Rotoiti and Rotorua

david
17th April 2006, 07:05
Thse two used to call periodically in Brisbane till last year or so.
The Rotoiti was painted in ANZDL colors.
I have not seen them for some time.
Anybody know their fate?
Regards
David D.

flyer682
17th April 2006, 07:22
For the answers you require, see separate thread entitled "Union Rotorua and Union Rotoiti"
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2356

Rutts
17th April 2006, 07:50
I think you will find "Rotorua" and "Union Rotorua" are not the same vessel.
"Union Rotorua" was the RoRo we all know about and she was was never renamed "Rotorua" after her stint as a power station in "Aucklands hour of need" and her final departure. ANZDL did charter a LoLo for the Tasman Trade that was named "Rotorua" but did not last long.

royal viking
19th April 2006, 08:20
does any one remember captain stewart

Jan Hendrik
6th May 2006, 04:54
All is known about Capt Stewart, I sent you a PM.
Did you see the paint sample in Mt Wellington?
Jan

John Hawson
11th May 2006, 07:48
Does anyone know if Capt Ken Proctor, Ships mater of Union Rotoiti for Uion Shipping, stayed on after ANZDL merger?

royal viking
19th May 2006, 23:27
what was the rotoiti and rotorua like as for handling rough seas anybody know

Jan Hendrik
20th May 2006, 00:44
I sent you a PM about capt Stewart, did you receive that?

There is a Union reunion in Auckland once a year in November and there is another one in Wellington, so anybody who was affiliated with the company can go there.

I have an answer for your last question too, have to check it first.

PKiddell
11th July 2006, 06:39
undefinedundefinedThse two used to call periodically in Brisbane till last year or so.
Anybody know their fate?
Regards
David D.

PKiddell
11th July 2006, 06:47
Hi David. Cp Rotoiti still sailing between Melbourne.Sydney. Auckland. With the take over of CP ships by Hapag Lloyd the CP prefix is to be removed from all their ships so she will revert to just Rotoiti. Possible she will change her run by the end of the year.
Regards Rotorua trying to update but know she was in Singapore ,and gas turbines were removed,not sure when this happened.

Jan Hendrik
12th July 2006, 02:26
As already mentioned earlier, you can obtain more news about these ships on following thread:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2356

Otherwise go to the search engine and type the name of the vessels and they will appear with stories.
Jan

Bill R
17th July 2006, 11:10
Does anyone know if Capt Ken Proctor, Ships mater of Union Rotoiti for Uion Shipping, stayed on after ANZDL merger?

Ken Proctor has retired and lives in Glenfield Auckland NZ
Usually see him at the annual USS Co reunion held in November

Regards Bill Ross

Dave Edge
18th July 2006, 03:53
I believe "Rotoiti" is to be withdrawn at the end of this year.

Rutts
18th July 2006, 09:29
Hapag Lloyd has confirmed the end of the Ro Ro service is as a result of a diminishing breakbulk market namely in commodities like timber.

Also Hapag offer six mainline weekly services on the Tasman. The need for additional container space on Rotoiti has lessened.

Also other factors such as high fuel costs and exchange rates are also determining factors.

They didn't mention anything about she is an old ship that must be getting near the end of her economical life.

(Cloud)

mverrills
4th August 2006, 06:29
Thse two used to call periodically in Brisbane till last year or so.
Anybody know their fate?
Regards
David D.

Hi just joined as a member and saw your request.
Rotoiti arrived in Sydney at lunch time yesterday 3/8/06 and moored at 5 darling harbour
Earlier in the year it was being called CP Rotoiti and had a cp funnel and now it sailing with Hapag Lyod colours on her funnel
Hope this is of any help
Mark Verrills

Rutts
17th October 2006, 08:42
Hapag Lloyd have announced today that voyage 865 will be the final voyage for "ROTOITI" with the westbound voyage ETD AKL 19 Nov, SYD 23 Nov and arriving in MEL 26 Nov.

They state Rotoiti has had a successful and popular presence on the Tasman since 1977. They go on and thank their "loyal" customers for their support on this service over the years and also thank those involved in the professional and service orientated management of the vessel over the past 29 years.

There is no mention of what happens to the vessel after Melbourne.

mverrills
9th November 2006, 22:21
Rotoiti arrived in Sydney yesterday in what is to be her 2nd last trip acording to Rutts
Does any one know what is to happen to her?
Mark

Jan Hendrik
10th November 2006, 00:39
Most likely going to be scrapped. I try to get on board when she calls Melbourne next week.
Jan