RN Shore Bases

Rory Bhoy
22nd March 2006, 00:57
Does anyone have any fots old or new of RN Shore Bases?

CEYLON220
26th March 2006, 15:14
(Thumb) looking for photo of the shore base HMS LOCHINVAR and the one at Donibristle known as HMS COCHRANE in 1960 was once an RNAS during WW2

jocksenior
29th March 2006, 17:44
(Thumb) looking for photo of the shore base HMS LOCHINVAR and the one at Donibristle known as HMS COCHRANE in 1960 was once an RNAS during WW2
Have a photo of Hms Cochrane Main gate shore base at Rosyth. this was taken just after it opened originally consisted of Duncansby Head,Girdle Ness and Chevron as accomodation ships in the dockyard.
Uploaded photo to the gallery

benjidog
29th March 2006, 20:13
I hope you are not a Russian spy Rory! (*))

Brian

danube4
29th March 2006, 20:20
Is HMS Caladonia still in use. I was there 49-50.
Barney.

James_C
29th March 2006, 20:44
It is indeed, still the HQ for the local RNR.

Rory Bhoy
16th September 2006, 13:04
I hope you are not a Russian spy Rory! (*))

Brian

Moi?! ex-RN, now RFA Benji pal (*))

yorky jim
16th September 2006, 15:45
This is the r.n old gunnery school ,for live firings.
i was only ever here for two months ,long enough.

Peter4447
16th September 2006, 20:50
Have a photo of Hms Cochrane Main gate shore base at Rosyth. this was taken just after it opened originally consisted of Duncansby Head,Girdle Ness and Chevron as accomodation ships in the dockyard.
Uploaded photo to the gallery

Had the pleasure of serving in HMS Cochrane in those days - my abiding memory onboard the Girdleplonk was one of cockroaches, there were millions of the little @!*&^1's!!!
Peter4447(MAD)

Jim S
16th September 2006, 22:58
Since 1996 on the closure of HMS Cochrane The Royal Navy Support Establishment HMS Caledonia is the base for the The Band of HM Royal Marines Scotland.

willhastie
29th November 2006, 11:07
after leaving the london in 1965,i was drafted to cochrane, what a shock that was, the duncansby head and girdleness were in a right state cockies everywhere,and drunks never seen so many in the forenoons,the powers that be must have given up ,even saw one guy at tot time, go round in 8s then gum boots on/off burberry untile the ood tapped him on the shoulder "i think six is enough for anyone.being young and skin i had to place my campbed under the bloody goffa machine and when the drunks came off they lost their bloody sixpences and rummaged around,they even puked on me.i did have two wins though while on 9s i was cleaning the reg office and in a drawer found a wad of rum cards the type that looked like a bus ticket,then i got my draft hms barnstone asked the reg whats that, he just shrugged and said she is in the basin be there tomorrow get a haircut,now that was a strange ship.

Peter4447
29th November 2006, 12:17
Hi Will
I think we must have been at Cochrane at the same time. Having returned from 18 months at HMS Rooke to say it was a culture shock was an understatement. I think the convicts in the hulks were better off! I was delighted when my draft chit came through and I joined a Type 14. Alcohol was certainly a problem morning, noon and night. I well remember as a Jack Dusty that one had to keep a wary eye out for the civvy Butcher, regardless of what time of day it was, as one wrong word and he was prone to chasing people around whilst waving a meat cleaver!!!
Dirty, cold, cochroach infested and definately not my favourite draft.
Peter4447

willhastie
4th December 2006, 00:40
peter i returned to the new cochrane a couple of years later all very plush for those days ,but the pissup culture had gone ashore,and was exactly the same as the girdleplonk,but at least it was in relative comfort

Peter4447
4th December 2006, 10:04
Hi Will
I used to dread being stuck onboard if I was duty over a weekend. With the Sunday licencing laws those who needed a few pints were usually as miserable as sin and so there was never a particularly happy atmosphere in the mess I was in (in the tiller flat of Girdleplonk).
Not sure how many Bar boats were operating in Rosyth at that time but it is possible that the Jimmy of the Barnstone could have been an elderly two ringer who like me had just returned from Rooke, where he had been the sports officer. He always seemed a very pleasant character.
Regards
Peter4447

agentroadrunner
5th December 2006, 08:06
HMS CALEDONIA is the entire base at Rosyth.

RNR Unit within CALEDONIA is HMS SCOTIA.

RM Band Scotland based within CALEDONIA.

A

rickles23
5th December 2006, 08:32
05-12-06

I have some photos of HMS Armadillo and HMS Quebec if that's any help to you.

Rickles23

jbryce
19th December 2006, 21:27
Floating accommodation in 1937, before the shore base was built.

jbryce
19th December 2006, 21:31
A nice view across the harbour

A Wighter
22nd December 2006, 10:01
A fabulous picture but of course the best part is the IOW as background!!

jbryce
22nd December 2006, 23:34
HMS Lochinvar with around eight Ton class sweepers alongside.

willhastie
29th December 2006, 10:26
gday 4447 yup the jimmy was as you describe,a decent spud on an unusually happy ship except for coaling,in 69 i went back to the new cochrane refit ghurkha and this froggy sub was paying a visit that day ,so in an idle moment whilst firewatching the welders i made a brilliant bust of de gaulle with an enormous snozzle and placed it behind the bar in the lion club i think it was,well it was on for young an old when those cheese eating surrender monkies saw it,i still laugh when thinking about it ,and her indoors asks whats got into you,your mad laughing at nowt.

robandbarbara
11th April 2007, 23:56
H.M.S. Dolphin. 19.04.1954

CEYLON220
17th April 2007, 00:10
GREAT PHOTOS OF MY FINAL DRAFT "Lochinvar" THE ONE FOR "COCHRANE" WAS THE OLD RN AIR BASE AT DONIBRISTLE NOW AN INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, ANYONE ANY PHOTOS OF THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED, A GOOD SHOT OF "EXCELLENT" WHALE ISLAND FROM THE AIR,SPENT SOME HAPPY MEMORIES THERE IN THE OLD WOODEN HUT FOR STOKERS (SHIPS COMPANY) OUR JOB WAS KEEPING THE CAMP FIRES GOING AND SECURITY DUTIES.

vickentallen
20th December 2007, 22:27
Anybody remember the"Honky Tonk" out side Lochinvar South Queensferr GOOD RUN WILD TIMES!! Vic..