Quick introduction

Doug Rogers
15th August 2004, 07:20
Hello,
I am still trying to find my way around the site but a few quick lines about myself while I have this forum up.
My profile gives a little information but a fuller story is thus:
I started my maritime service in 1960 as a Radio Officer with Marconi, after approx six months I got seconded to the Royal Fleet Auxiliary where I spent close to a year. Then back to sea with Marconi for approx another year before I joined P&O. I spent the next eleven years with them before stepping ashore in Oz to get married and start another life which was not seagoing!!. The reality was that I continued to do much the same as I always had but from a shoreside situation. I worked in the Coastal Radio Service of the Overseas Telecommunications Service (subsequently Telstra) until 1998.
I have a pationate interest in nearly all things maritime but particularly the old P&O liners and other ships of theirs that I sailed on (and that was most of them).I also have a deep interest in the Navies of the world.
So thats a little bit more information about me and I look forward to getting to know members and their respective interests a little more as time goes by.
Best Regards,
Doug

Steve
15th August 2004, 12:38
Hi Doug and welcome to SN, we are still small but I hope more members join?

Ian
15th August 2004, 20:17
Nice to have you with us Doug.
I have a collection of P & O on my personal site at <mnnostalgia.com>
Not as sophisticated a site as this one but I have tried to emphasize the pictorial aspect of many of the 50s and 60s ships.
Great that we have these sites to remind us of the time when ships actually looked like ships............
Not much out there these days except for these massive box barges floating around with a minimum of staff aboard. Boy, what changes in the last 20 or so years.
Regards from Montreal,
Ian
(Admin).

Doug Rogers
31st August 2004, 05:05
Hi Doug and welcome to SN, we are still small but I hope more members join?
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the message, small sometimes can be good but I dont doubt that the numbers will swell as the word gets around. I have passed the word around, one old friend has already joined and I think there will be others before much longer.
Cheers..Doug

Doug Rogers
31st August 2004, 05:11
Nice to have you with us Doug.
I have a collection of P & O on my personal site at <mnnostalgia.com>
Not as sophisticated a site as this one but I have tried to emphasize the pictorial aspect of many of the 50s and 60s ships.
Great that we have these sites to remind us of the time when ships actually looked like ships............
Not much out there these days except for these massive box barges floating around with a minimum of staff aboard. Boy, what changes in the last 20 or so years.
Regards from Montreal,
Ian
(Admin).
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the few lines, thank heavens for sites like this, ships were ships in those days - passengers enjoyed the sea travel and the adventure of it all!!. A far cry as you say from the floating hotels and box boats that are so much evident today.
Catcha soon..Doug

Steve
1st September 2004, 18:11
Hi Doug

We will try and make the site as comfortable as we can for Members So add any ideas or suggestions you may have.