Benavon

stevebrunsden
4th April 2006, 21:52
Hi
I served on Benavon as an R/O during 1974. Does anyone out there remember Wally Patterson or Paddy Mannion (both long standing Trio Fleet R/O's) also Graham Parvin (3E) and Davy Wickins (2E).
Regards
Steve Brunsden

ian keyl
4th April 2006, 22:34
Does any one remember sandy another great Ben line sparks ,we sailed on Wyvis maiden voyage 23 rd Dec 1965 ex gourock to hamburg round the north cape and we broke down off dundra head and started to drift back into shore with no air to start the engine .It took another three hours before we had enough air for a few tries .meantime sandy was busy sending 10 North Saint Davids Street message after message on our progress backwards towards the cliffs and rocks .
When we got going it was as far out in the atlantic we could go before we turned the corner for the Pentland straits .

Always great times but even more great crews.I remember Wally and Paddy great persons.I cannot remember the sparks on the Valla who died in Sept 1964 whilst we were waiting to cross the bar to go up river to Bangkok, we cremated him in bangkok and stopped the ship near the Parasol islands and scattered his ashes so he would always be there when a ben boat passed over the area on the way up to HK.

Ian Keyl '

non descript
4th April 2006, 22:35
A warm welcome to SN Steve, may the good ship and her excellent crew serve you well. Bon Voyage

EBenarty
5th April 2006, 22:53
I sailed with Davie Wickens first of all on Bennevis in 1967 , Bencruachan, Benvrackie and Benlawers>
Billy

Paul Barford
7th April 2006, 15:28
Sailed with Davey Wickens three times altogether, first on Benstac a voyage I would rather forget! Next on Benlomond, thankfully just the coast and later on Grey Fighter where he was C/E.
He ended off in Teekay although I never met up with him, but by all accounts he was a changed man. He retired around five or six years ago as far as I know, I joined the Koyagi Spirit not long after he left and believe that was possibly his last vessel.

EBenarty
7th April 2006, 22:41
I assume you did not get on with Davey (lol now) . But I got on well with him, and found he was very helpful, but I was on deck
Billy

Paul Barford
8th April 2006, 12:54
Your right Ebenarty!Not many of the Engine department did, still it's a long time ago now and best forgotten, but the stories that could be told!!

hashcookie
1st July 2006, 10:55
i did my first trip to sea in 1963 on Benavon as gally rat, and can remember her like it was yesterday. The Old Man was Captain Bruce, Chief Steward , Lauri White.The coasting Ch.Stwd. was known as Crammer, his nickname out of hearshot. The guy i first met on getting on board directed me to his cabin, and told me to ask for Mr Crammer, which i did. Did'nt get me off to a great start. Chippy was John? frae Burntisland, bosun had a Christ on a cross tattooed on his chest, and the cook was Bob Wiseman,''frae Peaterheed''. The ships cat was Rosco, who went ashore in Djakarta for a bag off and missed the ship. I wish i could remember all the names to the faces on that trip, which was a wonderful, exciting, and eye opening experience for a 15 year old kid from a country village in the sticks of Scotland. I took redundancy in 88 , after 6 years on the Ben Chemmi tankers as cook/stwd, and 25 years at sea, the best God damn job in the world

corydoras
26th July 2006, 12:30
Hi
I served on Benavon as an R/O during 1974. Does anyone out there remember Wally Patterson or Paddy Mannion (both long standing Trio Fleet R/O's) also Graham Parvin (3E) and Davy Wickins (2E).
Regards
Steve Brunsden
I remember Paddy Mannion. I sailed with him on a few ben line boxboats!

EBenarty
4th November 2006, 20:01
I sailed with Bob Wiseman, on the Lawers 1972 Billy

Ali Bain
24th February 2007, 07:37
Hi Steve, Sailed with Paddy Mannion a few trips on the 'lomond, quite a character...!!!! Had a few good runs ashore with him.
Ali. Bain.

Joe Freeman
24th February 2007, 17:46
Does any one remember sandy another great Ben line sparks ,we sailed on Wyvis maiden voyage 23 rd Dec 1965 ex gourock to hamburg round the north cape and we broke down off dundra head and started to drift back into shore with no air to start the engine .It took another three hours before we had enough air for a few tries .meantime sandy was busy sending 10 North Saint Davids Street message after message on our progress backwards towards the cliffs and rocks .
When we got going it was as far out in the atlantic we could go before we turned the corner for the Pentland straits .

Always great times but even more great crews.I remember Wally and Paddy great persons.I cannot remember the sparks on the Valla who died in Sept 1964 whilst we were waiting to cross the bar to go up river to Bangkok, we cremated him in bangkok and stopped the ship near the Parasol islands and scattered his ashes so he would always be there when a ben boat passed over the area on the way up to HK.

Ian Keyl '

Hello Ian,
The Senior Sparks name who died on Benvalla was Fraser. I can't remember his first name only that we were delayed several days in the estuary much to the consternation of the Captain. I was junior 4th. Engineer on that trip and the date was late 1965 early 1966, and I do remember going to the funeral service somewhere in the jungle outside Bangkok. The Chief Engineer's name was McDonald from Aberdeen.
Regards,
Joe.