Gan Island

rushie
15th April 2006, 00:04
Hi all,

I do believe that my dad took the last BP tanker into Gan, to top up the RAF before they left - it was the Briish Loyalty in 74.

My mum was on board at the time and described it as "the most magical place" she'd ever visited.

Anyone got any photos..?

Cheers,

Rushie

mcook
15th April 2006, 03:32
Check out the gallery, Rushie. There
are some in there.

malcolm

rushie
15th April 2006, 08:09
Thanks Malcolm,

Seen those in the gallery...it does look loke heaven.!

I think my mum still has some of the Loyalty there, so when I can get to them, I'll put them in the gallery

Rushie

gwzm
15th April 2006, 16:18
Hi Rushie,
There's a couple of photos of Gan in my gallery.
All the best,
John/gwzm

rushie
15th April 2006, 20:08
Cheers John...much appreciated,

Rushie

Tony Maskell
16th April 2006, 08:40
Rushie
The last time I visited Gan Isalnd was when I was C/O of the Clyde Explorer in 1963, at the time the SAR officer who was ex BP too, and acted as the Pilot for berthing was my Best Man, we had sailed together he as 2/0 and I as 3/0 on the British Scientist in 1956.
Tony Maskell

cessna
26th October 2006, 17:10
Am just getting around to exploring this site, Rushie, but would like to add that I was a 4th Year Apprentice on the British Maple when she was the first tanker to call at Gan in October 1959. Discharged 1000 tons of gas oil and a similar amount of beer! Yeah, it was magical, great swimming among the coral reefs and what hospitality! The RAF sent out a DC3 Dakota to look for us - first time I'd used the Aldis at a plane. "Follow Me" took a bit of doing! Nearing the atoll, a big launch guided us into the entrance. The whole base turned out to moor us and swam out with the floating pipeline. All invited to the Officers' Mess for big party, then all back to our ship to continue! All blotto. Sailed with big hangovers narrowly missing cocktails invitation aboard HMS St Brides Bay". Wow!
Regards
Rod

King Ratt
26th October 2006, 17:32
Try the RAF GAn website on http://www.gan.philliptsmall.me.uk/index.htm

rushie
26th October 2006, 22:18
Cheers,

My mum's got some photos, so next time I visit I'll borrow them and post them.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Rushie

Derek Roger
27th October 2006, 10:43
Cheers,

My mum's got some photos, so next time I visit I'll borrow them and post them.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Rushie

Couple in my gallery taken in 1965
Derek

King Ratt
27th October 2006, 14:36
I visited Gan Island while serving in RFA Tidesurge in 1968. Was there for about a week topping up the airfield's fuel hulk (RFA WAve Victor). Remember going snorkelling one afternoon and in about 3 or 4 feet of water saw a fine pair of long legs and thought I had drowned and gone to heaven. They were attached to a very bonny RAF Air Quartermistress who was the only other female on the island at that time apart from the NAAFI lady. She was, as she put it in her Geordie accent, already took! (The AIr QM, not the NAAFI lady).

phillip tickle
11th May 2008, 03:38
Hi all,

I do believe that my dad took the last BP tanker into Gan, to top up the RAF before they left - it was the Briish Loyalty in 74.

My mum was on board at the time and described it as "the most magical place" she'd ever visited.

Anyone got any photos..?

Cheers,

Rushie

Hi Rushie,Yeh I went to Gan Island in the 70s and believe me it was just like paradise if there is such a word,it is one of many hundreds of low lying athols in the Indian Ocean where the sea is as clear as crystal.
Phill Tickle

mike pen
5th June 2008, 19:38
hi rushie,i was on the wave victor 1961,we took her to gan,it was my first trip i was stunned at the wonderful site,we anchored in the lagoon,and the maldivians swam out to us,passing bananas up to us, and we were throwing coins down to them,they then would dive down to retrieve them,one woman on the island then,wvrs,and beleive she was flight sargeant,s wife,also saw my first mantor ray one night,on our way back out to the ship,after that we were put up in one of the raf billets, until they flew us home to lyneham,so first time on a ship and a plane.we did stop a port said on the way there to have her painted up. regards mike.