Ocean Ships

david smith
23rd August 2004, 23:06
Can I use this forum to praise the work of David Hornsby and his latest edition if Ocean Ships? This, the 13th edition surpasses the previous volumes in its accuracy and quality in the age when ships constantly change names in a chartering environment. It must be soul destroying to bring out such a book which is already incorrect when it goes to print. A reference work to be proud of and an honour to own.
DS

Fairfield
24th August 2004, 20:35
I haven/t had an OCEAN SHIPS since the Bert Moody days but I/m sure the present edition is as good as all the others.A very difficult undertaking . :clap:

tanker
12th September 2004, 16:24
I haven/t had an OCEAN SHIPS since the Bert Moody days but I/m sure the present edition is as good as all the others.A very difficult undertaking . :clap:

Hi Fairfield
I am coming back and i have buy the new ocean ships book .
it is very good . Are the profile of ships of the Bert Moody edition that
are changed. A lot of year are passed!!!!!!!
hello
GP

Bob
12th July 2005, 10:25
I can also recomend Ocean ships its a great reference book. Cheers Bob

gadgee
1st August 2005, 18:18
I am looking at 9 volumes on my bookcase back to 1966, and one from 1962; also have some individual Ian Allan reference books back to 1959 such as Ocean Tankers . I still look at them even today. I must really be a ship anorak!

Fairfield
1st August 2005, 19:39
They were/are still great books.I/m sorry I never kept buying them.Last edition I have I think is mid 1980s.

gadgee
2nd August 2005, 08:47
Yes, 2/6 by H.M. Le Fleming and on the back are coupons which you could redeem against future purchases. Valid until 31/12/1960 on one of mine! My 1962 Ocean Ships at 12/6 contains some fascinating tramp ship companies with two or three ships.

glenn
8th September 2005, 00:13
The Golden Age of Shipping 1900--1960 in the Conways history of the ship is excelent
Also A New History of British Shipping by Ronald Hope is a must it covers the period 3000 bc to 1988

rivet
28th March 2006, 17:58
try web sight www.dockland.fsworld.co.uk to see details on 'Dockland apprentice'
now in soft back @ 9:99 plus 2 p&p. Highly commended by 'History Today'

R651400
5th April 2006, 06:25
Yes, 2/6 by H.M. Le Fleming and on the back are coupons which you could redeem against future purchases. Valid until 31/12/1960 on one of mine! My 1962 Ocean Ships at 12/6 contains some fascinating tramp ship companies with two or three ships.Ian Allan and H M le Fleming ABC books come up regularly on Ebay but be warned they may not be original.
Bought one on motorbikes for grandson and it was a photocopy of the original. Not complaining as all the info was there including fairly decent pics but it would have been nice to know from the seller that it was not original.

Bob S
10th May 2006, 16:37
OCEAN SHIPS 14th edition is out this May, excellent value at 19.99.

Bruce Carson
10th May 2006, 16:52
Yes, 2/6 by H.M. Le Fleming and on the back are coupons which you could redeem against future purchases. Valid until 31/12/1960 on one of mine! My 1962 Ocean Ships at 12/6 contains some fascinating tramp ship companies with two or three ships.

Dammit--I'm a latecomer--mine are dated 1961 with an offer of all six books at 2/6 each or the six combined as 'Ocean Ships' for 12/6 (board cover, not paperback}.

About the same time, there was a series issued by Adlard Coles Ltd., Southampton called "Ships of ........(the London River, Southampton, the Clyde, etc.) with le Fleming, Laurence Dunn and others contributing.

I feel a little better. I thought I was a nutcase, squirrelling away these small paperbacks for over forty years and still digging them out every so often for a good read.

Bruce C

gadgee
11th May 2006, 18:09
The new 14th edition of Ocean Ships they say will be a softback when it comes out this May. Still the same number of pages as the 13th edition though at c224.

http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=478_507&products_id=47455

R58484956
31st May 2006, 10:46
Ocean Ships 14 th edition publication has now been put back to end of June 06, so I was told by WH Smith (Booksellers UK) yesterday 30/05/06

gadgee
3rd June 2006, 21:37
Yes, 30th June 2006 now-

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=5683

R58484956
4th June 2006, 17:33
Thank you for confirming date.I have always regarded WHS as reliable in the past.

Bob S
18th June 2006, 19:18
Recieved the 14th edition through the post yesterday 17th June.

Pompeyfan
27th June 2006, 20:16
My copy came last week. I ordered it at Amazon on line, and it came on Friday. How's that for service for a book not supposed to be out until the end of June?!. Only just had chance to look at it properly, and it is very good. My first Ocean Ships book since B Moody 1971. David Hornsby has done a superb job. It is hard enough keeping up to date with the ever changing cruise world in the first part of passenger liners and cruise ships. But Part Two is a very large section of cargo vessels and tankers which must have taken a huge amount of time and dedication record. So if you read this David, full marks for a truly excellent book. By the way, the ship on the front page is Navigator of the Seas. I will be on board her all being well next April for her first cruise from Southampton. David

wilf
28th March 2011, 11:23
My Ocean ships of which I have 7 and the first one is 1967. They do not always say which edition they are .The 1976 one says the first edition was 1964 so if any one can give me the full SP it would be very helpful in finding early copies
Regards Alan.

Ron Dean
28th March 2011, 12:17
I have a copy which only states "This edition 1994", so I don't really know which edition number it is.
It has 224 pages and is a hardback. It lists many newbuilds up to 1997, some of which were yet to be named.
I've found it a great reference book and I shall certainly get the latest edition.

wilf
28th March 2011, 16:49
Hello Ron , there are masses of them used on the web all that I have bought have been quite cheap and everyone in good condition. I just need to tie down a couple of earlier copies. Regards, Alan

NINJA
28th March 2011, 18:37
The first Ocean Ships that I have is B Moodys 1967 edition, its is sad when you look through at the classic and varied lines of those ships in that edition as opposed to what we see nowadays but I suppose thats progress or should I say economics of scale.

Nigel Wing
28th March 2011, 20:30
I have 15 editions, starting in 1965. There must be the 16th edition soon.
Nigel.

Wribbenhall
29th March 2011, 18:18
My Ocean ships of which I have 7 and the first one is 1967. They do not always say which edition they are .The 1976 one says the first edition was 1964 so if any one can give me the full SP it would be very helpful in finding early copies
Regards Alan.

I have a few of the earlier editions, of OCEAN SHIPS(I.e the Combined Hardback Volume by Ian Allan Publishing,) and which are probably of the most interest to us 50 to 70’s era of MN seafarers.

The individual separate booklets are of course something else ,and many editions were published starting in the early 50’s;usually in four titles (British Ocean Ships,British Ocean Tankers,Foreign Ocean Ships,Foreign Ocean Tankers.)
I attach some images of OCEAN SHIPS Combined Volumes below. As Wilf says,not all of the issues were given a year date,so things seem a bit vague.

Notes on the OCEAN SHIPS Combined Volumes
A. I think this was the “first edition” in the sense it was the first by the original editor- H.M .Le Fleming. Dated 1962
B.Notwithstanding the above,this is inscribed in the title page as First Edition 1964.,in the sense that this,and several subsequent editions were by the 2nd editor Bert Moody ( i.e. images C TO F.)
C 2nd. Ed. 1966
D 3rd Ed. 1967. As these two editions were very close together,perhaps one was just a reprint or only a mild update of the other? No image available ,maybe same cover as C ?
E 4th Ed. 1971
F 5th Ed. 1974

China hand
29th March 2011, 18:40
I bought my first "combined volume" 5 November 1961.
H.M. leFleming
Ian Allan Ltd
As you say, no date given.
Frontispiece is Yugoslav Line DINARA.
Got them all since.

Ron Dean
29th March 2011, 20:32
I have a copy which only states "This edition 1994", so I don't really know which edition number it is.
It has 224 pages and is a hardback. It lists many newbuilds up to 1997, some of which were yet to be named.
I've found it a great reference book and I shall certainly get the latest edition.
Also what may be of interest to many, would be David Hornsby's "Coastal ships & Ferries" first published in 1964.
I have a 1999 edition in hardback, again with 224 pages.
It has the same format as "Ocean Ships" and there may well be a much later edition than the copy that I have.

David Wilcockson
29th March 2011, 20:32
Would anyone know whether there is a 16th edition in the offering atall.
Cheers,
David

drwhoman
30th March 2011, 00:56
I concur with all the comments about David Hornsby's books. They are excellent and worthy successors to previous authors and particularly Bert Moody and H.M Le Fleming. As many Nostalgia folk will be aware, the ABC range also covered coastal ships and the Royal Navy. I am not sure what sort of obsessive collector I am (might be described as an anorak or a nutter I suppose!) but I believe I have every ABC ship publication since they were first issued around 1950! In arriving at this conclusion I was helped immensely by the unpublished work of a gentleman (name escapes me now but I his journal somewhere) detailing every ABC book issued by Ian Allan covering not only ships but also buses, railways and aircraft! As one or two contributors have mentioned it is very hard otherwise to find a published date sometimes and you have to rely anecdotal stuff like which ships are in (built or not scrapped) and which ships are out. Thus, 1962 might include Empress of Canada built in 61 but not Empress of France scrapped in 60. These books are always a good browse with a cup of tea - lots of nostalgia for ships long gone!

China hand
30th March 2011, 18:16
The first edition of Ocean Ships was indeed 1964. My earlier 1961 job was "abc Ocean Ships Combined Volume."
Mea Culpa.
Checking back, I find I miss one, don't know which yet.
These days of container interchange and so forth, it is hard to really see what a "shipping company" is. MSC?

johleit
6th April 2011, 07:32
Dave Wilcockson,
Hope your well. I was wondering what kind of company was Larrinaga to sail for.
John (johleit@verizon.net)

johleit
6th April 2011, 07:39
Would anyone know whether there is a 16th edition in the offering atall.
Cheers,
David

Dave,
What kind of company was Larrinaga to sail for?
I believe my grandfather sailed with them from the 20's and into the 1950's.
John
johleit@verizon.net

David Wilcockson
9th April 2011, 09:02
John
Hard working, hard playing & very basic, would probably sum it up, much the same as a lot of other tramp companies that were around at that time. The ships were built to a job of cross seas trading which they did quite well, & the accomodation & other amenities were not top of the agenda for the owner. But would I do it again-----you bet I would. Hope this answers your question John.
Cheers,
David