Mahsud on charter to Mitsui

Tony Selman
27th March 2006, 13:26
I have unearthed 3 slides of Mahsud when I was on her in 1969/70 on charter to Mitsui. The first two are quite obviously taken in the Panama Canal and the third is a view looking aft from the top of the radar mast. This will likely only be of interest of Radio Officers as it shows several of the whip aerials that Mahsud operated with. Whopping power on that ship with 1400 watt main transmitter but even then communication was sometimes difficult in the middle of the Pacific.

Ron Stringer
27th March 2006, 14:00
Two comments, Tony.
What was that suspended arrangement with the blocks all about?

and

Crossed the Pacific on a City boat during a round-the-world trip in '62/'63 but was never out of touch with Portisheadradio whenever we needed to contact them. That was with only 60 Watts of Oceanspan II transmitter and the ubiquitous Mercury/Electra receivers. We did have the benefit of tall masts between which were suspended wire antennas with long, near-vertical downleads, running clear of all superstructure/funnel metalwork. That, with the wonderful Area System meant that we never lusted for more power except when trying to raise small coast stations on MF in the tropics. It was suspected though that those communications difficulties arose because no one was listening and no amount of power would solve that problem.

Ron

Tony Selman
27th March 2006, 14:57
Ron, I have no idea what the suspended arrangement is. It is nothing to do with radio communications I am sure of that and can remember nothing about it's use. I think we need a deck officer to study and answer that as I presume it is something to do with the cranes and/or cargo handling.

By that time the area scheme had, of course, disappeared and even though Portishead had a special listening period for ships in the Pacific we were on occasion very hard pressed to get stuff through. When we struggled the one great advantage was the company GWZM skeds because we had no problem getting in touch with other ships (usually in the Atlantic) and they could forward the message/s for us. All the aerials, except the emergency which was wire, were whips on that ship and although I could never prove it technically I always felt that a mixture of wire and whips was best so you could mix and match as required. A good wire aerial erected well away from the superstructure took some beating.

japottinger
27th March 2006, 15:14
All the blocks and ouriggers were part of the Hallen mast/derrick rigging arrangement.
This, to me an awfully complicated rig, allowed the single centrally mounted derrick to swing outboard and plumb overside instead of two derricks rigged with a union purchase, in fact it acted as a derrick crane so to speak. She laso had electric cranes

Tony Selman
4th April 2006, 19:10
This was without doubt the best equipped Radio Room I ever sailed with in Brock's. Some pretty powerful kit in there. It was taken in late 1969. A singular move upwards from some of the kit on the Matra/Mahseer class that's for sure.

I am trying to find some more of radio rooms but oddly enough I don't think I took that many.