Benlawers in Kobe

EBenarty
16th April 2006, 21:20
I was talking to a good friend on the phone today . We got yacking about the Benlawers in Kobe( Iwas 2nd Mate and he was3rd Mate ) !! We were woken at 0300 with the fire alarms, No 1 hatch was open and a cargo of cotton was on fire, The passengers' lounge was sprayed with petrol or paraffin and set a fire under Captain Buck Rogers cabin. The bridge was wrecked, charts destroyed, moorings were cut and the ship was adrift in the dock . . . we could've gone down well with a Yorkshire Pudding that night, but what the gravy would've been like defeats me! There were several DUBIOUS culprits, but I'm staying quiet on that . . .
Good news . . . Buck was OK!

Benn
22nd February 2008, 00:14
I was 3rd Enginner on that trip, my first in Ben Line and I remember the incident well.

Clif Bell
5th October 2009, 15:01
I was talking to a good friend on the phone today . We got yacking about the Benlawers in Kobe( Iwas 2nd Mate and he was3rd Mate ) !! We were woken at 0300 with the fire alarms, No 1 hatch was open and a cargo of cotton was on fire, The passengers' lounge was sprayed with petrol or paraffin and set a fire under Captain Buck Rogers cabin. The bridge was wrecked, charts destroyed, moorings were cut and the ship was adrift in the dock . . . we could've gone down well with a Yorkshire Pudding that night, but what the gravy would've been like defeats me! There were several DUBIOUS culprits, but I'm staying quiet on that . . .
Good news . . . Buck was OK!

I was on the Lawers when that happened. I was a 5th Eng. and had come off port watch at Midnight . Went into the Officers bar and met up with the lads comming back from a run ashore.About 0300hrs the Leckey - think his name was Stuart - left to go to bed and barged back through the saloon doors shouting smoke in the allyway. We rushed out and found a fire in the passengers lounge.Raised the alarm and I think 2nd Lecky woke the passengers and evacuated them, while we fought the fire.The fire was put out and everyone was running around checking for damage when other strange things as mentioned happened.Police were called and everyone investigated, with no outcome! I can tell you no one slept at ease the rest of trip.