MS Updates

John Rogers
19th April 2006, 01:01
Microsofts latest update MS-06-015 KB 908531 is causing a lot of problems with Winows XP.
Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 918165
Last Review : April 15, 2006
Revision : 1.0
SYMPTOMS
After you install security update MS06-015 (908531) (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspx), you may experience one of more of the following issues:• Unable to access special folders like "My Documents" or "My Pictures".
• Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the "My Documents" folder.
• Office files in the "My Documents" folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office.
• Opening a file through an application's File / Open menu causes the program to stop responding .
• Typing an address into Internet Explorer’s address bar has no effect.
• Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect.
• Clicking on the plus (+) sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect.
• Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the “My Documents” folder.

CAUSE
The MS06-015 security update package installs a new binary, VERCLSID.EXE, which validates shell extensions before they are instantiated by the Windows Shell or Windows Explorer. On some computers, VERCLSID.EXE stops responding. The following have been identified to cause VERCLSID.EXE to stop responding:
• Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software. There have been reported issues where HP software causes the VERCLSID.EXE process to stop responding. In particular, HP's Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon (Hpgs2wnd.exe) which ships with: • HP PhotoSmart software
• Any HP DeskJet printer that includes a card reader
• HP Scanners
• Some HP CD-DVD RWs
• HP Cameras
Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon can be found in the "C:\Program Files\hewlett-packard\hp share-to-web\hpgs2wnd.exe" folder. Share-to-Web is auto-started from both the Startup menu and the Run registry key.
• The VERCLSID.EXE process is flagged by Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall (http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm) has a feature which flags any attempt by an application to launch another application for the user's approval. Kerio is flagging Explorer.exe's launch of VERCLSID.EXE. When this occurs, VERCLSID.EXE’s execution stops until the user clicks through Kerio's notification dialog. Users can configure Kerio to allow VERCLSID.EXE to execute without prompting.

John

thunderd
19th April 2006, 01:13
Can someone please explain everything after the first word.

John Rogers
19th April 2006, 01:19
Derek,if dont have XP dont worry about it. The update messed up my machine and the better halfs. many people upset with Microsoft.
John

billyboy
19th April 2006, 01:48
Hi John. how do you think about deleting XP and going to the old windows 98 prog mate? I had no probs with that, but since i changed to XP my computer goes crazy at home, thats why i spend so much time in internet cafes. my home PC has a mind of its own, even dials up the internet when no one is near it and it has been idle for a while??? I have had all the components changed with no success. various experts have had a go at it and reprogramed it to no avail. i have been very close to taking it round the back and smashing it up many times I can tell you. the IT experts just say "well...i dont know why its doing that"... "thats not possible...but its doing it now"
I give up John. any sugestion are most welcome mate

John Rogers
19th April 2006, 01:55
All I can say Billy is to format the hard-drive and make sure everything is wiped clean,then re-install win XP and see how it does. If it does the same thing re-format and install Win 98. I have three PCs in the house all with XP and I have had no problem until to day and I soon fixed that by doing a Restore and clicked off the automatic updates.
John

thunderd
19th April 2006, 05:21
Derek,if dont have XP dont worry about it. The update messed up my machine and the better halfs. many people upset with Microsoft.
John

Actually John I also have 3 computers in the house on a network and all using XP. I have not loaded the update as yet and obviously will avoid it like the plague now, thanks to you for the heads up.

pilot
19th April 2006, 10:43
Actually John I also have 3 computers in the house on a network and all using XP. I have not loaded the update as yet and obviously will avoid it like the plague now, thanks to you for the heads up.

Use XP and the update has speeded up my PC. Strange or what?

Pompeyfan
19th April 2006, 11:19
I have XP and an HP Scanner, and although it seems to take over on start up, once everything comes on line, everything seems okay, and I get Windows updates. Other than that, I have no idea what you mean John as my knowledge of computers is nil. I have got an HP camera, and found that a real pain, so took it out. Other than that, fingers crossed I seem to be okay.

benjidog
19th April 2006, 11:39
Warning: Those of a nervous disposition should not read this posting! (LOL)

Sadly the quirks of Windows in all its varieties will be with us for a long time to come. Most of the updates issued by Microsoft are to close "holes" in the software that have been exploited by people with either malicious intent or more time on their hands than sense.

If you think about it, PCs are complex pieces of equipment which most people take for granted. Even the same make and model of machine can have different hardware components inside it. Then you start installing a whole bunch of software from various suppliers on it. Then you probably install various microsoft fixes and service packs over time. And on top of that there are the various types of hardware you connect to them - each with its own driver - printers, scanners, graphics tablets etc. etc.

Overall it is not surprising that changes can affect some people but not others. Based on my experience, the older your machine is the more likely you are to have problems with updates and the latest software because supplier testing tends to be done on the latest kit.

So what to do? Very difficult to answer this one. Some companies have decided not to implement XP Service Pack 2 as it caused a lot of problems with certain machines. But I would certainly recommend installing the security updates on top of XP Service Pack 1. One thing to remember is that you should be able to remove these fixes if they are causing a problem by going to your Windows folder where you will find files with names like $NtUninstallKB822603$. Double-clicking the appropriate file should uninstall that particular fix. Which is fine if you know which one is causing the problem. If you are of a disciplined nature you could take note of the fixes applied, or at least the dates they are applied which would narrow down your search. I personally keep details of all changes made to my computer in a simple change log which shows the date and nature of the changes made.

(PS: I am moving this thread to the Computers and the Internet forum as it is misplaced here.)

Regards,

Brian

jim barnes
19th April 2006, 13:41
Can someone please explain everything after the first word.
I read it twice...? gave up :@

John Rogers
19th April 2006, 14:55
Go to the winows update site and type in the above number and you can read for yourselves the damage the update has caused.
I can not put it any plainer for you to read.
John

R58484956
19th April 2006, 15:27
Many thanks John for the above info, looks like it has not reached my pc yet, will watch out. Thanks.

Andy
19th April 2006, 16:11
I can see that little Windows update icon staring at me from the system tray, I just need to resist the urge ;)

John Rogers
19th April 2006, 16:43
Andy the number of the update causing the problem is KB 908531.
John

Dave Woods
19th April 2006, 17:36
Well gents I have had it on my two machines for 6 days now with no ill results!

Best regards

Dave Woods.

benjidog
19th April 2006, 18:07
I have had it installed on two machines for two days with no adverse effects either.

Which confirms the point I was making in an earlier posting on this thread.

Brian

John Rogers
19th April 2006, 20:23
Brian my Laptop is a month old and my desktop is a year old and it effected them, I could not right click on a icon and use the send to.
John.

newda898
19th April 2006, 21:23
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for posting that. This explains why my dad's secretary was having problems. I was over there fiddling with it this afternoon. I'd heard about an update causing trouble, but it never crossed my mind as being the root of the problem.

benjidog
19th April 2006, 23:31
Bloody frustrating isn't it John - and there is no way of predicting who will get unlucky. I had a problem recently after a similar security patch installation and my machine kept hanging. Before I got round to fixing it the fault went away after I installed a later security patch!

I work with large companies and they tend to test each patch on a sample of machines before letting it loose on the rest of the company. That and building machines from standard images reduces the likelihood of this problem having a major effect on the business; I say reduces but it does not remove it completely.

Of course that is no use to individual users who don't have that luxury. In effect we are reliant on trial and error. Some of my friends have given up on Windows entirely and use Linux. Not so easy to fix if you get problems though - and you are obliged to grow a beard and wear sandals! (LOL)

Regards,

Brian

flyer682
20th April 2006, 00:11
The vagaries of computers. It's been installed on my computer now for a week (via an automatic update) and hasn't caused me any hassles...........yet

KenLin39
20th April 2006, 02:22
After reading messages went to add / remove programs and found it there. No problems yet on this laptop. Strange. Ken.

calvin
22nd April 2006, 18:01
i changed my internet explorer to mozilla firefox its stopped a lot of problems i was getting as it asks you if you like to update mind if you report the problem to microsoft there have never heard of theses possible why folk are looking at the free linux all in one programmes.great to use and not much virus or hackers using the system.

KenLin39
9th May 2006, 14:02
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for posting that. This explains why my dad's secretary was having problems. I was over there fiddling with it this afternoon. I'd heard about an update causing trouble, but it never crossed my mind as being the root of the problem.

Hey boatyboy, did your fiddling with the secretary fix the problem. lol.

R798780
9th May 2006, 16:52
No problems from the updates - yet. I won't hold my breath. Main PC is dual booting so I can take the backdoor with Win 98. Had to reinstall my camera download software onto 98 even before the automatic MS updates, can't get it to install properly on XP.

Can't get shot of XP, sadly, the grandchildren wouldn't forgive me if they couldn't play their games. My own best games run under DOS on the old machines.

Where I work people mention Linux and Unix with the look on their faces that you get with the first cold beer at the end of a long hot day, then Microsoft is mentioned and their expressions are reminiscent of suffering a particularly nasty hangover.

benjidog
9th May 2006, 23:59
Hugh,

Unix and Linux have many advantages over Windows. One of them is not that it is easy to troubleshoot problems unless you are a fully qualified, sandal wearing, long-haired nerd.

If you think Windows is difficult to fix, don't even think about changing unless you are prepared to become a fully trained Unix/Linux techie. Play with it by all means - I can recommend either Suse Linux or RedHat.

Regards,

Brian (semi-housetrained half-nerd)

newda898
14th May 2006, 21:17
Hey boatyboy, did your fiddling with the secretary fix the problem. lol.
lol, I would like to point something out here...I was fiddling with the computer and NOT the secretary (*))

And yes thanks. It did solve the problem so all is good.

Pompeyfan
26th June 2006, 21:54
I had problems with Windows update which affected Windows Media 9, and conflicting with other programmes meaning I could not search or use system restore to an earlier date. It also affected Norton Anti Virus 2005. Had to get computer chap in who reinstalled Windows without having to do a full retore thank goodness. It cured the problem putting eveything back, but Norton would not reinstall, so had to upgrade to 2006. All is well now touch wood. But I am not sure if this is anything to do with the Windows update problems mentioned in this thread, or just me?. My 5 year old great grandson knows more about computers than me?!. David