Hms Tiger

Fairfield
18th August 2004, 11:26
Originally to have been BELLEROPHON construction was started at the Clydebank yard of John Brown & Co in the latter stages of WW II but she was not completed until 1959.
In later years she was converted to a helicopter carrier.This photo was taken at Portsmouth in 1976.

Bob S
24th November 2004, 15:45
The “Tiger” class cruiser HMS TIGER also seen at Portsmouth Navy days during August 1976 and awaiting disposal at Portsmouth during August 1982 with the carrier HMS BULWARK in the background.

rms
17th July 2005, 08:50
This photo was taken from the warf at St Helena where i lived as a child. The ship in the background i think is HMS Tiger

Duncan Robinson
17th July 2005, 20:09
I would say almost certainly that the picture is HMS Blake. (Tiger Class)

mick Wright
2nd October 2005, 16:40
I am looking for pictures and history of the following HMS Ranpura,HMS Montclare and RFA Black Ranger,these are from an old seadog friend of mine.

Mick Wright

Pat McCardle
3rd October 2005, 15:36
I thought the ships of that design were BLAKE class?

R736476
3rd October 2005, 15:52
Pat,
Janes Fighting Ships listed Tiger, Lion & Blake as "Tiger" Class although they started life as the Second Group of the Minotaur Class before construction was suspended in 1946. Quite a bit of name changing went on - Tiger (ex Bellerophon), Lion (ex Defence) and Blake (ex Tiger, ex Blake) !!!
Regards
Alex

william dillon
3rd October 2005, 21:57
You lost me !!!!!!!!!

Doug Rogers
4th October 2005, 05:59
There were quite a number of naval vessels that were in process of building at the end of WW2, a fair number had construction suspended, some for years, and there were quite significant numbers that when they were finally completed that had not only changed their Class but also their names.

tigerc20
17th January 2010, 15:04
This photo was taken from the warf at St Helena where i lived as a child. The ship in the background i think is HMS Tiger

hi, HMS Blake was the first to be converted to a helicopter cruiser as so she had her original short funnels and had her main mast painted black .When HMS Tiger was converted she had taller funnels made so her main mast was left gray then HMS Blakes funnels were made taller but her main mast was left black and thats how i can tell them apart.(Thumb)

Lancastrian
17th January 2010, 16:42
I am looking for pictures and history of the following HMS Ranpura,HMS Montclare and RFA Black Ranger,these are from an old seadog friend of mine.
Mick Wright

You may be in the wrong thread. Lots of Black Ranger HERE (http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=123)and a distant view of Ranpura HERE (http://www.rfaaplymouth.org/talhandaq/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=2). A search of the SN Gallery will produce more.
A Google search will also bear fruit.

chadburn
17th January 2010, 17:22
There were quite a number of naval vessels that were in process of building at the end of WW2, a fair number had construction suspended, some for years, and there were quite significant numbers that when they were finally completed that had not only changed their Class but also their names.

Doug, the Navy were lucky at least due to the Cold War construction re-started although most were re-configured and as you say re-classed, when it came to the RAF brand new aircraft went from the maker's straight into the scrappy to get aluminium back into the civilian market, my old man use to buy brand new Halifax wings from the MU outside York and scrap them along with complete Halifax's from various MU's in Yorkshire.

Seaweed
6th March 2010, 15:58
See http://hms-tiger.co.uk/

and

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/wiki2/index.php/1._HMS_Tiger_-_On_the_Red_Clyde and subsequent chapters regarding her first commission.

billcummins
12th February 2011, 12:49

Do you have a rough idea of what year this was taken please....?

tstoneman
16th February 2011, 20:54
The photo in post #3 shows HMS BLAKE, as clarified by tigerC20 above. She visited St Helena on 15 March 1970.

tomo chef
28th April 2011, 23:05
From Tomo Chef.
I believe the ship to be HMS BLAKE we called in to visit late March 1970 and we were there for nearly five days I was a chef on her at the time in the main galley.

cee dee
6th May 2011, 06:23
Hi all I was aboard for the 64 - 65 trip. Started off living on Belfast and when we embarked Tiger I was one of the lucky ones to get (and keep) one of the dunlopillow mattresses. I was in 2DA seamans mess and I think I remember Fez Parker. I certainly remember "shellshock" Nigel the young junior seaman who went out the forward hatch just as A turret fired! I Have some great memories of that ship. If anyone recognizes my name I would love to hear from you.

Malky Glaister
6th May 2011, 06:59
Wasn't Tiger involved with PM Wilson and Mr Smith of Rhodesian UDI fame?

Regards Malky

cee dee
7th May 2011, 19:08
Yes, not sur of the date though. Certainly after my time.

Jim S
7th May 2011, 20:24
HMS Tiger hosted the meeting between Prime Minister Harold Wilson and Rhodesia's leader Ian Smith in December 1966.
The negotiating parties joined Tiger off Gibraltar on 1st December. Tiger cruised in the Mediterranean during the discussions returning on 3rd December.
Return to Devonport was on 9th December. On 19th December 1966 Tiger decommissioned to await conversion to a helicopter command cruiser.

Chris Kirk
26th April 2013, 18:31
Hi all I was aboard for the 64 - 65 trip. Started off living on Belfast and when we embarked Tiger I was one of the lucky ones to get (and keep) one of the dunlopillow mattresses. I was in 2DA seamans mess and I think I remember Fez Parker. I certainly remember "shellshock" Nigel the young junior seaman who went out the forward hatch just as A turret fired! I Have some great memories of that ship. If anyone recognizes my name I would love to hear from you.

I joined probably around the same time straight from Ganges and a junior stoker. We stayed onboard Belfast while Tiger was in refit, our first trip was to Portland for work up followed by a cruise around South America. Some great memories there alright particularly in Valps and Rio.(*))

bert-261
14th November 2013, 16:37
With respect to tomo chef in post #16 above, I was also on Blake at the time, and we only spent a day anchored off of St Helena. The reason I remember it so well, is that we anchored off of Ascension Island a couple of days previously and those that got ashore had a whale of a time on the local hooch. Several ratings even having to be shipped back onboard strapped in Nielsen stretchers. The watches that didn't get ashore in Ascension, got a run ashore on St Helena. What a green rub that was, as we were there on a Sunday. The only thing open was the local church. Not so much as a cup of tea to be had, let alone a beer. Bert 261.

Chris Kirk
14th November 2013, 16:57
With respect to tomo chef in post #16 above, I was also on Blake at the time, and we only spent a day anchored off of St Helena. The reason I remember it so well, is that we anchored off of Ascension Island a couple of days previously and those that got ashore had a whale of a time on the local hooch. Several ratings even having to be shipped back onboard strapped in Nielsen stretchers. The watches that didn't get ashore in Ascension, got a run ashore on St Helena. What a green rub that was, as we were there on a Sunday. The only thing open was the local church. Not so much as a cup of tea to be had, let alone a beer. Bert 261.

Bert - along with a blessing, what a friend we have in Jesus.