lost touch

wee bobby
14th April 2006, 22:42
anybody from the Cairnline out there--Avon-Gowan-dhu (K)

dom
15th April 2006, 07:16
same ships diferent times,were you on the gowen or dhu when it ran into the office wall in montreal.i think it was capt percy, up the river hard a strb. hold her on the spring,well the spring broke and she ended up with her fo'cle in someones office and 10 ton of bricks on top of the windlass

fredkinghorn
15th April 2006, 08:08
I remember that well dom, and it was Cpn. Percy.

fred

" spring came a little late that year "

dom
15th April 2006, 08:23
there was always jobs on the cairn boats ,but trying to get up the road before we sailed from leith, what with them deep tank lids and all those bolts,and they were always pooping them on the way back from montreal,winter time that is[notwhite poop from another thread],aother good thing was you could pay of in leith and work by with dinwoodies shore gang at 3 time the pay,good times

dom
15th April 2006, 08:31
remember the avon when she ran into some realy foul weather coming home,if i remember rightly she was a coal burner ran out of bunkers and burnt anything they could,also trying to make the tide at leith and trying to top the gear at the same time,steam on deck,no steam or we wont make the tide,pause while i wipe my eyes.

dom
15th April 2006, 08:39
gibsons,was another story,joined one in irvine,friday afternoon cargo of sulpher,got on board and the gally was on fire,the diesel drip pan on the gally fire had carbonend up, diesel all over the gally deck on fire put the fire out across the road to the pub,every one in there and the wharfies,told the mate then went home for the week end

fredkinghorn
15th April 2006, 10:03
Dom, I think it was the old " Cairnesk " when she ran into foul weather. She burned everything ,doors,mess tables, the lot. She was scrapped in 1959. She had made 204 round trips between the U.K. and Canada.
The " Cairnavon" had a fire aboard in Leith docks in 1956, 3 crew died. She was scrapped in1968 in Shanghai.

fred

" dirty little coaster ....... "

dom
15th April 2006, 10:28
right,mind was in mutrual,ithink she wiped every thing of her starboard side

R651400
15th April 2006, 10:57
gibsons,was another story,joined one in irvine,friday afternoon
What was the name of the Gibson boat?

dom
15th April 2006, 11:05
What was the name of the Gibson boat?
crichton 1964

wee bobby
26th May 2006, 22:56
STILL NO LUCK!! bobby morton-John(tabnab)ellis -john cavanagh-herby watson-jimmy rae-ronnie devlin----WHERE ARE YOU???????