British Gunner 1954

dom
17th March 2006, 06:47
can anyone tell me was this the first co.ship to be fitted with a permerment swimming pool.i remember the mate saying so when i joined her in glasgow,iremember the old cnvas ones on the boat deck

John_F
17th March 2006, 23:37
Dom,
You could well be right. Harvey & Solly (BP Tankers:A Group Fleet History) imply that the British Vision was the first with a permanent pool. However, The Gunner was completed 2 months before the Vision in 1954. The Gunner & her sister, the Corporal, both built by H&W, at 14,500 dwt appear to be "oddments" in the fleet, falling midway between the established 12 & 16,000 dwt classes.
Regards,
John F

dom
18th March 2006, 06:22
Dom,
You could well be right. Harvey & Solly (BP Tankers:A Group Fleet History) imply that the British Vision was the first with a permanent pool. However, The Gunner was completed 2 months before the Vision in 1954. The Gunner & her sister, the Corporal, both built by H&W, at 14,500 dwt appear to be "oddments" in the fleet, falling midway between the established 12 & 16,000 dwt classes.
Regards,
John F
thank you john

barnsey
27th May 2007, 10:25
Oi John ... a duel, you can have the swords and I'll have the pistols ... HOW DARE you insult the wonderfull trio, they were not "ODDMENTS" and even forgeting about my darling of the threesome .. "The Sergeant"....my first BP Tanker is akin to fisticuffs .......

Well it depends on which of the three were delivered launched or keel laid first doesnt it ??? The Corporal was launched first but deliverer 2nd. The Gunner was launched 2nd but delivered first .... Sergeant was the baby ...Certainly the 14's were the first ships with permanent swimming pools. The only other two who MIGHT have laid claim would be the Vigilance and Renown .... they had streamlined funnels .. well sort of and were the last of the "Old" regime before our beloved "Birdies" came on line...but the Vigilance did not have a pool ...

Barnsey

gingerbeer73
27th May 2007, 13:35
[QUOTE=barnsey;129652]Oi John ... a duel, you can have the swords and I'll have the pistols ... HOW DARE you insult the wonderfull trio, they were not "ODDMENTS" and even forgeting about my darling of the threesome .. "The Sergeant"....my first BP Tanker is akin to fisticuffs .......

Hi Barnsey,
Up to your old tricks I see - threating violence again !!

Cheers
Colin Thurlow
PS Seems to be one or two OWs on this site

John_F
27th May 2007, 17:54
Oi John ... a duel, you can have the swords and I'll have the pistols ... HOW DARE you insult the wonderfull trio, they were not "ODDMENTS" and even forgeting about my darling of the threesome .. "The Sergeant"....my first BP Tanker is akin to fisticuffs .......

Well it depends on which of the three were delivered launched or keel laid first doesnt it ??? The Corporal was launched first but deliverer 2nd. The Gunner was launched 2nd but delivered first .... Sergeant was the baby ...Certainly the 14's were the first ships with permanent swimming pools. The only other two who MIGHT have laid claim would be the Vigilance and Renown .... they had streamlined funnels .. well sort of and were the last of the "Old" regime before our beloved "Birdies" came on line...but the Vigilance did not have a pool ...

Barnsey
Sincere apologies Barnsie! Maybe I should have used the the phrase "unique" as opposed to oddments! One's first ship is always special - when I get home I'll check if I've got a photo of the Gunner & will post it in this thread if I have.
I did 8 months on the old Renown - in terms of styling, along with her sister Vigilance - also an oddity, sorry - unique. I honestly can't remember if the Renown had a pool or not. She was my first ship as a certificated 3/0 &, after a bird, would have been my first choice as the 16s generally had good runs. She was no exception & I spent my time on her cruising the Aussie & NZ coasts with one run up to Suva. Unfortunately, she was a very unhappy ship, Captain J.Bridgewood being the cause.
Kind regards,
John.

James_C
27th May 2007, 18:27
Gents,
Attached is a photo of the Gunner.

M.T. British Gunner
10076 grt, 14571 dwt
22.12.1953 Launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Govan.
06.05.1954 Completed and handed over to the British Tanker Company Ltd.
31.01.1961 Transferred to BP Clyde Tanker Company Ltd, renamed 'Clyde Gunner'.
17.01.1964 Transferred to BP Tanker Co Ltd, renamed 'British Gunner'.
17.05.1972 Arrived Vinaroz for scrapping by Desguaces Maritimos SA.

barnsey
28th May 2007, 10:00
Go play bleedin Doxfords CT ...... can't I hide anywhere from you!!! Sold your beautifull barge yet ???

Barnsey OW

barnsey
28th May 2007, 10:06
Thanks James ... sorry about the interruption from a certain engineer type bloke ... he's the bain of my life ... all you have to do is speak "Doxford or Sulzer" at him and he goes into a trance, sort of neutralises him.

The Gunner photo is lovely and much appreciated ... its in the collection.

He's what I call a 60's BRAT .... them being the Worcester cadets who destroyed everything during the 1960's, boats, masts, discipline and even got rid of the ship.

Still he's quite harmless .... his wife keeps him under her thumb ...she is very talented ... lovely painter of cards and stuff .... dunno what talents he has ... we jave tried to find some but ....??? mind he is an engineer of some repute ...

Barnsey

barnsey
29th May 2007, 10:42
John,

They must have been a right pair .... you say I did 8 months on the old Renown - in terms of styling, along with her sister Vigilance - also an oddity, sorry - unique. I honestly can't remember if the Renown had a pool or not. She was my first ship as a certificated 3/0 &, after a bird, would have been my first choice as the 16s generally had good runs. She was no exception & I spent my time on her cruising the Aussie & NZ coasts with one run up to Suva. Unfortunately, she was a very unhappy ship, Captain J.Bridgewood being the cause.

On the Vigilance we had a Master who alieneated himself throughout the ship. If I describe him in his Tropical gear as wearing RN type knee length starched shorts, long white socks and duck canvas blancoed shoes. All topped by a Sir Francis Drake goatee beard you might get the picture. Then there was the run .... West Coast of Africa .... where we got so sunburnt walking back to the ship at Abidjan I have hated being in the sun ever since.... the rest of the ports remain a blank, just a nightmare which memory has a blessed habit of removing all the bad bits.... We did visit Aden where I subbed for £5 as I wanted a pair of binocs ...... it was reduced to 10/- ... he tried to reduce everyones sub ... the Second engineer told him "Stick it where the Sun don't shine .. I'll pay by cheque". Same thing happened when we went to Hamburg ... I was reduced to 5/- ... I ask you ....

It was he who had us using the deep sea lead with the Mate supervising us (This after he had spent a 4 hr watch on the bridge in the fog) running up the English Channel in dense fog when 12 miles away the British Aviator T-boned the Crystal Jewel. We were summonsed to the bridge, the log happened to be amidships .. with the pole swung out over the side... remember?? and told to go to the radio Room. He asked us if we knew what the signal was coming over the radio..... "The Auto Alarm sir" we chorused ... At which he told the Sparks he could answer it now.... Our greatest victory over him was having a piss up in the Second Engineers cabin .... there wasnt a lot he could do without making himself the complete prat he was.... Another trick was for the 4th engineer and Lecky to keep chucking beer cans in the Rosies so he could hear ... then quietly taking them out again only to chuck 'em back again after a suitable time lag all accompanied by raucous shouts. His quarters being just up the staircase from their cabin.

He had us apprentices holystoning the decks followed by wrapping old coir mats around the holystones and shoving them around for hours on end ...I tell you he was the biggest prat of a master I have ever sailed with.

Bloody FULL of himself .......

It was a most unhappy 9 months for everyone aboard. As you say the ship was ok .. it was the Master.

Barnsey

dom
29th May 2007, 13:51
dont know what the time lag is but that sounds like the mate off the Gunner

barnsey
31st May 2007, 05:08
If he finished up as Commodore of BP then he was....

Barnsey

gingerbeer73
9th June 2007, 21:56
What barge ? You loosing it ?

Colin

Billy1963
10th June 2007, 02:19
If it was Commodore Buckley........ I met him on the British Respect in 1980 when my old man was Bosun on her. I was a boy doing my time at the Gravesend NSTC.

barnsey
10th June 2007, 07:32
What are you rabbiting on about CT of 60's BRAT fame ??? Its got nothing to do with barges ..... we are on the NAVIGATION side not the messy oily noisy side of things ...have you sold that lovely barge of yours yet .... philistine!!?

.....and no Billy it was not Buckley .... we are talking 1961/62 ... he had a Moustache, Goatee Beard and if he wore Elizabethan clothes he would have been Drake personified. By the time he got to be Commodore it was around the early 70's I suppose if not mid to late 70's.

Barnsey

gingerbeer73
10th June 2007, 21:17
What are you rabbiting on about CT of 60's BRAT fame ??? Its got nothing to do with barges ..... we are on the NAVIGATION side not the messy oily noisy side of things ...have you sold that lovely barge of yours yet .... philistine!!?

.....and no Billy it was not Buckley .... we are talking 1961/62 ... he had a Moustache, Goatee Beard and if he wore Elizabethan clothes he would have been Drake personified. By the time he got to be Commodore it was around the early 70's I suppose if not mid to late 70's.

Barnsey
I repeat Barnsey, What Bloody Barge ??

I don't have a barge - sold or otherwise. Wish I did mind. !

Colin