Mahout or Markhor?

Tony Selman
23rd March 2006, 21:54
In the process of rummaging around my slides for publication on here I have come across this slide. Unusually for me I do not know where this was taken or of what ship. Unfortunately a couple of boxes of slides were dropped several years ago and they did not go back in the right order so I cannot narrow the year or place down to where it was in the sequence. The ship is plainly on charter to Mitsui which I know several Brocks ships were in the late 60's and I myself was on the new Mahsud on charter to Mitsui in 1969/70.

I don't know Mahout or Markhor sufficiently well to narrow this down. Were they exact sisters? Was one on charter to Mitsui and not the other?

As a wild guess at the location I would say it is the entrance to Port Philip Bay near Melbourne but that is only because the lighthouse looks vaguely familiar.

Can anyone else help with the detective work?

R798780
23rd March 2006, 22:09
A little niggle says one was chartered to Mitsui and the other to K Line, but not sure which.

Tony Selman
24th March 2006, 12:55
I've looked very closely at this image and on balance I think the name on the bows says Markhor. There are appear to be 7 letters rather than 6. I have tried with the virtual magnifying glass programme as well but this doesn't help much because it pixellates the name so much. So I'm going with Markhor until an expert who sailed on her says there was difference of some sort.

john g
24th March 2006, 13:57
Mitsui and K line are correct . We took the Mahout off charter in Kobe she had the Mitsui colours on arrival and Brocks when she left. This picture is the Markhor I'm pretty sure , check the position of the name on the bow, Mahout's was futher forward. Good shot of her, shows the massive accomodation which always created comment.....how many passengers do you carry ?..........john g

john g
25th March 2006, 19:09
3rd eng on Mahout, back in late 60's ,spent a lot of time on the Markhor in her early charter days he always refered to her as the flying "K" so I guess that maybe answers the question.As for the picture well maybe I'm wrong it maybe the Mahout but the name position is odd compared to my own and S/N pictures.

CRoger
28th March 2006, 12:44
I sailed on the Markhor as a junior eng when she was painted white and I do recall that she was chartered to Mitsui line after I left sometime in late 60's In the process of rummaging around my slides for publication on here I have come across this slide. Unusually for me I do not know where this was taken or of what ship. Unfortunately a couple of boxes of slides were dropped several years ago and they did not go back in the right order so I cannot narrow the year or place down to where it was in the sequence. The ship is plainly on charter to Mitsui which I know several Brocks ships were in the late 60's and I myself was on the new Mahsud on charter to Mitsui in 1969/70.

I don't know Mahout or Markhor sufficiently well to narrow this down. Were they exact sisters? Was one on charter to Mitsui and not the other?

As a wild guess at the location I would say it is the entrance to Port Philip Bay near Melbourne but that is only because the lighthouse looks vaguely familiar.

Can anyone else help with the detective work?

tanker
28th March 2006, 12:52
Probably she was MARKHOR!
Gp

DerekT
28th April 2006, 18:36
Hi everybody,
This is my first post, hopefully the scanned photo's of Markhor will come out OK, if not will try again. A touch of before and after.
Joined Markhor Nov 66 as apprentice, in her Brocks colours, we did the usual outward bound trip to Calcutta etc, then to the States, from where the vessel was chartered to K line, loaded Corinto, then to Yokohama to discharge and drydock to change colours as can be seen from the photo's. I left the ship Nov 67, when she was back in the states after 11 and a half months of a very happy voyage, would have done another 9 months but the Old Man persuaded me to go for my ticket which was the best thing i suppose.

All the best to everyone

Derek Thomas

R58484956
28th April 2006, 18:46
Welcome Derek to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.Plenty of ex brocks lads on this site.

Robert Stork
14th May 2006, 10:58
Sorry I can't help as to whether it was either the Markhor or Mahout (I sailed on the mahout in 1964 as a Deck Apprentice) but can tell you that it is not Port Phillip Heads - I have taken various vessels thru there many times - but certainly there are similarities to Port Phillip Heads.
Regards
Robert Stork

Derek Roger
14th May 2006, 21:19
I was 5th Eng on the Mahout in 67/68. We Joined in Newport News 10.6.67 when she was in Brock Livery ( see picture in my Gallery ) We drydoicked in Kobe and the vesel was painted white with the Blue band ( first vessel to be so adorned ) Also Funnel was painted Mitsui Red as we were on charter to Mitsui . There is a pic in my galery of her in the White Hull / Mitsui Funnel .
Markor was chartered later to K Line .
The picture posted here shows the Mitsui Funnel therfore I am sure she is Mahout . I later sailed on Markor as 3rd Eng joining in Calcutta Jan 1969 and I cant for the life of me remeber whethere she was on charter to K line then or back in Brock Colors .
Mahsud / Maihar were always in the White Hull Blue stripe.

Marcus Cardew
20th May 2006, 14:03
I was 4/O on Mahout Joined May 69 in Cal, to November 1969, and she was in Brocks Colours then....

Derek Roger
20th May 2006, 14:24
Marcus ;
Thanks ; she must have been in Brock colors in Jan also as I was reli.eved in Dakar in August

Marcus Cardew
20th May 2006, 15:20
Derek,
Hey Ho! August '68, I was sailing as Lamptrimmer on the m/v Media, 'cos I was doing the job, as well as watchkeeping, but lampy's got paid more than 'prentices....

Don A.Macleod
21st May 2006, 00:39
Hi Tony,Just joined tonite so this is a test. Can't say which one it is as I don't remember if the Markhor did an Aussie run with Mitsui though I know the Mahout did because I joined her in Kobe end October 68 and regretfully she came of charter that week and was returned to Brocks,so it was back to Cal. again! Fortunately Maihar and Mahsud were to follow and it was back to Mitsui for the next three years. You were on the Mahsud with me as well as the Matra back in 63/64

Derek Roger
21st May 2006, 01:34
Welcome Don you will find lots of Brocks here >
Derek

R58484956
21st May 2006, 11:39
Welcome Don A to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

michael james
21st May 2006, 18:50
Don MacLeod, thats a name I remember well, both Tony and I were on the good ship Matra with you. Glad you have found your way here. Another Crocodile Club Member surfaces....... (Applause)

Tony Selman
21st May 2006, 19:05
Hi Don, unebelievable site this. I have posted earlier that Mike James was the third person I ever met in the MN well you were the first. I had just clambered up the gangway in Royal Albert Dock and there was someone standing there in a boiler suit who I asked to take me to the Senior R/O. You kindly took me to his cabin but he wasn't there and on the way to the Radio Room we met Mike and Nigel James outside their cabins.

I have very many memories of you. Your cabin on Matra had a big samson post running through the middle of it and I can remember amusing ourselves having cockroach killing contests as they came up from down below by throwing our flip flops at them from your settee as we had a beer.

We also sailed on the Lucigen but I don't think either us had very many good memories from that ship. I think we did 4 voyages together in total.

Check out Michael James and my galleries and you will see quite a lot of Matra stuff from our era. Look forward to many future exchanges and hope you are well.

Don A.Macleod
22nd May 2006, 20:02
Memories Tony/Mike, four decades have been and gone. It's good to see some "old" names that ring a bell as though it were yesterday. I'd forgotten that you were on the Lucigen, you Dave Tracy and I, tempted to getting new experiences and seeing new ports and where did we get to with the first cargo, Cal. and the second one! Not the best of trips 53 breakdowns we had if I remember correctly and of course we were sort of aliens to start with.

The Matra was a good ship and that last trip I did we had the long stay off Colombo and grew beards, Mike is in it and I've still got the Photo.

Anyway it's nice to be on the site and I'm sure there will be plenty to relate to in time but at the moment I'm pushed as we're heading off to Singapore tomorrow and then OZ so it's a bit chaotic at the moment and me sitting at a PC without a care in the world doesn't go down well. Hope to get to know you all again in the near future. Regards to all.

Donald

Tony Selman
22nd May 2006, 21:07
Singapore and Oz eh, well it will be a while before you get back from that little jaunt. Enjoy yourself and we can swing the lamp when you get back.

docgk
29th May 2006, 17:48
Hello Tony and Don - don't suppose you remember me.. 2nd R/O Mahsud 1969/70. ( Graham King). I've just retired, found this site - amazing!
Very best wishes to you both.

Tony Selman
29th May 2006, 18:19
Bloody hell, this site is amazing. I was only thinking about you this morning Graham. Something cropped concerning Mahsud and I forwarded a photo of the radio room and you came into my mind. Couple of photos of Mahsud days in My Gallery if you want to have a look.

Don is currently in Australia but will be back soon. Will send you a Personal Message.

Great to be in touch.

Tony

R58484956
29th May 2006, 19:33
Welcome Graham (Docgk) to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer, plenty of ex brock's people on this site.