Hughes Bolckow (Shipbreakers) Blyth & Tyne

Joe Rooney
22nd March 2006, 23:23
I have a pretty well complete listing of ships broken up by this firm for the period 1908 to 1980. If anyone is interested in, or seeking information on any of the ships broken up by them send me an e-mail. The list includes warships, merchant ships, railroad trains, and even some buildings.

Joe

Bearwood
23rd March 2006, 22:07
I would be grateful if you could confirm whether or not the ss Mulbera and the ss Modassa (both BI ships) were broken up at Blyth, and let me know in which year.

Joe Rooney
23rd March 2006, 23:15
Modasa. BI Liner 9,073 Gross Scrapped Blyth 1954.

No sign of Mulbera, but I will search some of the other files.

Regards, Joe

benjidog
24th March 2006, 12:52
Hi Joe,

There are a lot of queries that come up about the fate of ships so if you have a simple list you could upload onto SN it might be helpful to those doing research in the future.

If you are prepared to take more detailed queries you could add at the end "send me a personal message". It would be unwise to include your private email address in a posting as all sorts of scum search through websites to send spam to them.

Brian

WLH
24th March 2006, 13:36
I have a pretty well complete listing of ships broken up by this firm for the period 1908 to 1980. If anyone is interested in, or seeking information on any of the ships broken up by them send me an e-mail. The list includes warships, merchant ships, railroad trains, and even some buildings.

Joe
Does that include trawlers ?, if so would be interested in list.

Regards............WLH

ruud
24th March 2006, 13:45
Ahoy.

Mulbera 1922
GRT:9200
Scrapped - 1954 Inverkeiing

Jeff Egan
24th March 2006, 13:54
Joe, could you tell me where the Tyne yard was situated? I don't remember it.

Joe Rooney
24th March 2006, 22:20
I will try to answer several questions in this one e-mail.

Hughes Bolckow limited was first established in August 1906 as a partnership between Ralph Townsend Hughes, born Feb 29.1864 in Suffolk, and Charles Frederick Henry Bolckow born Dec 2, 1874 in Middlesborough. Both were connected if not wealthy. Hughes was the son of a Baronet, who set up in Newcastle as scrap metal dealer, while Bolckow was the son in law of Sir Arthur Dorman, the founder and chairman of Dorman Long of Middlesborough.

Initially, the pair started business in Hughes existing Wharfage site in Derwenthaugh on Tyne. This is above the Newcastle bridges, so it would be quite restrictive when bringing ships in for scrapping.

Thei first scrapping was a Norwegian cargo ship, the "Norfolk" which ran aground on the Black Middens at the mouth of the Tyne in January 1908. They could not have made any money, because between weather delays and such it took until 1914 to finish this 1813 gross ship.

Their first warship, "HMS Collingwood" was towed up to Dunston buoys, and dismantled to lower her draft sufficiently to tow her alongside at Derwenthaugh.

The next warship, "HMS Barfleur" was an old battleship of 10,500 tons. On arrival in the Tyne in 1910, she became wedged between the sides of the Tyne swing bridge. She had run aground and refused to budge.

After that uproar was settled, Hughes approached the Tyne improvement commission for a deeper water site further downstream, but was rejected.

On November 11, 1911, Hughes signed two Fifty year leases for a new shipbreaking site in deeper water at Cambois, which is on the North side of the River Blyth.
One was with the Blyth Harbour Commissioners for the dredged site and wharfs. The other was with Lord Ridley for plant acreage and railroad connections.

The Derwenthaugh site remained in service until about 1923, and may have passed into other shipbreaking hands, since I remeber merchant ships being towed above the Tyne bridges for scrapping after WWII.

They were busy and apparently successful from then on, and I remember also that they manufactured and sold different types of furniture from recycled wood after the war.

The first ship scrapped at "Battleship Wharf" was the old "HMS Southampton" a wooden frigate dating from about 1819.

In WWII, the yard had no scrapping business, and turned its hand to fitting out warships built at Blythh DRydocks and Shipbuilng who across and down the river from Cambois.

After the war, they switched back to scrapping, and were busy for a number of years, up to about the 1970's. At that time, either because of international competition or the UK"s nationalised steel industry, they slowed down noticeably, and were closedat sometime in or after 1980.

The last ship I show them breaking was the collier "Sinnes" in 1980.

Over the Seventy odd years that they existed, the handled ships of all types: Warships, Submarines, British and German, Passenger Liners, Tankers, Cargo ships,
Trawlers, Tugs, Various Crane and support ships. And outside of shipping, there were railroad stock, bridges, even complete factories. Whatever had steel in it.

Joe

Joe Rooney
24th March 2006, 22:43
I have just finished reading my last rant. And God I am an awful typist!

Concerning other comments and suggestions about making a file available for access online, I would love to,""BUT"".

Most of my files are on both sides of 8X11 paper, and I need to set them up in a searchable format. I was thinking either Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel.

My son tells me that Access is a much better idea.

What I want to do is set up an alpha file, in which each individual file can be sub divided into columns which would each indicate such things as Name,Scrap Date, Ship type,Owners ,Building date, ship specs, Etc.

I would then be able to sort by any of the above criteria, and produce reports to user needs. Say Range of years for scrapping, listing by alphabetic names, listing by owners, or listing by class of ship. Say you need a list of Shell tankers, or BTC tankers, German U-boats or British submarines, or Trawlers scrapped.

Can anyone help me on this with advice of which package to use. My kid would love nothing better than to do it all for me. But unfortunately he's just too clever for this. He can do all the technical things, he owns a software service firm. But he does'nt understand ships and he really does think that my kind of affection for the ships of my youth, and the men I equate with them is a rather quaint manifestation of the old and
impractical.

So there you have it. How best can I do this?

Any suggestions please?

Joe

Jeff Egan
25th March 2006, 11:20
Thanks Joe, 1923 was a little before my time so that's why I would have no memory of Hughes Bolckow, I do recall ship breaking on the Tyne above the bridges up till the 1960s but for the moment the firm involved has slipped my memory.

David Byrne
25th March 2006, 13:02
Joe,

Thanks for the excellent potted history of Hughes Bolckow.

In about 1980 I arranged for a talk to be given by the then general manager of HB to the North East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders. Unfortunately, the talk was scheduled for the week that the yard was finally closed down. The speaker understandably withdrew but not before giving me a box full of old slides and photos and some 16mm film and a book called "Battleship Wharf' dating from 1961. The book includes a list of all the ships broken up on the Tyne and at Blyth from 1908 to 1961 and a loose sheet with a full list of all ships scrapped from 1961 to closure in 1980. The collier SINNIS was the last ship to be scarepped (HB27), but the final scrap contract was the NORMANBY which was described as a barge (HB28).

If you want the lists for cross-checking or for general interest I would be glad to scan them in and send them to you.

By the way, I passed all the photos and film on to the University and I understand they are now in the Newcastle City archives.

Cheers!

David Byrne

Peter4447
25th March 2006, 17:55
Hi Joe
Many thanks for the information. I am sure that you are aware of this but the Company produced an excellent soft-backed history many years ago. If memory serves me right this was approx A4 size with a blue/grey cover and contained my photos of ships being broken up.
I had a copy of this in the 1960's but sadly and much to my regret, my copy has long since disappeared during many various house moves since then.
Peter4447 (Read)
PS Have just read the above post and I see I am not the only one to have seen the booklet and yes, I remember now that the one I had was called 'Battleship Wharf'.

Joe Rooney
25th March 2006, 18:04
Thanks David. I have a copy of Battleship Wharf, and an accompanying list of ships scrapped up to 1961. But I most certainly would appreciate a copy of the list of ships scrapped after that date. it would give a useful cross check to the data I have gathered over the years.I will send you my E-mail address in a private message.

Two main questions continue to interest me. Who was the Derwenthaugh site sold to? and did they continue to scrap ships above the bridges up into the 1960's as Jef says.
secondly, what were the circumstances leading up to the final closure of the firm.

Like you, it was marriage and more likely parenthood which led me to consider , and then pursue, a degree in Economics. I enjoyed the experience so much, that I went back a few years later and obtained a degree in History. One gave me a whole new career, the other gave, and continues to give, years of pleasure.

Regards, Joe

Bearwood
25th March 2006, 18:59
Thank you for the information about the demise of both ss Mulbera and ss Modassa. My father sailed on the Mulbera in the 1930s and my mother served aboard the Modassa from 1938 to 1942, hence the interest. I'm still watching shipsnolstalgia forums for news of ex pupils of the Royal Merchant Navy School - most of the boys went to sea and surely there must be one or two old salts viewing this excellent site.

WLH
25th March 2006, 19:38
Good evening, being involved with steam trawler research, would it be possible to obtain a copy of vessels scrapped Tyne/HB. Happy to pay costs incurred, postage etc;
Regards..................WLH

Joe Rooney
26th March 2006, 00:30
I would be only too pleased to put together a list of trawlers scrapped by HB over the years . Send me your E-mail address by private message, and I will be in touch .

Joe

David Byrne
26th March 2006, 09:00
Hi Joe.

Good to make contact - I received your email address ok.

I will send a scanned version of the 1962 to 1980 list to you today/tomorrow.

As for your other two questions I will do some digging and let you know. being 'local' it shouldn't be too hard to find something.

David Byrne

tom nicholson
26th March 2006, 14:20
the barge you mention NOMANBY was employed for many years by smiths docks taking all the yard rubbish out to see for dumping she once sank at dock gates as they had loaded it with too much spent shotblast.
cheers tom (*))

Joe Rooney
26th March 2006, 20:26
Looking through and old booklet on the industrial river tyne, I found a pen and ink drawing of the upper river, from about Elswick to a bridge above Dunston. It has the inscription "Shipbreakers", on the North side of the river. A description of the area mentions shipbreakers, Clayton & Davie, and later T.J.Thompson.

Joe

tom nicholson
27th March 2006, 09:18
i am almost certain that clayton davies was on the south side of the tyne just upriver from harrisons slipway dunston.

cheers tom (*))

Jeff Egan
27th March 2006, 11:54
Clayton & Davie is the yard I was trying to remember that was working up to the early 1960s above the bridges.

Joe Rooney
28th March 2006, 00:03
Following up on my reading, I find confirmation of my vague recollection that some Tyne shipbuilders occasionaly got into Shipbreaking to maintan their yard crews.

It seems that both Swan Hunters and Palmers Shipbuilding bought medium to large passenger liners in the early days of the depression.

These ships were brought to the respective Tyne yards. There , they were dismantled by existing yard staff in an attempt to prevent loss of skilled staff.

Joe

Peter Dryden
15th April 2006, 12:46
Joe,
What made you choose Hughes Bolkows as a study. I am a local lad here in Blyth, and well remember trips to HB's looking for anything of interest.
They used to have a thriving cabinet making dept. where the furniture off the ships was tranformed into articles suited for domestic use.
My Grandfather, James Farmer, moved from South Shields to work in Bolkows as a burner.
I remember that they broke up a number of A4,s as a lad they were standing in an open siding and were a favourite playground for me.

Peter

Joe Rooney
17th April 2006, 22:20
Hi Peter,

I was born in Bedlington Station, and grew up on the Bank Top, so of courses we always had a great view down the River Blyth into the Port of Blyth.

During the war we always kept an eye out for German aircraft coming in over Blyth, usually to bomb the port and shipyards, but occasionally to sweep up the river and attack the the LNER "Black bridge" or occasionally Bedlington itself, though that didn't happen too often.

As I grew, I was fascinated by the Blyth shipyards, the wartime submarine base, the constant shipping, and of course Hughes Bolckow. Although it ceased shipbreaking during the war, my uncle who was a crippled WWI pensioner, had made a small part time career out of using scrap wood from Bolckows to fashion garden and home nicknacks and furniture. This kept him in food and occasional beers. When he went down to Blyth, both before and after the war he would often take me with him, so I became quite familiar with the yard, and its operations.

That was the the genesis of my interest in Hughes Bolckow. To this would be added an interest in the old Bedlington Iron Works, and of course the ever present coal mines which were such a large part of our life in South Northumberland.

I played on the pit heaps, just as I played in the ruins of the old Bedlington Iron Company on both sides of the River Blyth down by the Furnace bridge.Little did I know what my childhood games would lead to in another life!

In my mid thirties I was given the opportunity of taking a business degree in the process of transferring from the Canadian infantry to an administrative function following an injury received during a training accident. I later used this experience to take a History degree for my own interest. This of course led me back to my old interest and familiarity with the industrial and and social mixes of the Tyne, Blyth, and coal mining areas.

So thats why I do it, and I am a little too set in my ways to change now. I'll be 74 in a couple of weeks, and I am still as fascinated in shipping, shipbuilding, shipbreaking, coal mining, engineering, and the people who made, and make it possible, as I was when I was seven years old, and playing on the banks of the Blyth.

By the way Peter, what do you lecture in? and where?

regards, Joe

Peter Dryden
17th April 2006, 23:00
Lovely to hear from you Jo, I am employed by Newcastle College in the Automotive Centre.
I served my time in Blyth as an apprentice car mechanic with the Co-op in Coburg Street Garage, moving on to BMW's then Jaguars, then went back to Northumberland College (Ashington Tech) took some teaching qualifications, stepped sideways into teaching my trade.
My late father, Bob, served his time in Blyth shipyard as a fitter, then went to sea during the war years, came ashore and returned to the shipyard, left the shipyard and went pipe fitting for English Electric building the B section of the power station, when that contract was finished he went down Cambois Pit, finishing up down Bates
My Father Died Last month aged 85 so was a good bit older than yourself,but was a well known figure in the Blyth Community.
You will remember the "Hair Pin Bend", I used to love cycling down it seeing how fast I could take the bends.

Peter

Hughes Bolckow Collector
3rd September 2006, 07:12
If anyone out there is a fellow collector of Hughes Bolckow furniture it would be good to hear from you.

graham atkinson
3rd September 2006, 16:46
Joe,

Have a few colour prints from the 1950s of ships arriving to be broken up. They are prints from colour slides and the quality is ok.

Like you trying to comes to terms with technology and was intending to scan all my prints to disc. Seems you are good enough reason to try it out.

Always remember the old Tees tug Lackenby lying up river, just below the Kitty Brewster bridge. You could probably see it from the Bank Top pub. She was sold to HB but they resold her to a local and was evenually broken up where she lay in the early 80s

Graham

Will need your email address please by private message

jemimavillepete
15th October 2006, 17:12
Hi Joe-
I lived in a house near Cullercoats Radio Station that had- still has- an engraved window made from glass from a liner broken up at Blyth prior to say 1930. I would be most grateful if you could let me know which liners were broken at HB before 1930, then maybe I can work out from which the glass came. Many thanks, Peter.

Joe Rooney
17th October 2006, 03:30
Hi Peter,

Hers are a list of passenger vessels broken up in Blyth during the period 1920-1934.

Name. Built. Scrapped.

Amsterdam 1894 1928
Carmania 1905 1932
Empress of Scotland 1905 1930
Finland 1902 1928
Orcoma 1908 1933
Oscar II 1902 1933
Roulers 1906 1930
St George 1906 1929
Walmer Castle 1902 1932

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Regards, Joe

R736476
17th October 2006, 18:14
Clayton & Davie is the yard I was trying to remember that was working up to the early 1960s above the bridges.

Jeff,
Clayton & Davie were still operating in January 1971.
They happened to be breaking, as luck would have it, a 1947 Swedish built Finnish coaster with a 6 cylinder Polar Atlas main engine at my moment of need! I was overseeing a refit of the Bustler class tug RFA Reward at Wallsend Slipway when the forward cylinder block on the port British Polar main engine decided to dramatically crack asunder. No spare block was available, it was also beyond fixing with Metalock and Polar wanted 9 months to cast a new one! Luckily I had a tip off from a guy at Marshalls in Hull that the after block from an opposite hand engine would also fit and the same tip off said Clayton and Davie are breaking one!!
Got the block at a bargain price and amazingly fitted - interchangeability was obviously more a feature in the 1940s! Reward's engines built at Glasgow in 1944 and the replacement in Sweden 1947.
Sadly Reward was sunk in the Forth under the White Ensign as an OPV only some 3-4 years later.
Happy memories,
Alex(Thumb)

Joemac
13th January 2007, 12:56
Hello Joe - I was looking for info on HB and came across your posts. I note your North East interests and wondered if you get Mike Kirkup's mag 'Creeful of Coals' ? I have sent him some photos of the Cambois Ferry with HB in the background and he asked me for any info I had. Would you mind if I used some of the info you give on SN (with credit given of course). He is planning to use the photos in the March issue. I also have photos of the A4 locos 'Kingfisher' and 'Lord Farringdon' at HB. I could send copies to you if you are interested. Best wishes Joemac

spartan
13th January 2007, 23:42
On the Riversea website in the nostalga section there is a couple of sets of photos showing vessels alongside at the yard.Also the name of Bolkows still Lives on in Blyth.The High Street Social Club is still referred to as Bolkows.As it was built on the site of the old Bolkows Social Club .We used to live a few doors up from it.
Cheers
Spartan

John1959
18th January 2007, 05:49
Hi Im new to the site but live only a few miles from where Hughes Bolkows was. and used to live opposite as a kid. I can remember many differnt vessel being broken there including war ships I would be very intrested in any information you have. Nostalgia is a wonderfull thing.

jactaa
20th January 2007, 19:19
My Father was born in a house on the north bank of the River Blyth, right by the Furnace Bridge. I have one or two photos of the area in the early 20th century, somewhere on my PC
My maternal Grandmother 'ran' the pub, 'The Seven Stars ' at North Blyth, during and after the 2nd World war. My Step-Grandfather was a ' coal trimmer' on the colliers.

As a teenager I had a desk which I believe came from a passenger ship broken up at Hughes Bolckow. It would have been a real coincidence if this was from the Modasa as I joined BI and spent 21 years in that company, 1954 would fit in.

My Grandmother , on hearing that I was to join the Merchant Navy, warned me about the 'evils of strong drink', having first hand experience of the seafaring fraternity enjoying their grog.

Don

Joe Rooney
21st January 2007, 02:53
There used to be several houses at the bottom the Furnace bank, adjoining the road to the furnace bridge.

We were always told that these houses were the former offices of the Bedlington Iron Company, and one of them (I know not which.) had been the home of Michael Longridge who was the manager and part owner of the company.

I believe that these houses were demolished in the late 50's , early 60's, and the site is (Or was when last I saw it some twenty years ago) just green fields. The housing on the south side of Furnace bridge was also demolished at about the same time.

One of the last families to live on the south side of the bridge was the Munley family.

Joe

Joemac
8th February 2007, 23:24
Hello John, As you are interested in Hughes Bolckows and the 'old days' around the Blyth area, you should check out the local magazine, 'Creeful of Coals'. There is a website with further details. I sent in a piece on HB based on the info from Joe Rooney together with a couple of photos of the Cambois Ferry and one of the A4 locos in Bolckows siding. I think this stuff will be in the March edition. The mag is made up mainly of peoples memories of the area so you could send your own stuff in if you fancy. Regards, Joemac

amboman88
14th February 2007, 15:19
Hello John, As you are interested in Hughes Bolckows and the 'old days' around the Blyth area, you should check out the local magazine, 'Creeful of Coals'. There is a website with further details. I sent in a piece on HB based on the info from Joe Rooney together with a couple of photos of the Cambois Ferry and one of the A4 locos in Bolckows siding. I think this stuff will be in the March edition. The mag is made up mainly of peoples memories of the area so you could send your own stuff in if you fancy. Regards, Joemac

How does one get a copy of Creeful of Coals please ?

Thank you,

Ron

amboman88
14th February 2007, 15:23

Hi, there were three breakers in the Dunston vicinity. Dorkins and J.J. Kings were below the Redheugh bridge, the last ships I saw being scrapped here were Algerine minesweepers, WAVE and WELCOME in c1963.

Further up, at Dunston, just beyond the flour mills was Clayton Davies, they disappeared in about 1975. I saw plenty ships being scrapped here, they did trawler, tugs, dredgers, submarines etc etc. I have some photos and will be happy to post them if anyone wants. They also scrapped steam engines and I remember seeing a line up of V2's getting scrapped there. The yard foreman was most accomodating and let you have access to all areas. DOunt that would happen now with all this health and safety lark.

Have fun,

Ron

Joe Rooney
14th February 2007, 17:07
Hi Ron,

I would like to see some of those pictures if you can.

Do you know of any way of obtaining a list of ships scrapped. Clayton Davies seem to have dropped off the ends of the earth, all I know about them is that the yard was established in 1926. Presumably, they closed after 1975.

Regards, Joe

amboman88
14th February 2007, 17:19
Hi Ron,

I would like to see some of those pictures if you can.

Do you know of any way of obtaining a list of ships scrapped. Clayton Davies seem to have dropped off the ends of the earth, all I know about them is that the yard was established in 1926. Presumably, they closed after 1975.

Regards, Joe

i AGREE, I have never seen list of what was scrapped there other than what I saw myself or noticed in old copies of Marine News. Some of the last ones there were the dredger Wynyard and tug Wonder from Seaham, Harkers tanker Teesdale H I think it was that had burned out at Jarrow Oil Wharf and the TICs last bucket dredger. Also three big old oil burning trawlers from Hull. May I suggest that you E Mail me on Fulbeckron@hotmail.com and I will send the photos. I only joined the site yesterday and am not yet familiar with how to post on the site but I will be contributing just as soon as I get sorted.

Ron

Joemac
2nd March 2007, 17:53
How does one get a copy of Creeful of Coals please ?

Thank you,

Ron

Hello Ron - Mike Kirkup produces 'Creeful'. He can be contacted by phone - 01670 855749 or by e-mail mike@mikecree.freeserve.co.uk. The current March issue did contain the article and photos relating to Hughes Bolckows. The mag is made up of articles and photos sent in by readers and there is always something of interest.
Best wishes
Joemac

denerva49
15th March 2007, 15:15

Joe

hello FRIENDS I HAVE a MISSION VERY DIFFICULT TREATMENT TO LOCATE READY OF PASSENGERS OF STEAM ORCOMA WHO I WEIGH ANCHOR OF the PALLICE FRANCE IN 1908-1912 SINCE WAS On board MY MOTHER, IF SOMEBODY KNOWS LIKE OBTAINING THAT LIST OF PASSENGERS sere been thankful, ALL INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT, a GREETING and thanks NEMESIO denerva49@yahoo.es

bristolian
19th May 2007, 20:12
Hello Joe,

You mention that you have a list with details of the Railway Locos etc broken by Hughes Bolckows.

Would you be able to send me a copy please?

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Hi Peter,

I was born in Bedlington Station, and grew up on the Bank Top, so of courses we always had a great view down the River Blyth into the Port of Blyth.

During the war we always kept an eye out for German aircraft coming in over Blyth, usually to bomb the port and shipyards, but occasionally to sweep up the river and attack the the LNER "Black bridge" or occasionally Bedlington itself, though that didn't happen too often.

As I grew, I was fascinated by the Blyth shipyards, the wartime submarine base, the constant shipping, and of course Hughes Bolckow. Although it ceased shipbreaking during the war, my uncle who was a crippled WWI pensioner, had made a small part time career out of using scrap wood from Bolckows to fashion garden and home nicknacks and furniture. This kept him in food and occasional beers. When he went down to Blyth, both before and after the war he would often take me with him, so I became quite familiar with the yard, and its operations.

That was the the genesis of my interest in Hughes Bolckow. To this would be added an interest in the old Bedlington Iron Works, and of course the ever present coal mines which were such a large part of our life in South Northumberland.

I played on the pit heaps, just as I played in the ruins of the old Bedlington Iron Company on both sides of the River Blyth down by the Furnace bridge.Little did I know what my childhood games would lead to in another life!

In my mid thirties I was given the opportunity of taking a business degree in the process of transferring from the Canadian infantry to an administrative function following an injury received during a training accident. I later used this experience to take a History degree for my own interest. This of course led me back to my old interest and familiarity with the industrial and and social mixes of the Tyne, Blyth, and coal mining areas.

So thats why I do it, and I am a little too set in my ways to change now. I'll be 74 in a couple of weeks, and I am still as fascinated in shipping, shipbuilding, shipbreaking, coal mining, engineering, and the people who made, and make it possible, as I was when I was seven years old, and playing on the banks of the Blyth.

By the way Peter, what do you lecture in? and where?

regards, Joe

daveburnley
10th September 2007, 16:15
Joe,
Saw your post about this Hughes Bolckow. Have you any records of the destroyer HMS Wensleydale (L86) which was scrapped at this yard in 1947. Is there anyone out there who would have a photo of her at Blyth.
Regards Dave Allen

Steve Woodward
10th September 2007, 17:26
Wensleydale L86 . Built by Yarrow Laid down 28 Jul, 1941, launched 20th June 1942 and Commissioned 30 Oct, 1942.
She was involved in a collision with LST367. on the 21st November 1944, never repaired and scrapped Blyth 15th February 1946.
She was a Hunt class 3 - the torpedo armed variant of these handy little ships, to compensate for the weight of the torpedoes and tubes she only carried two twin 4" guns turrets instead of the normal 3

L279'11" B 37'05" Draft 7'10" Disp standard 1,050 tons Full load 1,490 tons
Machinery : twin screws Parsons geared turbines, 19,000 shp 2 Admiralty 3 drum boilers, speed 27-8 knots, Range: 2,350 miles at 20.0 knots
Armmament : Four 4" guns in two twin turrets one ford, one aft), a single quad 40mm/2 pounder PomPom, 3 20mm Oerlikons, 3 21" torpedoes, single depth charge track plus two throwers.

Sorry no pic

Isabel Hastie
5th December 2007, 09:30
Hi Joe

Does your list hold liberty ships on it or US ships that were scrapped there at all?

Thanks

Isabel

melliget
5th December 2007, 12:50
hello FRIENDS I HAVE a MISSION VERY DIFFICULT TREATMENT TO LOCATE READY OF PASSENGERS OF STEAM ORCOMA WHO I WEIGH ANCHOR OF the PALLICE FRANCE IN 1908-1912 SINCE WAS On board MY MOTHER, IF SOMEBODY KNOWS LIKE OBTAINING THAT LIST OF PASSENGERS sere been thankful, ALL INFORMATION IS IMPORTANT, a GREETING and thanks NEMESIO denerva49@yahoo.es

Hi.

If you search the Catalogue of the National Archives (UK) on just the official number of the ORCOMA, 127920 (nothing else), it returns 26 records for BT 26, Inwards (UK) Passenger Lists.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

To order copies, click on a record, click "Request this" and following the instructions from there.

regards,
Martin

spartan
5th December 2007, 18:47
Hi Isabel, I know of a coulpe of liberty ships that were broken up there were
Jean Baptiste built as Fort La Tour in 1943/7142 grt.Which arrived at the yard 16/7/60
Sangaetano built as Samtrusty in 1944/6586 grt.Arrived at the yard 2/5/72
Cheers
Spartan

KIWI
5th December 2007, 20:04
Never heard of the firm,never been to the city but what a fascinating story was opened up.The power of modern communications & of this site in particular could not be better illustrated. Kiwi

backsplice
7th December 2007, 10:24
i would just like to add that i have enjoyed this forum .........although i,m not familier with the breakers yard etc I sailed in and out of Blyth many time and just loved the place ..........this forum is a CLASSIC example of what Ships Nostalgia is all about ....Merry Christmas to all our members .....Backsplice

dogsbody
12th January 2008, 20:26
HI JOE,
I HAVE FOUND AN OLD PHOTO OF THE EMPRESS OF WESTLAND,LOOKS TO BE 30s AND LOOKS LIKE HER ENTERING BLYTH,DOES YOUR LIST HAVE HER ON IT,
AS I CANT FIND ANY INFO ON HER.
CHEERS, PAUL.

spartan
13th January 2008, 19:21
Hi Paul there was no ship of that name broken up at Bolkows are you sure it is not the Empress of Scotland ?
Cheers
Spartan

Joe Rooney
14th January 2008, 18:06
I agree with you Spartan.

The Empress of Scotland arrived for breakup after a fire aboard.

And that was in December 1930.

Aside from that I see no name close to Empress of Westland!

Regards, Joe

BlythSpirit
14th January 2008, 18:52
If you check out my gallery you will see a photo of the Empress Of Scotland coming into Blyth for scrapping - http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/53906/ppuser/10343, and one of her one fire here:- http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54560/ppuser/10343

albert.s.i
15th January 2008, 13:42
hi joe just finished reading your tread and what memoreis i was born in blyth 1925 at cowpen quayalmost in the ship yard i can say from starting to walk the river was my play ground fishing which brings me to your subject while fishing at the low ferry with other kids we saw smoke belshing up the riverfrom bolkows we in with our gear run up ferry bank through the flanker along the main street to the high ferry and the the place was crowded it was the flying scotsman at bolkows on fire i think it was 1935 about that time we moved from cowpen quay to to a council house near the high ferry under the slum carence act the fore shaw became my play ground and bolkows was often visited by way of a home made raft or a somebodys row boat but there was always a ship in those days at battle ship wharf and i must have seen scores but couldnt name one and was mensioned by peter drysden the furnisher was cheap along with the ships life boats i could on forever about the river blyth but will thank you joe for the memories albert.s.i

Jim Palmer-Hoyes
17th October 2008, 15:32

Joe

Joe
I have just been given a superbly made set of garden furniture and under the table is a metal plate bearing the inscription ''Made by Hughes Bolckow shipbreaking company Blyth Northumberland. TEAK TAKEN FROM HMS Powerful''
would you know what year that ship was broken up or what year the furniture was made.

Regards
Jim Palmer-Hoyes

K urgess
17th October 2008, 15:40
Welcome aboard, Jim.
HMS Powerful was broken up at Blyth in or after August 1929
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/198600

Cheers
Kris

HALLLINE
21st October 2008, 17:47
Hi all,
What happened to the ships figurehead that used to be just inside the main gate at the Blyth yard ?. I spent a lot of my youth along the river in the 1950's. Saw ships launched saw ships scrapped. Saw the power station build and pulled down. I used to have the BP flag off the British Tanacity and still have a photo of the Alaunia before she went to Spain and the press cuttings of the Holderness when she was wrecked on the North pier.
I can remember the Owen being towed in by an Admiralty tug.The tug berthed just below the dry docks and the Old man shouting at 3 of crew that they were 1 min adrift, as they poured out the pub opposite, can't remember the name of the tug or the pub now.
Dave

spartan
25th October 2008, 19:36
Hi Dave,I have a book of Archive photos of Blyth compiled by the Blyth Local studies Group from 1997.Which has a photo of the figurehead.The accompaning text statesthe following.
"The history of the ships figurehead of the Greek godess Ceres which stood outside Bolkows offices was said to be over 200 years old.Where she came from originally is lost in the midst of time,but she is thought to have come to North Blyth when the company started here in 1911".I seem to rember reading somewhere that she was bought by a southern buisnessman.
It seems that the tugboatmen had been in the Dun Cow.
Cheers
Spartan

HALLLINE
27th October 2008, 16:25
Thanks Spartan,
I always thought it had come off one of the first ships scrapped at Blyth, may be an old 'wooden wall' from the Tyne. I'm sure we'll find out.
Dave

HALLLINE
27th October 2008, 16:29
Forgot about the pub, that would be it. Is it still there or has all that front been cleared ?.
Dave

sbuglass
27th October 2008, 17:56
I Was Brought Up In Cambois And Remember Lots Of Ships Meeting Their Fate There At Bolkows.anyone Remember The Seven Stars Pub Just At The Entrance To Port Of Blyth One The North Blyth Side?

spartan
28th October 2008, 09:17
Dave,the Dun Cow was pulled down years ago.
Cheers
Spartan

BlythSpirit
28th October 2008, 09:49
Have a look at these two for the Dun Cow:-
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/59925/ppuser/10343
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/59477/ppuser/10343

and this for the Bolkow's figurehead

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/58726/ppuser/10343

HALLLINE
28th October 2008, 11:43
I remember the Seven Stars, did a bit of under age drinking outside of there. Vaux Strongarm !.
I can remember Blyth being a busy little place along the quay by the Dun
Cow, it all seemed to disappear when the staiths were pulled down.
Dave

Dave

BlythSpirit
29th October 2008, 11:12
Here is the Seven Stars:-
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/58725/ppuser/10343
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63000/ppuser/10343

HALLLINE
29th October 2008, 13:51
I think I might have got the beer wrong, it must have been double maxim, I think Strong arm was Camrons. The loss of those houses to the people who lived in them must have been a blow, at the peak of the housing boom, they would have fetched about 1/2 million, each !. As regards the figure head, the only ceres I can find, is the cruiser from the first world war.
When I was in the Sea Scouts we used the old tally clerks office and I can remember the bin waggon going along the beach to the Seven Stars and the houses. About that time the Glasgow was in for scrapping along with lots of destroyers and frigates,must have been 1955 to 60.
Dave

Ron Stringer
29th October 2008, 22:28
''Strongarm'' was definitely a Camerons beer. Don't remember what they called Vaux's the beer (nothing that could be published here, anyway) - never was desperate enough to drink it. Not with S & N and Camerons' beers available at almost every pub between Middlesbrough and Tynemouth.[=P]

BlythSpirit
30th October 2008, 09:04
Ron - Blyth is not between Middlesborough and Tynemouth(Jester) The Vaux strong beer in bottles was Double Maxim

Ron Stringer
30th October 2008, 10:52
Ron - Blyth is not between Middlesborough and Tynemouth(Jester) The Vaux strong beer in bottles was Double Maxim

Hi BlythSpirit. I know fine where Blyth is, but as I was based South of the Tyne, I worked mainly (and did most of my drinking) between the Tyne and the Tees. Hence I am more familiar with the pubs of that region than those of Blyth. Apart from the odd call to a fishing boat in Seahouses, Craster or Alnmouth, I can hardly remember going North of the Tyne on a job. Once or twice only to Blyth to sort something out on a collier. Norman Baines from the North Shields base provided excellent cover up there and we only got called in when he was away on leave.

albert.s.i
1st November 2008, 11:50
i must apolagise for the mix up of my dates i was only 5 years old when i watched the empress of scotland burning and it was 1935 when i moved from cowpen quay to the new houses in millfield gardens near the high ferry so i was still by the river albert.s.i

Steve Bardy
15th June 2009, 20:13
Hi Joe, I am an antique dealer in Newcastle upon Tyne, and occasionally buy Hughes Bolckow furniture. Although they have plates with the ship's name, I am always interested to know the date of the items. At present I have a trolley which is made from teak taken from HMS Powerful.which I believe was scrapped in 1929. I would be grateful if you were able to confirm this for me? Thanks. Steve Bardy

spartan
17th June 2009, 19:25
Steve, HMS Powerful was broken up at Blyth in 1929 (as Impregnable1 by that time a training ship)
Spartan

Ghost
27th July 2009, 22:11
Another couple of photos of the figurehead along with some of the furniture made. According to this website the figurehead went east.

http://www.figureheads.co.uk/lost_not_forgot_navel.htm

Ghost
27th July 2009, 22:12
Anyone going to post a list of the ships demolished?

melliget
28th July 2009, 04:51
Hi Joe, I am an antique dealer in Newcastle upon Tyne, and occasionally buy Hughes Bolckow furniture. Although they have plates with the ship's name, I am always interested to know the date of the items. At present I have a trolley which is made from teak taken from HMS Powerful.which I believe was scrapped in 1929. I would be grateful if you were able to confirm this for me? Thanks. Steve Bardy

Hi Steve.

Spartan's already confirmed but here's some info from The Times:

The Times, Monday, Sep 16, 1929
LAST OF AN OLD CRUISER
A naval link with the South African War
was severed on Saturday with the departure
from Plymouth of H.M.S. POWERFUL, built 35
years ago as a fast armoured cruiser and now
sold out of the Navy. She has been bought
by a shipbreaking firm. When on the way
home from her first commission in China she
landed a naval brigade and 14 guns to assist
in the relief of Ladysmith. After being the
flagship of the Australian station for six years
she was fitted out as a training ship at Devon-
port. She was so used until the end of last
year, when the establishment was closed down.

I believe she was flagship of the Australian Station before the war. There are some pictures of her to be found via Picture Australia:
http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pictureaustralia?term1=H.M.S.+Powerful&action=PASearch&attribute1=any+field&mode=search

regards,
Martin

evasgirl
16th October 2009, 14:53

JoeHi Joe. I'm a new member and I'm excited to read your post above, even if it is 4 years old. I've gleaned some information about U-35 which was broken up at H.B. yard 1920 and will hopefully see the original photos of it and others at Northumberland Archives near Ashington soon.This U-boat torpedoed my grandfather's ship in 1915 and being an engineer he did not survive, low down in the engine room.He and his ship the Tara were from Holyhead, Angelsey.What a coincidence that I moved up to Newcastle over 55 years ago! I'd love to know of the whereabouts of any bits of the U-35, if any.Hoping for a favourable reply!

hhodgetts
18th December 2009, 16:41
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I have been researching bits of info about my hometown of Blyth and came across this thread as a result of the Empress of Scotland. My research has been about the harbour and related staithes and of course HB comes up as part of that subject, so all these comments on this thread have brought back memories of the old homestead, especially the comments about the old tug close by the road bridge of the River Blyth. I remember that lying there for years. I thought it was going to be fitted out as a live aboard by a local person, but that seemingly never happened.

The road bridge carrying the A189 over the River Blyth was in the late 70's the scene of a few nasty crashes, one of which happened in the darkness and involved a van hitting the parapet and catapulting the driver through the windscreen. He fell 100 feet into the mud below (the tide was out). The police when looking for the driver of the van in the wreckage realised what must have happened so sent an officer down to the river bank to find the drivers body. The officer once down on the river bank had quite a surprise as the van driver was alive!!!! though stuck fortunately face up in the mud. The officer went to the van drivers assistance and hauled him out of the mud. It transpired after his trauma and night flight that he only had a broken arm!

Anyway, moving on, is it correct that the A4 loco Kestral was broken up at HB's? I see that Lord Farringdon and Kingfisher are mentioned but not Kestral.

Also, those of you that have pictures of the High Ferry, do you notice on the North Blyth side in those images that there is a semaphore signal especially for the ferry? How did that function? Any information would be great.

Here is a close-up of it. I assume that since the signal is for the ferry that it comes under shipping rather than railways? (?HUH)

Cheers

Philip

hhodgetts
18th January 2010, 02:54
Hi all, the answer has come through from Fred Wagstaff who used to be a train driver out of North Blyth;

"'The signal on the landing was to indicate that the Ferry had lowered the wires to the bottom of the river to enable ships to navigate up to the West Basin for loading or turning. The procedure was that a ship requiring to pass the landing would blow one long and two short blasts when passing Colpits landing to indicate to the ferry crew that they should drop the wires to allow the ship safe passage. If the Ferry was at the South side, he would immediately set off for the North side, because that was where the Cable tensioning gear was situated, and lower the wires. When the wires were safely on the bottom, the Ferrymen would give an answering long and two short on the Whistle, and pull the signal to the off position - why, I'm not sure because it would certainly not be seen in fog, or by ships coming from the West Basin direction! Of course, the people involved would all know what was planned to happen, and would be well briefed by VHF Radio if any alterations were to crop up. I remember an occasion when a 'new' J77 arrived at the Shed, fitted with an A4 calliope whistle. On its first week on the Staiths, every time the whistle was sounded, the Ferry crew went to panic stations, thinking a ship was en route...all because no one had told them!"

So there you have it, it was shipping (==D)

Electric Al
19th January 2010, 10:26
The Masonic Hall bar in Blyth is fitted with heavy wood furniture from a scrapped passenger ship, very imposing.

Malky Glaister
20th January 2010, 08:49
With reference to steam locos scrapped at the Blyth yard of Hughes-Bolkow
A4 s dismantled were nos 1,24,26 &34. Kestral at this time was an A1.
A full list of locos can be found Railuk site in the steam section.
I am amazed at the vast knowledge of all contributors to this thread ( and others)
Regards, Malky Glaister

hhodgetts
25th March 2010, 05:09
Hi Dave,I have a book of Archive photos of Blyth compiled by the Blyth Local studies Group from 1997.Which has a photo of the figurehead.The accompaning text statesthe following.
"The history of the ships figurehead of the Greek godess Ceres which stood outside Bolkows offices was said to be over 200 years old.Where she came from originally is lost in the midst of time,but she is thought to have come to North Blyth when the company started here in 1911".I seem to rember reading somewhere that she was bought by a southern buisnessman.
It seems that the tugboatmen had been in the Dun Cow.
Cheers
Spartan

Ceres was a ship built at Blyth I believe in the late 18th C and was used in the transportation of slaves to the America's. There is info about her being captained by a man from the Isle of Man during those activities. See link below.
She was captained by the nephew of the owner (Mr Bury of Blyth) when she was captured on 30 August 1807 in the second battle of Copehagen, the survivors being taken into custody and remained POW's till the end of the French War in 1815. Some were held for more than 11 years. Quite what happened to the vessel after the war goodness only knows, but perhaps her figure head remained in Blyth until HB took possesion of her. Speculation I know, but that long ago it is a bit sketchy. I am more than happy to be corrected by anyone with better info. My source is from a book by John Wallace printed 1868.

Could this be a print of her?

http://www.culture24.org.uk/places+to+go/north+west/liverpool/art44774

Philip

Billieboy
25th March 2010, 07:28
With reference to steam locos scrapped at the Blyth yard of Hughes-Bolkow
A4 s dismantled were nos 1,24,26 &34. Kestral at this time was an A1.
A full list of locos can be found Railuk site in the steam section.
I am amazed at the vast knowledge of all contributors to this thread ( and others)
Regards, Malky Glaister

Not really that surprising Malky, as an engineer, the best pre-sea grading one could get, was from being an apprentice at a loco building or repair works. Out of some 40 engineers I sailed with 6 that had served their time in Loco shops.

falloon
17th September 2010, 13:16
This plaque is on display in the foyer of the RNYC, South Harbour Blyth. It speaks for itself.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/tony1699/HughesBolckow001.jpg

Freddie61
26th October 2010, 18:43
Hi, there were three breakers in the Dunston vicinity. Dorkins and J.J. Kings were below the Redheugh bridge, the last ships I saw being scrapped here were Algerine minesweepers, WAVE and WELCOME in c1963.

Further up, at Dunston, just beyond the flour mills was Clayton Davies, they disappeared in about 1975. I saw plenty ships being scrapped here, they did trawler, tugs, dredgers, submarines etc etc. I have some photos and will be happy to post them if anyone wants. They also scrapped steam engines and I remember seeing a line up of V2's getting scrapped there. The yard foreman was most accomodating and let you have access to all areas. DOunt that would happen now with all this health and safety lark.

Have fun,

Ron
I have just read your post with great interest, my father worked at Clayton & Davies from 1936 to the closure of Thompsons in 1975. I would be very interested to see the photos that you have, as I have compiled a history and ship list from my fathers notes and I do have lots of photos but I am trying to make it as comprehensive as possible. I spent all of my childhood roaming around the ships in this yard and I have a house full of souvenirs

cangie1966
3rd November 2010, 19:57
Joe,

Thanks for the excellent potted history of Hughes Bolckow.

In about 1980 I arranged for a talk to be given by the then general manager of HB to the North East Coast Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders. Unfortunately, the talk was scheduled for the week that the yard was finally closed down. The speaker understandably withdrew but not before giving me a box full of old slides and photos and some 16mm film and a book called "Battleship Wharf' dating from 1961. The book includes a list of all the ships broken up on the Tyne and at Blyth from 1908 to 1961 and a loose sheet with a full list of all ships scrapped from 1961 to closure in 1980. The collier SINNIS was the last ship to be scarepped (HB27), but the final scrap contract was the NORMANBY which was described as a barge (HB28).

If you want the lists for cross-checking or for general interest I would be glad to scan them in and send them to you.

By the way, I passed all the photos and film on to the University and I understand they are now in the Newcastle City archives.

Cheers!

David Byrne
Hi there, for years my father-in-law (Jock Greenaway) was manager at Hughes Bolckows. then when my husband (Ian Greenaway) left school he went to work there in the late 60's, early 70's. he often talks of his time there with many stories he told our kids throughout the years. He now tells the stories to our Grandchildren.

davidships
4th November 2010, 00:16

Not sure whether Joe is still watching this thread. But in any case am looking for who scrapped any of the following tugs (year is approximate demolition time):

ACTIVE 1955; ALEXANDRA 1927; ANAWAB 1940; AQUILA 1943; BANTAM COCK 1938; BLIGHTY 1925; BONCHURCH 1948; CENTRAL No.5 - 1931; CENTRAL No.9 1938; CHALLENGER 1925; CONTEST 1928; CONTEST 1930; EAGLE 1927; EMILY CHARLOTTE 1948; FERRYMAN 1940s?; HOLKA 1929; HULL 1946; IAN 1947; INGRIA c1960?; JAMES WATT 1935; JOHN BRUCE 1937; JOHN FOSTER SPENCE 1934; LADY BUTE 1924; LADY CECILIA 1957; LADY DORA 1964; LADY THERESA 1963; MABEL 1949; MALTA 1934; MARKROCK postWW2 (built 1921); MINAS 1924; MOTORMAN 1955; MUSCOVITE 1950; OLIVE 1924; PEA COCK 1930; PENLEATH 1946; PERT 1948; PIONEER 1938; POWERFUL 1924; QUEEN TUT 1933; R W WHEELDON 1948; REYNARD 1927; RIVERMAN 1948; ROBERT L COOK 1928;
ROMULUS 1927; ROSE ANN 1923; STAG c1957; SUNFLY 1939; SUNNY 1935; TERRIER II 1927; THE EARL 1928; TROY 1953; UNDAUNTED 1947; UNITED 1927; WANDERER 1907; WELSHMAN 1947; WEST COCK 1935; ZEALANDIA 1922.

backtorealityuk
29th November 2010, 22:59
I have a rather nice clock made from the wooden handrail of a staircase of the Mauretania which has a little plaque on the back saying this and that it was broken at Hughes Bolckow, Blyth. It doesnt say when, does anyone know?

spartan
30th November 2010, 09:37
Hi,the Mauretania was broken up at Rosyth arriving on 4/7/35.So it may not have been from her.The fact that the plaque is on the back may suggest that it was from another ship that was broken up at Blyth
Cheers
Spartan

Jimma
10th January 2011, 13:23

Joe

Hi Joe

have you anything on the Trawler Ranger Brisies

spartan
10th January 2011, 19:21
Hi Jimma, no record of her being broken up by Bolkows
Spartan

dave-d
12th April 2011, 09:51
Hi Joe

have you anything on the Trawler Ranger Brisies

exi Fritz Homann broke up as the Hausa at Blyth 1979

TCC
15th April 2011, 03:32
Where about in Blyth was 'Battleship wharf'? Where did they scrap the big ships?

Did HB own or rent a drydock in Jarrow in the mid 20s? I've seen a photograph of a battleship, sold to HB for scrap, being stripped (lightened?) down to her lowest decks in this Jarrow dock before being transported to Blyth. Where in Jarrow would this dock have been?

Can anyone help? Cheers

BlythSpirit
15th April 2011, 11:25
TCC - Battleship Wharf is on the north side of the River Blyth, east of the Blyth Power Station locality.

spartan
16th April 2011, 16:37
TCC I think you may be referring to HMS Lion which had to be lightened before moving to Blyth.This was done at Jarrow Slake.
Cheers
Spartan

TCC
16th April 2011, 17:39
TCC I think you may be referring to HMS Lion which had to be lightened before moving to Blyth.This was done at Jarrow Slake.
Cheers
Spartan

Yes, I am actually. But this is the image I refer to. I'm looking up Jarrow Slake' and it's a mudflat, not a hard-walled dock! 'Hansard' describes it as "an area of extensive mud flats between the river Tyne and the main road linking South Shield and the Tyne tunnel."

Was it the north edge of South Shields fronting the river? And between river mouth and the Tyne Tunnel?

So HB must have used this 'Jarrow Slake' a few times... it must have been part of HBs process with such ships?

While I'm at it, where was HBs wood yard that made the furniture, etc. Non of what I have seems to accord with the Joes post earlier in this thread.

Appreciate the help

TCC
16th April 2011, 17:40
TCC - Battleship Wharf is on the north side of the River Blyth, east of the Blyth Power Station locality.

Hi
is this it by the blue arrow?

Thanks, appreicate the help.

Edit: I found it, it's the side highlighted by the red arrow, but lower down. Right? Just found a marvellous site.

http://www.davidheyscollectionextra.com/page15.htm

chadburn
17th April 2011, 05:28
I understand it's going to be the Site of a new Marina, hopefully they will have taken the disgarded scrap from in the Dock first, I also understood there was Asbestos buried in that area.

spartan
17th April 2011, 14:54
TCC , I think the image you posted must have been taken at Hebburn when after a long drawn out process of trying to get Blyth Harbour Commissioners to give permission for her to enter Blyth (they felt she posed a risk due to being too big ). In an effort to resolve the issue it was decided to cut her in two sections.
Jarrow slake was only used on the one occassion to strip the top hamper.
Yes the site of the yard was below the red arrow in the bottom right quarter of the pic.
The furniture making workshop was to the right on the other side of a road which intersected the site.
Cheers
Spartan

TCC
18th April 2011, 07:14
TCC , I think the image you posted must have been taken at Hebburn when after a long drawn out process of trying to get Blyth Harbour Commissioners to give permission for her to enter Blyth (they felt she posed a risk due to being too big ). In an effort to resolve the issue it was decided to cut her in two sections.
Yes the site of the yard was below the red arrow in the bottom right quarter of the pic.
The furniture making workshop was to the right on the other side of a road which intersected the site.
Cheers
Spartan
That's pretty interesting Spartan. I did come across an etch years ago but in the last few days, I found the description to it, and it all fell into place.

I've seen photos of other Super-dreadnoughts being towed up that approach channel into Blyth so I did wonder why LION was different in this regard. I take it the problem was length and weight with the prior example of the BARFLEUR in the minds of the city fathers?

The one thing I don't understand is if they removed everything above the protective deck in Jarrow/Hebburn or on the Tyne itself, how did he deck planks end up in the yard in Blyth?

The last query: This is 'Hebburn dry Dock', right?

Thanks for your help (and BlthSpirit) I finally joined together a lot of loose ends.

TCC
18th April 2011, 08:07
Cheers
Spartan
That's pretty interesting Spartan. I did come across an etch years ago (see attachment) but it's only in the last few days that I found the description to it, and it all fell into place.

I'm also wondering is the 2nd image (dated 1916) maybe something to do with her scrpping? The date could be wrong.I always thought the stern in view was TIGER but I now think it may be LION, TIGER being the shape in the distance to the left.

I've seen photos of other Super-dreadnoughts being towed up that approach channel into Blyth so I did wonder why LION was different in this regard. I take it the problem was length and weight with the prior example of the BARFLEUR in the minds of the city fathers?

The one thing I don't understand is if they removed everything above the protective deck in Jarrow/Hebburn or on the Tyne itself, how did he deck planks end up in the yard in Blyth?

The last query: This is 'Hebburn dry dock', right? If there's a few, which one will it be?

Thanks for your help (and BlthSpirit) I finally joined together a lot of loose ends.

hhodgetts
18th April 2011, 10:19
Hi
is this it by the blue arrow?

Thanks, appreicate the help.

Edit: I found it, it's the side highlighted by the red arrow, but lower down. Right? Just found a marvellous site.

http://www.davidheyscollectionextra.com/page15.htm

Hi TCC, I have captured a section of map and marked the Bolckows site in red. It covered the area from the Ridley Arms down to the High Ferry crossing point. When Bolckows were breaking up steam locomoties they also used the field adjacent to the site (between them and the North yard) to store engines and rolling stock on temporary sidings.

Philip

hhodgetts
18th April 2011, 10:30
Here is a section of harbour plan that shows the location of the site as it was just prior 1934.

Philip

hhodgetts
18th April 2011, 11:00
And an aerial view of the site in 1962. You can just make out two long sidings curving across the field behind the site. When the Tyneside electric trains were scrapped (1965) the rolling stock was held on those sidings.

Philip

spartan
18th April 2011, 19:08
TCC ,if you go on naval-history.net site under the sub menu WW1 at sea and scroll down to British shipbreaking there is a photo of the stern of the Lion after the tow line broke
In answer to your other querie I'm afraid I don't know which dry dock,and presume the wood would have been transported by road or rail
Cheers
Spartan

TCC
19th April 2011, 07:36
And an aerial view of the site in 1962. You can just make out two long sidings curving across the field behind the site. When the Tyneside electric trains were scrapped (1965) the rolling stock was held on those sidings.

Philip

Hi HH
You an spatan are very helpful. The North East is as familiiar to me as the moon.

So where, on your birds eye photo, was the office with this figurehead? I mean area as the office building looks post-war. The 'furniture workshops' being visible 'over the road'.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/58726/ppuser/10343

This is an interesting film. The figurehead is on screen near the end by the original 'office' (white walls & dark wood)
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=10054

THUNDERER approaching HB up the channel:
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=15286

Much appreciated guys!

hhodgetts
19th April 2011, 11:36
Looking at the aerial picture of the site there is only one building that looks like the one featured in the Ceres figurehead shot and I have marked it with a red arrow.

The picture of the figurehead was taken on the 23 June 1970 though the copy of it that I have does not have the name of the photographer attached to it. Does any one know who he or she was?

stan mayes
19th April 2011, 23:00
During 1938 I was in a coaster Camroux I and made a few trips with cargoes
of scrap from Thomas Ward (Shipbreakers) Grays,to Blyth and a return cargo
of coal to Fulham London.
During that time I saw the Royal Mail Liner Arlanza being demolished.
There was much furniture and boxes of objects etc on the quay but no chance
of souvenirs as it was constantly watched by security.
I also made the last voyage of the tanker San Roberto - eleven months..
We paid off at the breakers at Blyth on 15th November 1949...
Stan

TCC
20th April 2011, 10:01
Looking at the aerial picture of the site there is only one building that looks like the one featured in the Ceres figurehead shot and I have marked it with a red arrow.

The picture of the figurehead was taken on the 23 June 1970. Does any one know whothe photographer was?

Hi HH :-)

Look at these 2 images. I submit that the house in the photo (with 3x 1st floor windows) might be this one and therefore, the figurehead may have been behind the building by the blue arrow?

If you look into the distance between the buildings, there are no buildings or other in the far distance. Therefore, it is probably over water.

chadburn
20th April 2011, 10:58
Look's like a Weather Ship in the bottom RH Corner, any idea which one please?

TCC
24th April 2011, 16:41
Did HB have a house flag?

jrdawson1955
25th April 2011, 23:47
I am very interested in HB lived at Cambois for a couple of years, but used to go there as a kid. I remember when it closed and lots of people went to HB and stripped an old sub that was there. Brave i think, or silly must be the word as they used to get the scrap and work against the tide changing.
I got a book Battleship Wharf, by horace white from 1961. its good for info, like ships broken up at battleship wharf and the tyne, and a good little info on battleships fitted out at battleship wharf. i paid 35 for it at the antique book fayre at tynemouth a bout 4 years back and it was worth every penny.
there is also a dvd i got from www.sixtownships.org.uk on ships built on the river tyne. it was good for info and classic scenes. i got blyth a journey through time and it has ships going to be scrapped at HB, ships being launched and the empress of scotland on fire. my uncle derek loved it too. hes from cambois and loves tug boats. his uncle worked on the bothal "i think" and it was on the blyth dvd. it brought his memories flooding back. hes getting on now and was talking to me about another ship the empress of india. it came into HB and the staff were all on board and buses were awaiting to take them back to their destination. he said it was beautiful. i contacted a few people through friend and seen some of the furniture that was built many years ago. i said "lets know if you are downgrading house etc. i will buy them, " and i will. beautiful pieces of furniture. i think some of it is at the houses of parliament too. not too sure, tho. i know a lot of benches went to that london tho.

peter3807
5th May 2011, 20:24
http://www.aboutblyth.co.uk/

Great thread and wonderful history. Above site has great images of Blyth River Traffic.

Peter

77vonspee77
5th October 2011, 20:38

Joe

hi stevie here im an avid ship historian who would love to know more about ship breakers ie hughes bolckow and anything else about ww1 and ww2 ships submarines anything you have my father was a weilder at bolckow in the 70s tried everywhere to get material would like to see more pictures of the ships broken up at blyth thanks for your help....

77vonspee77
6th October 2011, 22:44
Anybody Got A Copy Of Battleship Wharf By Horace White They Are Intersted In Parting With .....will Pay....

hhodgetts
6th October 2011, 23:02
There is a copy advertised here;

http://www.alexalec-smithbooks.co.uk/books/bookdetails.asp?book=6516

P

77vonspee77
7th October 2011, 08:58
There is a copy advertised here;

http://www.alexalec-smithbooks.co.uk/books/bookdetails.asp?book=6516

P

thanks just sent email .....

77vonspee77
7th October 2011, 21:40
Would just like to thank spartan on receiving the hughes bolckow list 1961-1980 of ships broken up at the site it will help me in my quest....

77vonspee77
8th October 2011, 10:59
Heres something i would like to find out......
when hughes bolckow closed in 1980 who broke up the russian whisky submarines in Blyth and which yard ?????????......

Malky Glaister
17th October 2011, 09:18
On Saturday 15th October I was on a steam hauled railtour on the Blyth and Tyne railway, freight only normally. We crossed a main road and I noted a big green road sign directing roadusers to BattleShip Wharf !

What is going on there these days?

regards Malky

BlythSpirit
17th October 2011, 15:38
For Malky,

Battleship Wharf is being used nowadays to offload coal being imported to Blyth, - how's that for a turnaround in fortunes!! A one time Blyth was the largest exporter of coal in the world.

Malky Glaister
18th October 2011, 06:58
Thanks BlythSpirit. I remember years ago taking the ferry, in darkness from South to North and back to visit the engine sheds at both sides of the river. This also involved a very long bus ride from Newcastle's Haymarket.

I took a pic as the train on Saturday crossed the river, tide was out. I will try tp post off to you if it's any good,

regards and many thanks

Malky

left seat
18th October 2011, 22:47
I think HMS Matapan was broken up here in 1979, am I correct?

spartan
20th October 2011, 19:49
Left Seat,she was broken up at Blyth but not by Hughes Bolkows.She was broken up in the old Blyth Shipyard dry dock by another Firm who had set up there.
Spartan

left seat
22nd October 2011, 23:18
thank you Spartan

John1959
30th October 2011, 10:06
Hi folk has anyone got a list that Joe passed around for the ships etc broken at Hughes Bolkow I got them off Joe a few year back and had them stored in my email system but now the email company has sold up and therfore lost all my stuff if any one has it and can email them to me I be most gratefull

left seat
9th January 2012, 23:25
was HMS Matapan scrapped in your yard about 1979?

hhodgetts
9th January 2012, 23:49
Google search took me to Wrongipedia. Perhaps it will answer your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Matapan_%28D43%29

77vonspee77
13th January 2012, 23:12
was HMS Matapan scrapped in your yard about 1979?

have the complete list from 1960 till the yard closed in 1980 she is not on the list anytime near 1979 ......

spartan
14th January 2012, 08:22
Left Seat,look at post 124 in this thread
Spartan

77vonspee77
14th January 2012, 08:28
Hi folk has anyone got a list that Joe passed around for the ships etc broken at Hughes Bolkow I got them off Joe a few year back and had them stored in my email system but now the email company has sold up and therfore lost all my stuff if any one has it and can email them to me I be most gratefull

hi got joes bolchow list 1960-80 need your email address and will forward it to you ....

mikesuds
24th June 2012, 20:36
Not sure whether Joe is still watching this thread. But in any case am looking for who scrapped any of the following tugs (year is approximate demolition time):

ACTIVE 1955; ALEXANDRA 1927; ANAWAB 1940; AQUILA 1943; BANTAM COCK 1938; BLIGHTY 1925; BONCHURCH 1948; CENTRAL No.5 - 1931; CENTRAL No.9 1938; CHALLENGER 1925; CONTEST 1928; CONTEST 1930; EAGLE 1927; EMILY CHARLOTTE 1948; FERRYMAN 1940s?; HOLKA 1929; HULL 1946; IAN 1947; INGRIA c1960?; JAMES WATT 1935; JOHN BRUCE 1937; JOHN FOSTER SPENCE 1934; LADY BUTE 1924; LADY CECILIA 1957; LADY DORA 1964; LADY THERESA 1963; MABEL 1949; MALTA 1934; MARKROCK postWW2 (built 1921); MINAS 1924; MOTORMAN 1955; MUSCOVITE 1950; OLIVE 1924; PEA COCK 1930; PENLEATH 1946; PERT 1948; PIONEER 1938; POWERFUL 1924; QUEEN TUT 1933; R W WHEELDON 1948; REYNARD 1927; RIVERMAN 1948; ROBERT L COOK 1928;
ROMULUS 1927; ROSE ANN 1923; STAG c1957; SUNFLY 1939; SUNNY 1935; TERRIER II 1927; THE EARL 1928; TROY 1953; UNDAUNTED 1947; UNITED 1927; WANDERER 1907; WELSHMAN 1947; WEST COCK 1935; ZEALANDIA 1922.

any info on breaking up of tug penleath for the fowey tugs record. picture of the yard anything.will mention the source .much appreciated
mike

A.D.FROST
25th June 2012, 10:09
any info on breaking up of tug penleath for the fowey tugs record. picture of the yard anything.will mention the source .much appreciated
mike

B/U 3.61 Bruinisse,Holland (Marel & de Korte)(Thumb)

cvcstudios
22nd November 2012, 01:42
Hi I have just joined this site and my reason for is that my father RN 36/52 Resolution Eurylus Penelope & Belfast i can remember he served on , he also told me of a ship he served on was broken at Clayton and Davies Dunston and that some Seamen killed in action were found entombed
I am unable to recall the Ships name and wonder if you can shed any light on this
I do know they are buried in the same graveyard he is in Garden House Swalwell

Best Regards Dave Clark

Freddie61
22nd November 2012, 18:43
Dear Dave
This vessel was the SS Malines a former London & NE Rly vessel converted to a convoy escort torpedoed in July 1942 and beached at Port Said, a bulkhead was concreted in order to refloat the vessel. Malines arrived at Clayton & Davies on the 23rd of Dec 1947, During her dismantling in 1948 the remains of at least three persons were found behind the concrete bulkhead. Malines was a survivor of Dunkirk. I still have a masthead copper lamp from this vessel.
Fred

A.D.FROST
23rd November 2012, 08:10
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20M/slides/Malines-01.html

cvcstudios
23rd November 2012, 09:50
Many thanks for your reply but i seem to think there must have been another in the 70s as the chronical reported the discovery also think this was an RN ship
DAVE

Dear Dave
This vessel was the SS Malines a former London & NE Rly vessel converted to a convoy escort torpedoed in July 1942 and beached at Port Said, a bulkhead was concreted in order to refloat the vessel. Malines arrived at Clayton & Davies on the 23rd of Dec 1947, During her dismantling in 1948 the remains of at least three persons were found behind the concrete bulkhead. Malines was a survivor of Dunkirk. I still have a masthead copper lamp from this vessel.
Fred

cvcstudios
23rd November 2012, 09:53
many thanks for your reply but i seem to think there must have been another in the 70s as the chronical reported the discovery also think it was an RN ship

Dave

chadburn
23rd November 2012, 14:58
There was an antique programme on yesterday where a garden chair had been made from wood salvaged from a vessel which had been scrapped at H.B. Unfortunatly I was not in the room when the donor vessel name was mentioned.

christwigg
13th March 2013, 17:08
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread after 7 years, but does the list in question have any details on HMS Southampton and HMS Collingwood ?

They were used to build this pub in Marske which I wrote a blog entry about :-
http://www.hidden-teesside.co.uk/2013/02/22/ship-inn-marske/

hhodgetts
13th March 2013, 17:42
The information I have about these ships is;

Both broken at Hughes Bolckow

On the Tyne;

1909 Collingwood, battleship, 9,150 tons displacement, launched 1882, Ironclad Turret Ship

On the Blyth (Southampton was the very first ship to be broken at HB's Blyth);

1912 Southampton, training ship, 1,476 tons displacement, launched 1820, former frigate, keel laid 1805

P

christwigg
13th March 2013, 17:47
Thanks for the info, i'm seeing if the pub are interested in me putting something together for the wall.

A friends of mine has some excellent photos of the yard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bolckow/sets/72157613350841151/with/3255364888/

hhodgetts
13th March 2013, 17:49
Yes, I have seen that collection of wonderful pictures before.

P

hhodgetts
13th March 2013, 17:57
Whilst doing some research for my Cowpen & Blyth page I came across this interesting work of art. The breaking of HMS 'Britannia' (ex 'Prince of Wales') in 1916 by the artist Frank Brangwyn.

http://www.aucklandartgallery.com/the-collection/browse-artwork/11240/britannia

I also have a number of other HB wood furniture adverts. If you'd like copies of them for your blog I'll gladly share them with you.

P
P

christwigg
13th March 2013, 17:59
I don't suppose anyone has a photo of the 1820 HMS Southampton before it was broken up ?

The best i've managed is an ebay magic lantern slide that might be it.

christwigg
13th March 2013, 18:03
I also have a number of other HB wood furniture adverts. If you'd like copies of them for your blog I'll gladly share them with you.

Thanks for the offer but I already found a fair few of those on Graces Guide.

Theres also a nice photo of the Collingwood being broken up.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/d/de/Im1914NY-Hughes0.jpg

pityacka
5th May 2013, 20:44
I will have to stop trawling about on the internet, and IN HERE. Being from Blyth, Hughes Bolckow caught my eye, so I have had a quick look. Must set aside a couple of hours tomorrow to have a steady read of these contents,
Thanks for the post and all the threads.

hhodgetts
5th May 2013, 23:02
This thread has gone very quiet now, but nice to see you found your way to it PYFB. Some interesting and fascinating stuff. You will enjoy it.

P

BRIAN IDDON
9th July 2013, 21:25
I Am New To The Site. Looking for any photographs or anything of interest about HMS Magpie,arrived at H&B for breaking In 1959

IanMGriffiths
16th July 2013, 21:58

Joe

Hi Joe
I've just joined today and saw above. Whilst on a railway trip to Borough Gardens loco sheds on 25/26th July 1958, I had a fleeting glimpse from the Tyneside? Electric train of a large warship (apparently complete) in for scrapping. Trouble is -HMS Glasgow was ?gone by July 1958 and HMS Euryalus didn't arrive for 12 months. Its one of those boyhood memories which still remains a puzzle - can you help Joe please?
IanG

BRIAN IDDON
21st July 2013, 17:08
Hello Ian,

Do you have any information relating to HMS Magpie.

IanMGriffiths
21st July 2013, 17:36
sorry brian, no.
I'm hoping Joe is still using the forum - he appears to be the Bolckow expert. My only link to this scrapyard is a 10sec view from a train in July 1958!
Ian

spartan
22nd July 2013, 18:31
Ian where about is Borough gardens ? it seems that you crossed the river Tyne, Bolkows was on the river Blyth and had no passenger trains around for miles
spartan

Cambois John
27th July 2013, 15:51
My Grandfather's first job was at Hughes Bolckow's yard at Cambois, he went there because he was too young to start at the pit, but always considered himself very fortunate to get that job. His first pay was given to him in a small tin with a lid with orders that it should be taken intact to his Mother. His first wage ? One Shilling. Upon reaching the age of fourteen he left to begin work at Cambois Colliery.
The correct address for ' Bolckow's Yard ' was North Blyth, the steam ferry to Blyth was just outside the gates, cost half-a-penny fare in my day, a wooden tobacconist's hut was nearby, the nearest public house The Ridley Arms, locally known as the ' Willick ' (local dialect for whelk) overlooked the yard at the north end. I remember life boats and goods from famous ships being offered for sale, in the later years steam trains and double-decker buses were seen in the opposite storage yard.

nelly
17th August 2013, 21:14
interesting site my family lived right next door to the breakers in high ferry house sadly no longer there, my dad still tells me stories when he used to play in the ships which where being broken up , how lucky was he, the few times we visited ,
I was everywhere memories

nelly
17th August 2013, 21:18
also the garden was used as a giant air raid shelter for anyone close by don't no if that included bolkcows yard

nelly
17th August 2013, 21:24
hi john do you still live at cambois ??My Grandfather's first job was at Hughes Bolckow's yard at Cambois, he went there because he was too young to start at the pit, but always considered himself very fortunate to get that job. His first pay was given to him in a small tin with a lid with orders that it should be taken intact to his Mother. His first wage ? One Shilling. Upon reaching the age of fourteen he left to begin work at Cambois Colliery.
The correct address for ' Bolckow's Yard ' was North Blyth, the steam ferry to Blyth was just outside the gates, cost half-a-penny fare in my day, a wooden tobacconist's hut was nearby, the nearest public house The Ridley Arms, locally known as the ' Willick ' (local dialect for whelk) overlooked the yard at the north end. I remember life boats and goods from famous ships being offered for sale, in the later years steam trains and double-decker buses were seen in the opposite storage yard.

ekd
12th November 2013, 16:14
Hi,the Mauretania was broken up at Rosyth arriving on 4/7/35.So it may not have been from her.The fact that the plaque is on the back may suggest that it was from another ship that was broken up at Blyth
Cheers
Spartan

It could well be from the 'Mauritania'.

Thos.W. Ward at Inverkeithing, supplied HB with teak and other valuable hardwoods for re-cycling into other products, not only from the ships scrapped in Scotland, but other Ward's sites across the country.

If the plaque says R.M.S. Mauretania, it probably was from her; although she was not actually scrapped at Blyth.
This happened very frequently to many ships, over the course of the scrapping heydays.

HB was best equipped to carry on with this woodworking business.

ekd

Adelaide1958
1st January 2014, 17:53
Hi
I'm looking for a list of passenger ships scrapped at Hughes Bolchow, probably sometime between 1950 and 1975. I have a poker which was supposedly made from the brass fittings of a chandelier from a ship during this time and hope to be able to narrow it down to a few choices.

spartan
1st January 2014, 20:22
Hi Adelaide the following Liners were broken up between 1950 to 1957.

1950 Nova Lisboa
1951 Vasna
Shirala
Nyassa
1952 Tairea
1953 Mantola
City Of Canterbury
Antenor
1954 Modasa
1957 Tamaroa
The above being the last Liner to be broken up at the yard

Hope these few help your search
spartan

Adelaide1958
3rd January 2014, 09:33
Thanks for that Spartan.

None of the names ring a bell unfortunately so maybe I'm wrong about the passenger ship. I was told the name but its a long time ago now. Do you have a list of all of the ships broken up between 1950 - 75?

Thanks again

spartan
4th January 2014, 10:38
Adelaide, if you P.M. me I will send you a list
spartan

spartan
10th January 2014, 18:51
Hi Adelaide got your p.m. can you send me another with your e-mail address will attach lists.
spartan

Brian Brown
12th January 2014, 04:59
My Grandfather's first job was at Hughes Bolckow's yard at Cambois, he went there because he was too young to start at the pit, but always considered himself very fortunate to get that job. His first pay was given to him in a small tin with a lid with orders that it should be taken intact to his Mother. His first wage ? One Shilling. Upon reaching the age of fourteen he left to begin work at Cambois Colliery.

Hi Cambois John

Being born at 33 Worsdell Street North Blyth in 1938 I was curious to note that you mention Bolckow's "correct" address as North Blyth?
In Googling the address I find that it is "Battleship Warf Blyth" which seems to fit with my memories of the many trips back and forth across the river Blyth..
My father used to work as a 'Teamer' at the North Blyth Staiths hence I spent many happy hours watching the comings and goings at Bolckows on the Blyth side...
During the above 'Googling' I came across several interesting photographs taken at Bolckows...
Regards
Brian Brown

ChristineK
27th January 2014, 20:36
My Great Grandfather worked on the Tyne in the 1900's I have a brass plaque of the declaration of Independence, which I was told my Great Granddad, Joseph Summers, removed from the Captains Cabin or Bridge, during the dismantling of the ship. I am trying to find out if an American ship called the Independence was dismantled on the Tyne in the 1900's.
Do you or anyone else have any information?
regards
Christinek

Kerrywetton
25th February 2014, 13:53
Can anyone confirm if the 'Armadale Caste' was indeed scrapped in 1936 in Blyth by Hughes Bolckow Ltd.

spartan
26th February 2014, 19:10
Hi thanks for your p.m. have replied to confirm she arrived at Bolkows 12.6.36.
spartan

lynsay
8th March 2014, 11:17

Joe
Hi Joe,

Do you have records for the RMS Atlantic ship, under White Star Line, it sank in 1873 on coast of Nova Scotia and I believe it went to Hughes Bolckow in which the teak from the wreckage was made into a bench that I currently have, the dates as to when this happened and how I received are yet to be determined. can you help at all?

kind regards,

Lynsay

lynsay
8th March 2014, 11:51
Ok so far from this plaque on a bench I have possibility of two ships in which the wood is made. can anyone tell me if Hughes Bolckow Blyth Northumberland, received S.S. Atlantis or Atlantic to scrap, as so far Atlantic fits with its history however the plaque reads Atlantis in which from research was scrapped at Faslane Scotland in 1952.can anyone help?

spartan
14th March 2014, 19:59
Lynsay no vessel named Atlantis or Atlantic were scrapped by Bolkows
spartan

brownboots
7th June 2014, 09:42

JoeHi Joe Hope you are still active as I am replying to your posting dated 2006. Would you have any information on the SS Begum
as have a bench made from teak taken from her and made at Blyth. I did some research and found a "Sam" boat the was converted to an aircraft carrier during the war that did service in the Mediteraneum and was named the Begum but was not broken up at the shipbreakers at Blyth. Regards John

fl00se
7th July 2014, 16:03
Hi I have just inherited some teak garden furniture that was made from the decking (?) taken from the RMS Armadale Castle. Could someone please let me know when the Armadale was destroyed. I am thinking it was around c1936. Not sure on it's value but after reading some of the posts I am getting quiet attached to it....

spartan
8th July 2014, 19:28
Armadale Castle arrived at Bolkows 12.6.36
spartan

stan mayes
8th July 2014, 20:32
I was at Blyth in the coaster Camroux I with a cargo of scrap iron from Thomas Ward (Shipbreakers) Grays in 1938 -I think? I saw the liner Arlanza there being broken up..Can anyone confirm the date she was there please.
I was at Blyth again in November 1949 in the tanker San Roberto.
I made the final voyage of 11 months in San Roberto and after discharging cargo at Ghent we lay by for a few days while prospective buyers viewed the
ship for further trading but at 29 years old she was beyond it..
We then sailed for Blyth and berthed on Hughes Bolckow foe breaking up...
Stan

spartan
9th July 2014, 18:49
Stan, the Arlanza arrived at the yard 15.9.38
spartan

stan mayes
10th July 2014, 17:31
Hi Spartan,
Many thanks for that.. I was sailing as mate in sailing barges from 1936 and one day I heard that the coaster Camroux I wanted a seaman and I got the job.
I was then told that I was relieving a seaman who wanted a few weeks off.
I remember it was in summer but not sure in which year but recalled seeing
a lot of furniture being taken off Arlanza so it must have been soon after she
was berthed there..Thankyou again.
Stan

Chris Wakefield
28th August 2014, 09:43
some pics from local sources of some ships on their way to being broken up at Hughes Bolcklow in Blyth

hhodgetts
28th August 2014, 15:28
'Arlanza' was broken up at Bolckows in 1938.

P

brownboots
16th September 2014, 19:15
HI joe could you send me your e,mail add. Mine is brownboots@talktalk.net