Heavy lift ship Benalbanach. 1946.

Ben Boat Jim
20th March 2006, 01:18
Kia Ora from Kiwi.
I am writing (or attempting to) a semi auto biography, based on 44 years in the M.N. I am going to put in some photos, some will be in black and white. Having started off as 'Peggy" on the Ben Boats, I am looking for a photo of my first ship the'Albanach (built1946) I have postcards of her but the photo I am looking for is taken alongside, with the forrard jumbo really 'standing out' because of the angle the photo was taken.
Can anybody help.
Regards Jim Morrison.

Kneale Barber
20th March 2006, 04:27
Jim

I note that there is a photo of this vessel at http://www.solen****ers.co.uk/Picture%20Galleries/Old%20Ship%20Gallery/page2.html

(Note by Benjidog: I have edited the original link in this posting as it did not work. The above link will not work either as it stands as it contains a string of characters that the website censorship software removes. To access this site click on the link as I have posted it, then edit the address at the top of the screen by replacing the **** with the letters t w a t - but without spaces between them)

Unfortunately she is at sea and it may not relevant.

Incidentally I was 3rd mate on the BI Amra in 1961/1962, normally on the Bombay/East Africa run, when we were sent to Hong Kong to drydock.

There had been a very damaging typhoon in HK in the recent past, and while waiting to enter the Whampoa drydock we were tied up alongside an ex Ben Line heavy lift ship which would have either been the Benalbanach or a sister vessel. The sides of the ship were corrugated as apparently she had been blown around the harbour in said typhoon.

Best of luck in your search.

Kneale Barber

DURANGO
30th March 2006, 16:34
hello jim a recent thought came to mind , then i looked on the site and saw your good self many years ago about 1959 i was in napier on the wellington star and i,m sure that laying alongside was a heavy lift ben boat would this have been unusual because i always thought that ben boats only ran to the far east ,i spent 12 years at sea on deck spent some time with blue funnel line amongst others,i got put ashore sick in 62 off an old tramp in shanghai spent a month in hospital there all the best mate be lucky DURANGO dave

Roddy Munro
30th March 2006, 21:22
Was at our local MNA branch get together to-night where we watched a video circa late 50s.Mostly about London to NZ.Port boats, NZS.Star ,and Federal.But in a couple of clips it showed the heavy lift Benarty (1946) coming and going through the Panama.Strange place at that time for a Ben Boat.I have gone via Panama on Bens in the 60s.
So you could well have seen a heavy lift Ben in NZ in 1959.

zsimone
31st March 2006, 08:58
Hi Jim,
I am not sure if this is the photo you were looking for.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2303/benalbanach1119465tw.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=benalbanach1119465tw.jpg)

Cheers
Gary

Ben Boat Jim
31st March 2006, 23:47
Thanks lads for your response, and to you Gary for the photo, but not what i was after.
The ironical part is I have the photo on my monitor screen but cannot for the life of me transfer it to "My Documents"
Regards Jim Morrison.

highlander403
24th January 2008, 21:50
hi jim how are things in nz now not heard from you in ages how did the book go can i buy a copy..

regards scotty fae the brooch

Ben Boat Jim
27th January 2008, 02:06
Have replied to your e mail thanks for same .. have a Mehkong (Monkey brand ) Siamese rotgut whisky.. only six bob a bottle
Regards Ben Boat Jim.

highlander403
27th January 2008, 11:08
jim great to get back in touch again, i really liked reading the tales of your escapades always brought back happy memories..

have a Mehkong (Monkey brand ) Siamese rotgut whisky.. only six bob a bottle

now jim i think that you will find that there has been a price increase or two since then approx price now is 200 baht about 3 , but i never touch the stuff since i got pissed on it in the mossie bar bangkok in 1971 oh happy days

scotty

highlander403
30th January 2008, 10:07
sorry to hear jim that the book writing has been put on hold,
jim im not much of an expert with comps as you know posting pics etc but might you be able to get it into an e mail to yourself and take it out from there?

regards scotty

ernhelenbarrett
17th February 2008, 07:19
Re Benalbanach, I joined her in Tilbury when she was the Empire Athelstan and was run by Paddy Hendersons before the Ben Line bought her. We went from Tilbury to Antwerp where we spent 3 weeks converting the accommodation and re-naming her Benalbanach then over to London to load locomotives for Singapore.My 1st old Discharge Book says I signed on her on 1/12/1947
Regards Ern Barrett.
Bi the way we did test the 120 ton Jumbos in Antwerp so that could be the port you mentioned

joller6
19th March 2008, 01:16
hello jim a recent thought came to mind , then i looked on the site and saw your good self many years ago about 1959 i was in napier on the wellington star and i,m sure that laying alongside was a heavy lift ben boat would this have been unusual because i always thought that ben boats only ran to the far east ,i spent 12 years at sea on deck spent some time with blue funnel line amongst others,i got put ashore sick in 62 off an old tramp in shanghai spent a month in hospital there all the best mate be lucky DURANGO dave

Can you help?

This has been posted on Merchant Navy Site,and i am wondering if anyone here can assist with this.
If anyone can then please go to http://www.voy.com/208979/ and post a reply,i am sure it would be appreciated.
THANKS
joller6

I'm looking for any old colleagues of Harry Davis who served on Blue Star Line for a number of years from the 50's to the late 60's. Harry last served on the Wellington Star before retiring, Harry was born in Nottingham. Harry will be 80 on 16th April 2008 and it would be great for any of his old shipmates to come along and surprise him.
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards,
Paul Burt (Harry's neighbour)

Thanks joller6