Old Blue Flue Mates

Pages : [1] 2

EBenarty
29th March 2006, 21:00
Does anyone remember George or Willie Wood and Jim Geddie from the Buckie area

DURANGO
30th March 2006, 14:46
hello there shimate i sailed in 4 blueys in my 12 years at sea on deck AGAPENOR PERSEUS ANTILOCHUS PYRRHUS none of the names you mention ring the old bell but one for you do you remember[ albert lane ]the old man on the pyrrhus fair weather mate DURANGO

Phil Saul
30th March 2006, 21:06
hello there shimate i sailed in 4 blueys in my 12 years at sea on deck AGAPENOR PERSEUS ANTILOCHUS PYRRHUS none of the names you mention ring the old bell but one for you do you remember[ albert lane ]the old man on the pyrrhus fair weather mate DURANGO

I sailed with Albert(Bronco)Lane my first trip on the Peleus '64 and 3 trips on the Pyrrhus '68/69.
He was certainly one for watching the pennies.

Regards Phil Saul (Thumb)

DURANGO
8th June 2006, 00:00
I sailed with Albert(Bronco)Lane my first trip on the Peleus '64 and 3 trips on the Pyrrhus '68/69.
He was certainly one for watching the pennies.

Regards Phil Saul (Thumb)
when i ws on the pyrrhus the bosun was the called the gaul i beleive he used to drive coaches when he was on leave anyone remember him

Samsette
8th June 2006, 01:53
The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

Could this be the same bosun that graced the decks of Pyrrhus?

DURANGO
14th June 2006, 14:21
The bosun on the Eurypylus (voyage #1, 1947-48) ) - ex-Samsette - was a tall sinewey man from southern England. He had a face that made Jack Pallance look positively angelic, and naturally, he was call The Ghoul. Not to his face, mind. He was a real old-time sailor, though; a master of his trade.

i reckon that is the same man as you say a tall man he was sinewey, also i found him to be o.k and he knew his stuff

Trevorw
7th August 2006, 23:41
If it@s the same Albert Lane - he was 2nd Mate on the Glengarry in 1958. A superb footballer! Our ships team was undefeated for two trips until we played the RN at Singapore!

Ex Bluey!

Trader
8th August 2006, 17:46
Hi Durango,

I have got a photo of the "Pyrrhus" that I took in Port Swettenham when I was on the "Bellerophon" around 52/53. I shall have to put it on the Gallery. I have only just learned how to do it.

Trader.

DURANGO
8th August 2006, 20:19
Hi Durango,

I have got a photo of the "Pyrrhus" that I took in Port Swettenham when I was on the "Bellerophon" around 52/53. I shall have to put it on the Gallery. I have only just learned how to do it.

Trader. Thanks for that Trader theres nothing like the sight of a Bluey to take a man back to the golden days be lucky mate thanks again

Dave Edge
8th August 2006, 22:29
I was at the Prince of Wales Sea Training school in Dover with a Willie Woods from Buckie in 1963. Could that be the same guy? Come to think of it I think he was from Port Knockie (?).

quietman
9th November 2006, 20:13
Whilst never having sailed with Bronco Lane in my time with Blue Funnel I have heard many tales some probably growing with telling. Seems this man was a bit of a legend

sylvesterheng
12th November 2006, 14:10
Calling all ex Blueys who had sailed on some of the Straits Steamships vessels. There is a gathering of all ex seafarers coming up in Singapore soon. Those interested please email me at sylvesterheng@gmail.com Look forward to response from you. Cheers, Sylvester ex CENTAUR PROTESILAUS STENTOR RHEXENOR ANTENOR DOLIUS MACHAON MARON GLENLYON GLENROY EGORI PELEUS AND FEW OTHERS which I cant remember.

Derek Roger
12th November 2006, 15:11
Would that be the Same Bronco Lane who we used to sing along with in The Aigburth Hotel 1962 / 63 ??? He was quite good on the Guitar.

Tai Pan
17th November 2006, 15:08
Still got the photo of Glengarry Football team. Albert was a super defender, I was Golie.

blueflue
13th February 2007, 18:23
hi ship mates, does anyone remember John F Kenedey bosun on theseus 1966

Dugie
13th February 2007, 22:35
I sailed with George Wood on the Automedon in the 50's and subsequently went to his wedding. He was from Port Nockie and his wife was from the same area. Unfortunately Janet died not long after they were married. George was a great shipmate with a hearty sense of humour. When he lapsed into the North East dialect he was hard to understand but I had sailed with a few from that area previously and "it wis nae bothe tae ken whit he said aboot the quines!!!"
Regards. Dugie

Hague
26th February 2007, 19:15
From the best of memory the Goul was Harry Evans. He was Bosun of the Pyrrhus for most of the Sixties. Don't know about driving buses during his leave but like all Bosuns in the Blue Funnel he got there because he was an excellent sailor
Hague

duquesa
26th February 2007, 19:44
I'm not ex.Blue Flue but there are two names which I would like to chuck into the pot in case anyone should be able to shed light on their subsequent careers. The first is a long shot and would be aimed at those of you around the 70 mark. He was a cadet with BF around the 1954/55 period and his name was Tony Ablett. I'm not certain if he completed his cadetship or not.
The second certainly did and I believe continued in their service. Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.

Hague
8th March 2007, 20:50

I sailed with John Kennedy 'around the land' in 66 and I think he was on his first trip as Bosun. A Birkenhead man. Frequently pops up on the Radio Merseyside "Roger Philips Lunch Time Show" ( a phone in between 1200- 1330hrs.)
Brgds
Hague

Dolius
6th November 2007, 12:46
Willie Wood was second mate of the Pyrrhus, when I was the fourth mate, in 1960.
Jim Geddie and I were middies together on Diomed voy 4 & 5, in 1957/58
We swapped e mails a couple of years ago, he was on Friends Reunited, but have since lost touch.
Regards
Dolius

Dolius
6th November 2007, 12:50
I'm not ex.Blue Flue but there are two names which I would like to chuck into the pot in case anyone should be able to shed light on their subsequent careers. The first is a long shot and would be aimed at those of you around the 70 mark. He was a cadet with BF around the 1954/55 period and his name was Tony Ablett. I'm not certain if he completed his cadetship or not.
The second certainly did and I believe continued in their service. Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.
Tony Ablett and I were middies on the Diomed voy 4 & 5, 1957/58. I haven't seen or heard of him since. He was pretty handy with a camera and would have some good photos.

tony poutch
7th November 2007, 00:22

I sailed with JFK in 68 when he was Bosun on Anthilochus

demodocus
7th November 2007, 00:52
Name of Gordon Vickery and would have been a cadet around the late 50's,early 60's.

I did a couple of voyages with him in Diomed 1960. Nothing further known.

Bill Davies
7th November 2007, 20:11
Any of you remember Barry Cushman. Middy in the late 50s. Heard he actually got command in the 'China'. I forgot the ship but remebering the name put him ahead of a lot of his contempories. Used to sit doing the 'Articles ' & 'Identities' for hours.

cheddarnibbles
8th November 2007, 17:24
Any of you remember Barry Cushman. Middy in the late 50s. Heard he actually got command in the 'China'. I forgot the ship but remebering the name put him ahead of a lot of his contempories. Used to sit doing the 'Articles ' & 'Identities' for hours.

Yes, I remember Barry. He was the senior middy on my first trip (on Dolius, Captain Punchard.).We left Bidston Dock at midnight on a cold November night exactly 49 years ago. He was a dab hand at the Daily Telegraph crossword. Not surprised he made it to a command with Blue Flue, he had all the required qualities. The rest of the halfdeck comprised Bill Payne from Cawsand,Plymouth,Peter Pallot from Jersey and yours truly.

Bill Davies
8th November 2007, 19:06
Yes, I remember Barry. He was the senior middy on my first trip (on Dolius, Captain Punchard.).We left Bidston Dock at midnight on a cold November night exactly 49 years ago. He was a dab hand at the Daily Telegraph crossword. Not surprised he made it to a command with Blue Flue, he had all the required qualities. The rest of the halfdeck comprised Bill Payne from Cawsand,Plymouth,Peter Pallot from Jersey and yours truly.

Now you have me thinking. It was 58/59 when I sailed with him but, I was never in the 'Dolius' although I sailed with Punchard (white gloves for inspection - Peggy's nightmare)) What on earth were you doing in the Bidston Dock. I heard they went up there in the mid 60s whilst Vittoria Dock was being renovated. As for making it to command he is named as such in that Blue Funnel Associations monthly newsletter (which I get of an old 'China ' boat Master.
Always remember Barry as being extremely polite and shy and in this respect I too was surprised to hear he stayed long enough for command.
I last met Barry in Byrom Street in late 68 I was impoverished after just 18 months ashore and completed Extra's. He was Senior Second Mates on a Super 'P'. No way he would ever relinquish the Blue Funnel dream. I joined Universe Tankers a few weeks later. Barry was a true gentleman. I wish him well whatever he is doing. I've just thought of the name Mick Lynskey remember him.

cheddarnibbles
9th November 2007, 15:28
[QUOTE=Bill Davies;162023]Now you have me thinking. It was 58/59 when I sailed with him but, I was never in the 'Dolius' although I sailed with Punchard (white gloves for inspection - Peggy's nightmare)) What on earth were you doing in the Bidston Dock. I heard they went up there in the mid 60s whilst Vittoria Dock was being renovated.

Well, one can hardly forget one's first trip.....but I could be wrong.
I'm quite sure it was Bidston; leastwise, it was one hell of a long night before we finally got out into the Mersey ; being on stations on the poop all the time from about 2300 to gone 0600 (and not really knowing what was going on !!). That's why I remember it so well.
I also remember Barry asking me when we were called after a kip, 'Okay Nibbles, where do you think we are now?' I replied, ' Somewhere in the Med '??. Barry smirked, politely , and said, 'No, Cardigan Bay, just passing Aberporth' . So much for my first attempt at a D.R. !!!!!

demodocus
21st December 2007, 03:30
The rest of the halfdeck comprised Bill Payne from Cawsand,Plymouth,Peter Pallot from Jersey and yours truly.

I remember Pallot, he was a voyage senior to me in Diomed.

Went ashore in Penang & went to the Snake Temple where he bought a 10 foot python. We fed it on whole ox kidneys on the way home. At Liverpool the taxis refused to take Pallot and his struggling sack, last I saw of him he was trying to persuade a bus conductor to allow it under the stairs.

Alan Knott
18th January 2008, 00:14
Tony Ablett and I were middies on the Diomed voy 4 & 5, 1957/58. I haven't seen or heard of him since. He was pretty handy with a camera and would have some good photos.

Am trying to trace the history of a bell that is ex Diomed [1921 -52] that was presented to the Flying Angel Club - Mission to Seamen [as it was then] in Melbourne. It is beautiful and well preserved but have no idea why it is there and who presented it etc. Can you help please? or suggest who might?
See photo
Alan Knott

sparkie2182
18th January 2008, 00:24
not b.f. myself.............

but does anyone remember arthur white........ longtime r/o with blue flue?

best regards to all alfred holt lads.............

sparkie 2182 ( ex cunard....... sorry.......:) )

Tai Pan
20th January 2008, 11:39
No Trev. his name was albert Farquar. thats on the back of the football team photo

Bill Davies
20th January 2008, 12:03
Does the name LuLu Watson ring any bell??

kevinseery
20th January 2008, 20:12
I sailed with Barry Cushman a couple of times, and as has been said he's a really nice bloke!

Peter Martin
21st January 2008, 08:21
Now you have me thinking. It was 58/59 when I sailed with him but, I was never in the 'Dolius' although I sailed with Punchard (white gloves for inspection - Peggy's nightmare)) What on earth were you doing in the Bidston Dock. I heard they went up there in the mid 60s whilst Vittoria Dock was being renovated. As for making it to command he is named as such in that Blue Funnel Associations monthly newsletter (which I get of an old 'China ' boat Master.
Always remember Barry as being extremely polite and shy and in this respect I too was surprised to hear he stayed long enough for command.
I last met Barry in Byrom Street in late 68 I was impoverished after just 18 months ashore and completed Extra's. He was Senior Second Mates on a Super 'P'. No way he would ever relinquish the Blue Funnel dream. I joined Universe Tankers a few weeks later. Barry was a true gentleman. I wish him well whatever he is doing. I've just thought of the name Mick Lynskey remember him.

I seem to remember that Mike was Asst to Dick Hutson at "Aulis". A very pleasant chap and every inch a BF Gentleman. Jim Turner was the other Asst Warden. He ended up as Marine Personel Manager at Kuwait Shipping.

Bill Davies
23rd January 2008, 16:52
Only knew Mike Lynskey from College days in Liverpool and did not sail with him. I was up for First Mates when he for Second Mates and we we travelled together each day on the train. He to Hoylake and me to West Kirby. Very serious, and a 'Career China Boat Man'.

Brgds

Bill

Peter Martin
30th January 2008, 16:35
Sailed with him on Calchas in 1973. A really nice chap who did all sorts of interesting things. He was the very devil at Scrabble and was a consistant winner. He also caught a small shark whilst we were at anchor in one of the Java ports. I think I may still have a picture of him posing with the said fish! I'll try and look it out.
Happy days

Bill Davies
30th January 2008, 18:59
Did anyone sail with Capt Pettigrew, a Wallasey man. Used to take a drink in the Magazines or Pilot Boat House.

seabreeze
1st February 2008, 13:35
Only knew Mike Lynskey from College days in Liverpool and did not sail with him. I was up for First Mates when he for Second Mates and we we travelled together each day on the train. He to Hoylake and me to West Kirby. Very serious, and a 'Career China Boat Man'.

Brgds

Bill

HI Bill, Mike Lynskey is alive and well and lives on Angelsey.
I spoke to him last night and am trying to get him to join the site
Regards Peter.

Graham McMorine
1st February 2008, 21:18
Did anyone sail with Capt Pettigrew, a Wallasey man. Used to take a drink in the Magazines or Pilot Boat House.

Sailed with him on the "Ajax" June to September 1965. Seemed to lock himself away most of the time and gave the middies a hell of a time. (Cloud)

Bill Davies
1st February 2008, 21:43
Graham,
There was probably a good reason for that as he had a son Ian who was a Middy in the company.

Brgds

Bill

Graham McMorine
1st February 2008, 22:17
Graham,
There was probably a good reason for that as he had a son Ian who was a Middy in the company.

Brgds

Bill

Could explain a hell of a lot Bill, he did`nt have much time for sick jnr engineers either, as I found out to my peril.

(EEK) Regards, Gra.

geohogg
5th March 2008, 13:28

Hi There,

Just to let you know that Jimmy Geddie and I were room mates on the cadet ship " Diomed" for two voyages Nov. 57 to July 58. Work hard, play hard times. Great voyages. Jimmy and I sank the odd beer or twelve together with the other guys on shore leave. He came from the village of Findhorn and had been a pupil at Gordonstoun. Wonder where he is now, retired like me for sure.

Best regards

George Hogg

geohogg
5th March 2008, 14:31
Willie Wood was second mate of the Pyrrhus, when I was the fourth mate, in 1960.
Jim Geddie and I were middies together on Diomed voy 4 & 5, in 1957/58
We swapped e mails a couple of years ago, he was on Friends Reunited, but have since lost touch.
Regards
Dolius

Hi Dolius, George Hogg here. Jimmy Geddie and I were room Mates on Diomed on the voyages you mention, so who are you? Also noted somebody asking about Tony Ablet and he was with us on voyage 4 (a second tripper).

Best Regards

Graham McMorine
16th March 2008, 21:24
Does anyone remember a Blue Flue guy they called "Gorgeous George". Was only in his presence once and did not know his surname,but what a charactor. Think he was an Engineer.
Regards, Gra.

Dave Wilson
17th March 2008, 10:43
Graham,
If you were in his presence and could not work out what he was I would say he was definitely an Engineer!
All the best
Dave

Pat Kennedy
17th March 2008, 12:11

I sailed with the Ghoul on the Jason, coasting. He came up to join her in Glasgow, as emergency replacement for Jock Sutherland who had been found floating face down in Gladstone Dock on the night we sailed.
The Ghoul wasn't as bad as his reputation, and he was certainly a good Bosun.
He made a fleeting appearance in a movie, "The Countess From Hong Kong", part of which was filmed on board a Bluey, and the Ghoul was the gangway man.

Dave Wilson
17th March 2008, 13:23
I sailed with the Ghoul on the Jason, coasting. He came up to join her in Glasgow, as emergency replacement for Jock Sutherland who had been found floating face down in Gladstone Dock on the night we sailed.
The Ghoul wasn't as bad as his reputation, and he was certainly a good Bosun.
He made a fleeting appearance in a movie, "The Countess From Hong Kong", part of which was filmed on board a Bluey, and the Ghoul was the gangway man.

I was up in Shieldhall around 68 (Second Mate of a King Boat) when one of the Welsh ABs on a Bluey acroos the dock fell between the ship and the quay. Not a good place for BF men!

jimmys
17th March 2008, 15:22
Hi Graham,

I remember "Gorgeous George". His name was G.W.B.C. Easton. He was a Second Engineer around the mid sixties. I sailed with him but cant remember ship.
He was a class surveyor when I was in the DOT around late eighties.
His style of dress was reminicent of a country gentleman and he also had a fine thrist as I recall.

regards
jimmys

Bill Davies
17th March 2008, 19:07
Pat,
I never sailed with Jock Sutherland but heard good things about him.
The 'Ghoul'! Would that be Harry Evans??. Used to wear Gauntlets.
Brgds
Bill

Pat Kennedy
17th March 2008, 20:14
Pat,
I never sailed with Jock Sutherland but heard good things about him.
The 'Ghoul'! Would that be Harry Evans??. Used to wear Gauntlets.
Brgds
Bill

Jock Sutherland, Bill, was a great little character, he appeared to be exclusively a home trade bosun when I sailed with him, first as deck boy on the Peleus and after that, Hector, Nestor, Theseus, and back to the Peleus again. I was JOS by then, and knew him quite well. he used to send me ashore in Glasgow every morning after smoko to get him a half bottle of Bells.
We joined the Jason in Gladstone dock one morning, she was sailing at midnight, so after we had everything squared away, it was all hands up to the Caradoc.
Jock was missing when we went on standby, and then the tug aft spotted him in the dock.
He must have slipped on the quayside coming back to the ship,
Everyone was gutted, he was a very popular bosun.

Yes, Harry Evans, AKA The Ghoul. Never had much to say, but was a good seaman.I saw him put a splice in a wire lifeboat fall, and not many could do that.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
17th March 2008, 20:44
Not easy Pat I will concede but I witnessed Paddy put an a new eye in the Insurance wire following an incident on leaving the buoys in Hong Kong homeward (naturally). Now that was something! 50 years ago!!

Bill Davies
19th March 2008, 22:41
Pat,
Just read your post #50 again and another BF anomaly struck me. In 'the China' when we went on standby we all went fore and aft. In the British companies I sailed with subsequent to 'the China' the crowd went fore and aft when the Bosun shouted 'stations'. Standby meant waiting to go on stations.

oceangoer
24th March 2008, 03:45
Anybody know what happened to Richard (Dicky) Davis .... watchkeeping AB in MV Ixion 1959, from Shotton, Flints ??? He was studying for his 2nd Mates ticket when I last met him.

Bill Davies
24th March 2008, 23:19
Punter,
The name does not ring any bells. There were however, several studying for 2nd Mates around my time but some fell by the way side.
In the late 50s. McCaffery and Watterson passed and in the 60s chronologically myself, John Barlow(Wicklow), Mick Proctor (Arklow), Tom Proctor (Wallasey)
We all kept in contact with some of the 'old timers' like Hughie Davies and Theo Jones the most senior. There were several up for Home Trade.

Bill Davies
27th March 2008, 14:20
Punter,
I have been in touch with the Blue Funnel Association and apparently their was an AB up for Home Trade Mates/Masters in the 60s by the name Leslie Edmonds.
So that is 4 FG & 1 HT in the 60s

Bill

Hugh Ferguson
29th March 2008, 10:25
Anyone remember Jack Abbiss?

Bill Davies
29th March 2008, 19:39
Does'nt ring a bell Hugh. What about Capt A.R. Davidson a dour Scotsman retired around 1970.

rothesian
29th March 2008, 22:09
Does'nt ring a bell Hugh. What about Capt A.R. Davidson a dour Scotsman retired around 1970.

sailed with my 1st trip as a middy on the Maron in 64, Mate was J.C. Rae, McEwen? bosun(Thumb)

Bill Davies
29th March 2008, 22:57
Rothesian,

That would be Mick McEwan. J.C. Rae had a fearsome reputation!

Bill

rothesian
29th March 2008, 23:23
Rothesian,

That would be Mick McEwan. J.C. Rae had a fearsome reputation!

Bill

also 2 leading seamen I remember thanks to Hague, Dirty Dick and Al White, - J.C. was NOT my favourite nor I his!!(Thumb)

makko
30th March 2008, 01:53
I sailed under J.C. Ray. He must have mellowed! The Ni**** in the woodpile was the C/E Jackie Benn. But, we got our own back! (The whole E/R dept.!)
Dave

Bill Davies
30th March 2008, 10:00
Al White! what a character, unfortunately he had a tragic 'personal' accident on the 'Diomed' in the early 70s.

jmcg
9th June 2008, 12:37

Yes I do - and 3 others. We refused to sail with him on the Glenfruin (ex Dolius I think). We were released in London and on our return to face the "court martial" in Liverpool we were exonerated. I believe that he was severly reprimanded for his aggressive nature. I belive he used to attend the local magistrates courts when on leave for his "kicks ". A strange man!

BW

John

tony poutch
15th June 2008, 13:59
I was with him on Antilochus 68 had'nt changed

Pat Kennedy
17th June 2008, 08:37
Another Blue Funnel character, who every deck rating knew, was Mr Greenwood, the man in Odyssey works who decided your fate. He was in charge of crewing, and would call you into his office one at a time, and inform you of your next engagement.
I found him to be a very understanding bloke, when my father was seriously ill, he allowed me to stay coasting for twelve months for which I was very grateful.
I believe he was from Garstang in Lancashire, and had been a radio officer.
His boss, Captain Harris was another very likeable man, who had a lot of time for the wellbeing of first trippers. He actually appeared on my first ship, the Achilles while we were still alongside in Birkenhead, and sat down in the messroom with me and the other deck boy, Peter Rust, and talked to us for half an hour before the ship sailed. a true gentleman.
Pat

Bill Davies
17th June 2008, 10:37
Pat,
I would concur with your reflections on Greenwood. There was also Capt Ronnie Symons in the crewing department.
Capt W.T. Harris, who ran the Deck Boy school was the only Blue Funnel Master who was Extra Master and still with the China. It was well known that BF did not encourage one to sit for Extra's and did not offer employment to those that attained this qualification. Ironic, in that if I stayed with them in 61 they would have got rid of me in 68.
Also in the school was Kevin Eader, Adrian Donnan, Dennis O'Brian.

R651400
17th June 2008, 11:05
Never been on first name terms with Blue Funnel skippers but I think the master in question was Capt W Symmon.

Pat Kennedy
17th June 2008, 19:38
Pat,
I would concur with your reflections on Greenwood. There was also Capt Ronnie Symons in the crewing department.
Capt W.T. Harris, who ran the Deck Boy school was the only Blue Funnel Master who was Extra Master and still with the China. It was well known that BF did not encourage one to sit for Extra's and did not offer employment to those that attained this qualification. Ironic, in that if I stayed with them in 61 they would have got rid of me in 68.
Also in the school was Kevin Eader, Adrian Donnan, Dennis O'Brian.

Why is it Bill, that Blue Funnel did not employ extra masters? I would have thought that BF of all companies would want the most highly qualified men running their ships.

I didnt Know Capt Symons, Kevin Eader or Adrian Donner, O'Brian was a legend
Always called O.B.,he was a great bloke and taught us trainee deckboys all the basics of seamanship with patience and good humour. There was a story that, torpedoed during the war, he survived 47 days in a lifeboat.

One thing he did not tell us was the unrelenting drudgery of a peggy's job, the scrubbing alleyways and bathrooms on your knees every day seven days a week, the implications of serving 17 men with their meals, and washing up after them three times a day for 3 or 4 months . I know, we all went through it and it did us no harm, but had I known, I simply wouldnt have gone to sea.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
17th June 2008, 21:42
Pat,
Quote:Why is it Bill, that Blue Funnel did not employ extra masters?Unquote
I believe it was due to giving the holder independence which was not in 'the China's' interest. Saying that, those up for Extra's from the BF were somewhat limited as they only had Third Mates experience but they were welcome into places like Byrom Street as lecturers. Those of us who had First Mates experience were usually heading for the Hong Kong outfits where they could readily obtain command for the two years required by the BOT for an examiners position. I chose NBC, liked the money bought the big house in Gayton and stayed.

Trader
18th June 2008, 16:38
Another Blue Funnel character, who every deck rating knew, was Mr Greenwood, the man in Odyssey works who decided your fate. He was in charge of crewing, and would call you into his office one at a time, and inform you of your next engagement.
I found him to be a very understanding bloke, when my father was seriously ill, he allowed me to stay coasting for twelve months for which I was very grateful.
I believe he was from Garstang in Lancashire, and had been a radio officer.
His boss, Captain Harris was another very likeable man, who had a lot of time for the wellbeing of first trippers. He actually appeared on my first ship, the Achilles while we were still alongside in Birkenhead, and sat down in the messroom with me and the other deck boy, Peter Rust, and talked to us for half an hour before the ship sailed. a true gentleman.
Pat

Hi Pat,

I also remember Mr. Greenwood, a lovely man, he gave me a good talking to when I joined my first trip as Deck boy on the "Bellerophon" in 1952.

He never mentioned all the scrubbing out and dishwashing though.(Jester)

Trader.

Pat Kennedy
18th June 2008, 16:56
Trader,
No, It was a closely guarded secret. Half the lads on my training course packed in after one trip, solely because of the endless drudgery, the seasickness, the homesickness, and the lousy grub.
Still, those of us who stuck it out have never regretted it, I reckon it made a man of me.

Bill Davies
18th June 2008, 18:29
Trader/Pat,
It is too simplistic to say 'no pain no gain' although it does have a lot to do with it. I experienced nothing more or less than what I expected. I came from a seafaring background and was well drilled. Most of the crowd could not understand how I joined as deck boy with kit supplied to me by my father right down to the 'Hings' underwear. It also helps to have the right 'crowd'.
I was fortunate to sail on my first trip with Capt Laxton and the legendary Paddy Proctor who was a gentleman and to my mind the greatest sailor I ever sailed with in 50 years. I understand you knew his son Pat from St.Anselms. Paddy started in the Arklow Schooners. That first trip is so important and can make or break you. It made me.

Pat Kennedy
18th June 2008, 19:51
Well, you are absolutely right Bill, and you were lucky to have the right background, and even luckier with your first bosun.
My family were not seafarers, although my Grandfather was a ships master, he had died long before I was born. My father was a sergeant-major in the infantry, and his parting advice to me was, "If it wears a uniform, call it Sir"
the second steward was delighted with me!
As to the bosun; my first bosun was Bill Carmody, a miserable dried up character, who told me, "I know your Father, and if you think thats going to get you an easy ride you can forget it"
What amazed me, and still does when I think of it is that in Blue Funnel, they had a full inspection every day except Sunday. The line up was; The Master, the Mate, the Chief Engineer, the Chief Steward, the Doctor or male nurse, and the bosun.
These luminaries all wore white gloves, (except the bosun), and they inspected every space in the accomodation.They would go in the sailor's bathroom and pile in very toilet stall, peer into every urinal and wash basin, examine in minute detail the drains and tiling in the showers, it was mental, and it terrified me because woe betide the peggy who had not done a thorough job. even the gash bucket in the sailor's mess was expected to be sparkling clean.
That only happened in Blue Flue. I sailed in plenty of other companies and inspections were cursory affairs on a Sunday morning. Some ships, the Monksgarth was one, never had an inspection at all in three months.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
18th June 2008, 21:09
Pat,
Billy Carmody!! Remember him well. Never sailed with him but knew him socially from 'The Sandridge' (Strouds Corner)... a real BF rigging loft. Frisco Rig and Heavy lift gear the talk of the day.

Pat Kennedy
19th June 2008, 07:07
Pat,
Billy Carmody!! Remember him well. Never sailed with him but knew him socially from 'The Sandridge' (Strouds Corner)... a real BF rigging loft. Frisco Rig and Heavy lift gear the talk of the day.

Bill,
He was a bad tempered SOB all the way to Kobe, then his demeanour changed and he came in the messroom and distributed cards advertising the Surf Rider Bar, which he co-owned with his "wife", the Mama San. He said the first drink was on the house. Nobody took him up on the offer, apparently it was a dump.
Homeward bound, he reverted to his usual morose self.
Thankfully, my next bosun was Jock Sutherland, a typical wee Glaswegian, pugnacious and fond of the whisky, but at least he didnt treat you like a cockroach.
Regards
Pat

Bill Davies
19th June 2008, 07:59
Pat,
My recollections were totally different, but then I never sailed with him. I could detect there was another side but then is that not true of us all. Consider Br Ambrose!!!

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
24th June 2008, 12:48
It seems the "China "had an amalgam of excellent bosuns and unfortuanelty, tyrant bosuns too! I had my share of each in the 8 years I was with Blue Funnel. The good ones taught me evertyhing and I list these as follows: George Birch (Autolycus) - {I did 9 voyages in total on her} George remains the best seaman I have come across, Tony Casson (Antilochus), Joe Bates (Hector), N.E.(North East) Roberts (Atreus). Top class seamen. I believe Joe Bates never left the Hector - from builders to scrapyard. The tyrants I can remember too but best not to name them on this forum.

Has anybody got any further details on the above.

John

Trader
24th June 2008, 18:50
It seems the "China "had an amalgam of excellent bosuns and unfortuanelty, tyrant bosuns too! I had my share of each in the 8 years I was with Blue Funnel. The good ones taught me evertyhing and I list these as follows: George Birch (Autolycus) - {I did 9 voyages in total on her} George remains the best seaman I have come across, Tony Casson (Antilochus), Joe Bates (Hector), N.E.(North East) Roberts (Atreus). Top class seamen. I believe Joe Bates never left the Hector - from builders to scrapyard. The tyrants I can remember too but best not to name them on this forum.

John

Hi John,

I did four years with Blue flue joining as deck boy on the "Bellerophon" in 1952 after attending the Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey. I sailed with Tony Casson on the "Bellerophon", we were ordinary seamen together, I think that his father was also on Blue Flue.

I did six Far East trips on the "Bellerophon" apart from coasting her as well. our bosun was Bill Thomas from Amlych, Anglesey. A good bosun who looked after the deck boys and taught us a lot. His father, Griff Thomas had been a bosun before him I believe.

I left to go on the "Astyanax" where big Jake Cleary from Wicklow was bosun, another good seaman who liked his "pound of flesh" but was very fair, if you didn't get back in time to "turn to" when in Japan. He didn't report you as long as you were back by 7 am. It was 6 o'clock turn to in those days even in port.

I left to go on the "Neleus" as I fancied a trip to Aussie. Spud Murphy was bosun who unfortunately took ill in Sydney and Danny Proctor ,the Lampy, took over. Danny didn't want the bosuns job full time so our next bosun was Jimmy Mason from Wallasey, a character and a good bosun. Bill Davies knows the full story.

After four years I left Blueys to join Manchester Liners. What a culture change,

Alec.

Pat Kennedy
25th June 2008, 07:17
Trader,
I sailed with Jack Cleary as well, two or three times around the land, and I detested him. A good seaman no doubt, but an obnoxious man.
Anyway all these Blue funnel Bosuns pale into insignificance when set against the great Martin Quinn of CPR.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
29th June 2008, 18:57
Quote: Blue Funnel Bosuns

John :Unquote

John,
I would suggest with respect that the BF legends had more or less retired or passed away by the time your profile suggests plus one or two names who were AB with me (Casson). Jack Cleary was a good Bosun and a nice man as well as was Jimmy (Butch) Mason

Bill

Bill

Bill Davies
29th June 2008, 19:57
Quote:Anyway all these Blue funnel Bosuns pale into insignificance when set against the great Martin Quinn of CPR.Unquote
You are the first person who I have ever heard speaking of Martin Quinn in that way. He was handy with his fists.

Pat Kennedy
29th June 2008, 20:52
Just joking Bill.
I sailed with Martin Quinn on the Britain, and he was as you say, handy with his fists, and accounts of his various fights were widespread throughout the MN at the time.
I found him OK, he looked a bit like Arthur Askey, and seemed to know his job inside out, but he ran the crowd by unspoken intimidation. Nobody ever put a foot wrong in one of his ships.
A couple more BF characters for you Bill, first, Les Kaufmann who was a fine seaman but I think he went in the shore gang before they could give him a bosuns job due to illness.
Second, Stan Murray; I sailed with as AB, then Lampy, and finally Bosun, and he was a great bloke in every respect.
I last saw him in The Royal Liverpool hospital, where he had just had a hip replacement and I was just in to get one. He told me he had a greengrocers in Lodge Lane.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
29th June 2008, 21:10
Pat,
Re Martin Quinn.
I do not believe intimidation was the way to run the crowd. As for Martins others credentials I do not believe he was in the BF league. However, Stan Murray and I were good friends and sailed together as ABs in 58 in 'Antenor'. Capt McDavid, Bosun Paddy Proctor and Lampy Angus Cummings. Johnny Rowan was another AB. Pat McIlhenny AB and I were both study for Second Mate(FG) the only time another in 'the focsle' was studying with me.

Pat Kennedy
29th June 2008, 22:07
Bill,
I agree with your comments about intimidation, however that was the way of it on some ships, (and schools) I'm afraid.
Johnny Rowan, I sailed with him and a couple of his brothers, all of them good amateur boxers as I recall. I was with him on MacAndrews "Vives", if my memory serves.
Pat

Bill Davies
30th June 2008, 19:02
Pat,
You might have the wrong Johnny Rowan. Seem to recall he ended up in the Liverpool Shore Gang from early 60s then joined a Ship repairer in the North end.
Another Bosun has just come to mind, Jock Flett.

Pat Kennedy
30th June 2008, 20:10
Bill, You are right, it was Lovell, not Rowan I was thinking of.
Jock Flett I knew him, but cant remember what ship.
another was Vic Blower, who became shore bosun in Birkenhead. Vic was Ok, a good bosun, he had a brother named Jimmy who I also sailed with.

Did you ever sail with a chief cook named Tommy Maher? He had a son Aiden, who played for Everton in the sixties. Tommy always sailed round the land with a bunch of Liverpool chinese cooks and stewards. These guys were more scouse than scousers, being born and raised in Liverpool. They were a crowd of madmen, and great to go ashore with. their leader was Ronnie Chan, an Oriental Erroll Flynn lookalike, and he was, what they call these days, "a chick magnet" If you went ashore with Ronnie, you would end up at a party, even on a wet Sunday night in Glasgow.
Happy days Bill, the more I remember, the more I want to go back in time and do it all again!
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
30th June 2008, 21:24
Vic Blower was of course groomed for the Shore Bosuns job by Big Syd Bainbridge. He was only about 37 when he became Bosun which was incredibly young in 'the China'. He did the token FG voyages and then went on the coast before joining the Shore Gang. I never sailed with him but heard good things.
Going back in time is one thing after all the site is about nostalgia. But if asked would I do it all again the answer is definitely NO. In hindsight I made the best of a bad job. Ambrose said it was a waste!

Pat Kennedy
1st July 2008, 07:46
A question occured to me Bill, when perusing my discharge book.
Who signs the Master's discharge book? Can you give yourself a DR for example if you consider that your conduct was below par?
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
1st July 2008, 07:53
Perish the thought!

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
1st July 2008, 12:04
Some old bulwarks named above. No doubt all good seamen. Although the names above are familiar I didn't sail with any of them. Its difficult to remember all the names (there was so many of them) but a few good ones still spring to mind - Jock Hunter, Joe Townsend (Leading Seaman), Fred Ball (Lampie), the Binman (his real name escapes me), Tony Bullock (Irish AB), Vic Davies (AB), Mattie O'Conner (AB), Sean MAC Guiness (AB). Other infamous names include Otto Goblowski (Bosun), Lofty Reynolds (Bosun). Wonderful era!

Bill Davies
1st July 2008, 12:26
John,
Quote:Some old bulwarks named above. No doubt all good seamen. Although the names above are familiar I didn't sail with any of them.Unquote
I think you will find that most of us knew or knew of each other on joining which made joining a ship very relaxed. Invariably, you had sailed with many before and on being introduced to another you would make a mental note that he was say, 'an inside guy man' or similar. If you had not sailed with him you knew his CV. Never recall it being like that elsewhere. Otto must have been retiring when you sailed with him. As wide as he was tall! Lofty Reynolds was OK

Bill Davies
1st July 2008, 13:05
A name has just come to mind , Norman Wong, a Liverpool Chinese Lampy. I sailed with him 'around the land'. Good shipmate albeit a little mouthy. U'stand he changed his name to Morley on becoming Bosun.

jmcg
1st July 2008, 14:14
Bill

We all thought that Otto had in fact "retired" en voyage. Unlike George Birch, Tony Casson, Joe Bates et al, Otto was not minded to "turn to" i.e. work. All he seemed to do sit on the toilet and vex the crowd by leaving the toilet door open. That was the Clytoneus -1967 Capt. Stubbings.

BW

John

Bill Davies
1st July 2008, 14:29
John,
You have just revived memories dormant in my mind for almost 50 years. So Otto, had not improved with age. The toilet door issue vexed many a crowd.

Bill

DURANGO
1st July 2008, 14:42
Bill

We all thought that Otto had in fact "retired" en voyage. Unlike George Birch, Tony Casson, Joe Bates et al, Otto was not minded to "turn to" i.e. work. All he seemed to do sit on the toilet and vex the crowd by leaving the toilet door open. That was the Clytoneus -1967 Capt. Stubbings.

BW

John
My first voyage in a bluey was as a.b. in the Agapenor great ship great shipmates , this was in 1962 my cabin mate was a wonderful welshman i,m sure his name was Edgar Owen a real diamond the bosun if i,m right was Charlie Taylor i had my 20th birthday aboard her , other name ,s that come to mind big Joe keig , Willie Mcdonald i did hear that he became a ships master and i think Joe became bosun , the bin man comes to mind cant place him , i sailed with a lampy who had been bosun but got put back to lampy .

Trader
1st July 2008, 16:34
Bill

BW

John

We had a lampy on the Bellerophon (1952/54) who always left the toilet door open, his name was Dusty Millar. He was Latvian or Estonian and would drop his belt with knife & spike outside the door to let you know that he was in there. He never took a shower all the time that I was on there, two years, he used to have a strip wash in his cabin.

He gave the peggies a dogs life, he would leave markers under his mat to make sure that we lifted them every day when we scrubbed out. He was up the mates and engineers ar..sh...s. He would cover their baskets that they bought in Hong Kong with canvas and paint them grey for them. A real "yes sir, no sir" creep.

There are some people that you never forget at sea and he was one of them for me and not for any good reasons.

I am sorry for that rant, we seem to have got off topic a little. This is supposed to be about Blue Funnel mates and not toilet doors.(Jester)

Trader.

price
1st July 2008, 16:35
Hello Durango, I believe Tommy Hogan was nicknamed the Binman, I sailed with him when he was bosun on the Rhexenor in 1954.
Bruce.

Bill Davies
1st July 2008, 17:35
Does anyone remember the real name of the shore Bosun (Birkenhead) prior to Big Syd Bainbridge. He was known as 'Burst the Poe' for obvious reasons. A little before my time but maybe Bruce or Alec might remember???

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
1st July 2008, 22:38
Dusty Miller - a good English name for a Latvian. That spurns me on to another fake name - that of an Egyptian called Mustafa Shoufti. I dont beleive he was certified EDH or AB but claimed that he was an Englishman of Greek Cypriot origin and went by his "English name of Andy Loufti. Most of us gave him a "wide berth" particularly when he mixed that Arab food in the accomodation. He was well known in the China boats and got up to all sorts of illicit and dodgy activity in the "canal". Mattresses, pillows and counterpains went missing in the canal - all except Shoufti's . A BP tanker helped us out with a few mattresses in Aden.

Of course we couldn't prove anything against Moustafa Mattress.

BW

John

Pat Kennedy
2nd July 2008, 11:22
I sailed with that Shoufti, on the Myrmidon. We called him shifty Shoufti, and I recall he was always late relieving you on the wheel, and even later on lookout.
Tommy Hogan was the "Binman", so named because he always wore a tatty old denim Jacket and trousers, not really jeans as we know them. But he was OK, and a good bosun.
Pat

DURANGO
2nd July 2008, 12:16
Hello Durango, I believe Tommy Hogan was nicknamed the Binman, I sailed with him when he was bosun on the Rhexenor in 1954.
Bruce. Hello Bruce thanks for that i know i have heard of the binman if i sailed with him it would have been in Perseus or Antilochus , he wasn,t in Agapenor as i have already said and the only other bluey i was in was the Pyrrhus and the ghoul was bosun in her . but i have to say a great company and i can understand people staying their whole sea time with them , although i was a pool man and living in London it was easier for me to ship out of K.G.5. but i kept going back to them every couple of years and they kept taking me back so i must have been doing something right . Dave

jmcg
2nd July 2008, 18:53
Bill
Would this one be named Jacky Landsborough or similar sounding name?

Never sailed with him but as you say sometimes their legacy went before them. From reading these fascinating threads I realise why the BF is such a legend. No doubt there are some old bulwarks like us with great and dear memories of that magic era.

BW

John

Pat Kennedy
2nd July 2008, 22:29
I sailed with quite a few old timers in BF who had joined as deckboy and never left the company, some even stayed in the same ship year after year.
We called them "stanchions", and all they knew was Alfie Holt's.
I, on the other hand always had itchy feet and wanted to try other ships, other companies. I always went back to Blueys eventually, it was safe and familiar,you rarely got an alleyway full of drunken a***holes, and at least you knew you were part of an organisation that did have an eye on your welfare.

jmcg
2nd July 2008, 22:59
As indeed I did - left after 9 years, on to the "Pool", Bibbys, Palm Line, Silver Line, Jebsons, Stephenson Clark, CP Ships, Combden & Lonstaff, Fishers, and finally Harrisons. In between the others I always found a trip or two back with the BF. On reflection now, the greatest ships and "crowds" of the lot. I agree with the comment re drunks - we loved a drink but were of a particular disciplined culture only found in the China.

BW

John

David Thomson
3rd July 2008, 19:58
Hi Dolius, George Hogg here. Jimmy Geddie and I were room Mates on Diomed on the voyages you mention, so who are you? Also noted somebody asking about Tony Ablet and he was with us on voyage 4 (a second tripper).

Best Regards

Hi George Hogg,
I have just joined SN and like yourself, retired. Sailed with you on Diomed v4 and 5. My cabin mate was Iain Stewart from Grangemouth but lost touch with him years ago. Who is Dolius ?
I'd be pleased to share a yarn with you once I find my way round this ship.
Regards,
Dave Thomson

DURANGO
4th July 2008, 14:14
Hi George Hogg,
I have just joined SN and like yourself, retired. Sailed with you on Diomed v4 and 5. My cabin mate was Iain Stewart from Grangemouth but lost touch with him years ago. Who is Dolius ?
I'd be pleased to share a yarn with you once I find my way round this ship.
Regards,
Dave Thomson Hello David i see you where on sugar line did you ever sail in Sugar Refiner and Crystal Gem i was in both theses ships s.o.s in the refiner and a.b. in the crystal Gem all the best Dave .

tony poutch
4th July 2008, 14:47
Anyone remember JACK KELLY AB from WICKLOW i found him a likeable old devil ,even though he called us young lads crubeen which means pigs foot,i think he was an in law of the Barlows often woundered how he ended up ,he was going around the land same time as,THE CRUMB ,OSSI BURKE ,TUG WILSON

Bill Davies
4th July 2008, 14:49
John,
Quote:Would this one be named Jacky Landsborough or similar sounding name?Unquote

That name rings a bell but I am not sure it is in connection to 'Burst the Poe'

jmcg
4th July 2008, 16:15
Anyone remember JACK KELLY AB from WICKLOW i found him a likeable old devil ,even though he called us young lads crubeen which means pigs foot,i think he was an in law of the Barlows often woundered how he ended up ,he was going around the land same time as,THE CRUMB ,OSSI BURKE ,TUG WILSON

A few more salts mentioned there Tony- now I recall your name and possibly sailed with you 66 -75 Autoycus, Menelaus, Hector, Theseus, Pyrrhus, Antilochus, Protesilaus ??

Aussie was a filthy old devil - his claim to fame was his trip of 39 days from Aussie to UK on a stolen motor bike. He was reported to have a "tatoo "on his "old lad " naming of each of the broads he had screwed. However, the oldest tatoo was not so revered - her name was Lulu. On a call to an island in the pacific he received a "Dear John" from his beloved Lulu. He immediatley had her name on his old lad changed to read HONOLULU".

Who was "The Crumb". Remember the calling but cannot fit a name. Do you remmber John Flanagan - a good AB. Worked with him many years later in the refineries. Still climbing columns into his late 70's!!!!

BW

John

David Thomson
4th July 2008, 16:29
Hello David i see you where on sugar line did you ever sail in Sugar Refiner and Crystal Gem i was in both theses ships s.o.s in the refiner and a.b. in the crystal Gem all the best Dave .

Hi Durango,
Nice to hear from you. I was never on the Crystal Gem but served on the Refiner for 4 months in 1976
Best wishes to you
Dave Thomson

DURANGO
4th July 2008, 17:01
Hi Durango,
Nice to hear from you. I was never on the Crystal Gem but served on the Refiner for 4 months in 1976
Best wishes to you
Dave Thomson Hi Dave i was s.o.s. in the Refiner in 1960 i think it was her 2nd voyage , i think they replaced her could be wrong not a bad little outfit all the best .

DURANGO
4th July 2008, 17:05
A few more salts mentioned there Tony- now I recall your name and possibly sailed with you 66 -75 Autoycus, Menelaus, Hector, Theseus, Pyrrhus, Antilochus, Protesilaus ??

Aussie was a filthy old devil - his claim to fame was his trip of 39 days from Aussie to UK on a stolen motor bike. He was reported to have a "tatoo "on his "old lad " naming of each of the broads he had screwed. However, the oldest tatoo was not so revered - her name was Lulu. On a call to an island in the pacific he received a "Dear John" from his beloved Lulu. He immediatley had her name on his old lad changed to read HONOLULU".

Who was "The Crumb". Remember the calling but cannot fit a name. Do you remmber John Flanagan - a good AB. Worked with him many years later in the refineries. Still climbing columns into his late 70's!!!!

BW

John Colums thats a word never used anywhere but in a bluey every where else i sailed they were know as samson post,s

quietman
4th July 2008, 17:20
Dusty Miller - a good English name for a Latvian. That spurns me on to another fake name - that of an Egyptian called Mustafa Shoufti. I dont beleive he was certified EDH or AB but claimed that he was an Englishman of Greek Cypriot origin and went by his "English name of Andy Loufti. Most of us gave him a "wide berth" particularly when he mixed that Arab food in the accomodation. He was well known in the China boats and got up to all sorts of illicit and dodgy activity in the "canal". Mattresses, pillows and counterpains went missing in the canal - all except Shoufti's . A BP tanker helped us out with a few mattresses in Aden.

Of course we couldn't prove anything against Moustafa Mattress.

BW

John
Is this the same fella I came across in the "Bay Boats"in the early 70's? He used to take the butt ends out of ashtrays to make fresh rollies.[=P]

jmcg
4th July 2008, 17:44
Is this the same fella I came across in the "Bay Boats"in the early 70's? He used to take the butt ends out of ashtrays to make fresh rollies.[=P]

Could be - considering his foul habits. He was always "chatty" and was known to recover all the soap left in the showers and melt it down to sell to his fellow countrymen in the Suez Canal. He was reputed to raid the Chinese crew accomodation too for these tit bits. We had our response to that foul activity - but that's for another day!

BW

John

tony poutch
4th July 2008, 17:46
DURANGO iwas on the ANTHILOCHUS JAN 68 Bosun JFK and on the MENELAUS JULY 68,I was around the land as a peggy with a AB known as MANKY MANXSY i will never forget him,he went to hand me a plate and when i reach he let it smash on the deck,saying it was'nt clean enough ,it was spotless i worked with kids in sport later on and i never let a coach or adult be nasty to a kid so it was a lesson well learned

Pat Kennedy
4th July 2008, 18:42

BW

John[/QUOTE]

I was with him on my first trip on the Achilles, and I had the misfortune to see the todger in question.
I was waiting in the queue for a shower, and when the bold Aussie emerged, he waved this gnarly old object around, and said his real name was tattoed on it. As nobody knew his real name, all hands were guessing. it could be anything from Rum to Rumpelstiltskin depending on his mood.
He was certainly an odd character, and once he whacked me round the ear for whistling in his presence. I saw him run up the foremast to the crosstrees carrying a coil of wire on his shoulder, which I could barely lift. and he was only about 5 foot 2" in his socks.
He told me I was the worst peggy he'd ever sailed with, yet when we paid off in Price St shipping office, he gave me a fiver.
The next time i saw him, I was a daywork AB on the Agapenor, and he affected to be overjoyed to see me, and said he always knew I was a good seaman!

Regards,
Pat

tony poutch
4th July 2008, 20:10
THE CRUMB PADDY CRUMLIN North of Ireland man i think ,was getting on and loved a drink it was said that he had been in a Japaneese POW camp and had went through a rough time

jmcg
4th July 2008, 23:27
Yes Tony - turned the grey matter back and suspected it might be him. Never sailed with him though. As mentioned in these pages their legacy sometimes went before them. Nice one Pat on Aussie Burke. Whistling was taboo on a Bluie. Ever come across Mattie O' Conner ?

BW

John

tony poutch
5th July 2008, 01:36
Yes Tony - turned the grey matter back and suspected it might be him. Never sailed with him though. As mentioned in these pages their legacy sometimes went before them. Nice one Pat on Aussie Burke. Whistling was taboo on a Bluie. Ever come across Mattie O' Conner ?

BW

John
WOULD he be from WEXFORD ,known as MATTIE ,given name .EUGENE Ithink he was a leading seaman when i was with him,

jmcg
5th July 2008, 09:30
No no!

Mattie was from Liverpool. The scourge of many a Chief Officer. Had a history of "going adrift" in Singapore and Hong Kong. I can recall him returning in the wee small hours of a Chrismas Day morning in HK. I was night watchman and became aware of some "activity" . On checking the source noticed Mattie stark naked on the jetty except for a spanish type sombrero and his guitar. Mattie never had a knife or spike - just a good old Fender guitar. He was giving a good rendition of Jingle Bells - enough to wake a number of the officers including the Chief Engineers wife.

I seem to recall it was the "leckie" who helped me get Mattie back on board before he flaked out in the "Rec Room".

Mattie had a series of loggings on that trip - at least 4 for being adrift. Capt Edwards scrubbed all of them before we paid off. A great ship, great Master, great Mates and a great crew. George Birch was Bosun, Fred Ball (Lampie). Autolycus 68 -70.

BW

J.

tony poutch
5th July 2008, 09:51
No no!

Mattie was from Liverpool. The scourge of many a Chief Officer. Had a history of "going adrift" in Singapore and Hong Kong. I can recall him returning in the wee small hours of a Chrismas Day morning in HK. I was night watchman and became aware of some "activity" . On checking the source noticed Mattie stark naked on the jetty except for a spanish type sombrero and his guitar. Mattie never had a knife or spike - just a good old Fender guitar. He was giving a good rendition of Jingle Bells - enough to wake a number of the officers including the Chief Engineers wife.

I seem to recall it was the "leckie" who helped me get Mattie back on board before he flaked out in the "Rec Room".

Mattie had a series of loggings on that trip - at least 4 for being adrift. Capt Edwards scrubbed all of them before we paid off. A great ship, great Master, great Mates and a great crew. George Birch was Bosun, Fred Ball (Lampie). Autolycus 68 -70.

BW

J.
Sorry now i have you ,it's just clicked i was thinking of Mattie ROCHE,different man altogether ,really nice lad and good seaman

Bill Davies
5th July 2008, 11:06
John & Tony,
I am sure you two can help me on this one. I can recall a certain Adrian Donnan 2nd Mate who had a very bad accident on the 'Antenor ' or 'Ajax' in the late 50s. Subsequent to his recovery he entered the Deck School and assisted Capt Harris, Kevin Eader and Dennis O'Brian. He was Ginger haired and had a very pronounced limp. Was he around when you men were in Odyssey Works

tony poutch
5th July 2008, 11:41
Hi BILL, yes he was siill there in 64,he was the one who set the test ,English ,Maths,for the boys when you went for interview to enter deck boy school,

Pat Kennedy
5th July 2008, 11:54

BW

John

John,
Mattie O'Connor, I'm not sure, but there was a Mattie Grey from Toxteth whose behaviour matches his. He once sent for his wife and four kids to join him in Glasgow on a coastwise Bluey,after they had apparently been evicted from the family home. He smuggled them aboard and they lived in the recreation room for a week before being discovered. Give Holts their due, they were sympathetic and paid for train tickets to return the family to Liverpool.
I sailed with him again on the Ivernia, and his antics in the Market Diner, dancing on the bar in his skiddies earned him loads of free beer from bemused Americans. His greatest exploit was to enter His Father's Moustache, the bar in Greenwich Village, with the plucked neck of a turkey hanging out of his flies. Several women fainted, the police were called, and Mattie spent the night in lock-up.
Pat

jmcg
5th July 2008, 19:49
Bill.

I concur with the comments from Tony.

Pat.

No, this is a different one.

BW

John

B

jmcg
7th July 2008, 12:09
Why was "The Ghoul" so named?

J.

Pat Kennedy
8th July 2008, 09:33
Why was "The Ghoul" so named?

J.

I believe it was because of his drawn features and general demeanour.
He kept very much to himself, but was often seen prowling round the ship in the dead of night. I was only with him once, coasting, but he seemed OK to me.
Pat

tony poutch
8th July 2008, 20:45
When i was on the IXION 1965 there was an ab who they called promdeckman ,first name Jack was getting on a bit ,used to do some paintings,quiet man anybody remember him

Bill Davies
8th July 2008, 20:52
Tony,
I think you have responded to Pat Kennedy's last in 'Job Titles' in this BF Thread.
Brgds

Bill

jmcg
8th July 2008, 21:44
Pat

That's scary.

John

Pat Kennedy
8th July 2008, 22:00
John,
No, Jack Cleary was the scariest bosun, him and Mick Austin on the same ship, It was like the Hammer House of Horrors,
Pat

jmcg
9th July 2008, 12:20
Bill/Pat/Tony

Have posted a query in B.F. Nostalgia on this site. You may have some recollections. Must get back to work now!!

J.

taffy166
13th July 2008, 10:28

If you go to this link, it will tell you about Willie Wood. He died in 2004 leaving 1.8 million pounds to his old school Gordonstoun.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20040914/ai_n12808106

Trident
28th February 2009, 02:32
Just wondered if anyone remembers John Deakin or know of his whereabouts, he was Second Engineer when I knew him, We also lived near each other when I lived in Birmingham so we often had a few beers together whenever we were home at the same time, I lost touch when I moved to Australia.

Allan James
6th March 2009, 09:53
Hi John,

I did four years with Blue flue joining as deck boy on the "Bellerophon" in 1952 after attending the Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey. I sailed with Tony Casson on the "Bellerophon", we were ordinary seamen together, I think that his father was also on Blue Flue.

I did six Far East trips on the "Bellerophon" apart from coasting her as well. our bosun was Bill Thomas from Amlych, Anglesey. A good bosun who looked after the deck boys and taught us a lot. His father, Griff Thomas had been a bosun before him I believe.

I left to go on the "Astyanax" where big Jake Cleary from Wicklow was bosun, another good seaman who liked his "pound of flesh" but was very fair, if you didn't get back in time to "turn to" when in Japan. He didn't report you as long as you were back by 7 am. It was 6 o'clock turn to in those days even in port.

I left to go on the "Neleus" as I fancied a trip to Aussie. Spud Murphy was bosun who unfortunately took ill in Sydney and Danny Proctor ,the Lampy, took over. Danny didn't want the bosuns job full time so our next bosun was Jimmy Mason from Wallasey, a character and a good bosun. Bill Davies knows the full story.

After four years I left Blueys to join Manchester Liners. What a culture change,

Alec.

I was middie on the Glenfalloch for a couple of trips with Tony Casson-was told that he had been killed, does anyone know more about this?

His father had also been with BF, Tony had some ship paintings he had done. They were very accurate and I always regret not getting one from him.

Regards

Allan

EBenarty
7th March 2009, 20:53
I was never with Blue Funnel but Ben Line , but to let you know a friend of mine passed away this week , George Wood from Findochty he was in Blue Funnel from Apprentice to Chief Officer.
Billy

EBenarty
7th March 2009, 21:04
I sailed with George Wood on the Automedon in the 50's and subsequently went to his wedding. He was from Port Nockie and his wife was from the same area. Unfortunately Janet died not long after they were married. George was a great shipmate with a hearty sense of humour. When he lapsed into the North East dialect he was hard to understand but I had sailed with a few from that area previously and "it wis nae bothe tae ken whit he said aboot the quines!!!"
Regards. Dugie

Dugie.
My friend George passed away this week. A great man he was full of humour !!
Billy

Santos
7th March 2009, 23:41
Just wondered if anyone remembers John Deakin or know of his whereabouts, he was Second Engineer when I knew him, We also lived near each other when I lived in Birmingham so we often had a few beers together whenever we were home at the same time, I lost touch when I moved to Australia.

Trident,

If you go to this site here (http://www.danieladamson.co.uk/dacontacts/contacts.htm) there is a John Deakin involved in the restoration of a tug, it could be him, just scroll down and you will come to his name and contact details he is the Working Party Coordinator .

Kind regards

Chris.

tony poutch
7th March 2009, 23:59
I was middie on the Glenfalloch for a couple of trips with Tony Casson-was told that he had been killed, does anyone know more about this?

His father had also been with BF, Tony had some ship paintings he had done. They were very accurate and I always regret not getting one from him.

Regards

Allan

I think that may have been his father on the Ixion used to do some nice ships paintings Jack Casson

Trident
9th March 2009, 12:13
Thanks Chris, I Will give it a try but I don't think that's him ......Al

jmcg
30th March 2009, 12:15
Alan #135

That has shocked me to the core!

I sailed with Tony Casson as bosun on Antilochus (2 voyages). One could not find a nicer bloke. A big chap who always wore either a revvie or a knotted hankerchief on his head.

Can any BF member confirm?

BW

J

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 09:19
Pat,
Now renowned for your excellent memory,can you identify a Carpenter who used to take the 'P' Class around the land by the name George. My long-standing memory of him is that he used enormous amounts of Optrex. Peggy was warn out running up the road in Shieldhall. A really excellent Carpenter.
Brgds
Bill

Pat Kennedy
9th April 2009, 10:36
Pat,
Now renowned for your excellent memory,can you identify a Carpenter who used to take the 'P' Class around the land by the name George. My long-standing memory of him is that he used enormous amounts of Optrex. Peggy was warn out running up the road in Shieldhall. A really excellent Carpenter.
Brgds
Bill.

Bill,
My memory is a capricious instrument these days. I can remember some inconsequential things like deckhead piperuns from fifty years ago perfectly, and forget what I ate for breakfast yesterday.
I dont, I'm afraid recall said chippy.
The only chippy I sailed with named George, was George Kalitkin on the Achilles, but his eyes were OK.
His son, also George was a shipwright in Cammell Laird and did go to sea at some stage.
The chippy I remember who coasted 'P' and 'H' class ships was Gordon Ford, the prototype grumpy old man.

Best Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 14:49

Bill,
The chippy I remember who coasted 'P' and 'H' class ships was Gordon Ford, the prototype grumpy old man.

Best Regards,
Pat

Pat,

Many thanks yours.

Gordon Ford is probably the man I was thinking of (tall ruddy complexion?)

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
9th April 2009, 16:11
Pat,

Many thanks yours.

Gordon Ford is probably the man I was thinking of (tall ruddy complexion?)

Brgds

Bill

I would call it a Whiskey complexion!
He was tall, well built always wore one of those peaked caps common in Amsterdam. He was a very good chippy, but was on a very short fuse, liable to go off like a bottle of pop at the slightest thing. I admired him simply because he detested Jack Cleary!

Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 16:35
I admired him simply because he detested Jack Cleary!

Regards,
Pat

Well Pat,

There we have to differ. I held Jack in high regard. Not the most sociable I will concede but, as well discussed in previous posts, he was one of the 'Big Three' and as such a sailor 'par excellence'
Your description of Gordon Ford would discount him from the George I was asking about.

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
9th April 2009, 17:35
Another bosun to whet the appetite- "Dutchy" {sorry don't remember his first name} Ditzel - a coasting man par excellence. Very good with the "job and finish" dunnage stacking, hold sweeping in Glasgow.

Usually up the road (ashore) for 6pm. Good with the pen too!

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
9th April 2009, 18:19
John,
Many a job and finish in Glasgow on hatch cleaning, but 18.00 beats all records. I think 19.30 finish, 20.15 sinking the first pint of heavy in Betty's was my personal best.
Did you ever have the all day poker school on a Sunday in Glasgow? It was an institution on 'P' and 'H' class, and a lot of money changed hands.
Bill,
I concede Jack Cleary was an excellent seaman, I just think his man management skills were a bit primitive,
regards to both,
Pat

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 18:19
John,
Never heard that name before!
Remember a Bosun by the name Theo Van De Bloom who lived in Liscard and, I believe,
a portrait/Photograph of the man hanging over the Bar at 'The Queens' (close Manor Road, Liscard)

Bill

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 18:21
Bill,
I concede Jack Cleary was an excellent seaman, I just think his man management skills were a bit primitive,
regards to both,
Pat

Pat,

Agreed
Brgds

Bill

jmcg
9th April 2009, 18:25
Bill

Yes, coasted with De Bloom -heavy Dutch accent. Amazing! Never heard his name mentioned until now.

Pat:

The "boobie" is hovering - yes I was part of that Poker School. Never lost the appetite for the game . Schh! Must go!

J

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 18:32
John/Pat,
All these name we are mentioning reminds me of a pub in New Brighton called the 'Sandridge'(Yates's house). Many of us ABs use to congregate in the bar where the talk was 'ten ton gear' and 'frisco' rig'. In the back room (the parlour) all the Bosuns would meet up . Navy trilbies and navy gaberdine macks. You did not venture in there!!

Bill

jmcg
9th April 2009, 18:48
"Arranging" their next crowd perhaps?

BW

J

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 20:20
Never allowed into such hallowed circles.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
9th April 2009, 21:12
Bill,

I well remember the wide brimmed trilbys they wore, and the tightly belted dark blue macs, and it was an article of faith that they never smiled or showed any sort of emotion except maybe a smouldering impatience.
These were all men who had gone through the war as AB, and took their job, and life in general, very seriously indeed.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
9th April 2009, 21:22
Pat,

I would agree with everything you have said. Happy to be part of that era and sad to see its passing.

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
10th April 2009, 19:46
Does any one remember Terry Morgan from Wallasey who was AB in Blue Funnel.
I sailed with Terry in the Memnon when I was JOS, and he was a great bloke, a good sailor and a good friend.
In November 1979, Terry was bosun on the Pool Fisher, when she sank in heavy weather 25 miles South of the Isle of Wight. Terry went down with the ship. After rousing the watch below and getting them on deck, he went back below to see if there was anyone else, and never made it up again.
There were only two survivors, the men Terry had wakened.
He was a brave man.
regards,
Pat

Trader
10th April 2009, 23:57
I didn't know Terry Morgan Pat but I have read the story of the Pool Fisher. It is on the British Merchant Navy web site, it was put on there by Brian Aspinall (aka Captain Kong) who is a prolific writer on there and also on the Yo Liverpool site.

Brian was 2nd. mate on an Esso coaster which was in the vicinity and he had to go to the inquiry. Brian is from Bolton but sailed out of Liverpool and he did a couple of trips on the Blueys in the 50's. He writes a damn good story.

If you go to the BMN site just type in Pool Fisher in the search box.

Terry was a very brave man and a good shipmate according to the survivors.

Alec.

PADDY
12th April 2009, 10:58
Hi JMCG
Talking about bosuns ,Good and bad, I did 3 trips on Hector with Joe Bates, in 60/61 as JOS/SOS. He had a reputation of being hard on deck boys and Os's. But I found him to be a very fair man. Once in Fremantle I had a small accident when someone dropped a chipping hammer on my head( no helmets then!). Ship's nurse(doctor?) patched me up and told me to take the rest of the day off. Naturally I disappeared up the road to the nearest pub. (I think they used to have a kangaroo in an enclosure at the back). Anyway Joe found out about me, came after me and ran me back to the ship with the words,"you've not got the will power of a louse!"

Another bosun I sailed with, (ship and bosun shall remain nameless!) seemed to take a dislike to me , can't think why! He sent me up to blacken down the fore topmast stay, which is fair enough, but it was in Kobe!! I had a massive hangover from the night before and I still have nightmares when I remember trying to get my chair around the anchor block.

Paddy

Bill Davies
13th April 2009, 20:32
Kobe was indeed a strange place to be 'blackening down'. This job was often reserved for the homeward canal transit and could be seen as 'pay back time'.
Another way of saying that you were not going to be invited back and let see how you like cleaning the tar of your hands for the next several days.

Brgds

Bill.

jmcg
15th April 2009, 18:02

That would be Joe. Had a good command of choice vocabulary and hyperbolic language. Fair, yes but a hard task master.

You were very fortunate in only being "run" back to Hector for another trip. Deck boys & o/s were usually "run out" of Hector for good. It was an accepted consequence of 1st and 2nd trippers.

Odyssey and India Buildings were alert, familiar and sympathetic to the unfortunates - usually offering an A, M or P class for the next trip. It restored a degree of confidence in one's being.

I admired JB for his seamanship and man management abilities - excluding peggies and o/s of course.

Bw

J

Bill Davies
15th April 2009, 18:41
Well John,

As I have said before I never was able to get on one of the Australian ships knew Joe Bates by reputation only and that was good. When, I first visited Aus, it was as Second Mate (63) and I then understood why it was so difficult to get job in the China Boats running down there.
Brgds

Bill

deckboypeggy
18th April 2009, 13:09
Kobe was indeed a strange place to be 'blackening down'. This job was often reserved for the homeward canal transit and could be seen as 'pay back time'.
Another way of saying that you were not going to be invited back and let see how you like cleaning the tar of your hands for the next several days.

Brgds

Bill.

Hi Bill i well remember blacking downthe fore stay when i was a first trip [peggy] on the PATROCULUS] 1960 i often wonderd why, now i know the lampie didnt like me ,because i called him TORCHY THE BATTERIE BOY] he used to drink guinness and tonic or grapefruit juice mixed and i would clean his cabin,also these crusted glasses. things you remember. ..well i did come from the Banbury area not from the bluie area however i loved while i was there.ps i still had to fetch the meals with black hands as with the other peggys there was4 of us in one cabin,

Bill Davies
19th April 2009, 11:30
Was this 'Torchy' name a name you gave the Lampy of was it a name he was generally known as. The reason I ask is that it is registering with me. I have heard that 'Torchy' name before.

Bill

jimtar17
19th April 2009, 22:35

BW

John
I remember Ossie Burke ,he was my room mate on either Adrastus or Alcinous cant remember which . that was in the late 1950s. Its true about the girls name on his todger 10 of them !! . he also had tattoos of females reaching up his inner thigh hands upstretched. From what I recall he was quite a decent bloke when sober. But he did drink a lot.and was `on report` a few times . Cheers from Jim

Bill Davies
19th April 2009, 22:48
I sailed with Ozzie around the same time. He must have been in his mid 70s then, which would make him in his mid 80s when John Mc sailed with him.
Incredible!

Bill

jmcg
20th April 2009, 09:16
Only "coasted" with him in '66/67. He was old then - exactly how old I cannot tell. Not much movement in him and certainly no hatch work.

Bw

J

Pat Kennedy
20th April 2009, 10:05
I did a voyage with him in 1958, and he was probably mid-sixties then. at that time he was as fit as a fiddle. I saw him climb the foremast to the cross trees with a coil of wire on his shoulder.
He was certainly an able bodied seaman at that time.
I was with him again round the land on the Agapenor or Aeneas,about five years later and he was no different
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Bill Davies
20th April 2009, 18:22
Pat,
I am a little surprised that Ozzie was the age you say. He used to frequently talk about various sailing ship companies he had sailed in at the turn of the century which got people putting him at 70+ in the late 50s.

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
20th April 2009, 18:54
Bill,
It was just my estimate of his age after spending three months with him. He certainly didnt appear to be any older than I am now, 51 years later!
I remember the first day on board he gave me a clip round the ear for whistling at him to attract his attention. he was treated with a good deal of respect by the other ABs, as a very knowledgeable seaman.
Best Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
20th April 2009, 19:44
Pat,

I only went around the land with him and I think he was night watchman. So, I cannot claim to have known him well or for any length of time. I do recall he used to keep us all engrossed with his sailing ship experiences.

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
20th April 2009, 20:10
If Pat's estimate is correct he must have been mid to late 70s when I sailed with him.

If Bill's estimate is correct then he was in his 80s on Clytoneus/Autolycus in 67/68.

Surely a candidate for Age Concern - even in those days.

Bill

If an old AB of Aussies age entered your day room to sign articles would you sign him on?

BW

J

Bill Davies
20th April 2009, 20:44
John,
As I approach my dotage that is a difficult one. I have always advocated that if a man can do the job that is all that is required. However, may I turn the question somewhat. If, a man of Ozzies age presented himself for an ABs position on a ULCC or similar I would have no hesitation. I have signed on many Caribs of around his age which made up a good amount of the NBC Pool. If however,we are talking about a heavy working ship like a China Boat. NO!

Brgds

Bill

jmcg
20th April 2009, 20:46
Thanks Bill - a good answer.

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
20th April 2009, 20:49
I can picture Aussie Burke now. Five foot three in his socks, he always wore a disreputable black beret, and had a large yellow handlebar moustache, Most of the time he was raucously cheerful and good humoured but now and then he was afflicted by 'the black dog' and in these foul moods you learned to stay clear of him.
The story about his tattoed todger is true but probably exaggerated. It was his own name that was said to feature, not that of a girl, and as nobody knew what his real name was, no one could say what the tattoo said. I was in the sailors bathroom once awaiting my turn in the shower, when Aussie emerged, and the todger in question was in full view for a few seconds. Everybody stole a glance at it but the general consensus was it was just an indecipherable greeny blue blur. I for one had no inclination to ask him!

jmcg
20th April 2009, 21:07
Three more BF chaps that I have fond memories of:

Joe Townend (Townsend) AKA "The Wicked Chicken" and Jimmy Lofthouse - both Leading Seamen.

George Birch (Bosun).Heard that George suffered greatly in the early 80's and had to have both legs amputated. Much respected Bosun of the old school.

BW

J

Bill Davies
20th April 2009, 22:22
I heard about George Birch. Very sad.

Bill

Argyll
5th October 2009, 15:02
Does any one remember Terry Morgan from Wallasey who was AB in Blue Funnel.
I sailed with Terry in the Memnon when I was JOS, and he was a great bloke, a good sailor and a good friend.
In November 1979, Terry was bosun on the Pool Fisher, when she sank in heavy weather 25 miles South of the Isle of Wight. Terry went down with the ship. After rousing the watch below and getting them on deck, he went back below to see if there was anyone else, and never made it up again.
There were only two survivors, the men Terry had wakened.
He was a brave man.
regards,
Pat

Thanks for that I had the privilage of sailing with Terry for almost 2 years on the Degema I spent many a night in his house and knew his wife and two young daughters his x brother in law was telling me about terrys brave act I left the company and area and lost touch, but agree terry was a fine man. Argyll

frankie77
15th October 2009, 09:20
Quote: Blue Funnel Bosuns

John :Unquote

John,
I would suggest with respect that the BF legends had more or less retired or passed away by the time your profile suggests plus one or two names who were AB with me (Casson). Jack Cleary was a good Bosun and a nice man as well as was Jimmy (Butch) Mason

Bill

Bill

I knew i i read enough on here soe name would ring a bell Mason was bosun on the peleus1960 when i done my 1st voyage ,Dont remember hardly any i sailed with , but i do know the lamptrimmer was called Perry so Perry mason stuck with me :)

frankie77
15th October 2009, 09:23
I knew i i read enough on here some name would ring a bell Mason was bosun on the Peleus1960 when i done my 1st voyageas a peggy ,Dont remember hardly any i sailed with , but i do know the lamptrimmer was called Perry so Perry Mason stuck with me .
Would like to hear from anyone around that time who remembers more than me ,My name is Frank Forshaw

Trader
15th October 2009, 18:23
I sailed with Jimmy Mason on the Neleus in 1955/56 on the Aussie run when he was bosun. A good man. I sailed with a Ch. Cook called Bill Forshaw on the Bellerophon in 1952/53. Any relation Frank ?

Alec.

Hugh Ferguson
15th October 2009, 18:51
Please could somebody put names to these two characters. I took the photo in early 1947 aboard the Stentor. Lamps on the left, bosun on the right.

Pat Kennedy
16th October 2009, 11:06
Hugh,
The bosun resembles Bert Trapnell who was bosun on the Nestor when I sailed in her in 1960, but I'm not 100% certain.
Regards,
Pat

PADDY
16th October 2009, 14:08
While we're on this thread does anyone remember the name of the bosun on Demodocus in the early 60's.

He was a Manxman and I believe he was on Automedon when she was sunk by a German raider.
This bosun was a real gentleman and gave me my love of rum, (Four Bells!) can't seem to get it anymore.
I can't for the life of me remember his name.

Paddy

Hugh Ferguson
16th October 2009, 19:07
Pat, Bert Trapnell doesn't ring a bell with me. I'm certain he was a Scot:we saw a lot of him in the Stentor half-deck as liked dropping in on us after work to tell us another lurid story-Jock Main sticks in my mind but I cannot be sure.
Lamps, I'm pretty sure was a Scoucer. All the best, Hugh

Pat Kennedy
17th October 2009, 13:12
Hugh,
Looking back, I think there was a stereotype BF bosun. A thin wiry grey haired man with leathery skin, the product of too many months and years on deck in the tropics. Although there were exceptions, many of them fitted this description.
I bumped into an ex BF engineer yesterday who was on the Stentor in the fifties and I asked him could he remember the bosun.
He described the above 'generic' bosun, but couldn't recall his name.
Regards,
Pat

Hugh Ferguson
17th October 2009, 22:08
Another thumbnail of "Lamps", aboard the maiden voyage Stentor, in Jan. 1947

Tom Inglis
27th October 2009, 13:04
Anyone remember Jack Abbiss?

Yes Hugh that name rings a bell from the passed . He was assistant super in Glen Line at KGv dock with Pin Head Collins and Capt Dowie. Crossed trhe bar by now I expect. Another from thet era was Paul Waters also KGv and I am in contact with him. He was at the Blue Funnel Dinner last year.
Regards
Tom Inglis

teb
27th October 2009, 15:11
Yes Hugh that name rings a bell from the passed . He was assistant super in Glen Line at KGv dock with Pin Head Collins and Capt Dowie. Crossed trhe bar by now I expect. Another from thet era was Paul Waters also KGv and I am in contact with him. He was at the Blue Funnel Dinner last year.
Regards
Tom Inglis

Tom -what period are you talking about? I spent time in the Glen Line office at KGV when Capt Baxter Jones was Marine SuptCan not remember who was Engr.Supt at the time but Catering Supt was F? Farnworth . Regards Teb.

Tom Inglis
2nd November 2009, 10:22
Tom -what period are you talking about? I spent time in the Glen Line office at KGV when Capt Baxter Jones was Marine SuptCan not remember who was Engr.Supt at the time but Catering Supt was F? Farnworth . Regards Teb.

Hi Teb, the person I was referring to was Jack Abiss and the time I am referring to was the late 50's. I sailed on my first trip as middy on Monmouthshire Voy 1 [she had just transferrd from Telemachus] in Nov 1957. That was followed by trips on Radnorshire then Glenfruin. I think it was about 1959 when I first sailed on a Bluey and that was maiden voyage of Machaon which i joined at the Caledon Yard. I don't remember capt Baxter. Maybe before my time.

Regards
Tom

steve goldswain
1st December 2009, 02:54
i sailed with bosun kennady he was a right prat some one had a dump on a bit of paper and shoved it behind his vent in his cabin it took a week to find out were the stink came from the poor peggy got hell every day from him:sweat:

steve goldswain
1st December 2009, 03:13
i sailed round the coast with paddy crumbling and his son john both staunch orange men paddy had been in changi during the war took of a bluey so they say he was a right piss head pinched a case from under me bunk but you couldnt help likeing him he was coming back from shore with some piss and the skipper wouldnt let him bring it on board so he sat on the bollard at the gangway and drank it(capt dunlop was the skipper i think) his son john was a right nice feller

Peter Trodden
23rd December 2009, 11:15
Paddy, The Manx Bosun was Dan Corlett. I was with him ,56-57 on Demodocus. Sorry this is a late reply but not long joined this fascinating site. More from me later, when i get the hang of this P.C. Thingie. all the Best,

PADDY
12th February 2010, 20:07
Hi Peter,
My turn to apologise for lateness of reply.

Thanks for information on Dan Corlett, one of natures gentlemen!!

Regards
Paddy

bitterlakes67
15th February 2010, 19:18
Does anyone remember a Blue Flue guy they called "Gorgeous George". Was only in his presence once and did not know his surname,but what a charactor. Think he was an Engineer.
Regards, Gra.

Hi Graham long time no speak, computer been out of action for a bit.
I think remember a 2nd Engineer[a Geordie] by that name he was as tight as a "Ducks !!!" when it came to his round. On one voyage [Memnon] we were so fed up with him we put a crate of ale on his account and invited him to have a drink with us.
He was married I think and had a huge policy with "Nat Mutual of OZ" [at least equal to half my then monthly wage in the mid 60's]. Mine paid out well [just before the recession hit and I often wondered if George picked his up [It must have been a fair wack if he did].

Gong he fat choi to all
bitterlakes67

john fraser
22nd February 2010, 07:47
Capt.Pat Young passed away on Friday 19th.Feb.age 77

Barber Hector
7th March 2010, 19:31
I am sorry to hear about Pat Young. I sailed with him when he was C/O on the US run on super P's and also as Master on the Barber Line ships up to the end.
Nice chap. Great character. Good shipmate.

deckboypeggy
16th March 2010, 18:24
Hi to all BF EXdeck hands LOST,oneA.B.by the name of NORMAN SKEGGS, last known address, Aldersty rd Hoylake..untill 1968??was best man at A GELDER wedding in1961
please any information would be welcome.

masonburt
14th July 2010, 23:30
any body remember a bosun name of joe kane

DURANGO
15th July 2010, 08:21
any body remember a bosun name of joe kane Could that be Joe Keig from the isle of mann I was with him I beleive it was the Agapenor he was an a.b . at the time that would have been in 62

Suentimb
18th December 2010, 17:58

Hi...
I have a picture of a George Wood on deck with John Walker and my dad Allan Bickerdike. Picture attached.

Tim B

The Dog
21st February 2011, 15:17
Another thumbnail of "Lamps", aboard the maiden voyage Stentor, in Jan. 1947

Could be George (Hadgi) Donnely, sailed with him and bosun Charlie Taylor in Lycaon 1958. He died of a heart attack while coasting a P boat to Glasgow, a lovely "gentleman" in every sense of the word.

The Dog
21st February 2011, 15:24
Hi Graham long time no speak, computer been out of action for a bit.
I think remember a 2nd Engineer[a Geordie] by that name he was as tight as a "Ducks !!!" when it came to his round. On one voyage [Memnon] we were so fed up with him we put a crate of ale on his account and invited him to have a drink with us.
He was married I think and had a huge policy with "Nat Mutual of OZ" [at least equal to half my then monthly wage in the mid 60's]. Mine paid out well [just before the recession hit and I often wondered if George picked his up [It must have been a fair wack if he did].

Gong he fat choi to all
bitterlakes67

Might be Michael George Carnival Marshall, the naughtiest man to sail the seven seas, a baddie who could charm the birds off the trees. The Pied Piper of the ocean. He was such great company but truly wicked man.

kudu
21st February 2011, 18:15
Although I did'nt sail with Blue flu,I was at South Shields marine colledge doing a course with a Blue Funnel deck cadet called Ian Godber.His father was Hong Kong chief of police,I think,or some other top police job in Hong Kong.Something must have gone amiss later because I saw Ian Godber and His father on the BBC news sometime in the 70's.Does anyone know what happened to him?Did he stay with Blue Funnel?I knew him in early 1968

Hugh Ferguson
25th February 2011, 19:34
I've only just learned today, 25th Feb. that my old shipmate from 60 years ago, Marcus Stone, died on 27th Dec.. That has come as a big shock to me as the last time I heard from him was just prior to Christmas when he rang to tell me his wife, Pamela, had died.
Since then I have posted many items to him which I thought may bring a crumb of comfort, but never received any acknowledgment nor an answer to 'phone calls.
Leaves me wondering if any other shipmate of Marcus heard this sad news before reading about it in the Blue Funnel Assoc. newsletter.
(Another report, from Nestorian editor, states that Mark died on the 22nd Dec. 2010)

Hugh Ferguson
26th February 2011, 20:07
I've only just learned today, 25th Feb. that my old shipmate from 60 years ago, Marcus Stone, died on 27th Dec.. That has come as a big shock to me as the last time I heard from him was just prior to Christmas when he rang to tell me his wife, Pamela, had died.
Since then I have posted many items to him which I thought may bring a crumb of comfort, but never received any acknowledgment nor an answer to 'phone calls.
Leaves me wondering if any other shipmate of Marcus heard this sad news before reading about it in the Blue Funnel Assoc. newsletter.
(Another report, from Nestorian editor, states that Mark died on the 22nd Dec. 2010)

Click HERE (www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/45689/title/watchkeepers-2c-m-v-glen/cat/500) for a photo of Mark Stone 4/O, and his fellow watchkeepers in the Glenroy 1950. L to R. Ferguson; McClachlan; Stone. (Voy.17)

DURANGO
2nd March 2011, 08:59
I sailed with Joe in the Agapenor in 1962 at the time he was an a.b. in her as I was I beleive he was from the Isle of Mann I did hear that he later became bosun in a bluey I would love to pick up with him all the best Dave .

dave hind
2nd March 2011, 14:27
No Trev. his name was albert Farquar. thats on the back of the football team photo

i remeber albert he was an excellent fotballer i think it was the Astynax that i was a middy on he was 2nd mate i played in the team

dave hind
2nd March 2011, 14:34
Still got the photo of Glengarry Football team. Albert was a super defender, I was Golie.

on checking my discharge book i was middy on the Glengarry in 1958 i wonder if Im on that photo

Tudor Owen
4th April 2011, 14:45
Hi, I'm new to this site, interested in finding out more about my great uncle, who was a Captain with the Blue Funnel line until about 1946/7. His name was Gwilym Roberts and had the nickname 'Dogface'! Ring any bells with anyone?
Tudor

R58484956
4th April 2011, 16:52
Greetings Tudor and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Julian Calvin
6th April 2011, 11:26
Lucky enough to do the trip on the 'new' Myrmidon when we had a French government charter.
From Meddy to Panama, on to Tahiti then Moururoa (spelt wrong) atoll (nuclear testing ground) (partying with the Legionaires),New Caledonia (beautiful young french girls on the beaches) and New Hebrides (tasty land crabs in the restaurants). French supercargo provided wine every Sunday. Wonderful trip, especially for those of us used to the West Coast.
Boson was Kenny Dunn and Tommy Youp, lampy. Am still in touch with Tommy

PADDY
6th April 2011, 20:10
Hello Julian,
Sailed with Tommy sometime in the 60' can't remember which ship, I would have been JOS/SOS at the time.
Nice guy.
Give my regards

Paddy

Cairo
11th June 2011, 16:20
I am ex Ocean Fleets (a bit young for the real Blue funnel) but strangely enough I knew a Jim Geddie in Noble Denton, ex Blue flu, buckie Area etc. we did rig moves together then he retired a few years back 2005 ?. Too much to be a co-incidence so guess he si the Jim Geddie referred.

Cairo
11th June 2011, 16:22
Hi jac, AD DP trial finished so registered.

Keith Park
11th September 2011, 02:54
Ian Godber & I sat next to each other at schoo in Hong Kongl. I introduced him into the MN with Ben Line, not Blue Flu while he was hanging around Brighton looking for some sort of a job. He was last heard of on the West African coast on Supply ships. I wrote to him about a year ago but no reply.
Any other info would be great. He was quite a character.

jimtar17
16th November 2011, 00:21
I can picture Aussie Burke now. Five foot three in his socks, he always wore a disreputable black beret, and had a large yellow handlebar moustache, Most of the time he was raucously cheerful and good humoured but now and then he was afflicted by 'the black dog' and in these foul moods you learned to stay clear of him.
The story about his tattoed todger is true but probably exaggerated. It was his own name that was said to feature, not that of a girl, and as nobody knew what his real name was, no one could say what the tattoo said. I was in the sailors bathroom once awaiting my turn in the shower, when Aussie emerged, and the todger in question was in full view for a few seconds. Everybody stole a glance at it but the general consensus was it was just an indecipherable greeny blue blur. I for one had no inclination to ask him!
Hi Bill , I have a photo of Aussie burke and other deck crew members on a Blue Funnel in the late 1950s , but dont know where or how to submit for all to see .
regards Jim Parker

john g
18th November 2011, 14:21
Anyone remember Paul Edmunds app eng at Birkenhead Tech mid 60s. His dad was a captain with Blue Funnel

tom roberts
18th November 2011, 22:29
My cousin Derek Roberts was with Blue Funnel but unfortunatley he was killed in Glasgow when I believe he fell down the hatch, Derek was from Ruthin North Wales and is buried at Llanfwrog Church Ruthin,does anyone remember him I understand he ws well liked.

tom roberts
19th November 2011, 12:46
I made a mistake Derek is buried at Llanrythd Church Ruthin,also does anyone remember Peter Hambleton unfortunatly Peter passed away some years back.

Hugh Ferguson
19th November 2011, 14:58
Can anyone put names to these two who were Lamps and Bosun in the Stentor, maiden voyage 1946/47?

Pat Kennedy
19th November 2011, 16:10
Hugh,
It was suggested earlier in this thread that the Lampy, (on the left) is George Donnely.
Although I wasn't immediately convinced, I now believe this is correct.
I sailed with him on the Myrmidon in July/August 1964 when we took the ship out of lay up on the River Fal. We sailed to Avonmouth and drydocked her in Mountstewart Drydock. The lampy went ashore to the yard's toilets one night and never returned. He was discovered dead in the cubicle the next morning.
A lousy end to a long life at sea.
regards,
Pat

johntforrester
24th November 2011, 17:59
My cousin Derek Roberts was with Blue Funnel but unfortunatley he was killed in Glasgow when I believe he fell down the hatch, Derek was from Ruthin North Wales and is buried at Llanfwrog Church Ruthin,does anyone remember him I understand he ws well liked.

Hi Tom, I sailed with derek on i think the aeneas mid sixties, i heard later through the blu flu grapevine he had been sent to clear and stack dunnage in no 1 hatch on a vessel in glasgow and had gone down to first tweendeck then fell into lower hold killing himself, this type of work was normally done after dockers finished for the day and poor or no lighting was the problem i was told, he was a really good guy and was saving up to buy a car during the voyage [hope he got it], also was his father lord mayor of ruthin at some point ?, as although blue flue was the welsh navy there was not many from ruthin more anglesea and lleyn, he could have been only 19 to 21 years old i would say, take care and regards

tom roberts
27th November 2011, 19:47
Thank you John for your information regarding my cousin Derek yes his dad was once the Mayor of Ruthin he was an ex Royal Navy man serving on the Russian run during the war he was a good man but the loss of Derek broke him I dont think he was ever the same again.

tom roberts
27th November 2011, 19:53
Hugh my wife thinks that one of the two men might be her first husbands father a Douglas Jardine who she thinks also that he ended up in Blue Funnel rigging loft,anyone out there who remembers him.

TonyAllen
27th November 2011, 23:50
Tom. I seem to remember a Douglas Jardine took the famous bodyline team to Ausie for the test series years ago and was the subject of a very good TV
program Tony

Hank
23rd December 2011, 12:20
Hi, I'm new to this site, interested in finding out more about my great uncle, who was a Captain with the Blue Funnel line until about 1946/7. His name was Gwilym Roberts and had the nickname 'Dogface'! Ring any bells with anyone?
Tudor
The Outward Bound Trust are looking for information on your great uncle. Can you help?
John

owatson
22nd February 2012, 16:51
Hi, do any of you remember Michael Rennie? He joined Blue Funnel as a Junior Engineer in 1962, he eventually became a Third Engineer and sailed aboard the MV Glenartney in 1966. Would bo good to hear from anyone who may have known him.

Many thanks

DURANGO
25th February 2012, 07:33
Could be George (Hadgi) Donnely, sailed with him and bosun Charlie Taylor in Lycaon 1958. He died of a heart attack while coasting a P boat to Glasgow, a lovely "gentleman" in every sense of the word. Theres a name from the past Charlie Taylor he was bosun in the Agapenor when I did my first voyage with Blue Funnel a fine man I had my 20th birthday aboard her Charlie told me to take the day off and get myself a case of beer he was truly one of a kind .

China sea Pilot
17th April 2013, 02:26
Made this post initially in the wrong thread (Ceylon/Sri Lanka).
Anyone out their remember Paddy Hartnett and Don Troupe. Similar seniority, promoted Ch.Off mid 1960.

richardwakeley
17th April 2013, 09:12
G'day "China Sea Pilot",

Like you, I'm ex-BF and Jardines, and in HK. You remember me?

Rgds,
Richard

China sea Pilot
17th April 2013, 10:29
G'day "China Sea Pilot",

Like you, I'm ex-BF and Jardines, and in HK. You remember me?

Rgds,
Richard

I do indeed Richard. I have pm'd you.

Len

The Dog
17th April 2013, 17:34
Made this post initially in the wrong thread (Ceylon/Sri Lanka).
Anyone out their remember Paddy Hartnett and Don Troupe. Similar seniority, promoted Ch.Off mid 1960.

Took Theseus to lay up in King Harry Ferry. Paddy H was mate. During previous voyage around Aussie coast he relieved the Old Man of his command for being constantly incapable. The Old Man was recently out of rehab and this was his first trip back. He became dangerous and Paddy relieved him. The Old Man immediatly got a razor, cut his throat, and jumped over the side.

The Bosun was Ginger Pollitt, Lamp trimmer North East Roberts and George Dalziel was carpenter. Paddy was of the opinion his career with AH was over saying no Old Man would have him as Mate. What an awful decision to have to make.

After Theseua I never saw him again.

The Dog.

jmcg
17th April 2013, 18:09
Ah N.E. Roberts - a gentleman Bosun. Always paid off skint when I was with him

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

red lead
17th April 2013, 20:13
From the best of memory the Goul was Harry Evans. He was Bosun of the Pyrrhus for most of the Sixties. Don't know about driving buses during his leave but like all Bosuns in the Blue Funnel he got there because he was an excellent sailor
Hague

The Goul s name was Bert Evans he was about two feet taller than Harry Evans

jmcg
18th April 2013, 10:50
Who are you CSP?

Help us out by populating your profile and re-instating your "Background" data.

China sea Pilot
19th April 2013, 00:57
Took Theseus to lay up in King Harry Ferry. Paddy H was mate. During previous voyage around Aussie coast he relieved the Old Man of his command for being constantly incapable. The Old Man was recently out of rehab and this was his first trip back. He became dangerous and Paddy relieved him. The Old Man immediatly got a razor, cut his throat, and jumped over the side.

The Bosun was Ginger Pollitt, Lamp trimmer North East Roberts and George Dalziel was carpenter. Paddy was of the opinion his career with AH was over saying no Old Man would have him as Mate. What an awful decision to have to make.

After Theseua I never saw him again.

The Dog.

Don't recall this incident. When did it happen as I left in 65 and would have some memory of such a tragedy.

jmcg
19th April 2013, 11:25
Don't recall this incident. When did it happen as I left in 65 and would have some memory of such a tragedy.

Was that when you left Bluies with a fresh 2nd mates ticket Bill?

j

China sea Pilot
19th April 2013, 11:31
Was that when you left Bluies with a fresh 2nd mates ticket Bill?

j

What on earth a you talking about?

jmcg
19th April 2013, 11:37
Tell us who your are.

China sea Pilot
19th April 2013, 12:05
Why don't you tell the site who you are as you appear to be some self appointed moderator. Inspection of your posts reveal that you make many allegations all based on the same theme. In the short time I have been a member Paddy, Fred and a Greek Capt have received similar mails. With respect I suggest you seek help. The vast majority of the site prefer to use log on names for their own reasons. In conclusion I left Glen Line in 1965 with a Masters(FG). Further, I was in 'Helenus' (a ship obviously dear to you) in the late 50s and find it sad that my memories are a little altered by individuals like you who seem to have free run on the site without any check by moderators.
So, My name is not Bill I do not live in Shropshire. Try focussing on something else and stop making a fool of yourself.

jmcg
19th April 2013, 12:23
Ouch Bill that really does hurt my soul.

To clarify and for the avoidance of any doubt - I am JMCG - a one account man here on s/n - not a moderator of any sort. Just one who cannot stand deception . I do of course find it easy to spot a troll.

J

gdynia
20th April 2013, 05:09
China Sea Pilot just for information no one has a free run on SN even Moderators. We try to look at every post possible and if anyone gets out of line i.e. slagging of each other they will be dealt with as per owners Site Rules. SN is a site to talk to old friends from the past so please be careful about making incorrect statements

DENIS.WILSON
23rd April 2013, 10:28
[QUOTE=Bill Davies;310332]John,
Remember a Bosun by the name Theo Van De Bloom who lived in Liscard and, I believe,
a portrait/Photograph of the man hanging over the Bar at 'The Queens' (close Manor Road, Liscard)
THE PHOTO STILL HANGS UP IN THE BAR PLUS HIS DUTCH FLAG

DENIS.WILSON
23rd April 2013, 10:34
John,

Bill
HIS PHOTO STILL HANGS UP IN THE BAR PLUS A FRAMED DUTCH FLAG STOREY GOES HE WAS TORPEDOS A COUPLE OF TIMES

jmcg
23rd April 2013, 10:46

I remember the incident well. Yes, he fell or tripped and then fell into the hatch below. Ajax or Atreus - cannot remember.

Coasted with Derek but not on either of the above. A sad and tragic loss.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

jmcg
23rd April 2013, 11:40
HIS PHOTO STILL HANGS UP IN THE BAR PLUS A FRAMED DUTCH FLAG STOREY GOES HE WAS TORPEDOS A COUPLE OF TIMES

It would appear that a small number of Dutchmen crossed over to the British flagged Blueies . Another name,(also Dutchman) was Dietzel (Duchy) .

Just like TVdB he was Bosun- coasted with each of them on Autolycus.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

tom roberts
23rd April 2013, 11:40
I remember the incident well. Yes, he fell or tripped and then fell into the hatch below. Ajax or Atreus - cannot remember.

Coasted with Derek but not on either of the above. A sad and tragic loss.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

Thank you for your help as you say it was a sad loss to all who knew him.His dad was a great man he was Mayor of Ruthin and an ex R.N. man he never got over the loss. I am going down to Ruthin today I will visit his grave and pay my respects. Thankyou again Tom Roberts.

tom roberts
23rd April 2013, 11:52
My Apologies regarding the place where my cousin Derek Robert is It is easy to find any of the local people will help you.

tom roberts
23rd April 2013, 11:55
Again I must apologise my posting The cemetery is at Llanrhyhd not Llanfwrog.