mv Scotstoun

scossie
7th April 2006, 10:38
G'day Maties..I remember the Scotstoun taking on oil (as a junior Eng)And the Chief told me to take soundings from a bunker..And as my eyes took on the big picture..I realized that the ship had a tilt in its kilt..I thought..Should I!!!!!!!.And thought better of it..Then at sea...His lordship demanded to know why I took a wrong reading...Was'nt his fault...Was mine for not speaking up..
As I learned in Australia..You are as good as your master..Cant win them all.. (Night)

tunatownshipwreck
8th April 2006, 07:34
Would you have been on the Scotstoun in 1971? She spent some time at anchor in the Columbia River during the great West Coast longshoreman's strike that summer, occasionally tying up at Astoria for water and provisions. I remember some tension between the Chinese crew and the officers after the captain tried to fire them all in Japan just previous to sailing for the US, he even had their water shut off. I met a deck cadet named Ian, we were both 17 at the time. I can't recall the names of a few others I met (but the faces still come to me).

scossie
8th April 2006, 10:40
G'day Matie ..I was on the Scotstoun in 1960...Had a great time...As had everyone in my era..Who was willing to go fur gold...And be Adventuer'us...
Greattttttttt daysssssssssss....Awrabest...Scossie'' (Applause)

tunatownshipwreck
8th April 2006, 17:46
G'day Matie ..I was on the Scotstoun in 1960...Had a great time...As had everyone in my era..Who was willing to go fur gold...And be Adventuer'us...
Greattttttttt daysssssssssss....Awrabest...Scossie'' (Applause)
Unfortunately I never had the chance to trace your footsteps. The "Scotstoun" I visited was built in 1964.

David Scott
10th April 2006, 19:20
I was on the Scotstoun during the period you are talking about. Bert Robertson was third engineer (since deceased after a fall on a flight of stairs) Kenny Greenwood was one fourth engineer and I was the other (he won the star prize of Mikimoto pearls at the annual fund-raiser at the seaman's mission in Yokohama and gave them to his bride-to-be in Vancouver). Vernon Fiefer was the German (dispensation) second engineer and a hard task-master but a pretty good guy. Dallas, yes, the Dallas Bradshaw came on as radio operator for a while. Willie Winton was third mate and I suppose if I think hard enough I will come up with some of the other crew. What a great ship...... Motorcycles from Japan to the US and grain from Canada back to Japan. I remember the strike, well we stopped their overtime and that of course was a big part of the Hong Kong crews wages..... so it wasnt really surprising. What I remember most are the Sundays when we would open up the sliding door in the aft of the saloon and have a stir-fry with the BEST Nasi Goreng I have ever tasted, washed down with a few cold ones. But I also remember the Paxman generators and what a pile of rubbish they were.
I joined the ship in Yokohama, paid off six months later in Astoria and Bert and I travelled by Stagecoach bus down to Long Beach where we had a holiday with Eddie Glennie, a Scots cargo surveyor and a magic weeks holiday. I had forgotten half of the things until I blundred across this web site and your post. I remember it once took fourteen extra days to get to Japan. Having taken the north great circle, storm after storm pushed us back and days when not a word passed between us at mealtimes, thats how bad it was..... BUT the sight of land and the Motomachi calling, sauna parlours (well their showers were better!!) and Kirin beer, life was sweet again. I have photographs of the ship I can scan and post if anybody is interested. Oh boy I had a lot of fun over the years.

John Cassels
10th April 2006, 19:27
Would that be Willie Winton from Millport ?.

JC

David Scott
10th April 2006, 20:39
Yes Willie was from Millport. He said that he and his brother ran the ferry across. Every time (and that was a lot) that Willie would have a drink he'd sing "There's not a team like Adrossan Winton Rovers". Any idea where he ended up?
Scotty.

tunatownshipwreck
11th April 2006, 07:02
I was on the Scotstoun during the period you are talking about. Bert Robertson was third engineer (since deceased after a fall on a flight of stairs) Kenny Greenwood was one fourth engineer and I was the other (he won the star prize of Mikimoto pearls at the annual fund-raiser at the seaman's mission in Yokohama and gave them to his bride-to-be in Vancouver). Vernon Fiefer was the German (dispensation) second engineer and a hard task-master but a pretty good guy. Dallas, yes, the Dallas Bradshaw came on as radio operator for a while. Willie Winton was third mate and I suppose if I think hard enough I will come up with some of the other crew. What a great ship...... Motorcycles from Japan to the US and grain from Canada back to Japan. I remember the strike, well we stopped their overtime and that of course was a big part of the Hong Kong crews wages..... so it wasnt really surprising. What I remember most are the Sundays when we would open up the sliding door in the aft of the saloon and have a stir-fry with the BEST Nasi Goreng I have ever tasted, washed down with a few cold ones. But I also remember the Paxman generators and what a pile of rubbish they were.
I joined the ship in Yokohama, paid off six months later in Astoria and Bert and I travelled by Stagecoach bus down to Long Beach where we had a holiday with Eddie Glennie, a Scots cargo surveyor and a magic weeks holiday. I had forgotten half of the things until I blundred across this web site and your post. I remember it once took fourteen extra days to get to Japan. Having taken the north great circle, storm after storm pushed us back and days when not a word passed between us at mealtimes, thats how bad it was..... BUT the sight of land and the Motomachi calling, sauna parlours (well their showers were better!!) and Kirin beer, life was sweet again. I have photographs of the ship I can scan and post if anybody is interested. Oh boy I had a lot of fun over the years.
We must have met then. I was on the ship much of the time when I wasn't unloading tuna boats that summer. The strike actually lasted into the fall. I ate dinner with the HK crew a few times, with all their Maoist decorations on the walls, hung out in the ship's lounge with you guys a few times. I recall a bunch of women you met in Vancouver BC came down to see you, and there was a bit of a problem finding one who would sit with the captain, as if he was without a lady nobody could have one. Somebody gave me a bunch of Japanese collapsable lanterns that advertised different Japanese beers. The last one of those burned in my house fire last year. You might also remember the wild girls from the all-female "job Corps" trade school in Astoria. Good, good times.

John Cassels
11th April 2006, 08:35
David;
Last saw Willie when I was mate on the Eurofreighter and Willie was 3rd.mate.
that would be about 1975 or so.

Was only ashore with him once and that was one time too many as he succeded
in getting into a fight with some locals in a bar in Le Havre within 30 minutes
of arriving. I happened to be passing at the time and got roped in .........
enough said.
Never seen him since .

JC

David Scott
11th April 2006, 09:48
The captain on the Scotstoun was Ian Grant from somewhere on the west coast of Scotland, maybe even down the Clyde. I never saw him after Astoria but I heard later that (well ahead of his time!!) he told the cabin crew on a flight back to the UK he had a bomb in his suitcase. Early retirement from him I guess. Perhaps having Dallas Bradshaw our lady radio operator on board had something to do with not having the girls there. Ian and Dallas used to swear at each other all the time, her on about his drink intake and him returning with observations on her ideas of morality. It was a hoot.

John Cassels
11th April 2006, 19:28
David;
Knew Ian well ; enough said.

Have a feeling (figurativly speaking) that I met Miss Bradshaw when she joined
the Erskine Bridge as I was leaving. It was a female RO in any case.

JC

David Scott
11th April 2006, 20:57
There was another Scotstoun, I Joined her in Gdansk, picked up prefabricated houses in Oskarsham, Karlsham and Esjberg, a trip into Newcastle for some more general cargo then out to the Gulf where we crept about for four months waiting to see which port would take us first. I remember filling my wardrobe the underside of the bunk and every other available space with boxes of Tenants, since we knew beer would be hard to come by in the Arab States.

PS I came across another thread where you said you knew C/E Donald Balloch. I sailed with him on the Swiftness and the Sealness and I'm sitting looking at a photo of him and Les Rutter going ashore in Albany or Burnbury for horseriding lessons! Well thats what he told me.
Scotty.

JimC
15th November 2007, 15:37
Do you know if Ian Grant would be about 72 now? If so it is possible he was at James Watt same time as me in 1952. I understand he served his time with Clan Line.

JimC

randcmackenzie
15th November 2007, 20:08
Do you know if Ian Grant would be about 72 now? If so it is possible he was at James Watt same time as me in 1952. I understand he served his time with Clan Line.

JimC

Yes, he was ex Clan Line.

He relieved the Mate on Denholm's first Industria in 1967 when I was Second Mate, so the age would be about correct.

He was from the Clyde coast somewhere, I think.

John Cassels
16th November 2007, 08:36
Ian Grant was from Dunoon. Last heard of around 1990 when he was
presented to us ( Cast ) via an agency for a position as Master.

vickentallen
6th December 2007, 15:19
donald balloch 2nd Eng Morven? was he from the Orkneys? If so sailed with him 64 nice guy..
Vic..

John Cassels
7th December 2007, 09:51
Donald Balloch was another member of the "Gourock Navy " , happily retired
and still living in Gourock.

muldonaich
7th December 2007, 11:05
Donald Balloch was another member of the "Gourock Navy " , happily retired
and still living in Gourock.he took out cast husky did he not john? kev.

John Cassels
8th December 2007, 09:50
he took out cast husky did he not john? kev.

That's right Kevin , but he didn't stay long in the Cast group unfortunatly.
He was ( is ) quite a character.
Last time I was back "home " 5 years ago , saw him and his wife at the
Greenock Tesco checkout. He was standing filling all the shopping bags.
He didn't see me so I sidled up behind him and whispered " wanna buy a
second hand Sulzer ". The resulting roars of laughter stopped the rest of
Tesco.
Sailed with Donald many times , last time being the Atholl Forest around
1978. Can't remember all the details but we got stuck in ice in the Baltic
for 5 days with no power , both Gennys failed amd the emergency one blew
up when it was started. After 5 days , Donald came up with the idea to
manhandle one of the bottles from the CO2 room down to the generator
flat and use that as starting air. It worked . Great guy.

muldonaich
8th December 2007, 14:16
That's right Kevin , but he didn't stay long in the Cast group unfortunatly.
He was ( is ) quite a character.
Last time I was back "home " 5 years ago , saw him and his wife at the
Greenock Tesco checkout. He was standing filling all the shopping bags.
He didn't see me so I sidled up behind him and whispered " wanna buy a
second hand Sulzer ". The resulting roars of laughter stopped the rest of
Tesco.
Sailed with Donald many times , last time being the Atholl Forest around
1978. Can't remember all the details but we got stuck in ice in the Baltic
for 5 days with no power , both Gennys failed amd the emergency one blew
up when it was started. After 5 days , Donald came up with the idea to
manhandle one of the bottles from the CO2 room down to the generator
flat and use that as starting air. It worked . Great guy.yes him and bob cotter made a great team sadly bob has crossed the bar best regards kev.

John Cassels
8th December 2007, 19:22
Kevin , reminds me of the time that Cast sent me out to Montreal in 1985 to
get to know the people on the other end , so to speak. Part of the visit was
a trip to Dalhousie to see the load operation . As luck would have it , the
" Otter " was the loading ship with Bob Cotter and Walter Muir.
The second evening we all went out to a lobster restaurant just outside
Dalhousie , Bob , Walter , me , John Stewart , Dich Huyshe.
During the evening , Walter happened to make the comment that he experienced great sexual satisfaction in making a good weld. The evening
erupted after that and don't think I have ever laughed so much since.
Was your pinup tuesday weld ? , oh the goggles and leather apron !!.
Sounds silly now , but it was an evening never to forget .

muldonaich
9th December 2007, 00:00
Kevin , reminds me of the time that Cast sent me out to Montreal in 1985 to
get to know the people on the other end , so to speak. Part of the visit was
a trip to Dalhousie to see the load operation . As luck would have it , the
" Otter " was the loading ship with Bob Cotter and Walter Muir.
The second evening we all went out to a lobster restaurant just outside
Dalhousie , Bob , Walter , me , John Stewart , Dich Huyshe.
During the evening , Walter happened to make the comment that he experienced great sexual satisfaction in making a good weld. The evening
erupted after that and don't think I have ever laughed so much since.
Was your pinup tuesday weld ? , oh the goggles and leather apron !!.
Sounds silly now , but it was an evening never to forget .john stewart the first canadian headline app and endeded up working for cast will tell you the story later on great guy regards kev.

JimC
10th December 2007, 16:59
Thanks, it was as I thought. He did come from Dunoon and had a brother who also was in Anchor line but the name escapes me. He was pals with Kenny McArthur (of Anchor Line then Western Ferries).

ddrennan
13th September 2008, 14:42
I'm a bit late in joining this thread, I only recently signed on to the site.
Anyway, I joined the Scotstoun in '65 in Philadelphia and was part of the last British crew (deck) before we were replaced by the Chinese in Hong Kong. All the catering and deck crew were fired because of, and I'll use Denholm's excuse, the violence on board during the whole trip. The truth is that we were antagonized so much that the problems were inevitable. It was all designed to give them an excuse to get us off and get the Chinese aboard.
The trouble was so bad that 2 of the deck crew refused to work and were charged with mutiny. The news travelled back to the UK and when we arrived at Heathrow, the union and the News of the World newspaper people were waiting to take our statements. I sailed on another Denholm's ship, the Clarkavon, but, altogether, Denholm's was not my favourite shipping company.
Duke Drennan: ex Glasgow pool.

Gulpers
13th September 2008, 16:27
Duke,

Thanks for your contribution to the Denholm thread. It certainly sounds as if you had a 'time of it' when you sailed on Scotstoun. [=P]
Fortunately I never experienced anything as unpleasant during my time in the company. (==D)

muldonaich
13th September 2008, 18:35
was with them for years i think i only sailed on one unhappy ship hopepark but ive already told that story on this site but never sailed on any of the scotstouns kev.

tunatownshipwreck
15th March 2009, 06:18
I found a card in my things from a shipmate you might remember:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/167888

muldonaich
15th March 2009, 09:30
I found a card in my things from a shipmate you might remember:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/167888no i dont remember him but i might have sailed with him names are starting to fade after all these years brgds kev.

Gerard Carmichael
1st August 2009, 20:07

JimC

Hi JimC, I sailed with Ian Grant on King Arthur,Chief Officer (Clan Line)1958 he would be about 72, said he came from Sandbank near Dunoon,had a brother inlaw Chief Officer Clan Line.

John Cassels
2nd August 2009, 09:26
Ian Grant must be at least 72. He was Master on the Eurofreighter 1976
when I last sailed with him......33 years ago !.

randcmackenzie
2nd August 2009, 15:37
John, are you not thinking of Ian Graham?

I thought Ian Grant 'left' Denholm sometime in the sixties.

Best Regards.

muldonaich
2nd August 2009, 17:05
i c graham took the euroliner out in 1971 from emden he was the torch man no disrespect meant brgds kev.

John Cassels
2nd August 2009, 19:07
Roddy ,You're correct ( again ) was getting mixed up with Ian Donaldson
who also came from the Dunoon area. Pretty sure I sailed with Ian Grant
though but not sure when and where.

Yes , Kev . Am sure that Superman will never forget letting that torch slip
out of his grasp.

muldonaich
2nd August 2009, 19:20
have to admit he was a bloody good old man brgds kev.

John Dickens
4th October 2014, 18:28
There was on Scotstoun, I Joined her in Gdansk, picked up prefabricated houses in Oskarsham, Karlsham and Esjberg, a trip into Newcastle for some more general cargo then out to the Gulf where we crept about for four months waiting to see which port would take us first. I remember filling my wardrobe the underside of the bunk and every other available space with boxes of Tenants, since we knew beer would be hard to come by in the Arab States.
like to hear from any shipmates