Lloyd Triestino - The End

gadgee
22nd March 2006, 19:16
I now read that Evergreen who assimilated LT in 1998 first got rid of the Lloyd part of the name in July 2005. They have now got rid of Triestino in favour of Italia Marittima SpA. LT had history back to 1836 - sad! Remember Africa, Asia, Galileo Galilei and Guglielmo Marconi??

nigelcollett
23rd March 2006, 09:53
Paul

It really is a shame to see all these great names disappearing but we risk being called old foggies if we shout to much, don't get me wrong I don't think we should forget the past.

NigelC

tanker
23rd March 2006, 10:32
This is the effect of aggregation Company :there is no way out!!! Ahhhh.
Gp

michael james
23rd March 2006, 11:29
What a shame L.T. has disappeared.

It seems that the corporate image of modern conglomerates who absorb companys with tradition and history,do not give a jot about anything other than balance sheets and their own "nouveaux riche" image. A sign of the times I suppose. I admit to being an old fogey on this loss of historic company names.

david
4th May 2006, 09:14
Hi Michael,Nigel and Paul..
Could not agree with you more. What a tragedy.Their Box ships come past my place on the Sunshine Coast on their way to Brisbane and I too have seen their names shrink and now disappear.
At school in Sydney in the 50's I used to see all of them, including the old Toscana that carried the DP's to a new land, and then the glorious Marconi and Gallileo..
There are 2 ships from the 30's that I consider amongst the most beautiful ever built, and one of them is the "VICTORIA" of 1931,tragically sunk only 11 years later in a war brought upon Italy by that lunatic megalomanic, Mussolini.
What a loss!!..[the ship I mean].

A question to you experts.... Has an English Language book ever been published on the Lloyd Triestino Line..I have searched eBay,Amazon,Alibris and some expensive 2nd hand sites but have not come up with anything.
Would appreciate your help.
Many thanks,
David D...Sunshine Coast.

Piero43
4th May 2006, 17:54
Hi Michael,Nigel and Paul..

A question to you experts.... Has an English Language book ever been published on the Lloyd Triestino Line..David D...Sunshine Coast.

I found a book, some ten years ago in London, not specifically about, but including a short story of LT. The book is "Passenger Liners, Italian style" by William H. Miller, ed. Carmania press. It's not a very big book, but you can find in it story and pics of many Italian Ladies.
P.

david
5th May 2006, 01:35
Hello Piero,
Yes I have that book and a number of Bill Millers publications,they contain marvellous pix, and his chatty info!
However it a book just about the company I am searching for.
Many thanks,
David D. (*))

Jan Hendrik
5th May 2006, 01:51
Sad to see a household name in the maritime industry disappearing this way.
It leaves you books and good memories Paul, your only comfort.

Jan

roymuir
13th September 2006, 13:55
Two very smart Kiwi runners in the early 70's were "Esquilino" & "Palitino"

david
20th October 2006, 09:32
Another one for you.
I recently came across a reference to mv"Remo",built for LT in 1927, had a tiny funnel and accom for about 400 pax.
When WW began, evidently she was 'stranded' in Oz and was "taken over" and converted to a troopship and r/n "Reynella," managed to survive hostilities, and ended back with LT in the late 1940's.
She evidently spent a lot of time as a trooper in PNG waters.

Anybody got info about her.??

David D.

aleddy
21st October 2006, 02:20
Take overs is the way of business, Lloyd Trestino took over the Flotto Riunite Shipping Company Pre WW2 and our grandfathers lost sight of some wonderful ships then WW2 caused the loss of most of them.
LT were responsible for putting onto the Australia run 2 all new built from the keel up modern passenger liners in 1963, unfortunately Oz have not seen them since 1976
Cheers
Ted