Humber River (Scrapped under the name 'Vasco da Gama' around 1996)

lom_04170
31st March 2006, 11:10
My father worked on the "Humber River" (made in the netherlands, I think). He wants information and photos on this vessel. There is very limited information on the internet. He was based in based in brisbane (Queensland) and Karatha (Western Australia) (both locations in Australia. He would also like to discuss his other experiences on ships). Any assistance is appreciated.

benjidog
31st March 2006, 12:00
Welcome to SN,

I am unable to help you but we have a lot of members and maybe some of them can come up with the goods. We are not often stumped.

In the meantime take a look round the site as there is plenty to see here. Maybe your father would be interested in looking around too. There may be some people he knew.

Regards,

Brian

Gulpers
31st March 2006, 12:22
LOM,
......and a warm welcome to the site from me too! I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Hugh MacLean
31st March 2006, 12:28
Welcome to SN. I am sure you will enjoy the site.

Rgds

ruud
31st March 2006, 13:16
Ahoy Lom.....,

Here some details/piccie:

Name:Vasco da Gama
ex name: Humber River
Built:1971
Wharf:N.V.Werf "Gusto"-Schiedam
IMO:7036615
Call/Flag Sign:ORVH
Company:Jan de Nul N.V
P.o.R.Brugge
Flag:Belgium
LOA x B x D: 130.31 x 22.53 x 8.77
BRT:10.130
DWT:11.857
Eng:Werkspoor 2Vee Oil 4SA each 16Cy 410x470 16000bhp [11768kW]
Builder:Stork-Werkspoor Diesel NV-Amsterdam
Spd:15kn.
Details:
TM Hopper/Dredger
Trailing Suction Bottom doors
Twin side arms Dredging depths 30.0
Hopper 162 18T
1 HO ER 1Ho
Hopper 10 156
2 Sandpumps each 1765 kW[2400bhp]
Cr 1[20]

Arie Ros
16th November 2006, 09:27
Hoi Everybody
Here for the di harts the Humber River

gr Arie Ros

Arie Ros
16th November 2006, 09:35
Humber River again
gr Arie Ros

ruud
16th November 2006, 11:46
Ahoy,
Haven't seen lom_04710 for quite some time, as this thread was started in March the 21th,even no replies on the posted info/details and noticed that this was his one and only post, but here she is in another shot, haven't a clue where it came from, must be taken by one of these aerial companies:

Arie Ros
16th November 2006, 13:31
Humber River again in Brasil, Sao Sebastiao '71

gr Arie Ros

bernard berens
13th February 2007, 19:49
Mr. Arie Ros , I Donīt Know If You Remember Me.i Worked On The Humber River In The Engine Room.in Brasil And Saldanha Bay.that Was The Last Place. How Are You And The Others .i Live In Brasil Now.goodbay Bernard Berens

codinot
3rd January 2008, 18:02
Hello Arie,
I just came across this thread. I'm Charles Odint and worked on the Humber River in Brasil and SA as Chief Electrician. This is all a long time ago, but I am sure I have a bunch of picture somewhere if someone is interested.
Bye
-Charles

Arie Ros
25th July 2009, 21:45
Hallo Charles

Heb al een tijd geleden gereageerd, maar zou graag de fotos van de Humber River willen ontvangen.

vr gr Arie Ros

(Email address removed as per site policy - please see the guidelines (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=17182) )

simomatra
15th August 2009, 18:48
Just came across this thread, I also worked on her whilst she was in Australia on both projects as Electrician

Cheers Sam

Polaris22
24th December 2010, 20:47
Hi, I served on the M.V. Humber River as 4th Engineer during the construction of the Brisbane Airport...have not been able to find any photos of the vessel....do you have any?....Michael Brisbane

barra
16th January 2011, 10:39
Hi I worked on the Humber river in australia as greaser on the airport at brisbane , port hedland and gladstone . I was saddened when it all came to an end.I have a couple of pics I will post when I can dig them out.

Bill

Polaris22
16th January 2011, 11:01
Hi Bill,

I did about 3 months when the Humber River was dredging for the Airport. Probably the worst vessel I sailed on!!! I was there when the C/E was from some place up North Queensland...were you there then?? When I was there she had just come out of a supposed re-fit in Singapore, the V18 Diesels were stuffed at that stage. I also sailed on the Geopoties 5 for about 6 months in Chili Chup in Indonesia.....Would appreciate any photos you might have of the vessel...so I can add to my 35 or so others for posterity!!!!! You can send them to polaris.smith68@gmail.com if you wish....Cheers Michael Smith (Senior 2nd Engineer)

Phil_Thorsen
19th November 2012, 06:29
One of my brothers worked on the Humber River as well for the Brisbane Airport and at Karatha. He was one of the dredge line operators. He also went to asia and sailed on her to bring her to Brisbane initially. I spent many an enjoyable evening on board when she was docked. Quite a piece of engineering.