Sydney Harbour Ship Pics.

david
30th March 2006, 07:36
Put the thinking caps on, all old Sydney shipmates who can remember the shop in George Street where the 4 Seasons (ex Regent Hotel ) is now located, was a business that took pictures of every ship that came into Sydney.
I remember this because the photographs were taken from in front of my old school at Milsons Point.
The shop was near Andronicus Coffee (Which had the roaster in the front of their shop), and not far from the office of the Daily Shipping Newspaper.
What I would like to know, is does anybody know what became of the ( I would estimate), THOUSANDS of pics that must have accumulated on their premises over the years prior to the demolition of the little shops, to make way for the hotel.

Jim MacIntyre
30th March 2006, 21:12
Hello David
I'm not exactly an old Sydney shipmate but you might want to check into Bottom of the Harbour Antiques on George Street in the Rocks area. He has more nautical memorabilia than you can imagine. Possibly if another business affiliated with ships was 'going under', especially so close to his location he might have information.
I had the good fortune to be in Sydney in Feb this year and this shop was recommended by a friend - I was in there for several hours at least.
They were packing stuff to move to another location but would still be on George Street.
My guess is you are located in the area so well worth a visit. Leave your wallet at home on the first call - he is expensive.... I understand the owner spent about 10 years at sea on the hotel management side in cruise ships.

let me know if you visit..

Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

nzmatt
31st March 2006, 03:24
i am in sydney might be worth a vist will try next week before i come back home to nz for 2 weeks hoilidays yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee get out of this ratrace

nzmatt
31st March 2006, 03:26
102-104 George Street
THE ROCKS
NSW 2000
Australia
P: 02 9331 8377
F: 02 9331 8574

this might help

david
31st March 2006, 06:06
102-104 George Street
THE ROCKS
NSW 2000
Australia
P: 02 9331 8377
F: 02 9331 8574

this might help
Thanks Jim, but I live on the Sunshine Coast now and only get down to the "Big Smoke" for School Reunions, Weddings and Funerals. ( Notice the order I have typed that list !!) I have saved the address of that shop.
Many thanks,
David D.