QE2 to visit Tyne

Jeff Egan
28th March 2006, 16:52
My local paper has an article in today saying the QE2 is to make her first ever visit to the Tyne on Sunday 16th September 2007, this is part of a 40th anniversary round Britain trip. The QE2 will also visit Edinburgh, Liverpool and Glasgow.

James_C
28th March 2006, 17:38
She's 'been' there before, hasn't she Jeff? However, as I recall she merely dropped the pick off the piers, and everyone was ferried ashore.
This cruise is apparently a round Britain effort to celebrate 40 years since her launching, and she will indeed return to the Clyde.
If she properly berths this time, the only place I can think of as being suitable would be over beside the marina at North Shields (I forget the proper name), but is it deep enough?

Jeff Egan
28th March 2006, 18:28
James if I remember rightly she was going to drop the pick and put passengers ashore but on the day the weather was no good and she sailed past, but did come in close enough for the crowds that gathered, I, not sure of her draft, if TCQ on the northside isnt deep enough then they may put her alongside Riverside Quay at Tyne dock or what was the Tyne Coal Terminal in the days of coal, I'm five years out of date now and time moves on.

wa002f0328
28th March 2006, 18:33
yes it is true Jeff, she came up here a number of years ago,I went down the seafront to try for some pics but it was bad weather, and foggy, she never entered the Tyne, she lay off for a while and left, think she went to germany but can,t say for sure, dont know if anyone came ashore

billyboy
29th March 2006, 01:03
Interestig. I do realise that you are retired now Jeff, but, how would you feel about bringing her in docking her?. i ask purely out of interest mate as she is so big and needs so much water under her. Must be a pilots nightmare i would think, especialy with the half the country watching you.

Tony Crompton
29th March 2006, 08:44
i ask purely out of interest mate as she is so big and needs so much water under her. Must be a pilots nightmare i would think, .

Big powerfull twin screws, enormous bow thrusts powerfull enough to berth in most conditions (essential to maintain a tight schedule) I would suggest is a Pilot's dream. Why do you think she requires "so much water under her"?

A pilots "Nightmare",if such a thing exists, is a 200,000 d.w. bulker or tanker,
often grossly umderpowered, single screw, no thrusters, and regularly handled with less than a meter under them at 57 feet draft. ( Done it many times!! )
-------------------------------------
Tony C

pilot
29th March 2006, 08:57
A pilots "Nightmare",if such a thing exists, is a 200,000 d.w. bulker or tanker,
often grossly umderpowered, single screw, no thrusters, and regularly handled with less than a meter under them at 57 feet draft. ( Done it many times!! )
-------------------------------------

Pilots "Nighmare" has to be going back to sea and working for a living surely? The Good Old Days are long gone.

Tony D
29th March 2006, 10:49
One thing for shure she won't be at the Newcastke quayside, that bloody stupid origami modern arty farty poxy huggy fluff millenium foot bridge effectivly blocks the river now.
:@

Jeff Egan
29th March 2006, 11:05
billyboy have you seen some of the "Things" that have arrived off the Tyne with no engines to be fitted out as floating platforms, now some of them were a nightmare, Once you mention main engines and thrusts most problems just go away. I think the main problem with QE2 in the Tyne will be swinging her as the river is a lot narrower than say Southampton a bit like doing a three point turn in a back lane compared to a highway. On the Tyne we did what ever turned up, once you had the turn you did the next ship, whatever the ship.

macjack
29th March 2006, 17:38
Jeff,
How about you bring her down here to Newhaven? you would be assured a great welcome, as its rather quiet now, probably similar to the Tyne. I remember the Tyne with great affection, Smiths dockyard with the Phoenix Pub at the gate, Swans, the Hood Haggie LADIES. As ex BTC/BP. Sadly all I guess no more.
The reason for this suggestion was you mentioned swinging akin to three point turn - no problem for you here at Newhaven, stacks of room, see attached photo, I'll stand in Marina, port side of photo, and assist you with hand signals.
I'll have a word with Cunard, oops Carnival about this, reckon you can do it? the money will be good, grub and pilots cabin superb more like a suite, family invited.
Regards,
Mac.

Jeff Egan
29th March 2006, 17:42
I like it, it's just about then that the mate on the fo'cle shouts better come astern Pilot just as the 2nd mate down aft shouts give her a shot ahead. And the Pilot thinks Mmmmm, better do nothing then.

Jeff Egan
29th March 2006, 19:37
I've just found out the QE2 is 294 metres LOA and the swinging area in the Tyne was 360 metres, it's a little bit bigger now since the Nissan berths were built but still tight. The draft at 32.5 feet should not be a problem, hey but I'm 5 years out of date so nothing is a problem.

Chief Engineer's Daughter
29th March 2006, 20:37
One thing for shure she won't be at the Newcastke quayside, that bloody stupid origami modern arty farty poxy huggy fluff millenium foot bridge effectivly blocks the river now.
:@

Er don't hold back Tony! I haven't been to Shields for 5 years now so like Jeff am 5 years out of date!
Jeff if she does actually get into the Tyne this time round be sure to get some piccies, please.

macjack
29th March 2006, 20:44
Jeff,
Great News, sounds as though you are up for it!!! I'm sure Billyboy, Meechingman, Andy,and I, will be behind you, with that sort of backing you cannot fail - maybe, could be, Newhaven will become her home port - we desperately need some sort of support. I have spoken to the HM who can offer you a prime berth at present occupied by the most modern sophisticated vessel you have ever seen, Newhavens secret, the " RINGACOLTIG " Photo attached, Sadly Tug Meeching no longer available, however have good contacts with Lifeboat and pilot boat should you require, in the most unlikely situation of requiring help, be available at your beck and call.
Give the word and its FAOP.
Regards,
Mac.

wa002f0328
29th March 2006, 21:57
Jeff,
What about taking her into the Fish Quay, I am sure you can do that, slide her into the Gut, she will not even need tugs she has the ability to turn on a sixpence, go for it, you can do it

billyboy
30th March 2006, 00:39
welll, that seems to have raised a few comments... LOl
Tony, Point taken mate, she has the power! as for the vlcc's.. I would hate to be responsible for berthing one of those. credit where its due, the pilots earn their corn.
My origional thoughts about handling the QE2 were of the nature of tide and windage in confined spaces. those of us who tried the "docking of the cruise ship game" soon discovered its not quite as easy as it looks.
As for Newhaven!!!...LOl God... all them anoraks and brownie box cameras cluttering the place up ha ha ha. (cant be a lot of water there at low tide I know!)
I do however seem to recall a Captain of the "Queen Mary" docking her in southampton in grand style, in a wind, with no tugs in attendance (due to a strike by tugmen). Whilst he did an excellent job of it, it must have been a wee bit nerve racking, if not for him his deck officers.
As for Jeff docking the QE2 at newhaven.... He did a bit of time on a virtual ship recently...reckon he could get her in stern first through fog, And miss the east pier!!
Brown ales are on me Jeff!!!

Jeff Egan
30th March 2006, 13:18
Mmmmmm, what do you think I am gods gift to shipping, I think not, I'll stand on the Groyne and keep my fingers crossed with my camera in hand no doubt all the north eastern members will be out snapping away. I think the mud would stop the QE2 berthing at the fish quay wa002 but it would certainly make a good picture with the captain shouting down "Make that two boxes of Haddock".

Jeff Egan
30th March 2006, 17:10
Further to the Visit of QE2 my local paper reports that it will berth in North Shields so the best pictures of her alongside will be from the Mill Dam/Harton staiths area of South Shields, she will be doing an overnight stay sailing on the 17th Septenber.
In the same edition it is reported that the King of Scandinavia returning from Holland to the Tyne had six fires in three different locations overnight, the fires seem to have been small as most passengers were unaware of them. The passengers were held onboard for two hours after the ship arrived. There are some very silly people out there.

Jeff Egan
31st March 2006, 16:47
Tony just noticed your comments about the new bridge at Newcastle, the blinking eye bridge. Have you noticed the piles either side to prevent a ship hitting the bridge if it was to get out of position? The designer of the bridge was up in arms when the then Harbourmaster insisted on them, he said they looked ugly, but I think they had to be added for safety reasons. The harbourmaster at the time was called Gary and from that day onwards they were known on the river as "Gary's piles" Just out of interest the QE2 could never get as far as Newcastle Quay but Frigates which can be up to about 460ft do go under the blinking eye bridge and at least one way stern first.