Sea Shell - Stephen Howarth

Jim MacIntyre
1st April 2006, 16:36
For all you Shell enthuiasts -
The book 'Sea Shell' by Stephen Howarth is listed on e-Bay.
Item number 8402267939. (It's a UK listing)
This is the Story of shell's British Tanker Fleets 1892-1992
I have a copy and it is well worth having.

Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

mclean
1st April 2006, 17:28
Jim, Had the book for some time now. Very well put together. Another good Shell read is the book TANKERMAN. It is written by Capt. Dick Williams and covers his recollections of his career with Shell. Sure brings back memories. Colin

Jim MacIntyre
3rd April 2006, 02:10
Hello Colin
I'll have to look for that one..
Also worth mention is 'The Anglo-Saxon/Shell Tankers by N.L.Middlemiss.
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

calvin
3rd April 2006, 09:04
sea shell is great i got a free copy from shell when my son tried finding out about my time with shell like you say brings back fond memories and makes you wonder what happened to the mates you sailed with.

Jim MacIntyre
3rd April 2006, 17:38
Well Calvin..... that's why we're all addicted to this site mate....
I reckon this is a good opportunity for me to say thanks to all who run the site and participate in it.
I'm at the point now when I mention 'going to check e-mail' the better half frowns and just replies 'yes dear' now there's a switch...
Keep up the good work
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

Jim MacIntyre
3rd April 2006, 18:10
Jim, Had the book for some time now. Very well put together. Another good Shell read is the book TANKERMAN. It is written by Capt. Dick Williams and covers his recollections of his career with Shell. Sure brings back memories. Colin

Colin
Searching 'tankerman' and 'Capt Dick Williams' comes up with a multitude of hits. Do you have any further info on the book - publisher. ISBN etc ??
Cheers
Jim Mac

mclean
3rd April 2006, 19:23
Colin
Searching 'tankerman' and 'Capt Dick Williams' comes up with a multitude of hits. Do you have any further info on the book - publisher. ISBN etc ??
Cheers
Jim Mac
Jim, Just spoke with Dick Williams, who is 78 now and resides in Eastern Canada. The book is out of print now, however I would gladly forward my copy to you if you wish. Please let me know. Regards Colin

Jim MacIntyre
4th April 2006, 03:47
Very kind of you Colin I'll PM details.
Do you have the Middlemiss book on Anglo-Saxon/Shell tankers ??
If not I can send it to you. That one shows up on Amazon once in a while..
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre

mclean
4th April 2006, 15:40
Very kind of you Colin I'll PM details.
Do you have the Middlemiss book on Anglo-Saxon/Shell tankers ??
If not I can send it to you. That one shows up on Amazon once in a while..
Cheers
Jim MacIntyre
Jim, Pleased to forward to you within the next day or so. will look around for the Middlemiss book and if cannot find will give you a shout. Regards Colin

Braighe
4th April 2006, 16:14
Glad to hear that Capt.Williams is still around though surprised to hear he is in Canada. Thought he was a Welshman through and through!!!
I was R/O on Opalia in 1975 when he joined off Las Palmas to take over from Capt.Lumsden. Opalia was then bound for UK from Gulf and Mombasa on her first trip as a Cadet Ship.
W.Macleod

mclean
4th April 2006, 16:59
Glad to hear that Capt.Williams is still around though surprised to hear he is in Canada. Thought he was a Welshman through and through!!!
I was R/O on Opalia in 1975 when he joined off Las Palmas to take over from Capt.Lumsden. Opalia was then bound for UK from Gulf and Mombasa on her first trip as a Cadet Ship.
W.Macleod
HI Braighe, Capt. Williams is doing well, and living in Elora Ontario. He lives in close proximity to Dick Lowe, a retired Ch.Engineer from shell with whom he had sailed with. Regards Colin

wsumg04
7th April 2006, 13:52
I got a complimentary copy of Seashell sent to me by Shell Ship Management IOM,a couple of years ago.I love it.I showed my family some of the pictures of the ships I worked on as well as my own pictures.I particularly liked the stuff they had on the Drupa up in the Brent and also the Achatina.
Very good memories............of bygone days.
If anyone needs any pics of Litiopa, Achatina, Drupa I have some.Email me.
Another good source is helderline.com
Pete.

davidpayne
9th April 2006, 19:24
nice book shame it forgets to mention how they replaced 90% of British Ratings in 1991 after we all watched a video of the future of the shell fleet.

calvin
9th April 2006, 19:57
hi nice to know how they also got rid of catering and general purpose crewsmain answer like all of the great red duster fleets we ended up surplace to requirement

mikefoster
29th July 2006, 09:34
Calvin wrote :Sea Shell is great

I agree with that. I managed to get a copy recently. Towards the end of the book there is a picture of Zidona opposite the Sydney Opera House and the caption says that she is leaving Sydney. My reading of the picture is that she absolutely must be heading inwards, going to Gore Bay. Everything in the picture dictates that, including the trace of the ship's wake trailing astern.

The sad pictures are the ones of the breakers' beaches.

I think that there are at least two ships missing from the fleet list. In the early 1950s I know that we had two Empire ships, Tescombe and Tesbury, and only one is there. Also we had San Melito in the Anglo-Saxon fleet and she doesn't appear. I recall that she was quite large for her day.

Mike

R58484956
29th July 2006, 11:11
San Melito 12286 tons built 1914 by Palmers at Newcastle. 530.0 x 66.5 x 33.5.
Quadruple up & downer by the shipbuilders. DF, Code flags GQXM British flag, Registered London. Owned by Anglo Saxon Pet; Co;

stevecz
29th July 2006, 16:36
San Melito, Built 1914 for Eagle Oil Transport Company Ltd.
Damaged 21/07/1915 by Submarine, 70 miles S W of The Lizard, from London to Mexico loaded. WW 1 callsign JFLN.
She surviived WW 1 & 2 and was laid-up in the River Blackwater in 1945.
Scrapped 1954.
For my research, When did she transfer to Anglo Saxon? and what did she do between 1945 and 1954. Anyone have any more info?

ray1buck1
29th July 2006, 21:09
136669 San Melito. ss 16,280 dwt. Built by Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne. Launched, March 12th 1914, by Lady Murray of Elibank. Delivered, April 28th 1914. Twice attacked by German submarines during First World War. First, on August 21st 1915, about sixty miles south of Lizard, the San Melito (Master, Capt J. D. Jackson) was shelled by German submarine U 38 (Kapitanleutnant Max Valentiner), but escaped with loss of one life; this action is described in Chapter III. Secondly, on May 2nd 1917, off the Orkneys when she was chased by German submarine U 49 (Kapitanleutnant Hartmann). The German report states that at 19.00 on May 2nd a ship was sighted to port steaming on a reciprocal course. U 49 pursued on the surface and at 21.40 dived to attack; but just before a torpedo could be fired the steamer veered round unexpectedly. There was a heavy swell and the submarine broke surface close astern of the steamer, which immediately opened fire with her gun. At 22.25 U 49 surfaced but darkness and the heavy swell made it impracticable to engage the steamer with gunfire. The San Melito (Master, Capt H. J. Mitchell) continued her course of 090 deg. at maximum speed and reached Kirkwall safely the following day. The San Melito traded throughout the Second World War mainly in the South Atlantic without encountering enemy action. Sold, May 20th 1946, to The Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co Ltd for use as a hulk at Gibraltar. Resold, May 7th 1954, to British Iron and Steel Corp (Salvage) Ltd for breaking up.

stevecz
30th July 2006, 09:18
Ray,
Excellent, just the thing to fill in the gaps

mikefoster
8th November 2006, 19:58
Like several others, I was delighted to receive a complimentary copy of Stephen Howarth's book.

As always, of course, there are errors but the overall book is great. Has anyone really looked at that compass rose on the dust jacket ? I can see three errors in it, I think. For starters, one point is labelled as E by E. Two other points are identical, one being right and one being wrong. Then there is SWS instead of WSW.

>If anyone needs any pics of Litiopa, Achatina, Drupa I have some.Email me.

Were you on Achatina Pete ? If so, can you recall the shell in the display cabinet. My research suggests that the Achatina was a giant African land shell and not a sea shell at all. Another one, mentioned in Sea Shell, is the Caprella. A search on Google shows that a caprella is a shrimp, not a shell. Anyone with recollections on those ?

Mike

mikefoster
8th November 2006, 20:02
For my research, When did she transfer to Anglo Saxon? and what did she do between 1945 and 1954. Anyone have any more info?[/QUOTE]

I worked in Anglo-Saxon Marine Staff Dept from 1950 to late 1954 and I've always recalled San Melito as part of the Anglo-Saxon fleet at that time. Her staffing was certainly handled by Anglo-Saxon and the staff were part of the "rank list".

Mike

stevecz
9th November 2006, 01:40
Mike,
This is as much as I have found out so far.

San Melito, (1914-1954 for Eagle Oil Transport Company Ltd). Damaged 21/08/1915, shelled by German submarine U 38 , 70 Nm S W of The Lizard. On passage from London to Mexico loaded, no losses. WW 1 callsign JFLN. Surviived WW 1&2. (1945-1946 Laid-up in River Blackwater). Transferred (1946-1954 to Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co Ltd for use as a hulk at Gibraltar). Scrapped , 07/05/1954, British Iron and Steel Corp (Salvage) Ltd.

ray1buck1
9th November 2006, 08:26
The only thing that I can add to the “San Melito” official number 136669 there are records at the TNA Kew which may be of some use if you haven’t already seen them
From Captain Norman Heselton’s CRS 10 he sailed, place of engagement 27/6/45 Gurock(3)as Master 2/7/45 place of discharge South Shields(3) then again on the 31/7/45 South Shields (3) to R Saine 3/8/45

There is a notation below this entry which may be the reference to it being transferred
If it is of any use I will let you have a copt of the CRS 10

Ray

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=136669&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

mikefoster
5th December 2006, 22:50
This thread seems to have wandered some way from its origins !

Seeing that it was originally about a book about tankers, and a good book at that, can I mention that I've recently produced another Shell book, the story of Shell in New Zealand. it supersedes Shell's own history that was lamentably full of errors.

I have quite a lot of ship references, some being little stories, other just the odd reference. More details about the book on my web page at http:\\homepages.paradise.net.nz\imikefost\ipagez. html

Is there anyone out there who sailed with Capt Pat Dove to bring the Tanea to New Zealand in 1950? Is there anyone who was on the Neothyris in 1954 when she was diverted to Pitcairn to repair the radio equipment on shore? Did anyone sail on the Erne before she came to NZ in1970? Or the Hindustan before she came here in 1978 to become the Amokura? Or on the Sedco 135F rig when she made that great slow haul from Canada to drill on the Maui field? Or the Zapata Arctic when she had a spell on the NZ east coast, then Bass Strait and finally the maui B field ? Or the Blue Whale when she came to work on the Maui A platform after the program had slipped so badly through some atrocious weather ? And who did Blue Whale belong to ? I don't think she was a Heerema vessel. I could probably think of a few more questions but I think it's time to stop.

Regards to all

Mike

ray1buck1
6th December 2006, 21:32
Mike
your link will not work
Is this one correct
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mikefost/ipagez.html

You apear to have your slashes the wrong way round and no i infront of mikfost

mikefoster
9th December 2006, 18:47
Your link will not work
Is this one correct
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mikefost/ipagez.html

Of course you're absolutely right. I must try to keep away from the computer late at night when I'm half asleep. Your version works perfectly !

Many thanks.

Mike

trotterdotpom
17th December 2006, 09:30
Girl in Happy Valley with a seashell tattooed high on her inner thigh, says to sailor: "If you put your ear next to my seashell, you can hear the sea."

He puts his ear nest to the tattoo and she says: "Can you hear the sea?"

"No," he replies, "but I can f*****g smell it!"

John T.

THEDOC
8th January 2009, 19:55
Girl in Happy Valley with a seashell tattooed high on her inner thigh, says to sailor: "If you put your ear next to my seashell, you can hear the sea."

He puts his ear nest to the tattoo and she says: "Can you hear the sea?"

"No," he replies, "but I can f*****g smell it!"

John T.

I like that, the jokes not bad either [=P]