SS. Persic

newnhamcolin
30th March 2006, 14:33
anyone remember the persic 9/11/60----4/5/61 my last ship

tanker
30th March 2006, 14:45
Ciao, I know but i am not a seaman only a passioned of merchant ship ,built 1949 by Cammel laird very similar to SUEVIC ,you'll surely find someone of those time!!!! (*))
Gp

hawkey01
30th March 2006, 15:22
Afternoon, have just posted picture of Persic in my Gallery. The file is too big to attach here. She was transferred to Royal Mail in 1969 and renamed Derwent.
Hawkey01

DURANGO
2nd April 2006, 15:51
i was never in the persic but sailed in suevic also i did the last voyage of the south american saint line in the saint essylt great little ship i had a mate on the illyric i think it was who sailed on the st john also took shaw savills athenic to the breakers sailed in numerous vessels in my 12 years at sea i took it all for granted be lucky mate

gdynia
2nd April 2006, 16:05

You will find some photos of her on following link

http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/persic_1.htm

john hughes
4th April 2006, 06:37
PERSIC was my first ship 1952 ,did several trips made some good friends.
cheers, John Hughes.

newnhamcolin
5th April 2006, 10:17
thanks fellas some good pics to download

newnhamcolin
5th April 2006, 10:19
[QUOTE=newnhamcolin]thanks fellas some good pics to download persic was a good ship when i was on her. a good feeder i dont know what happend to slow starvation.on that one

trevor page
5th April 2006, 18:54
Colin, in my book all things Shaw Swivvel, Persic 1949-1969, Built Cammel Laird Birkenhead< cost £1.4 million, sisters Suevic and Runic, Transferred to Royal Mail and broken up in Spain 1971, as a matter or interest Runic wrecked on a reef off Queensland and is still visable. And i came home DBS on the Suevic. TREVOR (Applause)

newnhamcolin
19th April 2006, 16:21
Colin, in my book all things Shaw Swivvel, Persic 1949-1969, Built Cammel Laird Birkenhead< cost £1.4 million, sisters Suevic and Runic, Transferred to Royal Mail and broken up in Spain 1971, as a matter or interest Runic wrecked on a reef off Queensland and is still visable. And i came home DBS on the Suevic. TREVOR (Applause)

hi trevor cheers i got my shipping list places i didnt know i went to on it. colin (Applause)

joe
20th April 2006, 21:21
Certainly do remember the Persic before she hit the reef. I was on the Suevic in 1958.Regards ,joe.

joe
20th April 2006, 21:33
Joe.
Sorry .Memory playing tricks.It was the Runic that hit Middleton reef.Joe

James Moir
26th April 2006, 02:24
Colin
I well remember the Persic, as in '62 to late '65 I was 1st Lecky on her. When were you there.
Jim Moir.

newnhamcolin
26th April 2006, 17:25
Colin
I well remember the Persic, as in '62 to late '65 I was 1st Lecky on her. When were you there.
Jim Moir.

you were on the persic just after me.i was on her 9/11/60 untill4/5/61 .

James Moir
1st May 2006, 13:38
Hi Colin
Some time back I visited the shawsavillships.co.uk website, and noted from looking at info. on Persic that she rescued the complete crew of the sinking Panamanian cargo ship "Pan Ocean" in the Med. between Cyprus and Crete in 1958. All the time I was on her, I never heard anyone mention this happening, which I now find strange. As you were on her nearer that time did you ever hear of this event, as it must have been a dramatic talking point for some time. Also she was the ss Persic, not mv.
Jim M.

newnhamcolin
2nd May 2006, 16:29
i cant say that i heared of a rescue on the persic. no one mentioned it at all .regards colin

bern1st
19th June 2006, 17:11
Hi Colin, I was on the Persic from March 1960 to August 1960, with a trip down under. If I remember, it was one of my more pleasant voyages. Best Regards Bernie Cleveland

Chris Wood
20th June 2006, 11:59
I remember the Persic well but I remember the Runic even better, I was deckboy on the Cretic berthed in Brisbane (1960 I think )when word came through that the Runic was aground on Middleton Reef. We loaded a lot of gear, large blocks and anchors etc plus a load of stores and sailed to the reef. We rigged twenty ton gear on the derricks at no. two hatch and, after working all night, discharged everything on to a tug that had arrived from Sydney, she in turn took it all to the Runic. However it was all in vain and her remains are still there today
Chris

billyboy248
3rd November 2006, 19:48
Hi shipmate, I was on the Persic from Sept 63 to Jan 64 Best thing about that trip was she took me to New Zealand again.

Ken Potts
27th February 2008, 13:49
took the persic to nz in august 1962 when a large amount of whisky went missing from one of the holds ?????

GWB
22nd March 2008, 10:41
Ken, the Same thing happened on the Suvic in 66 we sailed out of Glasgow fully load with the good sprit just after seamans strike there was a bit of shortage in NZ of the good stuff but crew had no problems. Not much left of the Runic now.

GWB

Viv
11th July 2008, 14:49
Hi Colin
Some time back I visited the shawsavillships.co.uk website, and noted from looking at info. on Persic that she rescued the complete crew of the sinking Panamanian cargo ship "Pan Ocean" in the Med. between Cyprus and Crete in 1958. All the time I was on her, I never heard anyone mention this happening, which I now find strange. As you were on her nearer that time did you ever hear of this event, as it must have been a dramatic talking point for some time. Also she was the ss Persic, not mv.
Jim M.

I was engineer apprentice on SS Persic late 65. I remember being told of the ship answering a distress call some years before and the speed it achieved doing it (I've forgotten what it was, but it was well in excess of its usual 17 knots). I don't remember any other details.
Viv A

tondav3137
8th October 2009, 20:51

Hi I was chippy on the Persic about that time, I will have to check my discharge book to be sure. was that the trip to Trincomalee then down to Townsvill, or was it the one taking supplies to Lima after the big Chillian earth quake, it must have been about that time. my name is Thomas Davies. known has Tony. I will dig my D/B out of the loft tomorrow to make sure.
All the Best Tony D

tondav3137
8th October 2009, 21:05
took the persic to nz in august 1962 when a large amount of whisky went missing from one of the holds ?????

I remeber it well. A stupid deck boy tried to walk through the gates in Auckland with a suit case full. and got pulled by the customs. Then they raided the ship and found wardrobes full of the stuff. I was chippy at the time. The best part was next day they had divers down bringing cases up out of dock much to the amusment of passengers on the Rangatoto tied up across from us. we left a few lads in jail there sadly and the others who where in possesion got finds. At the time there was only Auckland and Wellington with dock gate security if the lad had waited till Lyttleton or New Plymouth its quite pos that no one would have been had but some you win and some you don't
All the Best TonyD

borderreiver
8th October 2009, 21:36
I was JOS on her for a coastle voyage London newcastle hull then Liverpool.
Great ship and crew but bad feeder this was around jan 62.

tondav3137
16th April 2010, 21:20
Hi I was chippy on the Persic from 1960 to 1962 She was my last ship too came ashore and got wed. I found her a good ship with great crews, worked by a lot of SS&A including the Dominion Monarch took her to Antwerp to discharge during the dockers strike in London, Drop me a line, if you were on deck I might have some photo's of some of the lads during that period Best Regards Tony D

TEAPOT
3rd October 2011, 03:33

my first ship deckboy same dates, paid off liverpool

FIREMANFRED02
6th December 2012, 09:12
Hi ,to You All That Served On Ss Persic. Joined As A 3rd Fridg 29-10-62 In New Plymouth Via Galveston ,philadelpia,&new York. Snowed In,in Avonmouth For A Few Days,signed Off In Vic Docks 6-01-63. Great Memories Of Snow Ball Fights On The Way Back From The Pub In Avonmouth Cheers Trevor Davis

borderreiver
6th December 2012, 10:19
I was JOS on her late 61 for a coastal trip London to Liverpool via Newcastle and Hull

John King
6th December 2012, 14:12
I was on her from 64 to 66 had great time lot of great lads cheers

brandane
8th December 2012, 04:10
hi all you Shaw Savill guys ~ its about time you joined the Shaw Savill Society which has been operating since the Company finished operating as shipping company. We have two branches ~ one in UK and in NZ which has many Australian members. If interested please contact me ~ kind regards, Jamie ~ Shaw Savill Society NZ

TEAPOT
10th December 2012, 00:22
(K)anyone remember the persic 9/11/60----4/5/61 my last ship

sailed in PERSIC 9nov60--4may61,first trip deckboy,then on CORINTHIC 13jun61--3oct61,then on to other companies,left mn 67,out to oz to live,royal australian airforce(marine branch).

tondav3137
8th March 2013, 22:57

Hi there I was chippy on the Persic at that time, my name is Tony Davies, I did about 5 trips on her she was a great ship, .Left her June 1962, got married and stayed shore side. All the best tondav3137

Brian Brown
9th March 2013, 09:33

I joined Persic as 4th Eng. in Belfast 8th Oct 1960
Completed 4 Home Trade Runs and 2 Foreign Trade runs finally signing off Liverpool 20th Jan 1962.

FIREMANFRED02
9th March 2013, 11:45
Hi Brian, We Seem To Just Miss One Another, Sandy Lyle,2ndeng, Clem O,donahue Perhaps A 3rd. Clem Settled, Back In Australia. I Also Came Over To Australia In 1964. Cheers Trevor Davis

Brian Brown
1st May 2013, 06:13

I joined the TSS Persic in Belfast 8th October 1960 and signed off (after two memorable trips) in Liverpool 1st February 1962
I have been fortunate that via SN I have located 2 engineers from that time and will be catching up with them later this year when back in the UK.

tondav3137
15th May 2013, 17:07

Hi there I have seen your postings and have mentioned before that I was Chippy on her at that time, I found her a great ship, I finaly swallowed the hook about June 1962, my final trip in her and saddly the end of my time at sea. I am 76 now there cant be many lads about from those great days to Aus and NZ. in total I did about two and a half years in her. All the best Colin, Tony D

BobGrif
21st May 2013, 22:42
Anybody remember a great Company Carpenter .... Douglas Potter?

Brian Brown
7th June 2013, 05:39
Colin
Jim Moir.

Hi Jim
Did you relieve Doug Smith? He was there between Oct 1960 and Feb 62. I did 2 trips as 4th Eng on the mighty Persic during that period. Great ship...

Regards

Brian (Joe) Brown

Brian Brown
23rd August 2013, 14:01
Could we please change the title of this thread to TSS Persic....?

gadgee
26th August 2013, 19:23
Well spotted Brian - something I think we all missed.

alaric
27th August 2013, 14:45
Could we please change the title of this thread to TSS Persic....?
Well done Joe, this MV has been bugging me, thanks for the correction Gadgee.
However, the mistake does serve to recall the time when SS Persic met a real motorship, MV Dominion Monarch, all 32,000bhp of her.
It was in 1960 when the DM was nearing the end of her long homeward voyage from NZ to UK via Australia and South Africa when the London dockers called one of their frequent strikes. In addition to her 500 1st class passengers DM carried over 500,000 cub ft of refrig cargo, but maintaining a strict timetable for the passengers took priority. They disembarked at Southampton as was usual but instead of proceeding round to London, DM crossed over to Antwerp, to raft up to the waiting Persic. With amazing speed, the Belgian dockers transferred all the cargo in next to no time, thus allowing the DM to maintain her schedule when the London strike ended.
While we where together in Antwerp, I remember a Junior Purser giving a conducted tour of the DM’s palatial public rooms to a small group of us Persians. Does anybody remember that Cook’s tour? All the names have vanished from my hard disk!
At the end of the tour I remember taking a quick glance into the engineroom, but I think the sight of those 20 Doxford top pistons, even stationary, must have frightened me! It has remained a matter of regret that I didn’t take the opportunity to have a proper look at this unique engineroom. I really don’t know why.
Shaw Savill had realised for some years that this style of passenger/cargo ship could not be run at a profit, and this Antwerp incident illustrated why. The all passenger Southern Cross had been in service since 1955, and the DM would be taken out of service and replaced by Northern Star, then building on the Tyne, within two years. And a few years after that Boeing’s 747 put pay to passenger liner sailings to NZ altogether, but it was good to be at sea on these great ships while they lasted, nostalgia would not be what it is without them!

Brian Brown
1st September 2013, 14:16
Well done Joe, this MV has been bugging me, thanks for the correction Gadgee.
However, the mistake does serve to recall the time when SS Persic met a real motorship, MV Dominion Monarch, all 32,000bhp of her.
It was in 1960 when the DM was nearing the end of her long homeward voyage from NZ to UK via Australia and South Africa when the London dockers called one of their frequent strikes. In addition to her 500 1st class passengers DM carried over 500,000 cub ft of refrig cargo, but maintaining a strict timetable for the passengers took priority. They disembarked at Southampton as was usual but instead of proceeding round to London, DM crossed over to Antwerp, to raft up to the waiting Persic. With amazing speed, the Belgian dockers transferred all the cargo in next to no time, thus allowing the DM to maintain her schedule when the London strike ended.
While we where together in Antwerp, I remember a Junior Purser giving a conducted tour of the DMís palatial public rooms to a small group of us Persians. Does anybody remember that Cookís tour? All the names have vanished from my hard disk!
At the end of the tour I remember taking a quick glance into the engineroom, but I think the sight of those 20 Doxford top pistons, even stationary, must have frightened me! It has remained a matter of regret that I didnít take the opportunity to have a proper look at this unique engineroom. I really donít know why.
Shaw Savill had realised for some years that this style of passenger/cargo ship could not be run at a profit, and this Antwerp incident illustrated why. The all passenger Southern Cross had been in service since 1955, and the DM would be taken out of service and replaced by Northern Star, then building on the Tyne, within two years. And a few years after that Boeingís 747 put pay to passenger liner sailings to NZ altogether, but it was good to be at sea on these great ships while they lasted, nostalgia would not be what it is without them!

I'm fairly certain I was in on that session Dick. It looks as though it was between 8th Oct 1960 and 15th Nov 1960...more to chew over in Oxford...
Joe

Brian Brown
21st October 2013, 13:48
I'm fairly certain I was in on that session Dick. It looks as though it was between 8th Oct 1960 and 15th Nov 1960...more to chew over in Oxford...
Joe

Who would have thought that three engineers who met while serving on one of the Shaw Savill Line's Magnificent Seven twin screw steamers (Persic 1960) would once again wax lyrical after so many years (Oxford 2013)
Arranging mini reunions of this nature should be promoted while we still can.
So much is gained from what was really very little effort.
Thanks to Dick and Dave
Joe