St Enoch/St Colman

stevie
23rd March 2006, 14:54
Had to spend about a year on the UK Coast early 70s .Pool Docter Wouldn't let me go deep Sea due to Medical reasons.Came as a bit of a shock to move from a Bluey, with a 6 Hatches a Jumbo and 24 Derricks,to one of Gardners of Glasgow with 1 hatch and all the Coaldust that you could eat.Joking apart looking back except for the Hatch cleaning when you were changing from a coal Cargo,to a Grain,or China Clay Cargo they were not bad jobs.Watchkeeping at Sea was spent in the Messroom forever turning the TV aerial to get the best Picture on the old clapped out Telly.When you tied up you were given a pushbike and a shopping list and sent up to the nearest Supermarket to get Stores for the Cook.The Food wasn't bad really and I'll allways remember the first time I ever came across a Tetley Teabag was on the St Enoch. In Blueys you went down to the second Steward who took the Tea out of a Teachest,weighed it and gave it you with your Sugar and Conny oni.I could go on but Why I really started this thread is to find out what happened to the St Enoch and St Colman If anyone Knows please tell
Stevie

tanker
23rd March 2006, 15:18
I suppose she was the SAINT COLMAN of J&A Gardner Glasgow,Gideon built 1963 ,858g.t.?,if yes in 2004 named ST.COLMAN,Honduras flag of Roseda shipp. Panama.
Gp

tell
2nd April 2006, 07:28
I was on a coaster but of Gardners of Lancaster she was a dutch clog called Calyx, she was in such an unseaworthy condition that we refused to take her out of sight of land, we finally capitulated when we loaded a cargo of moulding sand, we ended up leaving her tied up at the sea wall

alanmarshall
16th March 2007, 21:44
I sailed on the St Colman in 1976 as Cook/Steward for 5 months( joined in Ardrossan,sent home sick for 2 weeks from Liverpool then rejoined in Lochaline, finally paid off in Partington). she done a lot of middle trading ,was a bit shabby but a happy enough ship, Skipper was Harry McCartney who was a lovely old soul, Chief Engineer was wee Jimmy ??????,

fordy
24th March 2007, 02:47
hi stevie, my uncle fred powell was a donkey greaser on the st enoch in 1974.was tied up in neath wharf for a while i believe.wonder if you were around then

ronald taylor
21st March 2008, 17:49
Hi, I was onboard a cargo vessel called St Colman with stores in March1969, while she was sheltering in Scapa Flow in a S/E Gale.
Would this be the same ship you are speaking about ? and if so can anyone give me any more details or a photo would be great.

ian d.cameron
21st March 2008, 18:06
From the Gallery
Saint Colman
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=54775

Saint Enoch
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39058

Barry Man
23rd March 2008, 16:48
There is an excellent history of J & A Gardner written by Graham Atkinson. Packed with photographs and a detailed history of each ship.

R831814
25th March 2008, 11:06
Saint Colman in River Foyle sometime in 60's. Not a great photograph.

calyman
12th September 2009, 20:42
I worked on the St Enoch, as catering assistant, from 75-76. It was my first ship after leaving the Sea Training school in Gravesend.

I fondly remember the cook, Harry Valentine. He was a great old guy who looked after me. Anyone know what happened to him?