Delphin/Belorussiya

Bob S
21st August 2004, 15:02
I took the opportunity to stop at Southampton for a few minutes yesterday (20th August) and saw the cruise ship DELPHIN (75/16214) on the Windward Terminal berth 101. She reminded me of the first time I saw her as the BELORUSSIYA looking the worst for wear being towed through the English Channel by the tug SMIT ROTTERDAM just after dawn on the 14th May 1993. Operated at the time by the Black Sea Shipping Company of the Ukraine, she had been damaged during 1992 when she capsized in a Singapore dry-dock. I photographed her enroute for repairs in Germany. She was renamed KAZAKHSTAN II in 1993 and then DELPHIN in 1996 by her present operators, Dolphin Maritime.

flyer682
9th December 2004, 10:19
Looks like there might be a lifeboat drill going on in that first photo.
Seen DELPHIN in Lyttelton NZ a couple of times and coming back here again this coming Cruise Season. Caters for the German cruise market.

telx
11th December 2004, 23:31
Hi,
I worked on the BELORUSSIYA until her doomed visit to the Singapore shipyard. When she was righted, I went back on to take photos for the insurance. It was an oily mess.

Funnily, I never knew what happened to her after Singapore, and was amused to see that she was renamed the DELPHIN. Many a time I passed the Delphin and never suspected that.

Thanks for the info and pictures (im sure I have some BELORUSSIYA photos somewhere).

Terry

I

Bob S
13th December 2004, 11:06
Hi Terry

She certainly looked the worst for wear when I saw her in the English channel. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Bob

tanker
13th December 2004, 14:31
I was on cruise for seven days in 1987 with the KAZAKHSTAN ,her sister
A great numbers of beautifull girls as crew members on board ;a good
remeber of that cruise!!!!!

Bob S
13th December 2004, 16:56
I cruised round Italy on another sister during 2002, the VAN GOGH (originally the GRUZIYA). A very comfortable small cruise ship, not too many people. Just the way I like it.

See VAN GOGH thread under Modern Cruise Ships.