Birchbank, Streambank

robin29
14th April 2006, 12:24
both doxfords from Sunderland yards

polaris37
16th January 2007, 11:08
http://www.pbase.com/image/48811174.jpg

Birchbank: Malmoe, Sweden 1980 (general strike)

Alistair Macnab
24th November 2008, 22:42
"Birchbank" and "Streambank" both sisters in the "Firbank" class but having Macgregor hatch covers and raised masthouses, the only two to be so fitted. All the rest of this class of 12,000dwt had slab hatch covers and tarpaulins over sliding hatch beams. Apparently, they were "trial" ships. Bank Line were never a company to take anyone else's word for any improvements! If my memory serves me correctly, the next Macgregor fitted ships were the "Hazelbank" (Harland's 1964) and the "Beechbank" of 1965 (Doxford's)
Alistair Macnab
Houston TX

Johnnietwocoats
29th December 2008, 05:22
Sailed on the Streambank as an Apprentice for i6 months 63/64

Ex-BHC
23rd April 2011, 16:44
Sailed on the Birchbank as 5th Engineer in 1968

jimthehat
23rd April 2011, 19:41
"Birchbank" and "Streambank" both sisters in the "Firbank" class but having Macgregor hatch covers and raised masthouses, the only two to be so fitted. All the rest of this class of 12,000dwt had slab hatch covers and tarpaulins over sliding hatch beams. Apparently, they were "trial" ships. Bank Line were never a company to take anyone else's word for any improvements! If my memory serves me correctly, the next Macgregor fitted ships were the "Hazelbank" (Harland's 1964) and the "Beechbank" of 1965 (Doxford's)
Alistair Macnab
Houston TX
sailed on the Forresbank (new) and next ship the Taybank,cant remember if one or both were fitted with Macgregor hatches,but one of them certainly was cos I can remember hanging onto the end of a crowbar when lifting the sections on and off the wheels.

jim

Alistair Macnab
24th April 2011, 17:29
In Bank Line, the "Forresbank" (1962) only had slab hatchcovers, tarpaulins and rolling hatch beams but the "Taybank" (1963) had Macgregopr hatch covers.
I remember when I sailed on "Ernebank" in 1965 we had Macgregors. One time in Calcutta discharging bulk wheat and trimmed well by the stern, when closing the Macgragor cover on No.3 hatch in a blinding monsoon deluge, the covers ran away from us and fell into the hatch opening breaking the starboard side connector chain in the process and leaving the lead hatch section dangling only by the port chain.
Needless to say, the more we tried to fix the calamity and the heavier the downpour we never succeeded in resolving the issue until the weather improved. Grain was soaked but was taken anyway.
I'm not complaining about Macgregors but when it came to providing surface ventilation of gunny and jute cargoes the only method seemed to be raising the steel hatch sections up on their wheels whilst in the closed position. Was there another remedy?

Johnnietwocoats
24th April 2011, 18:45
In Bank Line, the "Forresbank" (1962) only had slab hatchcovers, tarpaulins and rolling hatch beams but the "Taybank" (1963) had Macgregopr hatch covers.
I remember when I sailed on "Ernebank" in 1965 we had Macgregors. One time in Calcutta discharging bulk wheat and trimmed well by the stern, when closing the Macgragor cover on No.3 hatch in a blinding monsoon deluge, the covers ran away from us and fell into the hatch opening breaking the starboard side connector chain in the process and leaving the lead hatch section dangling only by the port chain.
Needless to say, the more we tried to fix the calamity and the heavier the downpour we never succeeded in resolving the issue until the weather improved. Grain was soaked but was taken anyway.
I'm not complaining about Macgregors but when it came to providing surface ventilation of gunny and jute cargoes the only method seemed to be raising the steel hatch sections up on their wheels whilst in the closed position. Was there another remedy?

Hi Alistair:

Spent 16 months as Senior Apprentice on the Streambank before transferring to the Cedarbank in Australia for repatriation at the end of my time...

McGregor hatches where a continual pain in the Butt and just some more deck spaces to paint.....LOL

Wooden Slab hatches were always my preference....

Left Bank Line after my time and went to Caltex....

No bother there...Just round holes in the decks for cargo....LOL(Pint)

John Dryden
24th April 2011, 19:16
I thought the McGregor hatches were a pain in the ar** after the Olivebanks wooden hatch covers,at least then we could pull a tarp over the beams pretty quick when it rained.On the Gowanbank and the Shirrabank I never attempted to open or close them without a crowbar in hand.