s.s.Frontier

jock paul
26th March 2006, 13:13
Can some "historian" help with history of this ship.I was 2E. in her about 1964. Unfortunately my Discharge Book was stolen many years ago, so can't give exact times. I believe she was owned by General Steam navigation as,possibly, s.s.Albatross. Belgian built about 1945,double compound up and downer with cam operated poppet valves.Semi water tube boilers,(scotch boilers with water drums/tubes in the combustion chambers).
Her stokehold was aft of boilers with screen bulkhead between that and engineroom. It was a beautiful plant, never any problems. I have often wondered about her history. If my (failing!) memory seves me she was named
Port Cape town before she was named Frontier.

gdynia
26th March 2006, 14:19
Can some "historian" help with history of this ship.I was 2E. in her about 1964. Unfortunately my Discharge Book was stolen many years ago, so can't give exact times. I believe she was owned by General Steam navigation as,possibly, s.s.Albatross. Belgian built about 1945,double compound up and downer with cam operated poppet valves.Semi water tube boilers,(scotch boilers with water drums/tubes in the combustion chambers).
Her stokehold was aft of boilers with screen bulkhead between that and engineroom. It was a beautiful plant, never any problems. I have often wondered about her history. If my (failing!) memory seves me she was named
Port Cape town before she was named Frontier.

Jock Paul

Hope this helps

1943 WESERSTROM, North German Lloyd, Bremen.
1945 Seized by Allies at Kiel.
1945 EMPIRE GALENA , MOWT
1947 ALBATROSS, General Steam Navigation Co.
1958 PORT CAPETOWN, National Shipping Lines of South Africa.
1959 FRONTIER, African Coasters Ltd, Durban.
1966 FORTUNE, Summit Naigation Co, Hong Kong
1968 Scrapped Hong Kong.

jock paul
26th March 2006, 17:19
hi, Gdynia. Thanks for info.I posted another message to you earlier, but not sure if it got through - I'm still a bit strange with this site. Some of you seem to sit surrounded by old volumes of "Lloyds Register"waiting for people like me to write in asking for obscure information! I will try to get more info. on General Steam web site.

gdynia
26th March 2006, 17:35
Jock Paul

Your PM received Thanks

danube4
25th September 2006, 16:09
Hi Jock, did you find what you wanted about "Frontier", she is is mentioned on this web: www.unicornshipping.co.za/1930.htm
Also ss Margin, when she joined company,and when left com.
Click all dates.
All the best. Barney.

Bruce Carson
25th September 2006, 16:31
Built 1943 by John Cockerill SA, Hoboken, Belgium.

Bruce C

jock paul
25th September 2006, 19:31
My thanks to both of you for the information, will carry on Googling!

treeve
10th July 2007, 00:10
Well, well, well ...
I have just discovered the name of the ship which
called at Newlyn and loaded pilchards for Italy
in the 1950s ....
Turns out it was the SS ALBATROSS, with funnel
marked GSNCo insignia on the photograph.
And lo and behold here she is on SN.
Does anyone know where a better picture can
be found? Google image search is useless these
days, find all manner of images nowt to do
with the search parameters.
Best Wishes, Raymond

jock paul
10th July 2007, 08:12
Well, well, well ...
I have just discovered the name of the ship which
called at Newlyn and loaded pilchards for Italy
in the 1950s ....
Turns out it was the SS ALBATROSS, with funnel
marked GSNCo insignia on the photograph.
And lo and behold here she is on SN.
Does anyone know where a better picture can
be found? Google image search is useless these
days, find all manner of images nowt to do
with the search parameters.
Best Wishes, Raymond

Hi Treeve, go to www.photoship.co.uk

Click on 'Old Ship Pictures'

She is photo 'Albatross -03'

cheers, jock.

treeve
10th July 2007, 10:43
Thanks Jock
Here is the photo I have of her at Newlyn
Courtesy of Cedric Appleby Collection.
Best Wishes, Raymond

R58484956
10th July 2007, 14:36
SS Albatross (Ex Empire Galena-47, Ex Weserstrom-45) 2020 tons Built 1943 by John Cockerill Antwerp. Compound 4 cyl steam engine built by Rheinmetall-Borsig Berlin Tegel. 2 water tube boilers. 287.7 x 44.4 x 15.8. DF,ESD,GyC, Radar. Code flags GJGL, Registered London, British flag. Owned by General Steam Nav; Co Ltd. 1 deck and shelter deck, cruiser stern.
(Details as 1952/3)

treeve
10th July 2007, 15:01
Tnx very much for the details r58

jock paul
11th July 2007, 11:48
SS Albatross (Ex Empire Galena-47, Ex Weserstrom-45) 2020 tons Built 1943 by John Cockerill Antwerp. Compound 4 cyl steam engine built by Rheinmetall-Borsig Berlin Tegel. 2 water tube boilers. 287.7 x 44.4 x 15.8. DF,ESD,GyC, Radar. Code flags GJGL, Registered London, British flag. Owned by General Steam Nav; Co Ltd. 1 deck and shelter deck, cruiser stern.
(Details as 1952/3)

Hi R58, can you tell me where you found this information about her plant, as its more than I have managed to get and I thought I'd tried everywhere?

Regards, jock paul

R58484956
11th July 2007, 13:20
JP Lloyds register. R58