E-Mail Scam

mcgurggle
28th March 2006, 07:38
I got this yesterday...

?uromillones lotería International
C/CARRACA Nº 23, EDIFICO 4B
CP 28OO4 MADRID SPAIN.
TEL/FAX: + 34 -606-676-062.

INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD DEPT.

REF NO: EGS/2551256003/04
BACH NO: 14/0017/IPD DATE :27. 03.2006

ATTENTION: EGS/2551256003/04

RE: AWARD NOTIFICATION, FINAL NOTICE.

We are pleased to infom you of the results of the ONCE SWEEPSTAKE LOTTERY / INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM held on the 15th MARCH, 2006

Your e-mail attached to ticket number 025 - 11464992 -750 with serial number 2113 - 05 drew the lucky numbers 4 - 18 - 24 - 30 - 31 - 35 which consequently won the lottery in 3RD category.
You have therefore being approved for a lump sum payout of ? 715,810.00 (SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTEEN THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND TEN EUROS ONLY) in cash credited to file REFNO: EGS/2551256003/04. This is from a total cash prize of ? 9,368,770.00 (NINE MILLION THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY EIGHT THOUSAND, SEVEN HUNDRED AND SEVENTY EUROS ONLY) shared among the seventeen international winners in this category. Congratulations!!!!

Your fund is now deposited with a security company insured to your name. Due to mixed up of some numbers and names,we ask that you keep this award from public notice until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to your designated account as this is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming of this program by participants. . All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from 25,000 names from Asia, Australia,MiddleEast kuwait, New Zealand, Europe and America as part of our international promotions program which we conduct once every year. We hope that with a part of your prize, you can take part in our end of year highstake worth US$ 1.3 billion US dollar international lottery.
To begin your claim please contact FRANK HOWARD foreign services manager WINTERTHUR SEGURO Tel: + 34 636-332-461. E-mail wintersegus@netscape.net for processing and remmittance of your prize to a designated account of your choice.

Remember, all prize money must be claimd before 30TH APRIL 2006. After this date all funds will be returned to the MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA Y HACIENDA as unclaimed.

NOTE: In order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications, please remember to quote your reference and bach numbers in every corresepondence with us or your agent. Furthermore, shall there be any change of your address, please inform your agent WINTERTHUR SEGURO S.L..

Congratultions from all members and staff and thank you for being a part of our promotions program.

YOURS FAITHFULLY
IMMANUEL DEGALDO

Beware, this is a scam designd to get your Bank details & personal information. The Spanish Police are aware but more & more people are getting them daily.
You have been warned.... (Whaaa)
McG

Coastie
28th March 2006, 07:46
Will keep my eyes peeled McG, thanks.

Frank P
28th March 2006, 08:17
That is one reason why people should not put their email address in an open forum for everybody to see,

Frank

Jeffers
28th March 2006, 08:27
There are quite a few of this type of scam around, I've had a couple from a site in the Netherlands.
I don't see how people can really believe that they've won a huge prize in a lottery they haven't even entered, but I suppose some people must fall for it, otherwise these sites wouldn't exist. You can always rely on human greed, I suppose.
Basically, if it sounds too good to be true, it's a lie!

gdynia
28th March 2006, 08:36
There are quite a few of this type of scam around, I've had a couple from a site in the Netherlands.
I don't see how people can really believe that they've won a huge prize in a lottery they haven't even entered, but I suppose some people must fall for it, otherwise these sites wouldn't exist. You can always rely on human greed, I suppose.
Basically, if it sounds too good to be true, it's a lie!

Jeffers
This Dutch one has been a point of discussion here onboard due to the Marine crew being mainly from there.Not only have they been notified by email but now are receiving phone calls. Apparently alot of retired people fell for the scam and had all their life savings taken. As you quite rightly say human greed plays abig part of it yet on the other hand how can police forces across Europe allow it to continue when there so aware of it. No doubt red tape or some other valid excuse.

R651400
28th March 2006, 09:29
Through my association with the search for "Glenfalloch" my email address is readily available on the net.
Anyone after the countless warnings over the years, opens an unknown attachment or replies to a lottery win, has really got to be both extremely gullible and asking to be ripped off!
Spam and other crap emails are no problem using Mailwasher.
I think I run a tight ship on my PC and after going down the symantec road with it's ott protection, I have gone for three basic freebies.

AVG anti-virus http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Zone-alarm firewall http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=home_freedownloads

Mailwasher spam protection http://www.mailwasher.net/

Anti spy and trojan protection is my only real outlay and for that I use Bulletproof.

To keep my PC in trim, getting rid of all the extraneous internet crap that comes in with browsing, I thoroughly recommend another freebie, Cleanup http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Try any or all those, you won't be disappointed.

Malcolm

gdynia
28th March 2006, 10:08
Through my association with the search for "Glenfalloch" my email address is readily available on the net.
Anyone after the countless warnings over the years, opens an unknown attachment or replies to a lottery win, has really got to be both extremely gullible and asking to be ripped off!
Spam and other crap emails are no problem using Mailwasher.
I think I run a tight ship on my PC and after going down the symantec road with it's ott protection, I have gone for three basic freebies.

AVG anti-virus http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Zone-alarm firewall http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/trial_zaFamily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=home_freedownloads

Mailwasher spam protection http://www.mailwasher.net/

Anti spy and trojan protection is my only real outlay and for that I use Bulletproof.

To keep my PC in trim, getting rid of all the extraneous internet crap that comes in with browsing, I thoroughly recommend another freebie, Cleanup http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Try any or all those, you won't be disappointed.

Malcolm

Malc
Whats that strange Avitar you have (Applause) (Applause) (Applause)

R651400
28th March 2006, 10:13
Malc
Whats that strange Avitar you have (Applause) (Applause) (Applause) Want one?

gdynia
28th March 2006, 10:19
Want one?
Malc

Its on my Football Shirt but thanks for offer

ruud
28th March 2006, 10:22
Ahoy,

I'm using from the beginning AVG,as mentioned by Malcolm, and it's very satisfying,also using from time to time Hitman Pro 2[ http://www.hitmanpro.nl/ ] in which are several "cleaners" as AdAware,Spybot Search&Destroy,Spy Sweeper,and lots more, unfortunately not yet in English/German, but only in Dutch, but you don't need to do anything just download and it start/clean at his own.
And to keep my PC in good shape, I'm using Tune Up utilities 2006, a very good and easy daily control; [ http://www.tune-up.com/ ]
My main virus protector is Antivir, and works extremely well.[ http://www.free-av.com/ ]

R651400
28th March 2006, 10:43
Ahoy Ruud,

Thought I would pass on to members the freebies that are available.
No comment please on my being Scottish..
Companies such as AVG and Zonealarm, happy to give free as well as pay for protection have got to be worth their salt.

Malcolm

ruud
28th March 2006, 11:04
Ahoy Malcolm,

As a good Dutch, we're almost close to the Scottish identity,but fortunately not that much;(*)) [parsimoniously but not greedy] All my used programs are "cracked", it's my "sport" to get them for free, and it keeps my wallet closed.(Applause) I know what others may think, but to keep your PC/Internet up to date, you have to be "tricky", otherwise you'll be empty by the end of each month.

gdynia
28th March 2006, 11:10
Ahoy Malcolm,

As a good Dutch, we're almost close to the Scottish identity,but fortunately not that much;(*)) [parsimoniously but not greedy] All my used programs are "cracked", it's my "sport" to get them for free, and it keeps my wallet closed.(Applause) I know what others may think, but to keep your PC/Internet up to date, you have to be "tricky", otherwise you'll be empty by the end of each month.
Ruud

empty wallets we call it the Wife(Hope she does not read this one) (Thumb)

ruud
28th March 2006, 11:31
Ruud

empty wallets we call it the Wife(Hope she does not read this one) (Thumb)
Ahoy Nev,

For sure yours, now, will be empty by the end of the month.(A)

nzmatt
28th March 2006, 11:37
lo, i wouldnt even touch those scams.here we sometimes get sales ppl ant door for phone companys and power i just say no thanks because you never know what they would do.

gdynia
28th March 2006, 11:38
Ahoy Nev,

For sure yours, now, will be empty by the end of the month.(A)
I was going to say should of wrote in Dutch but she speaks that as well.

mcgurggle
28th March 2006, 11:57
Getting back to the point...the e-mail I recieved was NOT a virus, it was a 'genuine' e-mail. (*)) It just wasnt true ! If YOU know any computer newbees of ANY age, please make these scams known to them. If you subscribe to any other forums, make it known there. Keep the internet clean...I mean...you wouldnt take a s**t when the ship was in drydock ? So dont let anyone else do it.. (Thumb)
McG (*))

R651400
28th March 2006, 13:07
Agreed McG, yet no matter how hard you try, one thing you cannot block is the temptation to reply to such an email.
Recent Watchdog prog on TV showing the poor suckers that did is warning enough.
I once made the ridiculous mistake of replying to the ubiquitous, "I'll make you a millionaire dear friend from the Reverend Solomon Ugugu from Nigeria,"
My message.."Eff off!"
Believe me, it took me ages afterwards to convince him I meant it!

hawkey01
28th March 2006, 13:36
Well I may as well have my few words on this subject.
Firstly I agree whole heartedly with Malcolm that you must be your own
policeman and keep your PC clean. Use good software and you should not have any problems.
Secondly how can anyone believe that they have won a lottery or similar from a country which they have not been to or purchased a ticket. Scams are active in all sorts environments including banking and of course the Nigerian ones. Just do not open any of them.
I use a variety of software some free and some I have purchased. AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL is free for, as it says personal use.
EZ ANTIVIRUS which I had free for the first year and now have paid a subscription but it is worth every penny.
For spams I have QURB which again I purchased and it will not allow anything that is not in your address book to show. It quarantines everything else. You just check and if you want anything from it you adjust your address book accordingly.
My anti-virus runs at all times and it will tell you to shut down and reboot if anything dangerous is found when web searching.
I feel better now.
Regards to all
Hawkey01 (Night)

mcgurggle
28th March 2006, 14:06
Get Zone Alarm Security Suite & Windows Defender. This is all you need. All malicious email, software, spyware, virus etc are covered by them. I have been building, upgrading Virus zapping PCs for 15 years now & recently all I install on any computer I build are these two programmes. Windows Defender is free on the microsoft downloads page & I have a "Corporate"( (*)) Rudd!!) version of Zone Alarm which is installed on all my projects. If you have too many Anti-spyware-virus-trojan programmes running, they can see each other as a virus, cos in fact thats what most of them are,...Friendly Virii !
Usually common sense is the best virus control. Example---You get a pop-up & there is a "Close" button or a little X in the corner. You click either, & what you are saying to your firewall is ,.... "Let this chap in through port# 1234567, & let him access all your info !!!!!
What I do is, press 'Alt' & F4....This closes the upmost item (in this case the pop up) & you dont HAVE to click anything.
There are hundreds of ways to avoid malware but we will ALL get caught & its something we all have to live with. (EEK)
The BEST thing to do if you get infected is shut down the computer & dont panic! See an expert, there is usually a virus expert in all computer shops. Its usually about £40 to get your computer treated, but worth it.
ALSO dont believe ALL you hear, remember the Millenium Bug???
McG (Thumb)

lakercapt
28th March 2006, 15:38
There are more scams out there than flies on a s**t heap and they come in many guises.
A few weeks ago I got one that was supposed to be from my bank (Royal Bank of Canada).
Looked very real but asked me for confirmation of my access code etc to verify I was right person.
Gave them so crazy answers and were accepted so it was not correct.
Informed bank security and they found that many customers had received the same e-mail.
WARNING
NEVER GIVE PERSONAL INFO TO ANYONE.
EVEN ON THE PHONE.

John Rogers
28th March 2006, 16:02
For those of you that surf the net here are some tips to keep your PC clear of tracking cookies and trojans. I do it every night after I am finished with my PC.

By optimizing Internet Explorer, you can clear old files and settings that may be causing conflicts and may be preventing you from connecting to the Internet. Follow these steps.
1. In Internet Explorer, click on TOOLS, then INTERNET OPTIONS,
2. Click on the GENERAL TAB
3. Under TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES, click on DELETE FILES.
4. Click to select the DELETE ALL OFFLINE CONTENT then click on OK
5.Click on DELETE COOKIES, when you are prompted to confirm this selection, click OK.
6. Click Setting
7.Click View Objects
8.Click view, and then click Details.
9. If the word DAMAGED appears in the status column for any program file, remove that program file by Right Clicking it then select REMOVE.
10 Close the Downloaded program file dialog box.
11.In the settings dialog box. Click OK.
12. Under history, click Clear history, and then click YES when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
13. In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.

Note: By deleting cookies you may have to log back in on your favorite sites, but at least you have got rid of a lot of cookies you don’t need on your computer. All of these steps takes about a minute. Go through the steps first just to see how its done then go in and do what ever you have to do to clean up.

John

mcgurggle
28th March 2006, 16:56
(Thumb) Good one John. (Thumb)
By the way, this also stops the wife knowing where you've been !! (*)) LOL
McG

John Rogers
28th March 2006, 17:37
But of course.
John

R651400
29th March 2006, 08:28
Each and everyone has his own personal choice in protecting his or her pc.
John above refers to Internet Explorer which of course is a favourite hunting ground for cyber spies, looking for personal details and dumping nasties on you like trojans.
Personally I wouldn't touch IE with a barge-pole and use Mozilla Firefox, in my humble opinion, offering far greater control and protection. http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#mozvsie
My reply to McG's original was to point out there is as much rip-off in the PC protection world as there is scam and spam, and a little bit of knowledge can save you quite a few shekels.
Regards,
Malcolm

Jeffers
29th March 2006, 18:13
I'm also a Firefox user, I find that it's much better and safer than Microsofts Internet Explorer.