Broompark

Argyll
1st April 2006, 15:53
Any of you diamond D men ever on the Broompark? I joined her on my first trip on 28/03/61 in Immingham as Apprentice. I was told it was a six month trip, so 14 month 5 days later when we flew into Renfrew airport having left in Japan some 4 days earlier. She was sister ship to Glenpark. the senior app. was Davie Livingstone of Clyde Marine fame anyone have any pics of the Broompark,
Argyll

John Cassels
1st April 2006, 18:30
Have most of the "Denholm News Magazines from 1963 onwards and there are
bound to be some photos of the Broompark.
You didn't really believe that in 1961 you could do a 6 month trip , did you ??.,

Even in 1965 ,I ended up doing 15 months on the Naess Cavalier.

JC

muldonaich
1st April 2006, 22:08
thought davie left denholms and went to elder demsters for a wee while then came back in as a ship manager am i wrong i am getting old i think it was for the loch boatsthere was a mate on the gtvs went to clyde marine as welllenny bell i think bill gibson ended up there as well he was a really nice guy a wee bit old school but goodregardskev.

muldonaich
1st April 2006, 22:42
Have most of the "Denholm News Magazines from 1963 onwards and there are
bound to be some photos of the Broompark.
You didn't really believe that in 1961 you could do a 6 month trip , did you ??.,

Even in 1965 ,I ended up doing 15 months on the Naess Cavalier.

JChi john do you remember a david underwood that did a course with us in england he was the main speaker on ship management the hotel was called something on sea we were there for two weeks think john hamilton made a mistake the second week was all for masters and ch/engs re insurance we had a great time nobody missed us in the second week regards kevin.

Argyll
2nd April 2006, 13:38
As far as I remember Davie Livingstone Left Denholms and went to Palm line, I dont know how long he was there but I beleive he spent some time as cargo super in Lagos, he married a Danish sparks from Maersk he did come back to Denholms as ship manager, and asome time after the shiping agencies started Davie started up Clyde Marine , I met him a number of years ago in Campbeltown , as far as I know he has a house there, as for beleiving well I was 16 years Old and knew no better ,but learned fast. Argyll

airds
2nd April 2006, 21:05
Clyde Marine Group (http://www.clydemarine.com/)

This is indeed the older one from Campbeltown and responsible for the successful Clyde Marine, etc - and Clyde Marine Training with Bill Gibb.

(I'm the younger, better looking one from Oban ....)

back to 16

wmiller
16th April 2006, 21:42
Argyle, I was on the Broompark as apprentice May 1966 to April 1967. Willie McRae from Buckie, Master. Dougie Fairweather, Ch Off. Gordon Daly 2/0. Graham Marshall & Jim Dickson 3/0s. I'm struggling now.........! We traded mainly Australia / Japan, many different ports.
Regards, Bill Miller

Roddy MacSween
18th April 2006, 20:31
Hi Bill, again(!!),

I was best man at Graham (Marshall) and Jean's wedding **** years ago. He and I alo shared a flat in Woodland's Road (Glasgow) when we were studying for our Masters Ticket in 1972 - We did not complete our tickets on that occasion - Too close to the Highlanders Institute, OPark Bar and Snaffle Bit!!!. I am getting in touch with Graham soon and will recommend he joins SN

Regards

Roddy

ruud
19th April 2006, 08:31
Ahoy Argyll,

Is this the Broompark you're looking for?Haven't a clue where this one came from or belonged to, so no credits/courtesy to this piccie.

Fairfield
19th April 2006, 13:28
It/s a trials pic I/m sure. I/ve got it also from a mag but not such good quality.

Argyll
19th April 2006, 19:15
Rudd cheers for pic that is the very ship, 28th March 1961 was the date I joined her , I beleive she was damage on a previous voyage up the Lakes , but have no details
thanks again.

falconer
30th April 2006, 15:46
Hi Bill,,,I may have sailed with you on this vessel....were you on the Port Campbell prior to Broompark???,,,I was an apprentice on the Broompark around that time and transferred from the Port Campbell to her in Australia,,,stayed with Denholms till I got my Mates,,,Squeak Mcrae was the Master...have a few pictuers of both the vessels and will post them once I figure out how to do it.

John Falconer

Argyle, I was on the Broompark as apprentice May 1966 to April 1967. Willie McRae from Buckie, Master. Dougie Fairweather, Ch Off. Gordon Daly 2/0. Graham Marshall & Jim Dickson 3/0s. I'm struggling now.........! We traded mainly Australia / Japan, many different ports.
Regards, Bill Miller

Argyll
3rd May 2006, 11:00
John Falconer,
Are you the John Falconer who started out on the Crinan around 1964 , along with david linacre and co ? If you are I was there at the same time as Cadet Captain
Argyll

raybeti
3rd May 2006, 20:20
Dave served with Me onboard "Naess Sovereign" George Mayne O.M. I Mate, where is he now? along with all the other cadets whom I and Betty had the pleasure of sailing with. Also Ch. Steward Jimmy Prentice & Dympna, from Belfast, Jimmy if you read this , the twins must be almost fourty!.

Ray Jones
Dubai Pet. Co Super.
Long long retired.
ng with,

falconer
9th May 2006, 13:31
Hi Argyle,

I am one and the same,,,,though I cannot recall David Linacre,,,,and neither can I recall a Cadet Captain called ARGYLE??? refresh my memory por favor??

RGDS

John Falconer
John Falconer,
Are you the John Falconer who started out on the Crinan around 1964 , along with david linacre and co ? If you are I was there at the same time as Cadet Captain
Argyll

Eric Wallace
10th May 2006, 02:35
Hi Argyle,I have posted a photo of the Glenpark the Broompark would be identical

Argyll
17th May 2006, 20:29
John Falconer, My name is Alistair kernachan from Tarbert Argyll hence the name Argyll,
My memory of you is going ashore in Port Talbot in your civvies , Big Jim Nicol was not amused
Argyll

Angus Murray
18th May 2006, 00:05
Alistair
John on more than one ocassion did indeed manage ashore in Port Talbot in civvies, but if i remember correctly, he actually went ashore in uniform, but changed into civvies somewhere between Margam wharf and the Walnut!
Regards
Angus Murray

Argyll
18th May 2006, 16:30
Angus ,I'm trying to place you as I feel I should know you, I certainly remember the incident in Port Talbot I also remember the Seven Isles incident where we had the night ashore and I fell through much to the displeasure of Big Nicol who fined me two and a half days. If ever a person should have been put in a cage and fed on Kenomeat he should have. Please give Duncan MacKay my very best, Now there is a real gent.
Alistair.

roddy
18th May 2006, 17:32
Alastair you and Angus, must have broken "Big Jim", I sailed with him some years later and always found him fairly amiable, apart from the day he discovered that the farewell party on the quay in Tampico were waving at the two senoritas hanging out a port hole aft, and not to him on the bridge.

Roddy

Angus Murray
19th May 2006, 01:14
Alistair
You were Cadet Captain on the Crinan for only part of our 6 month tour. (July 64 to Jan 65). I will pass on your regards to Duncan.
Angus

Argyll
19th May 2006, 08:53
Angus,
I'm still trying to place you ,but like a few off my vintage the old grey matter has gone a bit sour due to I suppose a few beers and of course the' water of life'.
thanks for passing on my regards to Duncan. Roddy I thank you for the compliment of trying to break Big Jim but I was not that brave ,in fact on the Crinan he installed the fear of god into to most of the cadets , I was talking to Brendan Ward last week who was on the Crinan with me and he also had the same opinion of Nicol. Brendan is a Ship Manager with Cal-Mac and The Hebridean Isles is one of his charges.
Regards
Alistair.(Argyll)

John Cassels
19th May 2006, 09:05
Alistair,

When you next speak to Brendan, would you please pass my best regards to him.

JC

Roddy MacSween
19th May 2006, 18:57
Angus,
I'm still trying to place you ,but like a few off my vintage the old grey matter has gone a bit sour due to I suppose a few beers and of course the' water of life'.
thanks for passing on my regards to Duncan. Roddy I thank you for the compliment of trying to break Big Jim but I was not that brave ,in fact on the Crinan he installed the fear of god into to most of the cadets , I was talking to Brendan Ward last week who was on the Crinan with me and he also had the same opinion of Nicol. Brendan is a Ship Manager with Cal-Mac and The Hebridean Isles is one of his charges.
Regards
Alistair.(Argyll)
Angus

Give my regards to Brendan Ward. He and I had a 'good time' on the Glenpark circa. 1968 / 1969. Brendan was Third Mate and I was Second Mate. Big John MacLeod, a proper gentleman, from Lewis was Chief Officer. Happy days.

Regards

roddy MacSween

Argyll
20th May 2006, 11:20
JC,
I will indeed pas on regards to Brendan I did tell him about the site and he is on the net so he mat show up one of these days,
Alistair (Argyll)

falconer
28th May 2006, 03:36
Hi Alistair,

I remember you well, although I cannot remember going ashore in my civvies,,,i actually thought I looked quite smart in my uniform with a paper collar on my shirt!!!! At least that was what Susan,,,or was it Susie or Shirley used to say!!!
Ah Big Jim, now he was a terror to these apprenticles,,,if not he then it was Malcolm Thomson,,,and not to mention the Cadet Captain,,,Alistair... who seemed to have a dislike for Dundonians!!!! I can't remember this morning so how can I remember that!!

I will try and attach an image of the bairns of 1964 on the Crinan, let me know if it transmitted...still struggling with how to do this properly.

John

John Falconer, My name is Alistair kernachan from Tarbert Argyll hence the name Argyll,
My memory of you is going ashore in Port Talbot in your civvies , Big Jim Nicol was not amused
Argyll

falconer
28th May 2006, 03:39
Hi Angus,,,here is the image

JF
Angus,,,surely this is an untruth,,,see my reply to Arglye!!!...will try and send an attachment of the Crinan intake of 1964.

John
Alistair
John on more than one ocassion did indeed manage ashore in Port Talbot in civvies, but if i remember correctly, he actually went ashore in uniform, but changed into civvies somewhere between Margam wharf and the Walnut!
Regards
Angus Murray

falconer
28th May 2006, 03:59
Hi Alistair,,,here is the image

John
Argyll

Roddy MacSween
28th May 2006, 16:57
Hi Angus,,,here is the image

JF
Angus,,,surely this is an untruth,,,see my reply to Arglye!!!...will try and send an attachment of the Crinan intake of 1964.

John

How on earth do you transpose the thumbnail into A4 or even A5??? I would love to know who was in this intake of INCs.

Regards

Roddy (Read)

R58484956
28th May 2006, 17:50
Anybody got a magnifying glass or is my eyesight failing.

Argyll
28th May 2006, 18:10
John,
I don' t remember having a dislike for Dundonians, except one , and no not you, he was mate on the Broompark and I came accross him again on the Naess Cavillier,
I only remember one incident of you and civvies, that is because Big Jim Kicked my ass because of it , Do you remember the Seven Isles incident ,it cost me a couple of days wages.
Alistair

falconer
29th May 2006, 09:09
Hi Alistair,,,,,you must be the only one on the west coast who does not have a dislike for Dundonians!!!! Perhaps it was Jan Kusynski who had the dislike,,,,,,7 island incident???? Have not a clue and looking forward to you telling me,,,what did I do? (I guess wrong of course!!!)

As for the thumbnail,,,I had been trying to send "as is" but kept getting rejected ,,,tried on the gallery page but did not get through...will try gain on the large image

John F
John,
I don' t remember having a dislike for Dundonians, except one , and no not you, he was mate on the Broompark and I came accross him again on the Naess Cavillier,
I only remember one incident of you and civvies, that is because Big Jim Kicked my ass because of it , Do you remember the Seven Isles incident ,it cost me a couple of days wages.
Alistair

Argyll
29th May 2006, 16:13
John,
You could be right about who had the dislike of Dundonians,
What happened to the wee guy Cameron , can't remember his first name, he came over as a bit of a wide boy, 7 Islands incident was me ,we had managed to get a night ashore, and myself and some of the seniors went ashore to test the beer , ended up getting rat assed and I missed stations the following morn, The mate Duncan Mac Donald reckons he lifted me out my bunk and I just crawled back in , anyway when I did arrive on the bridge we were just pulling of the berth big Jim threw me off the bdidge claiming I was pissed, and in the afternoon had me in and fined me 2 and a half days.

Happy ,Happy Days
Alistair

John Cassels
29th May 2006, 19:49
Serves you right alistair;
Be thankful it was big Jim Nichol, some of the masters I sailed with would have thrown
you off the ship let alone the bridge.

JC

falconer
30th May 2006, 09:33
Hi Alistair

ANDY Cameron was his name,,,never heard from him again,,,,,mind you never heard from anyone again,,,,till recently of course.

As for Dundonians,,,I cannot recall who it was now that disliked them but anyway I was tipped of by one Dundonian apprenticele who was leaving when we joined, DAVE DONALDSON,,,can you recall him?? Anyway he failed his eyesight for 2nd Mates, left the sea and is now running his own very succesfull tunneling company in England. He says he got the job intitially because he knew how to use a sextant???In a tunnel??

Good that the 7 islands incident was you and not me!!!!!

Starting to get the hang of using this site,,,,so may blether a bit more in the future,,,,tried to post the image of CRINAN 1964 intacke via the gallery but also could not.

Incidently,,,,,hope you can get oot o' bed in the mornings now adays!!

John

John,
You could be right about who had the dislike of Dundonians,
What happened to the wee guy Cameron , can't remember his first name, he came over as a bit of a wide boy, 7 Islands incident was me ,we had managed to get a night ashore, and myself and some of the seniors went ashore to test the beer , ended up getting rat assed and I missed stations the following morn, The mate Duncan Mac Donald reckons he lifted me out my bunk and I just crawled back in , anyway when I did arrive on the bridge we were just pulling of the berth big Jim threw me off the bdidge claiming I was pissed, and in the afternoon had me in and fined me 2 and a half days.

Happy ,Happy Days
Alistair

Argyll
30th May 2006, 12:42
Serves you right alistair;
Be thankful it was big Jim Nichol, some of the masters I sailed with would have thrown
you off the ship let alone the bridge.

JC
Jc You obviously met Up with Big Jim after he mellowed I can assure you if you ask any of the young lads who were there with me then you would get a different view than you have so I'll close the matter there as I have no wish to go into a war of words.
Argyll

Argyll
30th May 2006, 12:46
John ,
Now I remember Andy I think back and he was quite a lad in his own way,
Glad your on site ,I go back to work tomorrow , will talk again What are you up to now? Do you remember, Brendan Ward?
Alistair

Sunny Jim in Rio
30th May 2006, 15:42
Dave served with Me onboard "Naess Sovereign" George Mayne O.M. I Mate, where is he now? along with all the other cadets whom I and Betty had the pleasure of sailing with. Also Ch. Steward Jimmy Prentice & Dympna, from Belfast, Jimmy if you read this , the twins must be almost fourty!.

Ray Jones
Dubai Pet. Co Super.
Long long retired.
ng with,

I sailed with Jimmy and Dympna Prentice. Also visited them at home with my (then) wife to be. That was about forty years ago!!! We'll be passing through Belfast in August and touring down the west coast to Cork......

falconer
31st May 2006, 23:07
Hi Alistair,

I am now a marine surveyor for teh offshore industry based in Singapore,,,been living in Singapore for about 35 years.
Travel around the region quite abit with once or twice a year in London, was in in fact in London 2 weeks ago.

I remember Brendon, in fact was up for I think Masters with him in Glasgow,,,or might have been Mates in Dundee,,,,what is he up to?

Am now in Australia, leaving Saturday for Singapore via Phuket for a couple of days R&R!!!

John

John ,
Now I remember Andy I think back and he was quite a lad in his own way,
Glad your on site ,I go back to work tomorrow , will talk again What are you up to now? Do you remember, Brendan Ward?
Alistair

Angus Murray
2nd June 2006, 16:51
John
I can not remember Alistair,s Seven Islands incident either. I think the reason may be that we were not there. Alistair,s time as Cadet Capt did not coincide exactly with our 6 month trip as there was an overlap with various Seniors and Cadet Captains during our time on board. I am sure there was not a Macdonald sailing as mate during our time, which seems to reinforce this theory.
Good to hear about Dave Donaldson and his successes ashore. Dave was a really nice fellow. We sailed together as apprentices on the Naess Pioneer.
Could you have another try at this '64 intake photo in an enlarged format. If there was 12 of us in that photo, i can account for ten, but the other two completely escape me.
Regards
Angus Murray

wmiller
23rd July 2006, 10:07
Hi a'bdy. Can't keep quiet any longer. Actually been awa and not visited site recently. Name Bill Miller, ex 'Affie' from Alford, nicknamed by an AB on the Crinan 1965. Changed to 'Haffie' probably on account of not being very tall . Graham Marshall - you're actually responsible for the addition of the'H' !! John Falconer. Presume originally from Dundee ?? sailed with you on somesuch. Did you go to Australia ?? . Broompark was my best berth I think. Those parties with the nurses in Newcastle NSW were special. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

falconer
23rd July 2006, 12:05
Hi a'bdy. Can't keep quiet any longer. Actually been awa and not visited site recently. Name Bill Miller, ex 'Affie' from Alford, nicknamed by an AB on the Crinan 1965. Changed to 'Haffie' probably on account of not being very tall . Graham Marshall - you're actually responsible for the addition of the'H' !! John Falconer. Presume originally from Dundee ?? sailed with you on somesuch. Did you go to Australia ?? . Broompark was my best berth I think. Those parties with the nurses in Newcastle NSW were special. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............
Hi Bill,

Just scrolling through and did see you replied,,,guess your memory same as mine...unsure???? But I agree Broompark great ship, great crowd and great runs,,,George Morrison was the aprenticle I transfrerred with from Port Campbell,,,saw him a week ago in Singapore..so ,,,did we sail on teh Broompark together??

John F

Stephen J. Card
6th November 2006, 05:10
Either BROOMPARK or her sister GLENPARK later became EASTERN MARINER 1 and sank of Bermuda in 1980 81.

As the ship was sinking the then Bermuda Harbour Master Russell Southern was on board and was busilly trying to rescue the clock from the bulkhead in the wheelhouse. He got it and stepped off into the rescue boat just as the sea came over her maindeck bulwarks! Anyhow.. just a few weeks ago Russell decided that the old clock needed a new home so he passed it on to me.

Stephen

Argyll
8th November 2006, 21:15
John Falconer,
In the November issue of the Telegraph there is a short article on the Broompark also a cased model , the article is written by a Bob Wilson, in it he states she was sank in pos. 32.20n 64.31 W on 16th. Feb. 1981. as stated before I was on her in 1961 on my first trip.
Alistair.

mel rix
28th January 2007, 13:24
i have photo of broompark. mel.rix1@btinternet.com

Graham M
12th February 2007, 21:42
Hi Haffie if you remember you also went under the name of James Bond whle on the Broompark

Roddy MacSween
4th March 2007, 20:09
Hi Haffie if you remember you also went under the name of James Bond whle on the Broompark

Hi Graham (Marshall)

Looking forward to seenig you next weekend!! Welcome to another 'older' ex Denholm Stalwart!!

I shall hopefuly be seeing Bill (HSE) in the near future, this to give him a practical demonstration on modern ship handling techniques!!

Good to have you on board, old pal - By the way my 'tipple' is now a G&T, more T than G and somewhat different to what we drank when we shared a flat in Woodlands Road!!! Enough said - The wives might be spying!!

Regards

Roddy