Abandoned again as salvage appeared impossible. At 1045 a.m. was hit by two more torpedoes and sank at 1050 a.m.
Source - Lloyd's War Losses WW2

jrg
21st October 2009, 04:00
They linked with Ben Line to operate oilrigs, financial disaster, went bust. Excellent company ( served my time with them ) , Link with Irish shipping seemed succesful enough, formed it i believe to carry out contract to ship phosphate from Tampa to india ( Visakhapatnam) then to British Columbia ( light ) for timber for uk/continent.
A few ships in my gallery.

I worked in the Timor Sea on a rig that had Saunders valves all over the place-Stena Clyde-one of RSLs joint ventures.

JRG

scorcher
21st October 2009, 09:26
Hi,Iwounder if you could point me in the right direction, Iam trying to find some infomation,pssible photo of a Smiths ship called Santa Clara Valley.My uncle was the Skipper on her when she went down off Naples I think about 1941,Don Lenny was his name,his only son was a cadet also with Smiths. He was fatality injured on another of Smiths ships

Hi Here is a photo of EAST LYNN (renamed SANTA CLARA VALLEY in 1931.
Unknown photographer..taken from Reardon Smith Line by P.M. Heaton.
pub by Starling Press 1984.
Best Wishes scorcher.

A.J.McMahon
21st October 2009, 17:00
Many Thanks Scorcher, I appreciate your input, I was not aware that she was originally East Lynn Best Regards AJM.

Jacktar1
21st October 2009, 17:26
I am still searching and hoping to locate anyone who sailed with Reardon Smith Line between March 1948 and end of 1953. Apart from Captain John Cann & Anthony Johansen I have had no success ! I sailed on board the Leeds City, Orient City, Leeds City, Atlantic City & Devon City. Two persons who I would really like to contact: Bob Nosworthy (London) and Denny Baker (Cardiff).

Cheers.....Glan