Yewbank, Laurelbank

Cyberzia
19th April 2006, 00:41
I was a Radio Officer on these two Bank Line ships circa 1964/65 sailing worldwide routes and had a very interesting time to say the least. Is anyone still around who served on these vessels?

pete
19th April 2006, 04:11
Sailed on the Laurel 12/4/65 until 18/5/66 Master W.W.Creber. South Pacific, Nauru, Bangladesh/India and of course East and South Africa (Playhouse,Durban.......yum yum). My first trip with BL as 3/O then pushed up to 2/O. Fun Time...........................pete

david harrod
20th April 2006, 15:22
I sailed on the Laurel for a short time reound PNG to finish my time, late '67 I think, can't remember who was the old man; I paid off in Rabaul and flew to Fremantle via evry airpotr in PNG and Australia

R58484956
20th April 2006, 15:59
Welcome Cyberzia to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

soapy
20th April 2006, 23:30
did my first trip on the Yewbank , joined in hong kong , Sept'66,Capt. rutherford in command.ten month's later transferred to Avonbank in H.K. Capt.J.smith. down to pacific islands,loaded for home,paid-off in Liverpool Nov'67.a great time.stayed with Bank Line until July'76.,
regards to all ex bank line lads out there,soapy.

Tad
4th January 2007, 15:30
Hi! I was Sparks on the Laurelbank Dec 72 until June 73 running India, Sri Lanka, East and South Africa, Indonesia and Europe.
Crew list for that voyage
Capt. Carl Johnson and Wife
C/O Don Sutherland
2/O Dave Bunker
3/O Hugh Thomas
C/E Ghosh Dastidar
2/E Jimmy Dirks
3/E Tony Horsefall
4/E John Charters
5/E Willy Lozowy
6/E Mark Beale
1/Elect Bruce Buchan
2/Elect John Done
Dk Cdts Bob Thomas & Dick Ireland

Finally last but not least Bill the cat. A fine robust ginger fellow.
I thought Bill was a bit of a stange name for a cat but found out
later that the word for cat in Hindi and Urdu is "Billi" so it must have
been via the Indian crew that he got his name

K urgess
4th January 2007, 15:39
Hi, Tad.

Sailed with Davey Bunker on the Weirbank in '70/71. See

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/37008/si/Bunker/what/allfields

Sailed with Tony Horsefall when he was on the Weirbank same time. Both of 'em are on this

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/36823/si/horsfall/what/allfields

Great times

pete
4th January 2007, 19:47
The Cat came on board in Japan (Third Engineer I Think)as a kitten and was known for the rest of that voyage as "Hairy Legs". She (I think) was great fun as a kitten ....................pete

The Captain
27th July 2007, 01:17
The R/O on the "Laurelbank" March '65 to June '66 was Dave Spicer from Everton. He was soccer mad so you can imagine what he was like during the world cup!! Was on her the same time as "Pete" and was my first ship.
Master: W.W. Creber
C/O: Mister Wilson
2/O: John East/ "Pete"
3/O: "Pete" / ????
R/O: Dave Spicer
2/E: "Yogi Bear" a big chap from around Newcastle
6/E: a lad from Ceylon - Gunawadina (I think) called "TED"
Apprentices: Chris Moran, J. Singleton, L. Selwood
The rest I can't remember. The cat, yes, I remember the cat, we had to lock it in the customs cabin in Aussie and NZ cos they didnt want it disappearing. The cat had shore leave all over the world and like others at sea with time available did not necessarilly come back to the ship till just before sailing, but unlike some others the "Cat" was always onboard and under No. 4 hatch forward port cargo winch (Cats cabin) on sailing.

John S.

Bill Aitken
16th June 2009, 01:53
I was a Radio Officer on these two Bank Line ships circa 1964/65 sailing worldwide routes and had a very interesting time to say the least. Is anyone still around who served on these vessels?
I sailed on Yewbank. Joined her in Tampa then off to India via Durban for bunkers. Back down coasting east/south/west Africia, then paid off in London.
I was a cadet and my cabin mate was a guy called Roger Godfrey from melton mobrey. One other cadet from Liverpool. Scottish Mate 5th and 6th engieers. Chinese Chippy Irish sparky. Hard and great times.
Joined Speybank next in Liverpool and off to Hamburg (==D).

daveL
29th May 2010, 18:55
First time having a go at writing in, but have followed the SN site with interest for awhile. So, without a life, jacket here goes!
Laurelbank- remember (just) sailing on her when we rescued the crew (or at least the lucky ones) from the SS Universe Defiance in 1977. For a first tripper the experience was humbling. Standing by waiting for a salvage tug, a burial at sea of one of their unfortunate crew and the survivors eventually landed at Dakar, it was one hell of an introduction to the MN.
It only surprises me that with the loss of life and a large tanker, I`ve never seen any other reference to the loss.
Or should I watch this space?

rangan27
23rd September 2011, 19:03
I sailed the yewbank as a second engineer-far east south africa-1968-1969 with Capt Rutherford-during the viet nam war -to saigon- cambodia-never got paid danger money by bank as we were innocent bystanders taking all the risks- alas-the shipping company is no more-did sail the Sprucebank later around the uk coast

gerry winter
24th September 2011, 11:02
hi pete
just a quick reply re laurelbank the crew list on that trip was as you stated tha c/e was a anglo indian? known as the wee man by the3/e john kelly 4/e was my self gerry winter the cat was attributed to me but I rather think it was moran the cadet who rescued it in chitagong the 3/e jumped ship in newcastle australia and I was bumped up 3/ein chitagong after doing six on six off watches from aus to east pakistan wasnt bangladesh back then do you remember the collision in the anchorage with bow at 45 degrees repaired in durban got a newspaper clipping some where the ship with bloody nose entering harbour as a headline nice to know the cat sailed on wonder where it paid off? wwe paid off in calcutta and flew home to the uk regards gerry

Alan Rawlinson
25th September 2011, 08:05
Seems cats on Indian crew ships were usually - Billy

I had one in the stone age - on the Maplebank with a white crew. They painted it (her) in all colours when she passed by trying to be friendly. Couldn't have done her coat much good and the RSPA was nowhere in sight! Fed her on tinned pilchards bought in S Africa, and now I eat them myself, which brings back memories of Billy.

The Master was Capt. Ford, ( first name Billy) He sailed with his wife, who seemed to be the real Master, giving orders regularly. When she would wander out on to the bridge deck looking for him and calling out ' Billy, Billy' we were never sure which Billy she meant.

, Hi! I was Sparks on the Laurelbank Dec 72 until June 73 running India, Sri Lanka, East and South Africa, Indonesia and Europe.
C/O Don Sutherland
2/O Dave Bunker
3/O Hugh Thomas
C/E Ghosh Dastidar
2/E Jimmy Dirks
3/E Tony Horsefall
4/E John Charters
5/E Willy Lozowy
6/E Mark Beale
1/Elect Bruce Buchan
2/Elect John Done

Joe C
26th September 2011, 18:11
Seems cats on Indian crew ships were usually - Billy

I had one in the stone age - on the Maplebank with a white crew. They painted it (her) in all colours when she passed by trying to be friendly. Couldn't have done her coat much good and the RSPA was nowhere in sight! Fed her on tinned pilchards bought in S Africa, and now I eat them myself, which brings back memories of Billy.

The Master was Capt. Ford, ( first name Billy) He sailed with his wife, who seemed to be the real Master, giving orders regularly. When she would wander out on to the bridge deck looking for him and calling out ' Billy, Billy' we were never sure which Billy she meant.

My seagoing pilchard memories predate Bank Line.
We were on the Wendorian,KE VII's training ship rolling our way to Lowestoft from the Thames Estuary and I ended up in the pantry scraping plates of uneaten pilchards into the slop bin,It all comes back to me now! I hav'nt eaten a pilchard since.

Clive Puttock
7th October 2011, 18:40
Also sailed on her early 70's. Remember the bloody cat! Hated me and had to get the steward to remove her fm the radio room as she was spitefull!!
About 50 ports in 9mnths - fantastic

No R/T tho which was a shame and 100 watts of sheer power
gave me many hours trying to qso GKA fm the far east!! Ending up at GKA I spent may hours on the pacific watch remembering how difficult it was to get tfc across - great days!!

bones140
11th October 2011, 09:34
Hi! I was Sparks on the Laurelbank Dec 72 until June 73 running India, Sri Lanka, East and South Africa, Indonesia and Europe.
C/O Don Sutherland
2/O Dave Bunker
3/O Hugh Thomas
C/E Ghosh Dastidar
2/E Jimmy Dirks
3/E Tony Horsefall
4/E John Charters
5/E Willy Lozowy
6/E Mark Beale
1/Elect Bruce Buchan
2/Elect John Done

Hello Tad.
Would Dick Ireland be the same Richard Ireland from Bury Street as the cadet supervisor?

smithax
6th December 2011, 14:51
I was on the Laurelbank - June 66 to May 67 as 2nd trip Apprentice.

I joined in Calcutta and left at Hamburg. Master H Barker (Barber?) and J Hobbins.

Bit of a thread drift.
I seem to remember when joining in Calcutta that the ship had damage on the f'c'stle after a collision off Chittagong and dry docked in Durban. Does anyone else remember this?

Andy Smith

pete
12th December 2011, 19:50
Oh yes smithax, I remember it well as I was on the bridge when it happened. Capt. W.W.Creber was in command ?? and it was off Chalna where we took a bit of a lump out of the City of Guildford.......pete

Alan Rawlinson
13th December 2011, 09:59
Oh yes smithax, I remember it well as I was on the bridge when it happened. Capt. W.W.Creber was in command ?? and it was off Chalna where we took a bit of a lump out of the City of Guildford.......pete

Hi Pete

Bit of a long shot, but I sailed with an apprentice called Creber on the Westbank in 1953 ( Durban to Immingham) - wonder if was the same chap? It's not such a common name. Was Capt Creber a long time Bank line man, I wonder?

Mike Agate
24th May 2012, 08:49
I served on the Yewbank 20/10/67 to 6/10/1968 as 3rd mate.

rangan27
24th May 2012, 13:16
hi mike- you might remember me-i was called raj and we used to hang out together many years ago during our time on the yew along with capt rutherford and the two cadets-one was charles-they threw the cat overboard to spite the capt-pl e mail me at

rangan27@yahoo.com
i am in canada now