Sigsilver

Ian Menzies
29th March 2006, 05:08
[FONT=Arial]Back in 1978 I sailed on a strange looking bulk carrier called the Iron Sirius. I would like to hear from anyone who sailed on this vesel in her previous life as Sigsilver/Chelsea Bridge, particularly on the Pepel (Freetown) ~ Japan voyages.

martin osborne
27th April 2007, 00:52
Hello,
I sailed in Sigsilver from December 1969 to August 1970 as Deck Cadet. During that time we were taking iron ore from Lourenco Marques (as it then was) to Japan - one month each way. Loading 60k tonnes alongside in L.M. and the remaining 30k outside at anchor by converted small bulker , Sigbarge.
this was done in two goes 15k at a time.
The ship was still quite new and relatively advanced, apart from the bridge wings being set well inside the ship's sides. Deballasting was always a major problem . I recall that there had been a nasty accident involving the deaths of 2 engineers in the duct keel. This would have been a year or so before I joined.
Unfortunately I don't have any photographs of the ship.
Regards,
Martin

exsailor
27th April 2007, 13:15
Ian and Martin,
Photo of 'Sigsilver' at http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2582
Regards, Dennis

Hague
28th April 2007, 11:23
Hello,
I sailed in Sigsilver from December 1969 to August 1970 as Deck Cadet. During that time we were taking iron ore from Lourenco Marques (as it then was) to Japan - one month each way. Loading 60k tonnes alongside in L.M. and the remaining 30k outside at anchor by converted small bulker , Sigbarge.
this was done in two goes 15k at a time.
The ship was still quite new and relatively advanced, apart from the bridge wings being set well inside the ship's sides. Deballasting was always a major problem . I recall that there had been a nasty accident involving the deaths of 2 engineers in the duct keel. This would have been a year or so before I joined.
Unfortunately I don't have any photographs of the ship.
Regards,
Martin

Can you remember the Second Mates name???

BEDDY
29th April 2007, 17:23
Here is another shot of "SIGSILVER"

mverrills
30th April 2007, 13:55
I have an old mate who was shipwright on the BHP Iron Sirius by the name of Ray Gasgoine - top bloke still working today on a fishing trawler out of Sydney - the Lisa Anne, at the age of 78.
Ray would call the Sirius the themolderhyde(spelling) ship

trotterdotpom
30th April 2007, 14:13
I have an old mate who was shipwright on the BHP Iron Sirius by the name of Ray Gasgoine - top bloke still working today on a fishing trawler out of Sydney - the Lisa Anne, at the age of 78.
Ray would call the Sirius the themolderhyde(spelling) ship

Ray was on the Iron Thalidomide when I was there as RO in the mid '80s, during the reign of Tom Terrific. Good to hear he's still hard at it - is he still making the ships in bottles? He may not remember me as he was there that long I suppose he saw them all come and saw them all go, but pass my regards anyway when you can.

John Trotter.

martin osborne
30th April 2007, 23:17
second mate was Tom Wright, I think and ch.Off. Duncan Cormack. Chief Engineer Matty Jack. Can't remember any more names at the the moment.

Hague
30th April 2007, 23:45
second mate was Tom Wright, I think and ch.Off. Duncan Cormack. Chief Engineer Matty Jack. Can't remember any more names at the the moment.

Johnny Walker the Master????

mverrills
1st May 2007, 13:50
John,
Ray still does the most amazing ships in bottles,my young bloke was given one on his birth 13 years ago.
He also has quite a large scrimshaw collection.
Great bloke to have a beer and a rum with.
His always saying "If in doubt, call the chippy out"
I will be seeing him next week,so i will pass on your regards.
Mark.

martin osborne
2nd May 2007, 20:53
Johnny Walker the Master????

From my D.B. I see the Master was J.Whitelaw. Johnny Walker wasn't there at that time. I sailed with him in '73 on Silverdon .

Hague
2nd May 2007, 21:54
I was mate with Johnny Walker on Cherrywood

Ian Menzies
3rd May 2007, 02:19
Thanks for all of the above info. As a cadet on this ship, stuck on the Hedland iron ore shuttle, Pepel to Kawasaki sounded pretty exotic. Mark, please say hullo to Ray for me. He was a good bloke and I learnt a lot from him. Beddy, thanks for posting that photo. I still have at home an original 'Sigsilver' cup and saucer with the Bergesen logo on it. Fine porcelain, so I guess they thought she wouldn't roll!

Ian

andysk
24th May 2007, 15:01
....... Loading 60k tonnes alongside in L.M. and the remaining 30k outside at anchor by converted small bulker, Sigbarge, this was done in two goes 15k at a time..............

This brings back some memories, somewhere I have a poor slide of SIGBARGE at LM, and I have often wondered about it. For her details take a look at the Miramar index, ID 5272347.

She was built as DOVREFJELL in 1943 and scrapped at Gadani Beach in Dec 1983.

Cheers

Andy

Hague
24th May 2007, 20:31
Anyone know if Johnny Walker is still around?

Paul J Burke
25th May 2007, 09:00
Iron Sirius must have been a Pilots nightmare alright, esp when coming alongside, how on earth would he line the berth up??? what happened to the accomodation block, and what was the accomodation like??? looks like the original owners "skimped"on accomodation??? the last time i saw Iron Sirius was when she layed alongside Iron Somersby at Geelong in the early 80s,both were eventually sold or went back to the original owners.

BEDDY
1st June 2007, 20:56
Here is a pic of the sister Sigwaldo

Ian Menzies
4th June 2007, 06:28
Thanks Beddy!

The accommodation was quite stylish for a ship of that age. During berthing, the Mate would come down from the bridge and advise the Master and Pilot the distance from the wharf.
cheers,
ian

keithnelly9
12th June 2007, 18:11
my brother Tom Wright was 3 mate on the Sigsilver & 2 mate

keithnelly9
23rd June 2007, 19:59

my brother tom wright was 2 mate on sigsilver
from 22/12/69 to 4/6/70

martin osborne
8th October 2007, 00:54
I joined sigsilver with Tom along with Ch/stwd and jun. eng in December '69. Sailed with him again Silvercove 74/75' ish.